Unity Stuck at Home [v0.3.0a] [Moraion]

3.40 star(s) 49 Votes
Mar 3, 2020
Of course! Ren'py is a very optimized engine for visual novels and has hundreds of tutorials for making visual novels. With Unity I coded the scripts maybe 90% or 80% from scratch so there will be plenty of bugs.
Plenty of bugs, yes, but also plenty of deficiencies. Text doesn't go fast enough, the rollback UI is awkward, there's no History screen...

Unless you have some specific reason that Ren'Py won't suffice, you should use Ren'Py. It isn't worth your time to try to reach parity with it, and it's not worth your readers' time to suffer through the lack.

Moraion

Game Developer
May 25, 2021
Plenty of bugs, yes, but also plenty of deficiencies. Text doesn't go fast enough, the rollback UI is awkward, there's no History screen...

Unless you have some specific reason that Ren'Py won't suffice, you should use Ren'Py. It isn't worth your time to try to reach parity with it, and it's not worth your readers' time to suffer through the lack.
You can change the text speed in the options, unless that's still too slow for your taste? I could increase the max speed if necessary! The rollback and history feature will probably be the most difficult things to get right, so please be patient with those!

And there are specific reasons! Versatility, the fact that I was already familiar with Unity and C#, and lastly quality! Smoother UI, easier effects, no need for compression on images! Things like that!

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020

In other words, don't reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: clowns234

KenneX

Apr 21, 2019
Doesn't work, blackscreen after choosing a name, first time I have this problem (win7 x64). Hate this fkin' engine.
EDIT: Works only with default name, nice coding.
EDIT2: I can only advance by clicking on the centre of the screen, clicking on the text goes back to the previous message, the game is fked lol.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020
You can change the text speed in the options, unless that's still too slow for your taste?
Yes. Ren'Py's max speed is "instantaneous", and that's what I customarily set it to.

The rollback and history feature will probably be the most difficult things to get right, so please be patient with those!
Please consider the final sentence of my previous post in this context.

And there are specific reasons! Versatility, the fact that I was already familiar with Unity and C#, and lastly quality! Smoother UI, easier effects, no need for compression on images! Things like that!
None of those seem to apply.
  • "Versatility", "quality", and "effects" are not specific.
    • Although I can't be sure what you mean by "effects", some of the things you might mean are , and others are .
  • The fact that you're already familiar with Unity and C#... doesn't really matter? Python is trivial to learn as a second language, and most users of Ren'Py get by knowing almost none of it, anyway.
  • The UI isn't going to be smoother than can easily be done in Ren'Py, except possibly for definitions of "smoother" that overlap with either "blurry" or "designer-shiny-but-user-hostile".
  • Image compression isn't required by Ren'Py — I'm pretty sure you can always just ship a bunch of BMPs or PNGs — but it is effectively required by some users, myself included. Using Unity rather than Ren'Py makes it difficult, at best, for people to create appropriate compressed versions.

ultradan

Jul 25, 2017
Game unplayable for me. After inputting a name even using the provided name Jason and trying the earlier suggestions I still get a black screen with nothing but the player's name and transport options underneath. "H" or no "H" its the same. Even options, save and load do not work nothing.
Strangley I was able to get the game to progress by changing from fullscreen to windowed and then re-sized the window and bam the game progressed. Either a coincidence, some strange bug or I'm messed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDahliaStudios

Moraion

Game Developer
May 25, 2021
Game unplayable for me. After inputting a name even using the provided name Jason and trying the earlier suggestions I still get a black screen with nothing but the player's name and transport options underneath. "H" or no "H" its the same. Even options, save and load do not work nothing.
Strangley I was able to get the game to progress by changing from fullscreen to windowed and then re-sized the window and bam the game progressed. Either a coincidence, some strange bug or I'm messed up.
I'm glad you got it to work. That does sound strange, but I can look and see what could have caused that!

Moraion

Game Developer
May 25, 2021
Yes. Ren'Py's max speed is "instantaneous", and that's what I customarily set it to.

Please consider the final sentence of my previous post in this context.

None of those seem to apply.
  • "Versatility", "quality", and "effects" are notspecific.
    • Although I can't be sure what you mean by "effects", some of the things you might mean are , and others are .
  • The fact that you're already familiar with Unity and C#... doesn't really matter? Python is trivial to learn as a second language, and most users of Ren'Py get by knowing almost none of it, anyway.
  • The UI isn't going to be smoother than can easily be done in Ren'Py, except possibly for definitions of "smoother" that overlap with either "blurry" or "designer-shiny-but-user-hostile".
  • Image compression isn't required by Ren'Py — I'm pretty sure you can always just ship a bunch of BMPs or PNGs — but it is effectively required by some users, myself included. Using Unity rather than Ren'Py makes it difficult, at best, for people to create appropriate compressed versions.
I will make sure to increase the max speed then!

As for the rest of it... That is disheartening to hear, but all I can really say is I'm sorry? I don't want to explain myself further, I would rather show what I can do given the time. I don't intend to change to Ren'py and I can only ask you to be patient until the project improves.

Reactions: jackoffonher

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
I'm glad you got it to work. That does sound strange, but I can look and see what could have caused that!
I know you've committed to Unity and I'm sure you'll be able to iron out all the problems.
But if you don't mind me asking, why did you pick Unity over something like Renpy?

Moraion

Game Developer
May 25, 2021
I know you've committed to Unity and I'm sure you'll be able to iron out all the problems.
But if you don't mind me asking, why did you pick Unity over something like Renpy?
The answers are above! Here's a copy-and-paste:

ultradan

Jul 25, 2017
After a little more fiddling what is happening is at fullscreen nothing is clickable or rendered for me. In windowed mode I get an image but no way to advance. It wasn't until I dragged the window past a certain size before text appeared and I was able to progress. I hope that helps and I'm really excited to play your game. So far so good as they say.

peterpiper420

Mar 3, 2018
The answers are above! Here's a copy-and-paste:

You need to chill the fuck out... Most of these comments are people just trying to help you. "Constructive Criticism" Ever heard of it?

neefl

Nov 6, 2017
You need to chill the fuck out... Most of these comments are people just trying to help you. "Constructive Criticism" Ever heard of it?
Telling a developer who has been nothing but patient with y'all to "chill" is insanely rude, he answered the question as necessary, while also implying that he answered it previously. Guys, Moraion owes you nothing, he's developing the game at his own pace, he's aware of most issues that have occurred, and I'm sure he's taking measures to fix those he can fix.

If you have an issue you haven't seen reported yet, like the above user ultradan, aside from commenting here, he has a discord channel specifically for bug reports.

dasherash

Oct 16, 2020
Will you please just stfu about renpy after the dev has told you they want to use unity!?
I dont know all of the devs reasons, but in my mind there is something called training. If you, and hear me out here it gets weird, dont plan on not doing shit for the rest of your life, unity is a very useful program to know. Renpy has all of 1 singular use, and thats making h games.

Moraion

Game Developer
May 25, 2021
As a reminder...
View attachment 1559507
https://f95zone.to/threads/christmas-contest-2021-1200-pool.103176/
Not that I'm complaining since development is costly, but why does 4 CGs cost 250$?
I honestly don't believe that, i think he/she just wants the money lol
I don't do the art myself so I commission a person to do it :D
60$ x 4 = 240$ if you want the math.

You can find more about the artist and their rates here:

https://f95zone.to/threads/2d-smut-illustrator-comic-artist-looking-for-team-to-be-a-part-of.93419/
(But don't complain to them about their rates, they need to eat as well and they do good work)

DanThaMan

Engaged Member
Jun 25, 2017
I don't do the art myself so I commission a person to do it :D
60$ x 4 = 240$ if you want the math.

You can find more about the artist and their rates here:

https://f95zone.to/threads/2d-smut-illustrator-comic-artist-looking-for-team-to-be-a-part-of.93419/
(But don't complain to them about their rates, they need to eat as well and they do good work)
It's good art yes, but that price is very expensive, a big update with many CG's would literally cost you thousands.. :eek:

3.40 star(s) 49 Votes