VN Ren'Py Abandoned Strange Gift [v0.12] [Amaraine]

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
This game is in its infancy, so saved games won't tend to carry over. Thank you for reporting a bug -- that's really helpful and I really appreciate it when people do that!
This yet ? Save incompatibility aren't and never were .
You declare almost everything at init level, just do the same with the scripted girls instead of declaring them in a label. Or ensure that the said label is called at load time.

dce8383

Aug 25, 2017
Sigh... wish devs would realize that constantly forcing restarts due to save incompatibility on grindy games like this result in far fewer players each release. I've done my share of coding, and it's not that hard to be conscious of your variables and where they're introduced. If you really MUST rename something and break saves, do it once every 6+ months, warn/apologize in the changelog for doing so, and leave things the way they are in the meantime. Notepad++ has this wonderful feature called "find and replace in files" that supports regex, so you can do a quick and reliable set of replaces when the time comes. It just takes some coding discipline.

As it stands, I probably won't be playing this again until it's done or "done". Skipping my way through 500+ interactions (when the whole draw is finding new things for each character) is not fun.

Reactions: CaptMorgan76

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
stated many times i am a fan of @Amaraine 's games..but..i do feel a bit empty after playing as you do not actually end up with any of the dames in any sort of permanence romance etc...they are just harem fuck games basically...they are well done harem fuck games..but they are empty..would be nice if things like pregnancy or proper dating..live-in...marriage..something that gives a feeling of connection to the dames was put in...i believe that would vault these games up..

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
stated many times i am a fan of @Amaraine 's games..but..i do feel a bit empty after playing as you do not actually end up with any of the dames in any sort of permanence romance etc...they are just harem fuck games basically...they are well done harem fuck games..but they are empty..would be nice if things like pregnancy or proper dating..live-in...marriage..something that gives a feeling of connection to the dames was put in...i believe that would vault these games up..
Thank you. A live-in aspect is intended -- I didn't like the way the first iteration of that worked, so I pulled it and have been working on other aspects of the game. It will be back when I'm happier with it, hopefully sooner rather than later, but the game will definitely not be complete without it.

Thank you for all the other feedback too, including the negative feedback. The new content in this game is often not meant to be explored sequentially after the old content, but is experienced throughout the game and in some cases would be unavailable after you reach a certain point anyway. My aim is to make a game that people may want to play more than once -- I'm not saying it's there yet. I have suggested on my Patreon that people avoid playing every release -- I release frequently so that a new player can experience the best possible current version of the game, and so that what feedback I get is as currently applicable as possible.

Going back to work on it now.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
well based on the expanded scenes currently available is it safe to guess the first dames that will have life-in etc features would be Chloe Mia and Olivia?...if so 2/3 are excellent :p

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
this game is on version 0.9? how many content there is in the game ?!!
I would caution against using version numbers, in any game, as indicative of anything in particular. I'm releasing roughly once a week, and I have a day job -- so 0.9 could be a 0.02 from someone who releases once every two months and uses a different versioning system. The next version will be 0.10, which will probably look earlier to some folks because 0.10 < 0.9 in math. Obviously, I think the way I'm doing it has advantages or I wouldn't be doing it this way.

Reactions: VolksKrieg

VolksKrieg

Apr 6, 2018
I would caution against using version numbers, in any game, as indicative of anything in particular. I'm releasing roughly once a week, and I have a day job -- so 0.9 could be a 0.02 from someone who releases once every two months and uses a different versioning system. The next version will be 0.10, which will probably look earlier to some folks because 0.10 < 0.9 in math. Obviously, I think the way I'm doing it has advantages or I wouldn't be doing it this way.

there's no problem sir. i was just asking, i am looking for a good game. so that's why i am wondering.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
i like Mia and Chloe..Olivia not so much..she has that hairstyle i just do not like..LOL..my actual fav often is magicless though..visual fav that is....Emily...has a sort of gothy look about her..visually she is the most appealing to me at least.

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
i like Mia and Chloe..Olivia not so much..she has that hairstyle i just do not like..LOL..my actual fav often is magicless though..visual fav that is....Emily...has a sort of gothy look about her..visually she is the most appealing to me at least.
Fair enough. :) I expect to add more scripted characters in the future, but am concentrating on the 3 until I feel there's really enough content for them.

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
I certainly like mia.
Though the goth looked kinda cute on first glance. You do you, eventually everything will be done. Just might take longer for some.

ghostch15

Mar 22, 2018
i keep getting this error and the game is unplayable right now

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 255, in script call
    call CurrentSceneCharacter from _call_CurrentSceneCharacter_8
  File "game/script.rpy", line 117, in script
    if active_char == mia and current_location == pool:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 117, in <module>
NameError: name 'mia' is not defined 

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 255, in script call
    call CurrentSceneCharacter from _call_CurrentSceneCharacter_8
  File "game/script.rpy", line 117, in script
  File "C:\Users\ghost\Downloads\StrangeGift-0.9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1681, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "C:\Users\ghost\Downloads\StrangeGift-0.9-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1794, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "C:\Users\ghost\Downloads\StrangeGift-0.9-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1788, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 117, in <module>
NameError: name 'mia' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
A Strange Gift 0.9

EPGerhart

Dec 24, 2017
Changelog wrote:
The darkness now wins in locations if the darkness level reaches 50, rather than 100.

This concerns me; During my play of the previous version, it got up into the 80s, especially at the Church as it took me a LONG time to find an ex-nun.

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Changelog wrote:
The darkness now wins in locations if the darkness level reaches 50, rather than 100.

This concerns me; During my play of the previous version, it got up into the 80s, especially at the Church as it took me a LONG time to find an ex-nun.
Thank you. This is the type of feedback I love to get. The darkness threshold change was accompanied by several changes that make the game easier, so I'll be interested in people's experience. The ex-nun should appear on day 25 and she's out and about a reasonable amount. With the threshold at 100 I didn't feel there was any challenge at all.

0.10 will be the first version in which it will be possible to "Win the game" (and therefore, possible to fail) and I'll be particularly interested in people's experiences with the difficultly level. 0.9 is close enough to 0.10 in balance that if people are finding it way too difficult to stop the darkness from reaching 50, I want to hear that. I also want to hear if people are finding it trivial and there's insufficient tension. My experience, which is obviously warped by having programmed the game, is that I sometimes have games that are close, but I never actually let a place fall into darkness. There are multiple levers I can adjust to make the game easier or harder.

Reactions: UncleVT

bacchusplateau

May 23, 2017
Thank you. This is the type of feedback I love to get. The darkness threshold change was accompanied by several changes that make the game easier, so I'll be interested in people's experience. The ex-nun should appear on day 25 and she's out and about a reasonable amount. With the threshold at 100 I didn't feel there was any challenge at all.

0.10 will be the first version in which it will be possible to "Win the game" (and therefore, possible to fail) and I'll be particularly interested in people's experiences with the difficultly level. 0.9 is close enough to 0.10 in balance that if people are finding it way too difficult to stop the darkness from reaching 50, I want to hear that. I also want to hear if people are finding it trivial and there's insufficient tension. My experience, which is obviously warped by having programmed the game, is that I sometimes have games that are close, but I never actually let a place fall into darkness. There are multiple levers I can adjust to make the game easier or harder.
Okay, I've played your other games before, and I usually like to give new games time to breathe before trying, so this is the first time playing "Gift".

To be honest, I was immediately frustrated. I felt like I applied for the job of cat sitter to find out I had a giant field full of cats, and I had to get them all back to the barn by sundown.

Restart: Second play through was a bit saner. I still felt like I was muddling through, but I was opening up more areas this time around town, and getting the feel of the place. I think I was concentrating too much on the non-magical girls, because places were overcame with evil and no longer available. Eek! Yes, I had found the help page by this time, and I looked at spells for a bit, but I was all like, "Boring! There's a game to conquer! Pew! Pew-pew-pew!"

Restart: Third play through. Ahh, now it makes sense. By the time I decided that I won, all the girls but two were slaves & every area was darkness free. On how I got the game to that point, I'll hide in a spoiler...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes