[Stable Diffusion] Prompt Sharing and Learning Thread

daddyCzapo

Mar 26, 2019
I just did a batch generation using settings:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
With hires upscale by 2 times, and it took ~48 minutes. I must get myself into tweaking settings a bit to make the most of my gpu without running out of vram..
Oh, and here are some of the pics from the batch:

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
I just did a batch generation using settings:
With hires upscale by 2 times, and it took ~48 minutes. I must get myself into tweaking settings a bit to make the most of my gpu without running out of vram..
Oh, and here are some of the pics from the batch:
Higher resolution on it's own doesn't do much for quality. Hires steps is what makes the big difference for details and image quality.
If the hires steps is set to 0, it does the same amount as the sampling steps I believe. It's a good idea to set the hires steps to 20-30, or to 2x the sampling steps if you wish to keep the composition and with a low denoising strength like less than 0.3

daddyCzapo

Mar 26, 2019
Higher resolution on it's own doesn't do much for quality. Hires steps is what makes the big difference for details and image quality.
If the hires steps is set to 0, it does the same amount as the sampling steps I believe. It's a good idea to set the hires steps to 20-30, or to 2x the sampling steps if you wish to keep the composition and with a low denoising strength like less than 0.3
Does the number of hires steps make a huge difference in vram usage? Right now i had 70 sampling steps and 70 hires steps, as it was set to 0. And i can't upscale the 512x512 image more than by 2, even 2.05 crashes.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Mr-Fox

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
Does the number of hires steps make a huge difference in vram usage? Right now i had 70 sampling steps and 70 hires steps, as it was set to 0. And i can't upscale the 512x512 image more than by 2, even 2.05 crashes.
I have not done any tests but probably. 70 steps is overkill for both sample and hires. You get more out of it with 20-30 sample steps and 40-60 hires steps imo. Try out 20 sample steps with 40 hires and see how high you can set the multiplier.
Then you can play a bit with denoising. Set it low if you wish to retain the composition 0.3
Also don't forget to use the cuda memory "fix". It gives a small boost.
Add "set PYTORCH_CUDA_ALLOC_CONF=garbage_collection_threshold:0.6,max_split_size_mb:64" to webui-user.bat
I have not done any test with different threshold settings, 64mb seems to work well for me, this is probably dependent on your Vram.

*I forgot to say that the image ration makes a big difference for vram. A wide image means more pixels and more vram, so go with either portrait (narrow with x height) or landscape (wide with x low height).
I use 512x768 and my multiplier can go to 2.5 but is more comfortable at 2.4 .
You can use this ratio (1.5) but stay under 512, meaning w<512. Example 384x576 or 400x600 or 424x636 etc.

Last edited:

Mr-Fox

Jan 24, 2020
I have 10GB. End up maybe 900x1500 images. Hires 30.
You didn't understand me correct. I meant how high can you set the Hires multiplier ("upscale by") and what will the end resolution be? If you use 512x768 like me and the maximum multiplier 2.5 the end resolution will be 1280x1920.
My question is: how much will your 10GB Vram give you ? what is your max settings?
I have an old pascal card, RTX 1070 8GB.

Oct 19, 2019
You didn't understand me correct. I meant how high can you set the Hires multiplier ("upscale by") and what will the end resolution be? If you use 512x768 like me and the maximum multiplier 2.5 the end resolution will be 1280x1920.
My question is: how much will your 10GB Vram give you ? what is your max settings?
I have an old pascal card, RTX 1070 8GB.
I can do about 1140x1900, from 600x1000 upscale by 1.9

Reactions: Mr-Fox