VN Ren'Py Straight!? [Revamp v0.11.1] [Aaryn]

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Body adult man haha
Oh, ok... I see what you're saying now. No, the game will end within the current age context that we're seeing right now most likely. Unless I go crazy at the last minute and change course --which is always possible i guess, i've done it dozens of times before

Reactions: mortimerX

Jedothy

Mar 29, 2020
Just popping in to say that , while I haven't finished all of the content available now, what I already played through surprassed all of my expectations for this game. The writing and the story are really making me feel stuff and actually think, which doesn't happen often with video games.
I also love how focused the story is on our two main guys, letting us have a real shot at understanding who they are and what they are going through. And even if sometimes it makes them feel a bit removed from the outside world, like they're living in a bubble of sorts, for the purposes of the story and what it is trying to convey, it just works™.
The only ''problem'' I would have is that there's pretty much never more than 3 characters in a scene, so a lot of places feel simply desolate but after a while I kinda got used to Zack always being by himself in class.
There's like so many things that this game is doing well that were probably already talked about extensively in this thread so I'm just gonna say, that this is one of the most impactful games I've played lately, and I cannot wait to see where you take this from here. Keep up the good work, luv!

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Just popping in to say that , while I haven't finished all of the content available now, what I already played through surprassed all of my expectations for this game. The writing and the story are really making me feel stuff and actually think, which doesn't happen often with video games.
I also love how focused the story is on our two main guys, letting us have a real shot at understanding who they are and what they are going through. And even if sometimes it makes them feel a bit removed from the outside world, like they're living in a bubble of sorts, for the purposes of the story and what it is trying to convey, it just works™.
The only ''problem'' I would have is that there's pretty much never more than 3 characters in a scene, so a lot of places feel simply desolate but after a while I kinda got used to Zack always being by himself in class.
There's like so many things that this game is doing well that were probably already talked about extensively in this thread so I'm just gonna say, that this is one of the most impactful games I've played lately, and I cannot wait to see where you take this from here. Keep up the good work, luv!
Thank you for the kind words. Knowing that the game is "impactful" means a lot to me. I'm anxious to see how you feel as the game progresses. I'm not sure how far you're in but I definitely think the game gets stronger as it goes. In terms of the minimal characters, I began the game with zero budget so everything is built progressively as it goes. My older machine, the one that was used to build the beginning of the game, took around 12 hours per CG to render and create--some were actually longer and most of us can agree that the quality was garbage. However, as the game progresses, that gets a little better. However, for continuity purposes, I didn't add people in during certain scenes because it would have just been weird at that point. In later scenes, you'll see a few more characters on the screen at a time. I still haven't gone crazy because it just slows me down. In contrast to some other games on the site here, this game still has much longer narratives than other updated games so creating CGs for 2 hours worth of narrative in each update is pretty daunting--add in a bunch of fluff background characters and it quickly gets outta hand for me to do. However, we'll see what happens in the future. After the game story is done, I'm gonna go back and redo the beginning so we could beef up the content a bit--it will definitely look better. I'm just practicing with this version. lemme know when you get to the end of the current build tho..curious to see what you think :)

Jedothy

Mar 29, 2020
I originally finished my single gaming session at the
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
scene because I got so sucked in I just spent about 5 hours playing the game. I was having a blast up to that point and then took a few days break because I was like... ''Where can this story go from here like, it must be the end soon''. Little did I know :' )
The content I've seen so far is just really good. I relate to Zack's struggles a lot with how he loves to overthink literally everything and whenever he's confronted with anything he just peaces out mentally. So playing as him is one of the few times in video games where I can actually clearly empathise with the protagonist. And in so many games the protag is the least interesting person but it's definitely not the case here. So props for that.
I was not expecting to find out that
Basically , what i wanted to say is : We have decided to stan forever. I don't believe I've gotten to the end of the content yet but I'm gonna be taking it slowly to enjoy it while it lasts : )

Reactions: Aaryn and mortimerX

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I originally finished my single gaming session at the
scene because I got so sucked in I just spent about 5 hours playing the game. I was having a blast up to that point and then took a few days break because I was like... ''Where can this story go from here like, it must be the end soon''. Little did I know :' )
The content I've seen so far is just really good. I relate to Zack's struggles a lot with how he loves to overthink literally everything and whenever he's confronted with anything he just peaces out mentally. So playing as him is one of the few times in video games where I can actually clearly empathise with the protagonist. And in so many games the protag is the least interesting person but it's definitely not the case here. So props for that.
I was not expecting to find out that
Basically , what i wanted to say is : We have decided to stan forever. I don't believe I've gotten to the end of the content yet but I'm gonna be taking it slowly to enjoy it while it lasts : )
really appreciate the thoughts here. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Sounds like you still have a ways to go so keep checking in. I'm anxious to see what you think. I like to think it gradually gets better as I figure out wtf i'm doing, haha :p

EmptyPromises

Aug 11, 2020
Hi Aaryn,

I am very new to this forum, also very new to using DAZ. Two things. I don't usually comment on these things. Ever. Extreme social anxiety.

1. I LOVE Straight!? Bruh, this shit hits me in the feels... Hard! Probably because it is just so relatable. I was wanting Zach to just grab Braden by head, pull him in and kiss him in the dressing room. I am only at this point in the story, well actually they just left the coffee shop to go to the hair salon. But anyway, I get why Zach felt he had to ask before doing it. I just wanted him to go for it. I do hope he will stop doubting himself so often. **Fingers crossed**

2. This is a technical question, and not related to the game itself. But is the reason I mentioned DAZ in my opening statement. I just have to know. The 'Kiss'. Not that one in bullet point one, the other one. Like, 'THE KISS' in the park. How long did that rotating camera sequence take to render?

Huge fan of the game. Keep up the great work! It has exceeded all of the expectations I had when I downloaded it.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Hi Aaryn,

I am very new to this forum, also very new to using DAZ. Two things. I don't usually comment on these things. Ever. Extreme social anxiety.

1. I LOVE Straight!? Bruh, this shit hits me in the feels... Hard! Probably because it is just so relatable. I was wanting Zach to just grab Braden by head, pull him in and kiss him in the dressing room. I am only at this point in the story, well actually they just left the coffee shop to go to the hair salon. But anyway, I get why Zach felt he had to ask before doing it. I just wanted him to go for it. I do hope he will stop doubting himself so often. **Fingers crossed**

2. This is a technical question, and not related to the game itself. But is the reason I mentioned DAZ in my opening statement. I just have to know. The 'Kiss'. Not that one in bullet point one, the other one. Like, 'THE KISS' in the park. How long did that rotating camera sequence take to render?

Huge fan of the game. Keep up the great work! It has exceeded all of the expectations I had when I downloaded it.
Well, i appreicate being your exception, man. I'm glad the story has motivated you enough to say hey. I like to think i'm pretty approachable and stuff so yeah, means a lot that you'd post on here :)

I look forward to your reactions as the rest of the game plays out. I think it only gets better from where you are now. I think the first half of the game is the weakest. Promise I get better :)

But "the kiss" animation was my first stab at animation. So I have two answers for you because I actually started rendering that shot around the time that I was able to purchase a new computer with the game donations. My old system was very old and when I initially started rendering that shot, it was going to take me around a month to render it. So I finally used that as a reason to upgrade the system. In my new system, it took around 3 full days. I have a 1070ti which seems to work fairly well. I'm not gonna break any records with it, but it's good enough for what i'm doing right now.

May upgrade in the future though if I decide to go with more animations

EmptyPromises

Aug 11, 2020
Well, i appreicate being your exception, man. I'm glad the story has motivated you enough to say hey. I like to think i'm pretty approachable and stuff so yeah, means a lot that you'd post on here :)

I look forward to your reactions as the rest of the game plays out. I think it only gets better from where you are now. I think the first half of the game is the weakest. Promise I get better :)

But "the kiss" animation was my first stab at animation. So I have two answers for you because I actually started rendering that shot around the time that I was able to purchase a new computer with the game donations. My old system was very old and when I initially started rendering that shot, it was going to take me around a month to render it. So I finally used that as a reason to upgrade the system. In my new system, it took around 3 full days. I have a 1070ti which seems to work fairly well. I'm not gonna break any records with it, but it's good enough for what i'm doing right now.

May upgrade in the future though if I decide to go with more animations
3 days! WOW! Just knowing how long some of my stills have taken, and I'm not even trying to do anything fancy with lighting and whatnot. I knew it could not have been fast. But holy cow! I let it loop at least 10 times, just in awe of how long that had to take. I wanted to make its 'cook' time worthwhile. That and it was just a really powerful moment. lol.

Thank you for your response, it really means a lot to me. Your approachability coming across in replies to earlier posts is what made me feel okay about throwing in my two cents. Keep being you, man.

Reactions: mortimerX and Aaryn

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
3 days! WOW! Just knowing how long some of my stills have taken, and I'm not even trying to do anything fancy with lighting and whatnot. I knew it could not have been fast. But holy cow! I let it loop at least 10 times, just in awe of how long that had to take. I wanted to make its 'cook' time worthwhile. That and it was just a really powerful moment. lol.

Thank you for your response, it really means a lot to me. Your approachability coming across in replies to earlier posts is what made me feel okay about throwing in my two cents. Keep being you, man.
Oh sure thing man. I dont mind at all. I appreciate the feedback from people on the game. While I already know the direction and stuff, a lot of feedback and the general impact the game has had on people means a ton to me. It's what keeps me going when I start beating myself up or get frustrated with stuff. So yeah, messages like this mean a lot and it keeps the heart of the game thumping. hit me up, i'm amateur af, I ain't got nothing to be stuck up about, haha <3

Jedothy

Mar 29, 2020
Just go to the mandatory
and It was fun. Well you know except for like the drama and conflama that has happened there but really I loved everything about that part. Was waiting for the guys to have a chance to finally hang out together so I got my wish.
But mostly what pushed me to write this in the moment is that one shot of Braden and Zack in the
ALSO shoutout to that ''knowing''/''flirty''/''whateveryouwantittobe'' look Braden gives Zack at random intervals, it is the real hero of the story.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Just go to the mandatory
and It was fun. Well you know except for like the drama and conflama that has happened there but really I loved everything about that part. Was waiting for the guys to have a chance to finally hang out together so I got my wish.
But mostly what pushed me to write this in the moment is that one shot of Braden and Zack in the
ALSO shoutout to that ''knowing''/''flirty''/''whateveryouwantittobe'' look Braden gives Zack at random intervals, it is the real hero of the story.
haha, that head down/eyes up shot?
So, i'll embarrassingly admit that when I do the CGs for the game, I actually sorta act out stuff at my desk. Like my face will behave a certain way as I read the text and that's what I capture. I've even taken selfies or gone to the bathroom mirror to try and capture a certain expression that i made. So yeah...i do that downward head thing a lot. lmao. Don't judge :p

GravGrav

Sep 25, 2017
Heh, the mod deleted my comment that called them out for driving Aaryn away because he praised a developer for using a bi-racial MC.

Rather than deleting Aaryn's comment because it "might cause conflict" due to so many users on here being trashy people, maybe the mods should be a positive role model and instead call out and delete any commenters that would have tried to make a conflict from that?

(If any even happened, there's no indication that anyone would have been mad at Aaryn's comment in the first place)

Reactions: MagiLord and KekKoo

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Hey guys,
So update. Site administrators have gotten involved in the dispute some of you know about and while it continues to be a lengthy story, I'm going to formally state that I was pleased with the reaction that I got from Sam, one of the admins here and all deleted posts have been reinstated on this forum. I no longer feel like our comments were silenced as they appeared to be before and am overall pleased with the final decision.

As a result, I'm going to ask that the thread here goes back on topic related to the game and we put this drama behind us because it will just distract from the game discussion and that is clearly against the forum rules. I honestly would like to follow the rules here as we have before. In the long run, the site admin supported me and positive comments related to diversity and is taking steps to try and make adjustments to moderating in the future. I'm onboard with that and have no hard feelings.

So thanks for letting this just go away and return the thread to the game discussion

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Good to see you again, so, when we can expect the next update :LOL:
Loves!
Yep, I appreciate this going back on topic so thanks for that.

I'm currently working on the update but no ETA. This is the hardest (and probably the longest) update in the entire game to write. I've defined it as a very "technical" update from a writing standpoint so essentially what is happening right now is a lot of writing, polishing, revision and then me getting upset with what i have so far and working other things into the mix as well. It's just a complicated update in general. I wrote at length about it on the Patreon page and tried to really reduce how verbally difficult it is for me to explain this update. It's just hard to write and the consequences for writing this update poorly could negatively impact the entire story so I'm taking this update really seriously. So short answer: i'm working on it and it has been and will be a struggle.

Good news: after this update i'm confident all the way to the end of the game.

Since most of you guys aren't on the Patreon site, we're looking at around 3 updates left in the game

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes