Tool Sugoi - a translate tool with offline AI-powered model to translate from Japanese; DeePL competitor

Josba

Mar 30, 2019
Because Sugoi is resource-intensive, if you don't have a beefy pc, it's slow to translate.
The toolkit defaults to CPU mode, but if you have a reasonably modern Nvidia GPU (for example, I use a 1660Ti) you can change the toolkit over to use that instead, and it's much faster. There's instructions on the Sugoi discord if you want to do this, as well as a script if you don't want to make the changes manually.

ChaosXD

May 21, 2017
I have been reading this thread but I am still confuse. For the people who have tried it, which model is better, v4.0 or Levi?

citron

Dec 27, 2016
Anyone know if lines can be cached? Because Sugoi is resource-intensive, if you don't have a beefy pc, it's slow to translate. But if it was able to cache lines, you could leave the game playing itself and come back later to have the whole game translation in a cache, and it would load instantly.
Has anyone here tried something like that?
you have 3 choice:
1. use CT2 if you have nvidia gpu (20% usage in 3080, 55% in 2080ti),
2. try the "Sugoi-Toolkit-Mod" from discord that have "-New feature cache to file using TinyDB -Easy rename cache" (will cause output mismatch if used with t++)
3. mtl the whole game using t++ (also have internal cache, work best for RPGM & VN)

Kuto778

Jan 7, 2022
hmm maybe the creator changes his nickname or something, just guessing. But hey, thanks for the package fellow f95er, I will reupload this in case your link goes down
Hey man, can you re-upload the GoFile link? That'd be a huge help

gg123

Dec 13, 2019
Here you go:
Any advice on how to use this?

Sorry guys but I'm struggling to download and use a machine translator for VNs and JRPGs (I'm trying to play JRPGs from the 90s).

llyama

Sep 23, 2017
Any advice on how to use this?

Sorry guys but I'm struggling to download and use a machine translator for VNs and JRPGs (I'm trying to play JRPGs from the 90s).
You need from the . That contains the tools to do all different types of translation.

The file I posted was an updated trained model. It gives better translation results. You overwrite the model in the toolkit with the v4.0 model I posted. Instructions on where that file is are included in the v4.0 rar.

• Red Heart
Reactions: gg123 and anme321

nerdman83

Mar 12, 2019
Could you please upload it elsewhere? 1fichier work really slow for me
The author also released the Public 4.0 version on their Patreon About ( ) which says it has the Levi model:

Honestly I don't know what the difference is between that and the official 4.0 version.

And here's the CUDA Mod:

EDIT: For 4.0+ there's a new version of the GPU mod
https://f95zone.to/threads/sugoi-a-...apanese-deepl-competitor.102856/post-10127196

Instructions:
1. You do need Python 3.x installed, since the install script installs a bunch of Python packages. Install that from the Python site, select the option to add Python to PATH.
2. Install/Activate Windows PowerShell if necessary (instructions online)
3. Unzip Sugoi translator into a folder (C drive/ssd is best, I put it in My Documents)
4. Unzip the CUDA mod into the base of the Sugoi folder (i.e. Sugoi/CudaInstall)
5. Click install-cuda.ps1
6. I just use Option 1 to enable GPU translation with multi-line wrap handling. I couldn't get CT2 to work.

If you get any sort of error about a package not installed, open a PowerShell window in windows and execute the command it says to install the package (pip install xxxxx)

You want GPU translation if you have a 1xxx Nvidia GPU or better, since it speeds up the translation. On my Ryzen 5600 translating a line takes 1.5-2.0 seconds, but when I use the GPU mod w/ 3060 TI it takes only 0.15-0.3 seconds.

That's the single biggest advantage to Sugoi now, you get near instant real-time translation that's understandable.

After installing just double-click Suoi-Toolkit in the Sugoi folder. The new 4.0 toolkit adds a nice UI.

For most games you want "Textractor-x86 and Sugoi Translator Offline"

Then start your game (you can use Locale Emulator just fine), Hit the Attach to Game button and select the game exe. Then play the game until you get to some text.

Then in the dropdown in Textractor that says "0:0:FFFFFF:FFFFF:FFFF: Console". Click that and use your mousewheel to scroll until you get the text you see in your game.

The English text output will be in that blue Sugoi Japanese Translator window. Sometimes it can get minimized accidentally.

edit: If you notice any lag, one thing you have to do in Textractor is change your Flush Delay under Settings. Change it from 500 ms to 100 ms. Games that output text more slowly might need higher than 100 ms. You can't do 0 ms, as some games even on "Fast Text" don't draw it all at once.

I had been using Sugoi with DeepL for translation for a year now, but recently I discovered the Offline AI model and I was quite impressed with it, namely the speed. DeepL takes so long and kills using most games. Having the GPU-accelerated Offline AI model makes translation super quick and way more accurate than basic bitch Google Translate / Bing.

Last edited:

llyama

Sep 23, 2017
Honestly I don't know what the difference is between that and the official 4.0 version.
The updated toolkit you linked to is all the apps and programs for the different types of translation (visual novel/manga/ocr etc).

It is bundled with the Levi translation model used for offline translation. The file I posted is the v4.0 translation model, which is newer than the Levi model and in my use case produces a much better translation than the Levi model.

To be clear, v4.0 of the toolkit (all the apps) and the v4.0 translation model are separate things.

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
On my Ryzen 5600 translating a line takes 1.5-2.0 seconds, but when I use the GPU mod it takes only 0.3 seconds.
I'm so glad I was able to read this. Now only if there were a way to UNread it as we--
SHIT!!...

"N-no, d-don't you misunderstand, my dearest AMD GPU, I still love you, you're the best!! The very best! R-Re-allllyyy!! I'd never lie to you, daisuki, My Pre-ci-o-us... <3 ;)"

...<*cries and screams on the inside, thinking of committing seppuku but only after crushing AMD GPU into 100000 tiny pieces with a sledgehammer DIESUKI fuckshitdamn...*>

On an unrelated note: doesn't Sugoi seem a little bit weird (off-key) with the pronouns lately? I swear, I'm getting way more 'her' and 'she' -obviously mistakenly- than I seem to remember. Maybe v4.0 model-specific?

• Haha
Reactions: citron

desorion1461

Mar 29, 2019
I want to use the program to translate from English to my native language, but it continues as a Japanese translation. I made the necessary settings from the user-setting file, but it does not work. It was working in version 2.5 is it no longer available? If so can I have a link for 2.5?

nerdman83

Mar 12, 2019
To update my previous instructions, there's a different mod for v4.0 for installing CTranslate2 and CUDA (and both).

You just install it using the batch file, then open the Sugoi-Toolkit bat file and it creates a new GUI. This lets you install the Pytorch mod and Ctranslate2.

Ctranslate2 will get you faster CPU-only translation. Not quite as fast as GPU, but 2-4X faster than normal CPU model.

I will say I did compare Levi (4.0 Public) to the true Sugoi-4.0 model and Sugoi-4.0 produces much more human-understandable text (especially smut text).

Unfortunately this script doesn't work well with Translator++. If you want to use GPU with Translator++, you have to use the older mod.

Reactions: Zippix

Zippix

Sep 7, 2017
^
After cutting my balls off for not having an nVidia, and after doing some rather time-consuming sniffing around, that's exactly where I arrived at...
Don't even get me started on how I effed up all my Sugoi toolkits with the "old" (2022 August) ctranslate2 batch and python script files before soooomehow finding the the thing you linked... o_O
Can't you, like, travel back in time 2 days or something the next occasion you're doin' this?! :cool:

At any rate thx, and yes it (ct2) makes the offline TL somewhat faster. Wish it was 4X in my case, though lol. Anyhoo, better is better! Also, less RAM, and probs less Wattage for the same task.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Does someone know the difference between the original V4 model and the model now included in the V4 Toolkit?
Because they are definitely not identical:
1.png

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Left one is Levi model and the right one is Offline V4.0 model.
To make sure I'm not just being an idiot, I re-downloaded the V4 Toolkit and specifically checked the included model again.
screen.png
So you're saying for some reason the Sugoi dev decided to ship the Levi model with the V4 Toolkit, instead of the actual V4 model?

Dyahc

Aug 5, 2021
To make sure I'm not just being an idiot, I re-downloaded the V4 Toolkit and specifically checked the included model again.
View attachment 2485800
So you're saying for some reason the Sugoi dev decided to ship the Levi model with the V4 Toolkit, instead of the actual V4 model?
I think the releases starting from toolkit V2.5 went from V2.5 - Offline V3 , Levi - Patreon only , Offline V4 - Patreon only , V3(Patreon only) - Offline V4 , V4 - Levi , and now V5(Patreon only for now) - Offline V4.

Reactions: Shisaye