• We're currently performing maintenance on the search system, we'll get it back ASAP.

Unity Stuck at Home [v0.3.0a] [Moraion]

3.40 star(s) 49 Votes

y0rthan

Apr 4, 2021
I really try not to "content-shame" developers, but the ratio of "media" to hard drive space feels a bit skewed. Over 7GB? And no animations or sound effects (unless I missed them.) For 7GB I'd at least expect the characters to say their few dozen lines out loud. Or blink. Not sure what benefit the Unity engine is providing either. But OTHER than that, fun "little" game.

Reactions: moi69

Cliff_Edge

Jul 26, 2021
I really try not to "content-shame" developers, but the ratio of "media" to hard drive space feels a bit skewed. Over 7GB? And no animations or sound effects (unless I missed them.) For 7GB I'd at least expect the characters to say their few dozen lines out loud. Or blink. Not sure what benefit the Unity engine is providing either. But OTHER than that, fun "little" game.
The dev is probably using Unity for the minigames, which might be the only aspect of the game which cannot be done in Renpy.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
This is one fucking ridiculous excuse of an XXX game. I have played for hours without seeing virtually anything.

Then again, the game isn't tagged with any sexual activity. So is it a sex game without any actual sex?

solidsgold

Aug 14, 2017
This is one fucking ridiculous excuse of an XXX game. I have played for hours without seeing virtually anything.

Then again, the game isn't tagged with any sexual activity. So is it a sex game without any actual sex?
No sex at all yet. Not sure how you haven't figured that out with hours of play time. It take maybe 30 minutes to finish.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Unity can do current-gen stuff. Renpy is still stuck somewhere around the nineties, with a 2015-ish framework.
Renpy is made for visual novels and nothing else. It's made to display (simple, low resolution) pictures and no video basically. People found ways to handle that, but it's not really supported by pygame (for modern use) which is what Renpy is driven by.

Unity can do everything and more. You can even integrate 3D in visual novels.
Also, renpy doesn't natively compress media, which Unity does on demand.

If you do the same "Hello world" test in Renpy and Unity with fx Naninovel or UVNF or Fungus, with the same graphics assets, you will end up with a project taking up at least 50 MB more in Renpy than in Unity.
Renpy also is not compiled, meaning it is considerably slower both at startup and during the game. One thing is that Renpy has to load complete artwork before beginning to display it, that includes video.
And, as someone else mentioned, Renpy won't ever be able to do anything advanced. It's variable system is also limited.

In general, a developer should try to get familiar with fx Naninovel (which in it's text based language is even easier to use than Renpy).

Muk_king

Oct 5, 2019
In general, a developer should try to get familiar with fx Naninovel (which in it's text based language is even easier to use than Renpy).

Unity has a lot of great functionality, but something always bothers me about it: Lack of rollback. Renpy lets you go back a large number of frames/dialogue/choices very quickly. This is great for mucking around in a decision tree or just rehashing certain parts of a narrative. If this were better supported in Unity, I would probably be more interested in VN projects using it.

Reactions: Grimmiger and moi69
May 25, 2022
Unity can do current-gen stuff. Renpy is still stuck somewhere around the nineties, with a 2015-ish framework.
Renpy is made for visual novels and nothing else. It's made to display (simple, low resolution) pictures and no video basically. People found ways to handle that, but it's not really supported by pygame (for modern use) which is what Renpy is driven by.

Unity can do everything and more. You can even integrate 3D in visual novels.
Also, renpy doesn't natively compress media, which Unity does on demand.

If you do the same "Hello world" test in Renpy and Unity with fx Naninovel or UVNF or Fungus, with the same graphics assets, you will end up with a project taking up at least 50 MB more in Renpy than in Unity.
Renpy also is not compiled, meaning it is considerably slower both at startup and during the game. One thing is that Renpy has to load complete artwork before beginning to display it, that includes video.
And, as someone else mentioned, Renpy won't ever be able to do anything advanced. It's variable system is also limited.

There is nothing in this game that can't be done on Ren'Py. All the scenes are static, the mini games are basic and there is not Live2D, (Which Ren'Py can also do) all the blinking animation is like the basic blinking on Ren'Py.

3.40 star(s) 49 Votes