VN Unity Sumata Café [v3.3 Public] [mosbles]

4.30 star(s) 17 Votes

witcher123

Jun 19, 2017
In regards to someone like Haydee (I'm assuming you didn't like her scene, sorry if I'm misunderstanding), something that I think is important to both me and Mosbles is characterization; as in, being as faithful to a character's personality as possible while being able to slip in just enough to make them lewdable.

Without any text/narrative, it'd just be a CG set that you may just as well look up on Sad Panda, or that one booru that's absolutely littered with shitty 1-line ERPers who spam every image with the admin's blessing Rule34. Without enough accuracy, the waifu you're getting jerked off by might as well be some cosplayer, rather than the real thing (holy shit, is that Morrigan Darkstalkers, the Darkstalker herself?!) Without those lewd changes, a pretty significant part of characters in media would be just about unlewdable, as it wouldn't fit their logic.

With all that in mind, what do you think of personally when you think of Haydee? What personality or narrative can a completely silent human/android hybrid have? This was probably one of the better directions to go about a scene with her, but it's totally understandable if you're not behind this. If you have any ideas yourself, please do share them, preferably on the #sumata-royale-ideas channel on the Discord (more likely to be seen), but here probably wouldn't hurt either.

As far as the femdom focusing on the guy's pleasure, there could certainly be more scenes where the girl's enjoying herself more, but here's a couple fun facts.
  • There's actually a lore reason for why the service would focus on male pleasure, and it has to do with the attendant, Setena.
  • Sumata's not used for mutual pleasure as often as you might think, or at least doesn't seem to be. Bonus fun fact, did you know prostitution is illegal in Japan, but only if it's vaginal penetration? In other words, in most cases all you're gonna get is outercourse where you're meant to get off. For more info/source, look up the Prostitution Prevention Law (売春防止法) of 1956, as well as soaplands, image clubs, and deriheru/delivery health.
TL;DR: Your tastes may not match up with what this game aims for, and that's perfectly fine! This is more of an effort to appeal for stuff that not many lewd content creators go for.

Well that's kind of the thing, its a mixed bag really i'm not one of those guys who rage about bullshit unless there needs to be something about it. But you know what sure one sec i'll jump into your discord and talk about it in full there i guess.

witcher123

Jun 19, 2017
Or wait shit ok i need to be a Patron nevermind let me post it here then.

In regards to someone like Haydee (I'm assuming you didn't like her scene, sorry if I'm misunderstanding), something that I think is important to both me and Mosbles is characterization; as in, being as faithful to a character's personality as possible while being able to slip in just enough to make them lewdable.
Its not that i dislike her scenes but.. i mean the character's been handled better by others, check out Ickysticky or at least bbwdeck/Double Deck Seisakujo's works

in my opinion if you're going for personality icky's is a good way to go since they're also into the play, like there is some lore to the games in Haydee 2 if you ask around enough. its not great but its there and kinda plays into the idea of them being sex dolls since, if you played the game you'd know there's more than one Haydee they're like mass produced whatevers.

going the silent route with bbwdeck even tho they don't speak the character ACTS, like that's kinda story writing 101, don't tell, show. especially if you're doing a sex game like have the character DO seductive or sexual things. even if you can't illustrate everything you can at least narrate the actions like maybe teasing or etc.

Without any text/narrative, it'd just be a CG set that you may just as well look up on Sad Panda, or that one booru that's absolutely littered with shitty 1-line ERPers who spam every image with the admin's blessing Rule34. Without enough accuracy, the waifu you're getting jerked off by might as well be some cosplayer, rather than the real thing (holy shit, is that Morrigan Darkstalkers, the Darkstalker herself?!) Without those lewd changes, a pretty significant part of characters in media would be just about unlewdable, as it wouldn't fit their logic.
That's fair. but tbh its kind of a big issue with Haydee as a character in general, i'm a fan of the game and the character but it has alot of issues the creator never really addressed, probably never will at this point. The thing is when you have a mute character like this people will self-insert what they want cause realistically. there just isn't anything there. like i said earlier all you have to go on is just what they DO. And Haydee doesn't do anything the player does so she's not even like a "programmed sex doll" or something she might as well be like a prop.

For me i like more mature, assertive, seductive and generally positive characters, i'm not into abusive/manipulative partners. not that i hate femdom but spiteful/cruel sex is not as fun or interesting as people make it out to be imo. so cause of that that's the personality i project to Haydee. but others are different, i ran into a guy online who once said if robot sex dolls ever existed he wanted it to feel pain so he could rip its limbs off for sexual gratification. Which is fucked up! but that's kinda what happens when there's no real driving personality for the character.

With all that in mind, what do you think of personally when you think of Haydee? What personality or narrative can a completely silent human/android hybrid have? This was probably one of the better directions to go about a scene with her, but it's totally understandable if you're not behind this. If you have any ideas yourself, please do share them, preferably on the #sumata-royale-ideas channel on the Discord (more likely to be seen), but here probably wouldn't hurt either.
like i said above, more mature, assertive, seductive and generally positive characters, and the options i had listed for ickysticky and bbwdeck apply as well. since those are going to drive the narrative. i mean tbh its difficult cause..

1) you're dealing with a subject that basically, its not like mutual masturbation or etc where there's penetration. i feel like by locking yourself to Sumata, which at the end of the day its your choice to stay with it, you're also gimping what you can actually do sexually and narratively. Specifically for Haydee i mean, she's a cyborg. like think sci-fi/cyberpunk, sex toys, fuck machines, frickn NANO MACHINES, maybe she becomes sentient, maybe she goes into MASTER mode like they do in the game and summon an army of haydees, there's alot that can be done realistically if you think outside the box.

2) because the character has no incentives or initiative, and by those i mean something as basic as defined programming or anything like that not even a real personality, there's no reason for them to do anything. i dunno, maybe i'm talking outta my ass but i think really i'm kinda just interested in the game cause ngl there's literally nothing else anybody does with the character apart from a handful of people. =/

As far as the femdom focusing on the guy's pleasure, there could certainly be more scenes where the girl's enjoying herself more, but here's a couple fun facts.
  • There's actually a lore reason for why the service would focus on male pleasure, and it has to do with the attendant, Setena.
  • Sumata's not used for mutual pleasure as often as you might think, or at least doesn't seem to be. Bonus fun fact, did you know prostitution is illegal in Japan, but only if it's vaginal penetration? In other words, in most cases all you're gonna get is outercourse where you're meant to get off. For more info/source, look up the Prostitution Prevention Law (売春防止法) of 1956, as well as soaplands, image clubs, and deriheru/delivery health.
TL;DR: Your tastes may not match up with what this game aims for, and that's perfectly fine! This is more of an effort to appeal for stuff that not many lewd content creators go for.
The lore reason then I can only assume its some kind of succubus situation where they're feeding off the pleasure of the person being used... *but if that's the case penetration would still be the ideal but thats just me speculating.*

As for real world Sumata, I mean, sure that "might" be the case on paper but in reality you'd be hard pressed to argue that they're ONLY doing intercrural sex in Soaplands.

"Though soaplands operate as private bathhouses on legal premises, it's common knowledge that penetrative sex is bought, despite its illegality. As with most other illegal operations, it's highly dependent on a don't ask, don't tell principle but the unregulated business also lives off a fragile yet well-placed loophole. Once bath time ends and the later activities commence, soap girls and customers are understood to have a jiyū ren'ai, a free love relationship. So long as both parties can agree they're in love, the law allows for all acts. Love, in this case, contingent on the exchange of cash."

This article was from last year, so that that logic doesn't really make sense in the grand scheme of things. Prohibition in the US during the 1920s didn't stop "Speak-Easy"s from selling alcohol and use "Fermented Juice", and they didn't stop selling moonshine under the table either. The "Sumata" law wasn't designed to stop people from having paid sex it was to minimize abuse to sex workers.

Which these laws kinda suck at it cause it depends on the people involved being honest about breaking the law. At the end of the day places like Soaplands, Image Clubs, Host/Hostess clubs to an extent and etc are all fronts for complete prostitution services. Christ even US Strip Clubs people will fuck cause they can, for money or whatever, clients or dancers even with the "No Touching" rules.

The thing is I'm not saying TO/NOT to make a game about Sumata and style it around whatever, your game, your rules i'm just a faceless guy online. But the reasoning's not quite.. hrm... its hard to explain tbh why WOULDN'T they have penetrative sex when the Sumata gets THAT intense?

Like the Haydee end scene where you're just magically cumming till you die really, at that point, with a partner who will not resist or say anything for ANY reason why not just have sex? And honestly like the only reason is because of Setena who is barely a character in her own game.

When you have so many other girls too being halted by one person who doesn't have a lot of investment or Presence in the game is kinda lame, especially since there's no like penalty for it either right? it's been a while since i last played so i might be misremembering things, if there is narratively sure but gameplay wise if the narrative and Setena wasn't there. There would genuinely, be absolutely no reason not to engage in every "Possible" sex act if the partner is willing within the narrative to preform acts like intercrural sex. And that's the key point here really in my opinion.

tbh if i was making this i'd really have the Sumata stuff be core scenes, but like the "Finale!" would be after 100%ing the game, getting all the scenes, choices etc would unlock proper sex scenes with the characters but that's just me. Cause that's how most Hentai VNs do it really at the end of the day really.

Last edited:

Blood Parade

Dusk of Mankind
Donor
Jun 17, 2018
[the part about Haydee]
I did see both of those, yeah. Both of those also utilize completely different settings that fit the sci-fi nature of the game. That's not SC's purpose, it's meant to be simple, modular, and based around the setting of "you're having a comfy time with your waifu and then lewd things happen". If you've seen that one casting couch game, it's a fairly similar concept. Part of why the concepts are simple is so that drawing it by hand isn't a pain in the ass, and people don't have to wait longer for scenes to be ready. Uniformity could also be argued; if Haydee were to get a scene with "an army of Haydees", why couldn't other characters get unnecessarily complex scenes? What makes her more deserving of the theoretical bias?

Also, as you've mentioned, the character itself doesn't have a whole lot to it in terms of personality, and so people will have more freedom to take whatever approach best fits their interest. Some will make her fuck dogs, the approach here was "the character gradually riles himself up and gets increasingly hornier with her". You're free to disagree with this approach and think yours is better, but you can't change the past. There is always an option for alternative scenes thanks to Royale, so who knows.

[soapland/sumata part]
Just because it's signature for soaplands doesn't mean other services like derihera don't do it either. Also, of course some shady businesses are gonna ignore the rules, but that does not change how the law operates on paper.

[Setena part]
You don't die, in most cases (if not all of them) you just pass out. Setena doesn't do much because this isn't a game about her, it's a game where you do lewd things with your waifu. She will likely have a scene at the end of the development and, for a while now, we've been brainstorming about a potential future project all about her and other characters like her. Don't wanna say much, but you can probably find some of the concepts on the Discord, or Rule34.

tbh if i was making this i'd really have the Sumata stuff be core scenes, but like the "Finale!" would be after 100%ing the game, getting all the scenes, choices etc would unlock proper sex scenes with the characters but that's just me. Cause that's how most Hentai VNs do it really at the end of the day really.
Then, with due respect, consider making your own. Imagine telling Asanagi or ShindoL "hey I know you and your target audience like this whole rape thing, but if I were drawing it I would make it seductive ara-ara ladies that fuck the protag and get off on it"; he has his thing, and so does Mosbles. It's completely fine not to fully agree with it, but they're not going to change what they and their audience like. You mentioning "how most hentai VNs do it" makes me feel as if you don't understand his point. He doesn't want to do it how most lewd media does it, where outercourse is three panels in a 40-page doujin, or ten CGs in a 500 CG VN; what he wants to do is shine a spotlight on those often underused kinks, and offer content to people who often don't have a lot of it.

Fair warning in advance that I probably won't reply to any further replies to this, as there's only so many times you can say "it's completely okay to have different tastes and/or disagree" before you have a 2-page equivalent of a brick wall. Sorry if you don't find the game as appealing as a result, but he's already mentioned it will not have intercourse, no matter what. Doesn't automatically mean he will never draw intercourse for the rest of his life, but it's not Sex Café.

Last edited:

witcher123

Jun 19, 2017
I did see both of those, yeah. Both of those also utilize completely different settings that fit the sci-fi nature of the game. That's not SC's purpose, it's meant to be simple, modular, and based around the setting of "you're having a comfy time with your waifu and then lewd things happen". If you've seen that one casting couch game, it's a fairly similar concept. Part of why the concepts are simple is so that drawing it by hand isn't a pain in the ass, and people don't have to wait longer for scenes to be ready. Uniformity could also be argued; if Haydee were to get a scene with "an army of Haydees", why couldn't other characters get unnecessarily complex scenes? What makes her more deserving of the theoretical bias?

Also, as you've mentioned, the character itself doesn't have a whole lot to it in terms of personality, and so people will have more freedom to take whatever approach best fits their interest. Some will make her fuck dogs, the approach here was "the character gradually riles himself up and gets increasingly hornier with her". You're free to disagree with this approach and think yours is better, but you can't change the past. There is always an option for alternative scenes thanks to Royale, so who knows.

Just because it's signature for soaplands doesn't mean other services like derihera don't do it either. Also, of course some shady businesses are gonna ignore the rules, but that does not change how the law operates on paper.

You don't die, in most cases (if not all of them) you just pass out. Setena doesn't do much because this isn't a game about her, it's a game where you do lewd things with your waifu. She will likely have a scene at the end of the development and, for a while now, we've been brainstorming about a potential future project all about her and other characters like her. Don't wanna say much, but you can probably find some of the concepts on the Discord, or Rule34.

Then, with due respect, consider making your own. Imagine telling Asanagi or ShindoL "hey I know you and your target audience like this whole rape thing, but if I were drawing it I would make it seductive ara-ara ladies that fuck the protag and get off on it"; he has his thing, and so does Mosbles. It's completely fine not to fully agree with it, but they're not going to change what they and their audience like. You mentioning "how most hentai VNs do it" makes me feel as if you don't understand his point. He doesn't want to do it how most lewd media does it, where outercourse is three panels in a 40-page doujin, or ten CGs in a 500 CG VN; what he wants to do is shine a spotlight on those often underused kinks, and offer content to people who often don't have a lot of it.

Fair warning in advance that I probably won't reply to any further replies to this, as there's only so many times you can say "it's completely okay to have different tastes and/or disagree" before you have a 2-page equivalent of a brick wall. Sorry if you don't find the game as appealing as a result, but he's already mentioned it will not have intercourse, no matter what. Doesn't automatically mean he will never draw intercourse for the rest of his life, but it's not Sex Café.
Dude, you're the one who asked me my opinion. Which I actually had alot of solid reasons to say since 1) I've actually played the damn games and 2) setting regardless the fact of the matter is the scenes are going to be same-y as a result of that lack of diversity baring the character the player is interacting with. which even then they're going to just be a stereotype of at the end of the day and not the OG when you set them up like this. I get its a casting couch game but if i'm going to a sex game for Morrigan from Darkstalkers, I expect her to behave like Morrigan from Darkstalkers.

and 3) if you're upset at the wall of text, then i'll shorten this up for you. i'm probably not going to play your game anymore and just rip the CGs with AssetStudio if even that, because you kinda just proved you don't actually care about differing opinions as much as you parrot about it, when its not like i insulted you or the game. but sure yeah paint it like an attack why don't you?

mosbles

Game Developer
Apr 15, 2020
You kinda just proved you don't actually care about differing opinions as much as you parrot about it, when its not like i insulted you or the game. but sure yeah paint it like an attack why don't you?
He's not the dev, I am.
And no, I don't care about ALL opinions, I'm sorry but if your opinion is "this thing I don't like should be the way I want it to or I throw a fit", I can't care less. I'd like the discussion to be about what the game is and not what isn't.
The game is called "No-Penetration Café" I really, REALLY don't know what else to tell you all. The game is what it is and will remain as such.
I make this for myself and likeminded people.

mosbles

Game Developer
Apr 15, 2020
Is there a patchlog or something? Its hard to figure out the changes
You mean in the game? Or here?
Usually the changes are "new girl added"
But with Royale there are a lot of little things, I'll post those from now on each update

IonChan

Apr 2, 2019
Hey Mos,

Talked to you once about how you started on art a long time ago on an /h/ thread. Still working on getting my own art presentable, but I'm happy to know you're still kicking. Keep up living the dream, man. You're great.

ManserPanzer

Jul 8, 2020
I'm the complete opposite, I started this game because I was tired of seeing sumata used as a warm up or featured in two panels out of a 20 page doujin. This is my own crusade for a fetish that gets absolutely no love and I understand if it's something a lot people are not into.
God bless your soul. I am the exact same way whenever I'm reading doujins. I feel your pain and totally understand the demographic that this is for. Especially handjobs. They get like, no love.

4.30 star(s) 17 Votes