Ren'Py Stellar Crossroads [v0.50] [Xavster Gaming]

3.40 star(s) 8 Votes

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
In the UK and Australia (where Xav lives) it IS Civilisations NOT Civilizations. Civilizations is American. When in Rome...

Other words they spell differently include colour vs color, armour vs armor, humour vs humor, whilst vs while, flavour vs flavor, neighbour vs neighbor, labour vs labor and so on... this is by far NOT an inclusive list, merely an example. Not all English is American. We altered it to suit our own purposes here in the states. Folks abroad find our spelling just as foreign looking to them but neither is incorrect.;)(y)
Yes, PapaPhat, that is what I said, it's correct in 'the King's English'.

Yes, We colonists had the audacity to change it. However, there are other words that have similar and slightly different meanings. And there are 'sayings' that just don't work in our 'colonial English.' All this adds up to why I came up with a complete US ENGLISH translation which, when it comes out, can be read by Americans with out worrying about the differences. PLUS, it will read 'smoother' and make 'more sense' to Americans.

BTW, I've been told by Xavster that since ver 0.20 is already out, the US English translations will not be available until ver 0.30, which is appropriate. So when it is, please try the game with US_ENGLISH translations and see if you don't recognize the difference.

And as they say in UK, Cheers! :cool:(y)

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Given the early stage of development, I have not committed myself to any additional tags at this time. Tags will be added with future releases. If I add too many tags at this time, I restrict creative freedom. Hence I have tried to find a suitable compromise.
Sweet, after your previous game, that's a good news to have one more from you.

As for the tags, it is reasonable, but could you maybe add tags that will NOT happen?

The drawback of not putting planned tags, is that people might start playing, and much later on, when you add something that people may not like, and those players have invested a lot of time in the game and got attached to characters, there'll be a shit storm brewing :)

joryh

Nov 8, 2021
Ok, it's your favorite word, but my god. "Whilst" I don't want to come of as too huge of a dick, may I suggest a thesaurus? Egads, gadzooks even. Reading the lore is a whilst-fest.

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Yes, PapaPhat, that is what I said, it's correct in 'the King's English'.

Yes, We colonists had the audacity to change it. However, there are other words that have similar and slightly different meanings. And there are 'sayings' that just don't work in our 'colonial English.' All this adds up to why I came up with a complete US ENGLISH translation which, when it comes out, can be read by Americans with out worrying about the differences. PLUS, it will read 'smoother' and make 'more sense' to Americans.

BTW, I've been told by Xavster that since ver 0.20 is already out, the US English translations will not be available until ver 0.30, which is appropriate. So when it is, please try the game with US_ENGLISH translations and see if you don't recognize the difference.

And as they say in UK, Cheers! :cool:(y)
If it's all the same to you, I prefer Xav's King's English. I've grown accustomed to it.
Sláinte, Phat:devilish:

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well gotta say that it was bit non-eventful update but still funny and it took a while to figure how to make that ore export (which is bit slow atm) to work and had something to do even quite a much of it was wandering around station.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
Not all English is American.
Ok, yeah, that makes sense.
One that I noticed watching youtube is Z. here. It is just Z in other counties. It's Zed.
I'm currently working on an Engrish translation of the game. :LOL:

Edit: Sorry, I'm currently working on another game for the translation.
This game reads very well. I'm very impressed with this game. A big improvement from the start. Small things like showing sweat in the forest scene with the MC and Krog.
One thing I did notice is the facial expressions (are to me) sometimes not correct to the dialogue. Say an expression of slight surprise to dialogue that should not require a reaction like that. But it could just be me seeing that.

Last edited:

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Everything's very nice but quite a short update: storyline didn't go that far. I feel bummed.

:cry:

Reactions: ubira

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
And now....back to my MOD of Callisto machinations... boil and bubble....toil and trouble...eye of bat...web of doom....where the hell did I put my spoon?
Professor, professor, the spoon you seek is in your ass, but now you must remove it. I fear a concentration of gas. Alas, you might enjoy this sensation however, now is not the time for such deviation, a mod you must complete for the F95 nation. :LOL:

Reactions: PapaPhat

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
Two girls joining us for the price of only one update.
Oremining is a little bit like Mass Effect 2 scanning, except there won't be indicators helping you before launching your probe. Would be nice if the launched probes at least gave some indicator in what direction to find more ore, or in what direction to look for the center of the node you hit? It's a bit sad when all six gold probes are in the 0.2 - 0.9 range, though maybe it's also meant to be that way?

Anyway, pancakes now?

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

erkper

May 16, 2018
Then you are playing the wrong game
Or he's part of the (probably large) part of the player base that wishes the game was either a straight VN or at the very least had some of the QoL improvements that Callisto featured (hints, blue/silver/gold stars, etc) so you aren't aimlessly clicking locations trying to figure out if there's SOMETHING to do...

Much as I loved Callisto, the utter lack of any guidance in this sandbox format is really hurting my enjoyment of the game. Between this and Interim Domain, I'm really starting to feel that two of my favorite devs on this site both hit a serious sophomore slump. And that makes me sad. In this case, it feels really wrong, too, because I can see a fantastic story in the making here, and the sandbox isn't that different from Callisto, it's just the utter lack of direction that is off-putting.

Reactions: SpyderArachnid

SpyderArachnid

Jul 31, 2017
Or he's part of the (probably large) part of the player base that wishes the game was either a straight VN or at the very least had some of the QoL improvements that Callisto featured (hints, blue/silver/gold stars, etc) so you aren't aimlessly clicking locations trying to figure out if there's SOMETHING to do...

Much as I loved Callisto, the utter lack of any guidance in this sandbox format is really hurting my enjoyment of the game. Between this and Interim Domain, I'm really starting to feel that two of my favorite devs on this site both hit a serious sophomore slump. And that makes me sad. In this case, it feels really wrong, too, because I can see a fantastic story in the making here, and the sandbox isn't that different from Callisto, it's just the utter lack of direction that is off-putting.
Kind of my only issue with it as well. Usually not a sandbox person myself, but I loved Callisto because there was guidance on how to proceed. This one is really confusing, and I don't get all these systems or how they are supposed to work. I didn't even know I had to pass the time to see the next part of the story. Thought just clicking on a location, that some event would happen, but got nothing.

It's really my only issue right now. No guidance or anything to tell you what to do. I don't understand this mining system or processing(?) system at all. Plus in Callisto, there was that list to let you know what events were available and where to find them. Here there is just nothing, or I just haven't seen it yet.

I'm interested to see where this goes story wise, but I think the sandbox needs some work. Better explanations of the system, maybe examples or something, and some guidance so we aren't just wandering aimlessly with no idea what to do (I seriously thought the update ended when the sandbox started, until I came here and saw screenshots of things i haven't seen yet).

• Angry
Reactions: KenneX and erkper

erkper

May 16, 2018

I'm interested to see where this goes story wise, but I think the sandbox needs some work. Better explanations of the system, maybe examples or something, and some guidance so we aren't just wandering aimlessly with no idea what to do (I seriously thought the update ended when the sandbox started, until I came here and saw screenshots of things i haven't seen yet).
Exactly. I found Skylar and had a couple of scenes featuring her, but I have no idea if anything else is going to happen or if I reached the end of the update and am just grinding for no real purpose. I find it really odd that Xavster and others on the dev team have talked about learning so much from their work on Callisto, but then they just drop the players in a sandbox with no hints/guide/explanation at all. When needing more guidance was one of the biggest complaints through the middle of Callisto's development, and those kinds of QoL improvements came steadily through the middle and end of the game.

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
Professor, professor, the spoon you seek is in your ass,
but now you must remove it.
I fear a concentration of gas.
Alas, you might enjoy this sensation
however, now is not the time for such deviation,
a mod you must complete for the F95 nation. :LOL:
HHHmmmmm cute quotes, I see you like to make
some of them quite funny
but when it comes to wanting mods
you might try throwing money...

So in the middle of Callisto I am grinding
and some nice upgrades I'm finding
but the road ahead is loooonnnggg and greasy
and for motivation...best I do respond
not to "you must or bust" but . . .more like pretty, pleasey!

and if you'd like to know what I have in mind
a neat cheat tool you'll never find...
for I mean to challenge you...and up the difficulty of the game
then sweeten the thoughts of those thumping hearts
to give more pleasure to your body parts.

So sweat and think about I might have done
to enhance the story and make it more FUN
two dozen changes already... are in the bag
And I plan even more, and that's no gag!

So if you're a Callisto lover, never fear...
for when this mod comes out,
you can buy me a beer.
Cheers! :devilish::cool::p

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
Exactly. I found Skylar and had a couple of scenes featuring her, but I have no idea if anything else is going to happen or if I reached the end of the update and am just grinding for no real purpose. I find it really odd that Xavster and others on the dev team have talked about learning so much from their work on Callisto, but then they just drop the players in a sandbox with no hints/guide/explanation at all. When needing more guidance was one of the biggest complaints through the middle of Callisto's development, and those kinds of QoL improvements came steadily through the middle and end of the game.

Patience Gentlemen....Patience.
If you were to go back and look at Callisto at Ver 0.20 you'd find much to point out as well.

This is a going to be a BIG world and Game. Unlike some games where the whole thing is mapped out in the first chapter...and then doesn't go anywhere...what you are seeing at this point is the building of a foundation of something big. You have you noticed that the station is not even fully implemented yet?

World building takes a lot of effort and Xavister is hard at work doing that. Yes, I agree. We know the game needs work and players need more/better guidance. It will be forth coming. Right now we're just getting the pistons in, camshaft timed and the ignition set up.

Your comments have been heard and we are working at making Stellar Crossroads a great game and as we get more components in the engine and start to run it, we'll add the help and instruction manuals needed.

After all, when you get to start shifting the transmission...you'll want to know where to drive this adventure.

3.40 star(s) 8 Votes