• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Sugoi - a translate tool with offline AI-powered model to translate from Japanese; DeePL competitor

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I'm a bit confused about V4. He wrote this on the Patreon:
screen.png
What does he mean with "Top 2 best model we got so far"?
Is the Levi model still better than V4?

Dec 1, 2019
To add to the above, the ensemble models are very computationally intensive since they're working on the results of multiple models. They're not shared largely because they'd be far too slow to be useful for most end users.

KuzumaSG

Jul 26, 2022
4.0, tried to import it on kemono but it kept crashing with internal error or something
hmm maybe the creator changes his nickname or something, just guessing. But hey, thanks for the package fellow f95er, I will reupload this in case your link goes down

KuzumaSG

Jul 26, 2022
I think his best model is like a combo model of several sugoi models together. However, as a single model V4 is probably the best one at this point.
View attachment 2212940
slightly better than levi, but since his patreon got enough funding for a full-time job, I'm seeing plenty of updates in 2023, this thing might get to 60 which is the end goal way sooner than expected

Reactions: Shisaye

revyfan

Jan 26, 2018
Decided to compare the Sugoi website, offline 3.3 and 4.0 to see if an improvement has been made.

Original Japanese text I took from Pixiv novel section
ああっ、驚かせてごめんなさい。
こんな深夜に窓から入って来るなんて怪しいと思うなっていうほうが無理な話だけど、少しでいいから話を聞いてもらえないかな。

Sugoi website:Ah, sorry for surprising you. It's impossible to tell you not to think it's suspicious to come in through the window this late at night, but could you listen to me for just a little while?

Sugoi 3.3:Aaah, I'm sorry to surprise you. It's impossible not to think it's suspicious to come in through a window this late in the night, but could you listen to me just a little bit?

Sugoi 4.0:Aaah, sorry for surprising you. It'd be more unreasonable to tell you not to think it's suspicious to come in through the window this late at night, but could you listen to what I have to say just a little?

Honestly seems like a decent improvement. Don't have the Levi model so can't exactly test that one to compare.

12asdasdasd34

Jun 25, 2020
Honestly seems like a decent improvement. Don't have the Levi model so can't exactly test that one to compare.
Levi: Oh, I'm sorry to surprise you.
It's impossible not to think it's suspicious that you came in through the window this late at night, but could you listen to me for just a little while?

DeepL: Oh, I'm sorry for startling you.
It's impossible not to be suspicious of you coming in through the window this late at night, but could you just listen to me for a minute?

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
I really wonder how that rating system works. :unsure:
Sugoi (Levi) being considerably better than DeepL seems like nonsense to me.

DeepL fails in noise sections when there's just moaning, thumping, or things like that, without context, and crashes fairly often. So Sugoi clearly wins there, but for normal dialogue (which I would consider much more important) DeepL still seems considerably better than Sugoi. Mostly because Sugoi sometimes has a person refer to themselves while talking about someone else, or claim ownership of something they don't actually own. That makes it difficult to follow some situations. Also the sentences in general tend to feel more "natural" when using DeepL, less "fancy".
(Talking just about the Levi model, I didn't have time to make extensive tests with V4, yet.)

Edit: Despite the weird rating system, there's actually a significant difference between the Levi and the V4 model.
"So far" V4 seems to be quite a bit more consistent. On some specific texts DeepL still beats it, but "on average" I would say Sugoi V4 wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nosferia

12asdasdasd34

Jun 25, 2020
I really wonder how that rating system works. :unsure:
Sugoi (Levi) being considerably better than DeepL seems like nonsense to me.

DeepL fails in noise sections when there's just moaning, thumping, or things like that, without context, and crashes fairly often. So Sugoi clearly wins there, but for normal dialogue (which I would consider much more important) DeepL still seems considerably better than Sugoi. Mostly because Sugoi sometimes has a person refer to themselves while talking about someone else, or claim ownership of something they don't actually own. That makes it difficult to follow some situations. Also the sentences in general tend to feel more "natural" when using DeepL, less "fancy".
(Talking just about the Levi model, I didn't have time to make extensive tests with V4, yet.)
I think that measurement is one created for machines specifically (considering I heard that 100 is "perfect" score which would be awful cause it's over-fitting the result)

From having used both tools for mine MTLs it's usually a wash on which will produce a better sentence with later models of Sugoi. Although Sugoi seems to handle H-Stuff better. It also doesn't need as much sentence reformating unlike DeepL.

I wouldn't say Sugoi is better than DeepL, but they are rather close to each other.

However, they both can still produce plenty of poetry, so that post-editing is a must.

Last edited:

sportsfan30

Apr 2, 2019
I think that measurement is one created for machines specifically (considering I heard that 100 is "perfect" score which would be awful cause it's over-fitting the result)

From having used both tools for mine MTLs it's usually a wash on which will produce a better sentence with later models of Sugoi. Although Sugoi seems to handle H-Stuff better. It also doesn't need as much sentence reformating unlike DeepL.

I wouldn't say Sugoi is better than DeepL, but they are rather close to each other.

However they both can still produce plenty of poetry, that post-editing is a must.
Fully agreed. From what I have seen both get you close but depending on the nuance it may still require additional work. I usually run the text through both and finesse the phrase to be what works best based on context.

Reactions: 12asdasdasd34

KuzumaSG

Jul 26, 2022

However, they both can still produce plenty of poetry, so that post-editing is a must.
The current max score is 60 from what the creator , and the scoring method is BLEU score, you could read more from the above link for more context ofc.

And about DeepL vs Google vs Sugoi, let's just say each has its own usage and it's hard to get everything to be an "All-in-one" package so let's not hope for that. I'm very sure no one gonna use Sugoi for business usage, some professional text perhaps, it's not optimized in that area when compared to DeepL and Google, both will beat Sugoi to the ground, but in terms solely weeb stuff like the one we use for fapping, it's currently the best.

Reactions: Nosferia

Konnect

Jun 10, 2020
V4 is considerably better than Deepl (in translating games on this site), especially when using tools like Translator++. To produce the best results for translator++, use your offline Sugoi Server instead of the one built in within the translator. Also, use the Red Sugoi plug in, which basically optimizes the translation by wrapping/escaping/isolating or cutting text.
The translation produced from V4 Sugoi for Grace of the labyrinth is night and day (Levi was strong too). The use of pronouns within the context is a noticeable upgrade.

belann

Sep 25, 2022
The model is great!! but can someone confirm is all those programs that the toolkit has are safe?

I'm new to this and seeing ports and things like that in my pc really scares me

dororonpa

Dec 13, 2022
Thanks for the V. 4.0 guys. Been using the V. 3.0 for a long time, now I can try using the latest version! (y)

-FibaG-

Nov 9, 2018
example 1:

でも、これからはお母さんとだけしよう。
Sugoi v4:
But from now on, I'll just do it with my mom.

DeepL:
But from now on, let's only do it with your mother.

example 2:

四人でのスワッピングは、いろいろと理由をつけて断っちゃえばいい。
Sugoi v4:
All I had to do was turn down the four of us swapping for various reasons.

DeepL:
You can refuse to swap with four people for any number of reasons.

example 3:

お母さんとたくさんして、もっともっと仲を深めて。
僕とお母さんが恋人同士みたいな雰囲気を出すようになれば……。
(エータも察して、諦めてくれるかも……)
うん。そうだ。大丈夫だっ。
だから……僕がお母さんに持っているこの感情は……。
エータには、今は秘密にしておこう。
今日は学校は休み。

Sugoi v4:
Do lots of things with your mother, and deepen your relationship with her.
If Mom and I started acting like a couple...
(Eta might guess and give up...)
Yeah. That's right. I'm fine.
That's why......this emotion I have for my mother......
I'll keep it a secret from Eta for now.
School is closed today.

DeepL:
Do a lot with your mother and get to know her better.
If me and my mom can start to give off the vibe that we are lovers.....
(Maybe the eta will guess and give up.......)
Yeah. Yeah. It's okay.
So ...... This feeling I have for my mom is from .......
Let's keep Eta in the dark for now.
No school today.

You can convince yourself Sugoi v4 it's way more accurate of what action happen than DeepL it's way more good Sugoi v4 offline, yeah ofc it's not 100% accurate but you can easy understand what can he say or what happen on the story and also you can make a edit for more accurate translation for the story.

My personal opinion it's a big jump for pure MTL to be so good I did not expect to be around 60% that good, I'm really amaze and excite of what can do on future updates on sugoi devloped and AI.
Definitely stay with my eyes on this project.
Now pure MTL it's not full of non-sense garbage translation and it help more well to make a human translation...The Future it's really good for vn games...Finally after this years we're close and close to get all vn games translation.

4.0, tried to import it on kemono but it kept crashing with internal error or something
I want to thank you for sharing this amazing version...you have my respect my dear friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: XxTheXoStoxX

Sepulchure

Jan 18, 2019
Anybody has any idea what happend here? I tried translating a RPGM VX game but everytime i try hooking the game it gets stuck in the window with this message when using the x86 Sugoi DeepDL Translator:

Textractor: WARNING injected process is very small, possibly a dummy!

loading.jpg

It also generates a Game.1D91A60E2D5284A.crash.dmp file when i try to launch it instead, which i have no idea what it is about.

View attachment 2268041

dmp.jpg

I dont know if the program is working on translating it or something else.

This is the game in question

Dec 1, 2019
Anybody has any idea what happend here? I tried translating a RPGM VX game but everytime i try hooking the game it gets stuck in the window with this message when using the x86 Sugoi DeepDL Translator:

Textractor: WARNING injected process is very small, possibly a dummy!
Typically that means that you're hooked into the wrong process. In textractor, where it says game.exe, clicking should give you a dropdown with other processes. One of those other processes should get you more useful hook options with the actual game text.

As a side note, this is a textractor function not a Sugoi function. Sugoi only does the translation, not the hooking.

shiny-kuki

May 6, 2020
Anyone know if lines can be cached? Because Sugoi is resource-intensive, if you don't have a beefy pc, it's slow to translate. But if it was able to cache lines, you could leave the game playing itself and come back later to have the whole game translation in a cache, and it would load instantly.
Has anyone here tried something like that?