VN Ren'Py Abandoned Strange Gift [v0.12] [Amaraine]

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes

Drakce

Mar 14, 2018
Can confirm 1.10.1 is winnable. I defeated the darkness at it's source on day 50, so had a bit of leeway still, though I did make a fair bit of use of the back button (load empty area = back and try elsewhere; get caught in public = back; fail to learn a skill = back and choose another.)

Tips:
- There is a bonus for the first flirt with each girl each day, but it's still not worth spreading your attention out too widely.
- The scripted girls (Chloe, Olivia, Mia) are essential because you need them to be able to do the rituals in four areas.
- For your first few girls prioritise public BJ's (15 points), allowing you to reduce darkness and build submission during the day.
- If you have darkness low in an area and need a specific girl to complete the ritual, skip straight to 'help me with magic' on that girl.
- Key spells are Summon Girl and Fight Darkness. Don't bother with the others. Only research once you have Olivia able to help.
- Watch for Mia's events or Summon Girl to get her away from the café so you can do more than buy coffee.
- Go to the club whenever it is open as it's the best place to build submission.
- Date a willing girl daily in the church once it's open.
- Magic training is important. 5 is a good number to aim for (5 = summon + fight darkness + summon a different girl for BJ). Going to 8 lets you summon & fight twice).
- Spanking skill is more important than Bondage due to Olivia's event.

Requests/ideas:
- speed up training when appropriate girls ('help with magic' or bondage/spanking consent) are in your home to help.
- threesome/foursome when all girls are willing (would allow really fast darkness clearing in lategame)
- add 'Command' (like Date, but not limited to one per day) with slaves, possibly to set up the preceding (darkness 49 in the church? Tell three slaves to meet you there...)
- the Summon girl menu isn't long enough to include all the girls you might want to summon in the endgame.
- Chloe staying rather than running off once she has been trained sufficiently
I have played game several times but cant win.
1st I did not know how to defeat darkness in every location, but I could incite girls on date at Office
2nd I have defeated darkness in all locations except at Office, but I can not get girls to date me there in spite of that I got key to the office and have several slaves (1 college that I see every morning)

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
You have to defeat the darkness in all still-accessible locations, have a slave, go to the office at night and call your slave with your cellphone.

I haven't beaten 1.10.1 without cheating, mostly because I don't want to use the "back button" method.

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
I *almost* did it. I made one mistake, fighting the darkness at the Cafe once, so now the Office is about to go (59/60) but the Cafe is (46/50). Had I not fought the darkness there once, it would have been lost and my girl would be able to meet me at the office this last night and "win".

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
I *almost* did it. I made one mistake, fighting the darkness at the Cafe once, so now the Office is about to go (59/60) but the Cafe is (46/50). Had I not fought the darkness there once, it would have been lost and my girl would be able to meet me at the office this last night and "win".
If letting the Cafe go lets you win, that's a bug. But I don't think it does. You have to defeat the darkness everywhere. I assure you it's possible (and doesn't require a stroke of luck, or using the "back" key to make sure you end up at locations with the right girls).

One does make a date for the Office, like the Church, but if you go to the Office at Night, you can ask a girl to meet you there at "Late Night", and then use "Pass Time" to wait for her to show up.

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
Then I'm misunderstanding the conditions. If I try to have the final confrontation at the office without having cleared the other locations, I get told so. However, I thought if a location had been lost to the darkness, and it was therefor no longer possible to clear it, it did not count. I had been completely ignoring the church as it seemed only barely possible to clear your home, both clubs, the library and one other.

Simply driving a location to negative darkness isn't enough to allow the final battle ?
I know the condition to "clear" the library and the beach, the pool seems to have a compound condition. The cafe has another condition that I don't clearly understand, although it may simple.

I did pleasantly discover that if you have TWO librarians in your control, research goes quite fast.

Can the ex-nun show up early ? This current playthrough she showed up on day 3 or so.

Now I'm really confused. I thought I'd defeated the darkness everywhere but the church (which is lost), but when I attempt to summon my slave to office, she tells me that we have to defeat the darkness everywhere first.

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Then I'm misunderstanding the conditions. If I try to have the final confrontation at the office without having cleared the other locations, I get told so. However, I thought if a location had been lost to the darkness, and it was therefor no longer possible to clear it, it did not count. I had been completely ignoring the church as it seemed only barely possible to clear your home, both clubs, the library and one other.

Simply driving a location to negative darkness isn't enough to allow the final battle ?
I know the condition to "clear" the library and the beach, the pool seems to have a compound condition. The cafe has another condition that I don't clearly understand, although it may simple.

I did pleasantly discover that if you have TWO librarians in your control, research goes quite fast.

Can the ex-nun show up early ? This current playthrough she showed up on day 3 or so.
The Cafe's condition involves Mia, combined with a circumstance that is reasonably likely to happen if you have the Cafe down. The Church and Club simply have to be brought to zero (and the club location is one location for this purpose, pretty much). It is possible for an ex-Nun to show up early.

Reactions: Canto Forte

Drakce

Mar 14, 2018
to clear all locations all scripted girls must have "Help with magic" and "Be more daring" (public sex) traits
1: Beach - Chloe
2: Library - Olivia
3: Caffe - Mia
4: Pool - Chloe or Mia (scene include both bot do not have to be there at same time) (not sure if have to use them both or not)
- other locations: Just bring darkness down to 0
- office: you must have slave (any girl) and schedule date for Night / Late Night and be there

Drakce

Mar 14, 2018
here are some tips:
Mia at beach: When you click on her it will advance time
when she offer to put sunscreen on here front if you chose no it will raise her submission with your dominance skill value otherwise it will raise her lust by half of your foreplay skill
Mia caffe ritual: there mus be another girl at caffe that that have "be more daring" or "Blanket Consent" or at least "Limited Consent" and does not dislike Exhibitionism

Olivia at beach: When you click on her it will advance time
my recommendation is that you punish her - this will reduce darkness and increase her submission
Olivia at pool: when you click on any other girl she will lose her bikini
after that every time you click on Olivia at pool and there is some other girl present there when you click on here you will have two options:
"She deserves a different kind of punishment" - if she do not like Exhibitionism or do not dress slutty she will like Exhibitionism if not otherwise she will gain 'dress slutty' trait
"Spank her" - raise her submission

Chloe home sex: if her submission is at least 10 or is submissive to you after sex if you choose "The washroom is down the hall" here affectuin will increase by 5 otherwise her submission will raise by you dominance + 3
Chloe at pool: in case she offer you to choose some girls affection If you choose any girl she will increase her affection and lust otherwise you will increase it will raise her affection

Reactions: UncleVT

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017

This isn't a major release, do to holiday and elderly parent related demands on my time, but I expect to have more time in January and much more time in February to work on the game. This release contains some minor functionality tweaks the help stop bad luck from making the game harder, a sex scene with Olivia, and a bit of hanky-panky with Freyja as well.
As always, changelog to follow, and feedback appreciated. :)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

PC version: ,
Mac version: ,

CaptMorgan76

May 10, 2018
Thank you. A live-in aspect is intended -- I didn't like the way the first iteration of that worked, so I pulled it and have been working on other aspects of the game. It will be back when I'm happier with it, hopefully sooner rather than later, but the game will definitely not be complete without it.

Thank you for all the other feedback too, including the negative feedback. The new content in this game is often not meant to be explored sequentially after the old content, but is experienced throughout the game and in some cases would be unavailable after you reach a certain point anyway. My aim is to make a game that people may want to play more than once -- I'm not saying it's there yet. I have suggested on my Patreon that people avoid playing every release -- I release frequently so that a new player can experience the best possible current version of the game, and so that what feedback I get is as currently applicable as possible.

Going back to work on it now.
For the record, I hated both the "roommate and the girlfriend from the early version.. in fact I almost didn't play the updates because of them. Glad I gave it another try.

CaptMorgan76

May 10, 2018
Love all the discussion and feedback. I'm particularly pleased with the description of how TheNamed beat the game -- because it differs in some significant ways from how I beat the game in my tests, and multiple paths to victory is a game design goal.
You REALLY need to reconsider the mechanic of local_evil and perm locking out locations (esp after you lowered it to 50) It took me so long stumbling around trying to figure out what to do at the church that I lost it. I kept waiting for girls to show up there like everywhere else. I only now (too late) read on here that you have to invite one on a "date" there. I don't know about others, but once I know I can't get a clean win I give up on a game, which sucks because I've invested a lot of time into this one.. If you insist on it being like that, then you should include a "2nd chance button" or "go back" for locations that are about to fall or just fell.

Reactions: tossler
May 25, 2017
Save don't work from 0.10.1
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 310, in script call
    call MiaPoolMakeout from _call_MiaPoolMakeout
  File "game/script.rpy", line 92, in script
    call screen locscreen
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 485, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 2, in execute
    screen locscreen:
    screen locscreen:
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 32, in execute
    vbox xalign 0.0 yalign 0.0:
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 33, in execute
    for location in locations:
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 34, in execute
    if ((location.will_be_open() and current_location != home) or (location.is_open() and current_location == home)) and location != current_location and not (current_location != home and hour > 4):
  File "game/02classdefinitions.rpy", line 400, in will_be_open
    if self.unlocked and (checked_day%7 in self.days) and (checked_hour in self.hours) and self.darkness < self.darkness_defeated_level:
AttributeError: 'Location' object has no attribute 'darkness_defeated_level'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 92, in script
    call screen locscreen
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1775, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1763, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 163, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 485, in execute_call_screen
    store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2612, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2565, in interact
    scene_lists.replace_transient()
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 831, in replace_transient
    self.remove(layer, tag)
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 1120, in remove
    self.hide_or_replace(layer, remove_index, "hide")
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 1044, in hide_or_replace
    d = oldsle.displayable._hide(now - st, now - at, prefix)
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 445, in _hide
    self.update()
  File "C:\Users\Dator\Downloads\test\Amaraine\StrangeGift-0.11-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 580, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
    screen locscreen:
    screen locscreen:
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 32, in execute
    vbox xalign 0.0 yalign 0.0:
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 33, in execute
    for location in locations:
  File "game/03screens.rpy", line 34, in execute
    if ((location.will_be_open() and current_location != home) or (location.is_open() and current_location == home)) and location != current_location and not (current_location != home and hour > 4):
  File "<screen language>", line 34, in <module>
  File "game/02classdefinitions.rpy", line 400, in will_be_open
    if self.unlocked and (checked_day%7 in self.days) and (checked_hour in self.hours) and self.darkness < self.darkness_defeated_level:
AttributeError: 'Location' object has no attribute 'darkness_defeated_level'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
A Strange Gift 0.11

Reactions: MacLeod2001

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Same as others, old saves won't work
Even if saves "worked" technically, this time around, they would still warp the game experience significantly, as in many cases the part of the game where Isabella is introduced would be skipped over. When I feel it's not breaking the game experience to use a saved game, I will make it a priority not let it break the code either.

jsas66

Jan 22, 2018
This became a quest for me in a non fantasy way...I was going to defeat the darkness if it was the last thing I did. I did it in easy mode, and within 9 points of doing it in normal mode.

Longer than Bondage Island or Lucretia's legacy. I've always enjoyed the games from this dev.

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes