VN Ren'Py Straight!? [Revamp v0.11.1] [Aaryn]

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes

Tom4712

Oct 14, 2020
haha, i dont mind. you can give me shit. that's how i show affection to others anyway :p
Then please give me tons of shit, I beg you :love:. I could actually use some affection, you know:D

Last edited:

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Just peaking out from lurking to say, love your work and the tremendous time and talent that goes into each update.

That's all I have to say. Back to lurking. I need to get some work done around the house. Going to replace my thermostats, I'm sure nothing bad could happen.

Tom4712

Oct 14, 2020
Just peaking out from lurking to say, love your work and the tremendous time and talent that goes into each update.

That's all I have to say. Back to lurking. I need to get some work done around the house. Going to replace my thermostats, I'm sure nothing bad could happen.
Hey Unruly, just downloaded your game. I'm really curious how it plays out! Saw the link on Aaryn's Patreon.

Last edited:

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017

lmfao. omg... i'm dead.

Ok, in all seriousness after I got my shit together after laughing at that, thank you. I appreciate it man. Always feel comfortable stepping out of the lurking darkness, I appreciate the comments...especially the ones that crack me up. Shit made my day. haha

In other news, I haven't gotten a chance to check your project out yet. I will but it could be after the next update of Str8...i dont do well playing other games during writing/CGs...it messes with my head...i have serious concentration issues and it usually just throws me off so I have to catch up on breaks

Reactions: Tom4712

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Android? :'(
I don't have one yet. I've put this off for a long time but lately more people have been asking about it so I'm more interested in trying to make it happen. I just don't know how to do it. Right now, I have way too much code for the next update already implemented so even if I figure out how to build one using renpy's software, it's probably gonna be bugged all to shit right now. I'm not opposed to someone making a 3rd party Android port though if someone knows how to do that using the current update. I just haven't had time to do it

Tom4712

Oct 14, 2020
To clarify it further and because I'm bored to death working from home;): There is some optional content you can omit without affecting the story, but the game clearly tells you when. And there is one point in the game where you can be a bit pervy, what will come of this choice we don't know yet. I hope for myself nothing too serious, though:ROFLMAO: Well, got to go back to the treadmill :p

qazcde

Nov 16, 2019
And there is one point in the game where you can be a bit pervy, what will come of this choice we don't know yet. I hope for myself nothing too serious, though:ROFLMAO:
While there haven't been any real consequences so far, there are quite a few places where there is at least some difference in dialogue. I think there's a bathroom scene where you end up with different possible actions too.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Tom4712

Oct 14, 2020
While there haven't been any real consequences so far, there are quite a few places where there is at least some difference in dialogue. I think there's a bathroom scene where you end up with different possible actions too.
You are quite right about this. I just thought that the "pervy scene" is the only one that hints at there being different story paths. Afaik:D

moonieek

Feb 2, 2019
A couple suggestion - just minor stuff.
I think Cody looks way too much like Braden, its kinda weird.
Can we have some cute or handsome Asian guy ? At least as a minor character ? :p

Reactions: Aaryn

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
A couple suggestion - just minor stuff.
Can we have some cute or handsome Asian guy ? At least as a minor character ? :p
can't really change the way characters look in the middle of the story now but I think Cody and Braden are different enough that this isn't a common thing that I hear (maybe the 2nd time someone has pointed out they may look kinda similar). Most people just focus on them independently and have their own feelings about them either way. Braden seemed more of an average build to be (before he toned up a bit) because i wanted a more relatable character in the love interest. Cody, I just decided that he was going to be a hottie no matter way.

In terms of the use of Asian characters: you're the first to mention this but originally I had an Asian character in the game. His name was Jinn. I had two different ways of introducing him, one was like an online gaming interest (originally Zack was going to be more of a hermit and a gamer but the gamer characteristics eventually went to Braden) and another was just a general meeting where Zack actually bumped into Jinn going into the locker room the first time. I ended up scrapping him and a few other models for 2 reasons. 1) I scrapped all other love interests to just tell one good story rather than half-ass several different routes. 2) I really like the idea of a more diverse cast here but I was honestly afraid of my own writing ability and feared that I may fall into cliches and stereotypes. To do that would have completely negated the purpose of having Jinn in there in the first place. So out of a lack of confidence that I could truly do justice to an Asian character, I scrapped him and focused only on the characters that I needed to tell the story that I needed. Eventually, other characters like MF/Max/Ash and Cody got more screentime than i anticipated. I still have Jinn on my drive somewhere. He'll probably make an appearance in something eventually though because I really wanna do something with an Asian character. I just didn't wanna bite off too much on my first try.

moonieek

Feb 2, 2019
Thank you for replying and regarding Cody, maybe it's just me and I'm one of those people who are very good at recognizing and differentiating faces.

As for Jinn and the fear of botching an Asian character up is rather unfounded. Just like the differences between straights and gays, Being Asian and our sexual identity is just one of the many parts that make up that one individual, they still have their fears and insecurities, their preferences and quirks that are independent of being a gay or Asian guy. And an American Asian guy would probably have a lot more in common with Americans rather than say an "Asian" Asian guy like me lol. Just my thoughts, no pressure or anything! Love your work.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Thank you for replying and regarding Cody, maybe it's just me and I'm one of those people who are very good at recognizing and differentiating faces.

As for Jinn and the fear of botching an Asian character up is rather unfounded. Just like the differences between straights and gays, Being Asian and our sexual identity is just one of the many parts that make up that one individual, they still have their fears and insecurities, their preferences and quirks that are independent of being a gay or Asian guy. And an American Asian guy would probably have a lot more in common with Americans rather than say an "Asian" Asian guy like me lol. Just my thoughts, no pressure or anything! Love your work.
Yep, I 100% agree. I was talking about this yesterday with my co-writer in that we easily could have done an American style Asian character (which is what Jinn probably would have been) but back then during the early writing, I was sorta struggling with the independent voices of each of the characters. I think that has gotten better over time (particularly with Mikhail and MF/Max/Ash in the last update). But early on there are only the two main characters because I was afraid to branch out too much. The entire writing, coding, art process was all so new that I was only sticking to writing things that I felt reasonably comfortable with. Definitely was not an oversight to leave out Jinn. The characters included in the story are all symbolic to me for their own reasons. Some are just parts of me split between characters while others are based on RL people that have had an impact on my own journey. For example, Mikhail was based on a really good friend of mine that was a bit younger that I sorta mentored. But in the story here, i flipped the roles and had Mikhail mentor the MC instead. Unfortunately, the area where I live at, has a very low Asian population so there were less models for me to base my interactions off. While I wanted to have a diverse game, I ended up being fearful that my progressive intentions may accidently come off offensive if I tried to write in any type of culture or ethnicity that I was less familiar with. So in time, I just focused on the main characters and left out more of the supporting characters until later in the story when I felt more confident about juggling multiple characters.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. I actually went back through all my early files to find Jinn and he's still there. I haven't looked at him for probably 2 years and he's definitely a rough design. I was gonna render a quick shot to show you but it's pretty bad so i'm not gonna share that now. Just trust he looks better in your imagination than he did in my early days of character design. lmao

<3

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
I don't know if anyone asked this, but have you ever thought of taking your story to a different medium? I was thinking it would make a good internet web series. Like a 15 min live-action shorts released monthly. You have well-developed characters and a fun story, it just seems like that combo would work well in a variety of formats.

Unruly

Tom4712

Oct 14, 2020
can't really change the way characters look in the middle of the story now but I think Cody and Braden are different enough that this isn't a common thing that I hear (maybe the 2nd time someone has pointed out they may look kinda similar). Most people just focus on them independently and have their own feelings about them either way. Braden seemed more of an average build to be (before he toned up a bit) because i wanted a more relatable character in the love interest. Cody, I just decided that he was going to be a hottie no matter what.
I think I was the other guy who pointed it out to Aaryn :) I was just seeing this pic of Cody in the sauna on Aaryn's patreon and thought it was Braden with a different haircut. Although they look quite similar to me, I think they have distinctively different personalities. And that's what it's all about, isn't it? I mean mostly, erm... :p

Last edited:

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I don't know if anyone asked this, but have you ever thought of taking your story to a different medium? I was thinking it would make a good internet web series. Like a 15 min live-action shorts released monthly. You have well-developed characters and a fun story, it just seems like that combo would work well in a variety of formats.

Unruly
I'm always flattered by comments like this so thank you. People have suggested similiarly in the past (like a Netflix show or stuff like that). A webseries would be pretty solid though because I wouldn't have to worry about censoring or anything. I'm sure that's expensive though. The problem, as it always is, is money. I work on donations only and have never had a massive interest in trying to globalize the story, franchise, or whatever. I'm not trying to be a millionaire. I'm just writing it for my own reasons and it's cathartic. It's expensive to make and it's insanely time consuming to write but at the end of the day, it's meant a lot to people and i'm down with that. I wouldn't be against a web series but I'd very much want to be involved in that process. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone is more invested in these characters than i am. I've spent over 3 years with them every day and thousands and thousands of hours with them. I'm not the best out there but I'm the best at seriously caring what happens with this story and I would want to do it justice. I think it would take a pretty hefty budget to do that live action but IDK.

I think I was the other guy who pointed it out to Aaryn :) I was just seeing this pic of Cody in the sauna on Aaryn's patreon and thought it was Braden with a different haircut. Although they look quite similar to me, I think they have distinctively different personalities. And that's what it's all about, isn't it? I mean mostly, erm... :p
yeah, they're very different in personality. Cody is a shy little teddy bear. Braden is just twink jock imo

• Red Heart
Reactions: mortimerX

OcklawahaNightOwl

Jul 13, 2020
Just wanted to say I have been a fan of Gay Visual Novels for a long time. I just finished reading your work and must say that Straight!? is my absolute top favorite. You have impressed me beyond belief. I think I am in love with all of your characters, character development is amazing. I am the emotional type, but I think this is the first time that a visual novel actually made me cry in parts, and not sad tears but just an emotional release. I truly wish I could become a patron but have been out of work since March 13th because of this damn pandemic but please rest assured that once I am back on my feet, you will see me on your page again. Wish you the best and keep up the outstanding work. Thank you for all that you do.

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes