Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

kotte

Feb 11, 2018
I don't think you know anyone who actually has their birthday on or near Christmas. Growing up, they usually didn't get double presents, they were just told that the presents they received were for both Christmas and birthday. ;)
Well, that was kind of what I was going for. I mean, I can't play both games at the same time... :cool:

Reactions: Dragon59

Raife

May 16, 2018
Lots of devs do this. It's like the LI apologizing to the MC for not being a virgin. It's covert slut-shaming.
It's also lazy-ass, derivative writing: it's a line that is used all the time in TV and movies, as well as these games, and I suspect almost never in real life.

20 years ago, I was involved in quite a few random hookups... and at no point, mid-hookup, would any dude say this to their random hookup! Think how insulting it would sound... :eek::sick:

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
Well, that was kind of what I was going for. I mean, I can't play both games at the same time... :cool:
Sure u can, it's just a matter of how much you want it=). It's your birthday and christmas afterall :p.

And Chasing Sunsets?. I mean, you can flip a coin as many times as you want and it'll always end up being a high quality AVN. Everything else is just personal preference. I for one played the 0.4 version of it back then and I really liked the very beginning of it when the MC told the story about how his parents met.. That was really well done and written, imo. But I still had to jump ship quite early afterwards from what I remember. Like the whole background story that never wanted to end. With him traveling the world, being caught up in war scenarios and whatnot....He's like more than the jack of all traits, he's the king of all traits :p. Not very immersive in my mind. Afterwards I remember a couple of awkward lewd scenes in which you either participate in revenge fucks or hook ups with married women (I hope i'm not talking bs here since it's been a while). Well, that's basically when I stopped playing.

Well, and as for Derealization. EndlessNights just convinced me to give it a shot..

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I've now tried _Derealization_ twice... and failed to finish the current build on either occasion.
Did you happen to get to the gas station scene? If not, I think you might appreciate the anarchic absurdism of it. I absolutely loved it and found it brilliant. Seeing that scene in the previous update is what really made Theia click in my mind as a truly essential character. It'd be far too cruel to ask you play a game you haven't enjoyed for a third time, though. (Please play it again, Raife! ...Gimme the keyboard back, Theia.)

I'm a major _Hillside_ fan, despite the fact that it's cheesy, reductive, and the MC is a bit of a male power fantasy. At its worst, the game can be a bit like a lower quality episode of _The OC_ -- and I hate Dark Blue's stated intention to transform Emma into an LI. Gross AND creepy. :sick:

_Chasing Sunsets_ is a lovely game to look at, but it 'jumped the shark' for me (and jufot) a couple episodes ago. I'm not sure if I'll play the update.
I'm basically the opposite of you here because I chose to quit Hillside after the last update but still play Chasing Sunsets. I opted to quit Hillside because I decided its portrayal of Emma was just too problematic from my point of view. I felt like the game gives you no real option to maintain proper boundaries between the MC and Emma -- even though I presume the player will be able to turn down romancing her eventually, it still bothered me the MC couldn't keep her out of his bed or just let her have the bed while he stayed up and kept watch.

We've talked before in this thread about Emma's actual and canon ages, and I've decided that one of the weirdest things about her is that she basically alternates between every age from 2 to 18 across different scenes. She simply isn't a believable character (though I've seen speculation about her having a developmental disability, I don't think the plot really supports that). I suppose the idea was to portray someone who is becoming an adult but is still holding on to a lot of childish things, but Emma can be so immature and so completely lacks self-awareness in certain scenes that the premise doesn't really ring true. She can be so completely childlike and so completely unaware that she's acting like a child that it doesn't feel like she's maturing or growing up at all. Even though I enjoyed some of the heartwarming moments with Emma and the MC, her character and the relationship as a whole just feel really off to me.

As for Chasing Sunsets, it's a game I love to play the wrong way. My two favorite playthroughs have Alex romancing neither Jaye nor Mallory. Alex plays the field with other commitment-phobic characters while at the same time he struggles badly to try to convince two girls who don't really want to think of him as family to nonetheless accept platonic relationships and the role of sisters. That's a rebellious attitude to take towards a game that stresses its two main love interests above all other characters (and Jaye above Mallory) and far values romantic love over familial love, but I've had a lot of fun playing that way. I'm particularly looking forward to the new update since there's supposed to be a Fiona scene and she's my favorite of the side girls (or, as I like to call them, "main girls").

Playing the "right" way seems less satisfying in comparison because Jaye and Mallory haven't been consistent characters. I don't have an up-to-date Jaye or Mallory save so I'm speculating a bit, but I guess some of the inconsistency is there to accommodate a possible harem/throuple route that doesn't seem to suit who they are (or at least who they were originally presented as being) at all.

Last edited:

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
As for Chasing Sunsets, it's a game I love to play the wrong way. My two favorite playthroughs have Alex romancing neither Jaye nor Mallory. Alex plays the field while struggling to convince two girls who don't really want to be his family to become his sisters. That's a rebellious attitude to take towards a game that stresses its two main love interests above all other characters (and Jaye above Mallory) and far values romantic love over familial love, but I've had a lot of fun playing that way. I'm particularly looking forward to the new update since there's supposed to be a Fiona scene and she's my favorite of the side girls (or, as I like to call them, "main girls").
Interesting playstyle, but isn't Jaye (or Mallory) his sister while the other is just a journalist or something?. Or is it like a story twist?. Because otherwise it sounds a bit creepy the way you wrote it =)

• Haha
Reactions: EndlessNights

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
And Chasing Sunsets?. I mean, you can flip a coin as many times as you want and it'll always end up being a high quality AVN. Everything else is just personal preference. I for one played the 0.4 version of it back then and I really liked the very beginning of it when the MC told the story about how his parents met.. That was really well done and written, imo. But I still had to jump ship quite early afterwards from what I remember. Like the whole background story that never wanted to end. With him traveling the world, being caught up in war scenarios and whatnot....He's like more than the jack of all traits, he's the king of all traits :p. Not very immersive in my mind. Afterwards I remember a couple of awkward lewd scenes in which you either participate in revenge fucks or hook ups with married women (I hope i'm not talking bs here since it's been a while). Well, that's basically when I stopped playing.
I feel like many regulars of this thread would enjoy Chasing Sunsets at first glance, because the dialog is well written and the characters all have their own distinct personalities (if we ignore the PC, who seems to have the exact same personality as the character he's talking to in every moment). But when it comes to putting the "adult" into the AVN, there are so many cut corners that the story only hardly makes sense.
The whole premise of the PC running away, because he feels conflicted about his feelings for his stepsister, gets immediately thrown out the window, because the players get the choice to simply ignore it, if they think another character is hotter. It's never explained what he's so conflicted about, because it needs to be open ended enough to allow the player the option to antagonize the stepsister, without it being completely nonsensical.
On top of that there's a flashback scene in the new update, where the PC met up with his parents and they told him they always knew about him and his stepsister and were very supportive. So, with this meeting taking place before the events of the game, apparently the PC knew that his stepsister felt the same as him and that nobody in their closest circle was ever judging them (their mutual friend even thinks it's hot), how tf did the main conflict of this story ever make any sense?
The PC is also a complete fuckboy with only a few redeeming qualities. Not on purpose, though, because he has to be attractive to every single female character of course. We even get the contrived one-sided "open" relationships with the new update.

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
Interesting playstyle, but isn't Jaye (or Mallory) his sister while the other is just a journalist or something?. Or is it like a story twist?. Because otherwise it sounds a bit creepy the way you wrote it =)
It's a story twist. Jaye is his stepsister while Mallory turns out to be a clone of his dead mother -- it feels awkward to call Mal Mommy given their similar ages so I think of her as basically another sister.

realjitter

Jun 21, 2021
It's a story twist. Jaye is his stepsister while Mallory turns out to be a clone of his dead mother -- it feels awkward to call Mal Mommy given their similar ages so I think of her as basically another sister.
Wow, squeezing in incest at all costs. Watch out for your Fiona=). Things might not be as they look like

• Haha
Reactions: EndlessNights

Raife

May 16, 2018
Did you happen to get to the gas station scene? If not, I think you might appreciate the anarchic absurdism of it. I absolutely loved it and found it brilliant. Seeing that scene in the previous update is what really made Theia click in my mind as a truly essential character. It'd be far too cruel to ask you play a game you haven't enjoyed for a third time, though. (Please play it again, Raife! ...Gimme the keyboard back, Theia.)

I'm basically the opposite of you here because I chose to quit Hillside after the last update but still play Chasing Sunsets. I opted to quit Hillside because I decided its portrayal of Emma was just too problematic from my point of view. I felt like the game gives you no real option to maintain proper boundaries between the MC and Emma
I _should_ like Derealization... there are some objectively good scenes. It's probably a personal thing: the MC reminds me, on some level, of an erstwhile friend who was just a hopeless 'taker' -- leeching off the good intentions of others and leaving disaster in his wake. The MC is finger nails on the chalkboard for me.

_Hillside_ on the other hand, is a rather superbly constructed game with one highly problematic character: Emma. The latest episode split the game into two distinctive branches, one where Emma is an issue, and another where she is much less so:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's now clear to me why Dark Blue screwed up Emma's age... he needed her to have the emotional age of a 12 year old in path 1, and the emotional age of an 18 year old in path 2. Once the junction occurs in this episode, Emma acts in a more appropriate manner for each path... before the junction, she often behaved in an age schizophrenic fashion. It's still a very serious mistake on the part of the dev... but I understand why he fell into that trap.

It's a shame that you stopped playing _Hillside_, though, because the Charlotte and Lucy romances are top drawer stuff. We also learn, on one of the paths, why the MC is so fanatically protective of vulnerable people... it's a resonant moment.

As for _Chasing Sunsets_ -- I agree that it's a very well produced AVN. But the story jumped the shark a couple episodes ago with the clone Mom LI. I mean... dude! Plus, Hilde's comments about the MC are spot on... it is hard to enjoy role playing him.

Last edited:

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
I'd actually be very curious to hear your take on Nothing Is Forever if you ever get a chance to play it. I think there's a good chance you might appreciate the depth of MrSilverLust's characters and the grounded realism of the narrative among other things. This isn't something that just occurred to me, either...I've randomly had the thought, "I bet Tlaero would really like this!" at different moments while playing the game.
I played Chapter 1 recently, and there's a lot that I like about it. First and foremost, the chess games. I don't actually play chess (I prefer Shogi), but the raw love that MrSilverLust shows for the game is super enjoyable. I was riveted to the games, and more than once missed dialog because I was so focused on the game board that the dialog didn't register in my head. And, just in case you weren't invested enough, the "gain relationship points via trying to determine the next move" part was absolutely brilliant. Well done, MrSilverLust!

I liked that characters were changing and growing offscreen. The MC in a game should probably be one of the most important characters in the story, but the whole world shouldn't revolve around him. I felt like this game (from what I've seen of it at least) finds the right balance there.

I like the characters. I like the variety in their personalities and challenges. They are a little bit straightforward but lightyears more complex and believable than is typical in this genre.

I'm struggling a little bit with the MC. I like that he's broken, but I'm not a fan of his particular character flaw. It's good to start with your protagonist in a bear trap. But it's less good when the bear trap is that he's doing this thing, and the solution is to just stop doing that thing. Yeah, he screwed up. But his big screw up was having sex ... in an erotic story. Yes, it was unprofessional. Yes it would have consequences. Yes, it's believable that he'd spiral into self-recriminations. But it's not enjoyable. I kept saying, "You've got friends. Talk to one of them!" The majority of his friends wouldn't even see it as something wrong. Some of them would go so far as to high five him over it. And, I suspect, the majority of players, who are interested in getting into the pants of one or more of the characters, wouldn't really hold it against him either.

All that said, the pros handily outweigh the cons. Really nice work.

Tlaero

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
The MC in a game should probably be one of the most important characters in the story, but the whole world shouldn't revolve around him.
This is one of the main strengths of the Elsaverse games. You always have intersections with events from other games (the bombing for example). And you often encounter characters from the other games (Miranda in Darkness Falls, etc.). It really feels like you what you see in the game is just a glimpse into the life of a character. Most of the games here is more like the MC was born at the start of the game with implanted memories of the past.

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
Tlaero, I'm delighted that you gave NIF a try and I found your commentary really interesting to read. I hope you continue to keep us updated as you play through the game!

I played Chapter 1 recently, and there's a lot that I like about it. First and foremost, the chess games. I don't actually play chess (I prefer Shogi), but the raw love that MrSilverLust shows for the game is super enjoyable. I was riveted to the games, and more than once missed dialog because I was so focused on the game board that the dialog didn't register in my head. And, just in case you weren't invested enough, the "gain relationship points via trying to determine the next move" part was absolutely brilliant. Well done, MrSilverLust!
Absolutely -- the chess games (yes, there's more to come!) are riveting. You really feel the highs and lows of the gameplay right along with Jen. MrSilverLust does a great job taking on a subject that a lot of uninitiated players might expect to be dry, dull, and inaccessible and infusing it with vitality and emotion. Chess definitely isn't just about mathematics, memorization, and winning to Jen -- it's also the way she measures her self-worth, as unhealthy as that is, and a form of self-expression (bacienvu and I once had a great conversation about how Jen's aggressive "chess personality" is completely different from her normal persona). For her, chess IS emotional!

Chess has a very personal context to me, so much so that I wondered if I might find Nothing Is Forever upsetting because of the memories I thought it might stir up. My father (now deceased) taught me how to play the game as a kid, and it's not an overstatement to say we played each other thousands of times while I was growing up. Finally checkmating him after innumerable past failures was a highlight of my childhood. Another memory that stands out is that he failed to teach me about the move until he had an opportunity to make use of it against me in a game...the jerk! It was never about studying past masters or memorizing openings or endgames for me or my dad -- I was happy enough if I could remember to think a few moves ahead.

Nothing Is Forever really made me think about chess seriously for the first time in years, but I didn't find it upsetting at all. If anything, it made me feel reconnected to the game, my past, and, in a small way, to my father. Thanks so much for that, MrSilverLust!

I liked that characters were changing and growing offscreen. The MC in a game should probably be one of the most important characters in the story, but the whole world shouldn't revolve around him. I felt like this game (from what I've seen of it at least) finds the right balance there.
Definitely. To echo what bacienvu said, this is something that both you and MrSL both do fantastically well. Even if your game is set in the future and far from Earth or takes place in a world where magic is a very real force, your characters are always first and foremost relatable and coherent people with their own lives and motivations, and that's true for everyone whether they are major or minor players in the story.

Sadly, most VNs I play make me feel like the characters are made to bend to fit the needs of the plot even if that requires sudden personality or attitude shifts. Sex seems to often makes this problem worse or at least more annoying. Characters too often change sexual orientation on the fly or adopt an out-of-nowhere taste for a kink that isn't casual at all just because a dev thinks a particular scene might be hot.

I'm struggling a little bit with the MC. I like that he's broken, but I'm not a fan of his particular character flaw. It's good to start with your protagonist in a bear trap. But it's less good when the bear trap is that he's doing this thing, and the solution is to just stop doing that thing. Yeah, he screwed up. But his big screw up was having sex ... in an erotic story. Yes, it was unprofessional. Yes it would have consequences. Yes, it's believable that he'd spiral into self-recriminations. But it's not enjoyable. I kept saying, "You've got friends. Talk to one of them!" The majority of his friends wouldn't even see it as something wrong. Some of them would go so far as to high five him over it. And, I suspect, the majority of players, who are interested in getting into the pants of one or more of the characters, wouldn't really hold it against him either.
That's a very fair take. Going forward, the MC's lapse in professional ethics doesn't have to be a defining aspect of his life, though it's a part of his past that will factor into the story and won't be something he can completely escape from. One strength of the game is that it gives the player a lot of freedom to roleplay, and I think it's definitely possible to play the MC as someone who has forgiven himself and largely moved on from the Mel situation as the game progresses. That's how I usually play him myself in most of my playthroughs.

I think you're right that he could have turned at least one of his friends for support. He simply didn't partly because of the isolation and alienation he feels and partly due to his pride. In his shoes, I'd probably have gone to Jamie -- he doesn't come across as a moralist or a stickler for the rules. I think he would've been there for his friend and wouldn't have particularly worried about the potential impact on the sports psychology business even though it's his job to worry about that sort of thing. On the other hand, I'm not sure Emma would have been so quick to forgive and forget because professional ethics and doing the right thing are very important to her. If she learned the truth and judged him to be a dangerous predator, I think that would've been crushing to him.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I think you're right that he could have turned at least one of his friends for support. He simply didn't partly because of the isolation and alienation he feels and partly due to his pride. In his shoes, I'd probably have gone to Jamie -- he doesn't come across as a moralist or a stickler for the rules. I think he would've been there for his friend and wouldn't have particularly worried about the potential impact on the sports psychology business even though it's his job to worry about that sort of thing.
I'd say it is even an obligation for MC to tell Jamie because of the potential impact on the business. If it blows up and he doesn't tell, then Jamie has a right to be very pissed at MC. If he told about it beforehand, Jamie can take precautions etc.
On the other hand, I'm not sure Emma would have been so quick to forgive and forget because professional ethics and doing the right thing are very important to her. If she learned the truth and judged him to be a dangerous predator, I think that would've been crushing to him.
That is certainly true. On the other hand I think Emma would gain a lot of respect and trust for MC for telling about it. One of the big problems with their relationship is that they hide their emotions by hurling insults at each other (or playing humiliation games ...) instead of opening up to each other.

But more than Emma and Jamie, he needs to seek help from a professional psychologist. I don't know what the rules are for admitting to professional misconduct during a therapy session is in his location. But he is very much in need of help. So if not a psychologist, a priest or equivalent would also help.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes