BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Even now, he is currently changing and redoing the bar scene from chapter 3 :HideThePain:.
Well, at least it's not delaying sending it to steam anymore :) I think it's wise as the official bar opening will be in the next season, and it'd be bad having a different look because that bar is in the old rendering style, and not maybe as flexible for the scenes he has planned now. Better to send it as a patch.

JJ1960

Jan 12, 2017
I'm kinda arguing myself out of it. All that I can really determine is that there is something suspicious right now. Vic's scholarship is almost a useless extra to Maja getting the job: did they recieve those things out of pity? Out of obligation to their parents? Some of it just seems to be the phrasing, and that's too tenuous to construct anything from, other than there is some potential there... for something. We really have to see what the full season brings, because right now there are a few gaps in the early material, and some of these points might be made more obvious.
I heard she said she was going to get the free scholarship for joining a sorority...

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
It is better not to rack our brains and think about scholarships and say that everyone studies for free, period :KEK:.
Because even if we think of a plot and an invisible person who pays for everything for Nika and Nami, there are other classmates who should never be able to pay for their studies, like Victoria (whose sister barely manages to help her financially) or Mila, who is supposed to be very poor.

Reactions: flaviopaganini

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
It is better not to rack our brains and think about scholarships and say that everyone studies for free, period :KEK:.
Because even if we think of a plot and an invisible person who pays for everything for Nika and Nami, there are other classmates who should never be able to pay for their studies, like Victoria (whose sister barely manages to help her financially) or Mila, who is supposed to be very poor.
This is the reason there is speculation, Victoria DOES have a scholarship, and Maja gets employed by ZPR on the same day.

ae1293.jpg

Insomnia_z

Mar 6, 2020
This interests me, in the game, are there clues to this or is this information only given externally by Ocean?
Without the outside information, can one come to these conclusions organically?
If you are talking about the information that Nami and Nika are obligatory going to ZPR then yes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Well... this is a good starting point, now this is not information brought from nowhere, it's just a spoiler... :p
Thank you!
That was in the script I quoted when I raised the question that piqued your interest, so I didn't mention it again - the pertinent points of the rest of the scene are:

- it's hard to get in: n "But I checked some forums and it's a really good college... Even though most of them were complaining about not getting accepted."
- Nika doesn't know what he's going to study: d "I have to think about classes... I don't even know what I'm gonna major in."
- Nami mentions the basketball team, trying to get him interested: n "...They have a D1 Basketball team..." n "Just saying."
- Nika doesn't know why he's going:
d "I don't even know why I'm going to college..."
scene ae1643 with dssa
m "So why did you say yes when I asked you?"
scene ae1645 with dssr
d "I had nothing else."

The reason I don't consider this 100% confirmation of not having a choice, and not explaining the steam page, is because not having a chance to look is not the same as being forced, or being granted acceptance. Nami's words makes it sound like they chose the only possible option, that they didn't even have the chance to consider options, which fits with their characterisation of being financially tight. This still doesn't explain why it's called a mystery. It's no mystery to choose to buy the version of a thing you can afford without seriously checking out all the versions you can't. Even if they looked around, window shopping isn't a mystery. The only mystery is if there was a forced choice or a scholarship, that then adds a question about why. Otherwise, it was just a lack of affordable alternatives.

I can see two mysteries that fit: Noji organises the college for them. Nami wouldn't care much, and neither would Nika, they'd trust her. Maybe it's a deal she has with her friends Z and P via the bookclub. Or, ZPR send the scholarships like Vic, and thye have an easy in. We've already discusse the second one enough (for at least a couple of weeks), and the first option has so many potential angles that I feel it's too early to speculate, without a little more information.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
That was in the script I quoted when I raised the question that piqued your interest, so I didn't mention it again - the pertinent points of the rest of the scene are:

- it's hard to get in: n "But I checked some forums and it's a really good college... Even though most of them were complaining about not getting accepted."
- Nika doesn't know what he's going to study: d "I have to think about classes... I don't even know what I'm gonna major in."
- Nami mentions the basketball team, trying to get him interested: n "...They have a D1 Basketball team..." n "Just saying."
- Nika doesn't know why he's going:
d "I don't even know why I'm going to college..."
scene ae1643 with dssa
m "So why did you say yes when I asked you?"
scene ae1645 with dssr
d "I had nothing else."

The reason I don't consider this 100% confirmation of not having a choice, and not explaining the steam page, is because not having a chance to look is not the same as being forced, or being granted acceptance. Nami's words makes it sound like they chose the only possible option, that they didn't even have the chance to consider options, which fits with their characterisation of being financially tight. This still doesn't explain why it's called a mystery. It's no mystery to choose to buy the version of a thing you can afford without seriously checking out all the versions you can't. Even if they looked around, window shopping isn't a mystery. The only mystery is if there was a forced choice or a scholarship, that then adds a question about why. Otherwise, it was just a lack of affordable alternatives.

I can see two mysteries that fit: Noji organises the college for them. Nami wouldn't care much, and neither would Nika, they'd trust her. Maybe it's a deal she has with her friends Z and P via the bookclub. Or, ZPR send the scholarships like Vic, and thye have an easy in. We've already discusse the second one enough (for at least a couple of weeks), and the first option has so many potential angles that I feel it's too early to speculate, without a little more information.
Sure, it doesn't change what I said and think, it's just that it's now clear that it's a major spoiler. It's still bad for me that Ocean resorted to a marketing strategy to accelerate a mystery that could have been developed naturally... From the point "we didn't see any other college" to "they were forced to" there is a whole story that would have been beautiful to discover the day of the revelation and say "how did I let this slip by or how come I didn't notice that?

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Sure, it doesn't change what I said and think, it's just that it's now clear that it's a major spoiler. It's still bad for me that Ocean resorted to a marketing strategy to accelerate a mystery that could have been developed naturally... From the point "we didn't see any other college" to "they were forced to" there is a whole story that would have been beautiful to discover the day of the revelation and say "how did I let this slip by or how come I didn't notice that?
Maybe mail delivery in their part of Wollust is slower than in Vic's and we'll see it in the next chapter. The whole marketing blurb spoilers things by nature - no one buying the game for the first time knows who Bella is, so they will view her appearance in game as inevitable. It's equivalent to a movie trailer which has snippets of all the best shots spoiling all the best bits :sneaky:

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
Maybe mail delivery in their part of Wollust is slower than in Vic's and we'll see it in the next chapter. The whole marketing blurb spoilers things by nature - no one buying the game for the first time knows who Bella is, so they will view her appearance in game as inevitable. It's equivalent to a movie trailer which has snippets of all the best shots spoiling all the best bits :sneaky:
I don't agree, if I read the descriptions of the best sellers I can't find a single spoiler or over description of a character. At least now it's explicit what many of us have been saying for a long time (almost from the beginning) Bella is the co-protagonist, and she is canon... Even in that Ocean is changing his convictions, he always said that each player has his own canon... now it would be like Henry Ford said "your LI can be anyone as long as she is Bella".... :KEK:

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I don't agree, if I read the descriptions of the best sellers I can't find a single spoiler or over description of a character. At least now it's explicit what many of us have been saying for a long time (almost from the beginning) Bella is the co-protagonist, and she is canon... Even in that Ocean is changing his convictions, he always said that each player has his own canon... now it would be like Henry Ford said "your LI can be anyone as long as she is Bella".... :KEK:
I always saw Bella as canon, as is Nami. You can still play without being romantic with Bella, but you'll still get a haircut. You also can't avoid the wiggly :sick:. The canon is you are forced to interact with Bella because of Marla's class, but you can still ignore her romantically, that's were the alt locker room scene is fun. And LI wise Ocean's still got to please all the Sasha simps on his discord :sneaky:

I just see the blurb as a way of getting new players to focus on the canon part rather than this on cyclical repeat

"Sasha when?"
"Zara when?"
"Ayua when?"
"Anna when?"
"Marla when?" (there will be someone somewhere I guess? All power to them(y)) etc

Nothing on the Steam or Epic pages really discloses anything important, and all of it is disclosed in game pretty early on other than what we've already discussed.

BTW Bella's not mentioned on the Steam page but the Epic store, i don't know why they're different - I would've judt copy/pasted, I don't think the epic gamers are more likely to be Bella fans than the steam ones :rolleyes:

Speaking of Steam, did anyone notice Ocean has an EULA up now? It expressly mentions no one is allowed to mod the game.
:coffee::whistle:

The one rule of the Licence is that you can't sell, share, or modify any part of the Software unless we agree to it in advance.
Nice to see that he permits fanart in the EULA :)

You can create "Fanart" of Summer's Gone - Season 1 as long as you credit Summer's Gone - Season 1 and OceanAVN in a respectable manner (not hidden and clearly visible).

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Even in that Ocean is changing his convictions, he always said that each player has his own canon... now it would be like Henry Ford said "your LI can be anyone as long as she is Bella"....
Aw c'mon! You may not like Bellamites that much, but Bella is okay :)

Of course, there is a plenty of her in the first chapters. By the way, did you even play SG at all? :KEK:
I think one gets this impression because the scenes with Bella are the most vivid, dynamic and emotional so far. But Bella is as canon as Nami, Vic or Amber.

Well, how could it be otherwise if she is a plot device that drags the MC into the world of the "book club" and their rivalry. This is an AVN, after all, with a predetermined basic plot and checkpoints that you can't avoid.

I can’t even imagine how else you can create an AVN so that the story seems to adapt to your playthrough. It should be a game like RimWorld, where you have a sandbox and a story generator that throws events and quests on you based on your playstyle.

And H.Ford said "Any Bella's hair color the player wants, as long as she's blonde." :KEK:

N1ghtcrawler

May 29, 2023
I always saw Bella as canon, as is Nami.
I don't want to hear it. Vanessa's sweet lips are on the main poster, so she's canon now. You got that? :mad:

Seriously, though. This is a great poster that captures the essence and mood of the game without highlighting any particular character. I like it much better than the old one. Sorry, Sasha's fans.

As for who the co-protagonist is, I've always seen Nami in that role. This is literally Nika's and her adventure that they go through together.
BTW Bella's not mentioned on the Steam page but the Epic store, i don't know why they're different - I would've judt copy/pasted, I don't think the epic gamers are more likely to be Bella fans than the steam ones
The mention of Bella comes so suddenly and unnecessarily. But I don’t like the description on Steam either. Too much information. The good description is here. It accurately conveys the premise and reveals only what you need to know.

4.40 star(s) 478 Votes