AlexFXR

Sep 24, 2023
Read the message again. He already renders everything in 4k before downscaling, so it won't add anything to the existing time. If anything it'll save time because he won't have to downscale the renders to 1080p.
I understood that Ocean was doing the entire 2nd season in 4k, but the conversation was about something else. If you didn’t know, downscale takes no more than 5 seconds, this is all the time that Ocean will save from 1 render.

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022
Summer's Gone is a college game and Lost is a series about a plane crash.
Prove me wrong!
Nonsense - it is Plan 9 from outer space in a college setting. Sasha is clearly the alien mastermind behind all the strange stuff that happens in SG.

Oh and just for those people who are a bit on the "thinking hurts ma brain"-side:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

alanrock

Jun 2, 2020
I understood that Ocean was doing the entire 2nd season in 4k, but the conversation was about something else. If you didn’t know, downscale takes no more than 5 seconds, this is all the time that Ocean will save from 1 render.
Why bother with all those technical details? There's no need for such a rant. Relax, and enjoy the game.

Mr_Mister

Jan 9, 2020
I respect that that, not that you need rendom internet approval from me.

In my opinion, the most poorly implemented part of the story is the mystery around Summer. Other parts of Nika's life have effectively distracted him to the point that he goes from dreaming about her every night and being a recluse to her just being his weird ex. It undermines the trauma aspect, and makes the trauma side feel like a random lightning strike, rather than a ball and chain he drags around.

Having said that, I expect there will be more therapy sessons soon, and I'm sure we'll get more of a sense of how some of the characters interact via Ayua's fight training. Ocean won't give us a clear explanation for Summer so early in the story, part of the process for NIka will be learning not to hide from it. But yeah, I think the spectre of Summer needed to be more prevalent to give greater weight. Things like, when with Bella, if he kisses her, he has a couple of frames flash back to Summer and he pulls away upset or something. Or when she tries to get something going he freaks out has a panic attack. Nika's basically gone from being conpletely non functional, to balanced and calm, with erratic moments like seizures instead of overwhelming trauma.
the VN has suffer because of the constant writes , re-writes and re-takes Ocean has made to the story and the characters .
the re-writes will continue as Ocean obsession with intertwine both SG and WIAB stories continue.

one thing that always make think about what Ocean thinks it's portraying but actually it's not , it's the Vic accident scene.
we know that MC's trauma has to do with the sense of loss but when Vic accident happens ; MC immediately reacts trying to help her , for Ocean the deep trauma in MC manifest by being very edgelordy .
for me the MC should've freeze right on the spot having a panic attack 'cause MC immediately will relate his sense of loss for Summer to the sense of loss anyone who loves Vic will feel , because Mc assumes that Vic is dead.
and MC should react to help Vic , not when miss Marla screams asking MC for help but at the moment MC looks Vic is moving ,
immediately knowing that she's not gone !

but what i know about writing VNs , i'm only good at punching guys with my mates !
i-pity-the-fool.jpg

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
for me the MC should've freeze right on the spot having a panic attack 'cause MC immediately will relate his sense of loss for Summer to the sense of loss anyone who loves Vic will feel , because Mc assumes that Vic is dead.
Could this be because you think the MC is an emo whiner, and that's how you imagine an emo reaction to a stressful situation?

In my opinion, MC immediately tries to help Vic because he is the type of guy who takes action rather than freezes in a shocking or stressful situation. His panic attacks are certainly not a defensive reaction to shock. And his own experience only reinforces his behaviour; he could not help Summer and unconsciously sees in this situation an opportunity to replay everything and save the girl.

But what I know about writing a VN or how people react :)

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
the VN has suffer because of the constant writes , re-writes and re-takes Ocean has made to the story and the characters .
the re-writes will continue as Ocean obsession with intertwine both SG and WIAB stories continue.

one thing that always make think about what Ocean thinks it's portraying but actually it's not , it's the Vic accident scene.
we know that MC's trauma has to do with the sense of loss but when Vic accident happens ; MC immediately reacts trying to help her , for Ocean the deep trauma in MC manifest by being very edgelordy .
and MC should react to help Vic , not when miss Marla screams asking MC for help but at the moment MC looks Vic is moving ,
immediately knowing that she's not gone !

but what i know about writing VNs , i'm only good at punching guys with my mates !
View attachment 3588492
I agree, the trauma is too understated. It seems like just as he's starting to get his life in order, Noji tries therapy, after years of letting him suffer through worse. Bad dreams are a thing, but we need to actually see the suffering a lot more to understand he has issues and to empathise whith who he can't give intimacy. More flashbacks/guiltrips about Summer when he's interacting with the LI's could help with that, for example hallicinations of Zara being Summer while playing basketball for a split second, and he misses a shot, with his eyes dilating etc.

I guess part of the process is it is still essentially a college story, so even though it has quirkier character backstories, where all the characters have 1 degree of separation but don't know it - essentially it is a non challenging starting point, where all sorts of change can be thrown at the MC. Hopefully there will be more awareness of the mental health issues moving forward, because he's pretty normal, just with the odd panic attack, but mostly as functional as average.

Could this be because you think the MC is an emo whiner, and that's how you imagine an emo reaction to a stressful situation?

In my opinion, MC immediately tries to help Vic because he is the type of guy who takes action rather than freezes in a shocking or stressful situation. His panic attacks are certainly not a defensive reaction to shock. And his own experience only reinforces his behaviour; he could not help Summer and unconsciously sees in this situation an opportunity to replay everything and save the girl.

But what I know about writing a VN or how people react :)
I'm outta reactions, but further on what I just wrote above, of course everyone is different and capable of complexities so I agree. But as far as perception goes, things to some extent need to be made a little more obvious to heighten the impact of the scenes, especially in an episodic narrative.

Nika has been raised to be responsible, but his level of external competence at relative normality would mask 90% of his problems to an observer. We're also observing even his internal dialogue, and there's very little evidence of trauma interrupting him. He rationalises his decisions more than anything. I think the flashbacks (like in the hospital) with dialted eyes could be more regular to show there is an antagonist inside his mental structures.

As you know already I enjoy this story immensely, so it's more a critique from me rather than a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: yossa999

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
No, he was doing the entire game in 4k from season one, that's why I keep mentioning downscaling. And while I'm aware downscaling is not a huge time sink (hence the wording in my previous post), it all adds up, especially when you factor in the minutes long cinematics.

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
It's not steam, it's ocean. He wanted to keep nudity minimum so that it's will be available in Germany and skipped a few steam survey questions which held up Steam review process for this long. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
The release for the German market was just a bonus.

The most important thing for Ocean was to avoid the "Adult 18+" tag.
Because of the simple fact, that at the Moment the game is labeled so, Ocean would lose a huge bunch of licenses für his music in the game.
The license holder of the music has denied all use of his music in any content that is adult only.

Epic game store has SG for today's release date but you can't buy it. I hope steam get it review done so that it can be released soon.

Let's hope Steam speeds up the SG publishing process after seeing this. :rolleyes:
From epic.
View attachment 3588600
1714487390860.png

Reactions: Kakasan

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
The release for the German market was just a bonus.

The most important thing for Ocean was to avoid the "Adult 18+" tag.
Because of the simple fact, that at the Moment the game is labeled so, Ocean would lose a huge bunch of licenses für his music in the game.
The license holder of the music has denied all use of his music in any content that is adult only.

View attachment 3589464
Did he really sacrifice adult content for music licences? In AVN? I mean, damn!:LUL:
He might be a "businessman", yet Im out of here:HideThePain:

Reactions: PuroBogotà

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
Did he really sacrifice adult content for music licences? In AVN? I mean, damn!:LUL:
Yes he did, and this was justified.

I'm to lazy to search for the numbers, but losing a license that is without any problems in the 10k$ range for one(!) music title would hurt.
Money gone and license gone, so I can understand his totally.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Yes he did, and this was justified.

I'm to lazy to search for the numbers, but losing a license that is without any problems in the 10k$ range for one(!) music title would hurt.
Money gone and license gone, so I can understand his totally.
well, one more reason to not bother with music in adult games i suppose.
an old retro/80s adult movie has more than enough "scenic" music for my taste:p

Don Sucio

Jan 17, 2021
You would be surprised how many people here love SG music, I dare to say even is one of the favorites things for most people here.

I´m not one of those, i´m attracted more to other things but i understand perfectly why people love SG music, the list is good.

4.40 star(s) 492 Votes