Others Completed SpacEscape -Chibi Edition- [v0.55] [Urielmanx7]

3.00 star(s) 7 Votes

jadex

Jun 1, 2017
Wow, can't believe this game came back.
Unfortunately, because most of the doors in the skill rooms are bugged, there's no way to actually progress sometimes.
You just have to pray when you activate a door, and if it doesn't work your run is over, because reloading and trying the door again doesn't yield different results.
I'll wait a few versions to try this game again.

Nov 22, 2018
I know Flash doesn't work, but my point is why change the artstyle entirely instead of building upon the origin's art?
It's better to ask author directly for his art style. Maybe he wants a light style for a light game?
Anyway, he said he will use original art style when he do the SE remake. According to .

SonaraFox

Jul 6, 2017
its amazing that after all this time this dude still can't properly make a door that works or controls that don't override each other or even controls that make sense. Dash with no other inputs other than down to crawl? Why cant we just... hold down to crawl? It really is just spending years making the same shitty buggy mess that has a good potential concept with terrible execution. the only way this is getting done properly in a way that actually feels good to play would be to invest in a coder to do all the technical stuff. Honestly its such a waste of time that could be spent just making animations and art in general and putting out worthwhile content.

gdrocker

Nov 17, 2018
DON'T USE THE SAVE POINTS. As saving function is not available in this version, and THE SAVE POINT IN THE DASH ROOM WILL MAKE YOU STUCK. As I mentioned before.
Whether or not you use save points at any stage of the game, the Dash Room will soft-lock you regardless. Merely pressing the 'R' button to reset the current room will, in addition to removing the character's acquired power-ups at that stage ("as I mentioned before"), cause most doors in and out of rooms to stop functioning as they ought to. Test this for yourself in the Slide or Double-Jump Rooms; it's not an isolated problem in regards to the save spots.

This version of the game is fundamentally broken... and speaking of "broken", if you press the Enter key, you can access a menu that will show you things like your character's status or the ability to alter their costume and weapon to a slight degree. The problem here is that while you can use Space or the 'X' button to move into different menus, none of the buttons will take you out of the respective menus, forcing you to press Enter again to entirely exit the pause screen... and if you do that, none of the buttons for navigating the menu (save for Up/S and Down/W) will work again until you enter a different room.

DoorFive

Dec 3, 2019
This is what 8 years in development get you. And people finance these lazy scams.
Uriel does have a patreon, yes, But mostly only for tips. It's not like he's milking it or anything. He's getting what, $24 a month from it? Your blowing it out of proportion. Do your homework next time.

Reactions: Ariyana
Nov 22, 2018
Whether or not you use save points at any stage of the game, the Dash Room will soft-lock you regardless. Merely pressing the 'R' button to reset the current room will, in addition to removing the character's acquired power-ups at that stage ("as I mentioned before"), cause most doors in and out of rooms to stop functioning as they ought to. Test this for yourself in the Slide or Double-Jump Rooms; it's not an isolated problem in regards to the save spots.
Just tested and found out more information about the bug-lock in the Dash Room.
The bug will appear when you pass through the save room's red door. No need to enter, just passing through can trigger it.
So, the way to avoid it is not to go near the red door (also tested that jumping through it will not trigger).
In fact there is no exit and nothing special but another soft-lock area after the red door, so it's better to just get the Dash and leave using the entrance.

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
I remember original Space Escape from years ago.
Glad to see see that Urielmanx7 is alive and kicking making H-games.

moohoo

May 13, 2018
Honestly I feel the other way around.
The simplicity of this artstyle fits the style of animation(Stiff objects being translated and distorted) better.
I'm gonna also buck the trend and say I prefer the chibi artstyle to the orginal

meh65

Aug 8, 2016
Pretty much, I went on his blog just to see around about when the "chibi art rework" started, and whilst it did happen around the time he started work on godot, he 100% wasn't saying "this game is a spin-off whilst I just learn godot" and every change was intended for the main game.

This was toward the end of 2017, so he has been learning it for years. Back then people were complaining about the new art, saying how "child-like" it looked, which 100% was true, it wasn't good, at all. I assume he must have went "oh fuck people are actually not liking this and are leaving, they're gonna hate the main game, let me go "haha haha this is just for the spin-off whilst I learn, totally!" to appease people"

The amount of time the game has taken, even with the engine switch, coupled with his either shitty or brush-off attitude (can't remember which one, maybe both, brush-off 100% though) this game can get f'd in my honest opinion.
This game is older than breeding season. Which literally birthed patreon's popularity. Ya.

imercenary95

Jul 19, 2017
Steam? TRASH!

Games for Windows? I'm holding out for the Gamespy Network edition.

Oh and I guess the game is neat. Nice to see Urielmanx7 didn't completely die (didn't he start SpacEscape like a decade ago?)

Amgresr

Aug 10, 2017
Wow this is trash. Years of development for a game that soft locks you when you PLAY THE FUCKING CONTENT. I honestly thought this had stability since its 0.4 but this pre-pre-pre alpha shit. I like the art style but needs some serious work done to it before its content is playable. Even the original on its "Final" release had bugs out the ASS.

TimThrall

Feb 19, 2019
Why is this guy getting so much Flak? The points being made are valid, I understand that chibi art styles are not really popular, but do we have to be this harsh on the guy?

I've been following him for awhile and while not actively following I do know that he is a fairly active developer who also takes makes sure to let us know where things are at and why he's moving so slow (which is more than what some devs do just updating whenever they feel like it).

He also admits to being a lazy dev as he will more often stream games than work on the game. But never once haven't I really seen anything that doesn't look like he's trying. He's a single developer working on the coding to the artwork.

Also yes I believe this art style change was a change in taste by the developer, also I believe it was his way of having an easier art style that still look reasonably good. He is lazy...

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
(didn't he start SpacEscape like a decade ago?)
If not earlier than that, but my memory is fuzzy. But yeah it's been around for ages and I remember that he sometimes goes months to a year without even working on it. At the very least he's changing from working on flash so that's a thing that may help I dunno. And I don't think he ever charged for the game before as it was always a hobby and the game was free so can't complain really.

But if they choose to go serious now and get more support then that's another story, as they would have to not only show some stable consistency, but also improve the quality overall because by the looks of it... how come he's keeping the same quality level from 10 years ago thus not showing much improvement at all?

3.00 star(s) 7 Votes