2.50 star(s) 2 Votes
Nov 9, 2022
Why do translators have such a hard time with English pronouns? They're, like, *way* easier than most other major languages, yet this game still messes them up... a lot. :/

sanahtlig

Jul 6, 2019
Why do translators have such a hard time with English pronouns? They're, like, *way* easier than most other major languages, yet this game still messes them up... a lot. :/
I'm guessing this was machine translated from Spanish. Spanish and English are similar enough that the result is mostly understandable, except for the constant pronoun confusion. The telltale sign that the source language is Spanish is a couple instances of "Siiiiii" ("Yeeeeees") when the vowel is drawn out in a way that's not recognizable as a Spanish word by the machine translator. My Spanish is rusty but I think Spanish is like Japanese in that it's not mandatory to specify subjects, and pronouns used as direct objects may not need to be gendered. Therefore the machine translator just arbitrarily inserts gendered pronouns because the information doesn't exist in the source text; it doesn't help that Misaki (the male protagonist) is typically a Japanese female name, so that's probably throwing off the MTL too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuor_of_Gondolin
2.50 star(s) 2 Votes