VN - Ren'Py - Summer's Gone [S1 Steam + DLC] [Oceanlab]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Aleks Mark

Wonderful story don't even feel like telling the game. Probably a good game should be taken as a story.
    The developer has thought out a wonderful scenario that is logical and plausible, of course, with some assumptions, because it is a genre thing and it leaves its mark.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

marspig

I enjoy this game very much.
    Frankly speaking, this is not like an erotic game at all. So far, I have hardly felt the sexual urge in it.
    But this can't let me deny it, it is really a good game novel.

Various scenes, character design, personality, expressions, actions, etc., can be seen that the producer is very careful.

Cons-
    The only scene that makes me feel uncomfortable is when MC is stroking his own arm in bed and thinking about something...
    What is this? This scene really makes me sick...Can the producer modify this scene?

I mean, the scene can be the MC looking at the window, or just staying in the room. There is no need to show the MC touching his arm... "even an animation".

The content of those ideas in MC will almost take you 2 or 3 minutes to read.
    And when you are reading those words, the background is MC touching his arm and sweating...
    I don’t know what situation this is going to express? Romantic? or creepy?
    Anyway, I think this scene is really disg...
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Caryland

Very well made game. The characters are being developed very well, fleshed out slowly with lots of interesting characteristics. The dialog is very well written, and the story is quite intriguing. The renders are also very well done. Can't wait to see what's coming next!

Worth the play even with no sex just for the story and characters alone!
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Hirnfiedler

Rated on Chapter 2

I guess I will repeat many things already stated in the reviews, but there are far to many to read them all.
    I really appreciate the dark character of the MC, even if it seems to the loss of a girl again. There are far more reasons to become rather pissed of the world and especially people but of course this one can be a big deal. The MC is not a dick driven "pleaser" and does not act like a trained puppy to get physical with every pair of boobs around. So slipping into this character feels very natural for me. I also like the fact that you can avoid further actions with the sister.

I really like the plot a lot and can see myself lost in a choice that may come in the future, even now. Guess it will break my heart or make me stop playing, cause I tend to take the consequences and refusal quite serious. I'm nearly living a good game and this is a good example for it.

I admire the developer for his skills and wish him all the best for the future. This game is definitely one of my favorites and I hope to see more of it.

The other known game of the developer, often mentioned here, I see things a bit different and I think this is not the place for it. So I hope to be focused on this piece of art.

For the graphics, there is no need for further rating. Like most of the other reviewers have stated, they are OUTSTANDING.
    I must confess I haven't checked the music nor the Sound effects. Most of the other games implement just irritating noises, like it's important to hear slamming doors, roaring engines, slapping noises and so on. When there is music mostly on the main screen and there are only these few noises, I don't get what they're good for. Waking up the player, cause he might have nodded off? But I will enable them in this case to get an idea.

Voicing would be interesting, but things can go south with giving it the wrong tone. I'm rather sick of this japanoid squeaky voices, for they mostly give me the feeling off dripping honey in my ear and brain until I'm down in a sugar coma. But in the end, I can disable them if necessary.

This is an adventure I really enjoy and can't wait to see more of it.

THX so much!!!
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Raptus Puellae

If you like dark and tragic stories with an MC that is struggling with the darkness in his heart, caused by a missing girlfriend, this is the game for you.
    Choices fuckin matter so you can either climb out of the grave or drag everyone down with you. While we haven't yet had to paid their price, actions will have consequences... I'm lovin it!
    Cinematics and renders are just yummy.. at times I just spend an hour looking at the screen...
    There are many LI, but I'll speak about the 3 that matter.
    Nami is MC's roommate, she's the one fighting to keep him alive and pushes him to seek the light. she's the energetic redhead with a passion for superhero landing that every guy would want to be a pillow for. she crosses boundaries.
    Victoria is the cutie with the sweetest smile and wicked boobies, that girl can cure cancer and cause diabetes. but due to certain events, she's struggling with her pwn problems, will she find support in MC or maybe you're the kind of sadistic bastard that flogs puppies?
    and finally there's Bella, the ultimate love interest ever created, my penis started singing "despacito " as soon as she made her appearance. This review is not biased, but she's just perfect. she sports a killer's smile, a ponytail giving her + 10 to hotness and a hypnotysing ass that sways even in stills... her personality is just perfect a mix of viscious, kind, dangerous, sweet, damaged. basically she's the modern version of an eunuch test... if the player is an eunuch nothing shall arise. Despite their early conflict, she's the only one that could understand what the MC is going through, and together they would find healing in eachother's embrace.

Tl:DR : choices matter, there are consequences, renders and animations are breathtaking( even before the remaster), finally we got a game with ponytails, and Bella is waifu nr 1.

the only downfall at the moment is that the MILFs are a minority, but each and every one makes it count.

Play it ASAP
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Esp``

I love Ocean's writing and plot construction skills from WIAB, so I expected a similar experience. And damn boy this game did not disappoint.

Feels like an actual piece of literature rather than the usual look and forget kind of works. Interesting characters with a good premise of a story. Then to add, you see the Ocean's growing experience of the mechanical side of things. Character models, renders are amazing. Quality is far superior to the average works. Short cinematic styled animations are mesmerizing.

Just like WIAB 0.6, you can see the level of the upgrade from SG's 0.2, everything seems to will only get better and better.

I must especially mention the number of funny lines this game has to offer. So many good jokes, funny interactions. Not afraid to touch and joke about some subjects which many do not risk bringing to their universe just because of a potential backlash. Praise for that. Quality lines made me laugh several times.

Amazing game, can't wait for more. I hope it gets more exposure.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

MickeyTrufi

I like the story so much, this is a clear example of why sex scenes all time are not needed and taking things slow are way better.
    The characters are amazing and the renders 10/10.
    And well, we got Victoria. What more could we want?
  8. 5.00 star(s)

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

Version Played: Ch 3

TL;DR: Oceanlab is one of those creators that defines what quality is. I can feel the incredible passion put into the story, characters, and renders.

Time to Complete: 3 hours.

[5/5] Story: This game reminded me that there's always a story why behind why people are the way they are. Nobody is ever an ass for a reason. For some, they chose to inflict pain on others because they're in pain themselves, though they don't allow it to show. - I truly feel the pain of many of the characters.

[4.5/5] Renders: They're so incredibly close to flawless. The only issues I noted were "fake" facial lighting being too obvious in one indoors gym scene, and a character standing in front of the sun being weirdly lit.

[+10/10] Cinematics: This game, like others by the dev, has cinematics between some scenes. Although the animations are far from perfect, and the dev is learning by doing, they're still absolutely gorgeous and add to the game's quality immensely.

[+5/5] Music / SFX: "I've always been a dreamer." -- Holy fuck some of the music in this game is beautiful.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Ghostredneck

WOW. This story grabbed me and finished let go till i finished. Damn i wished the whole story was done. The portrayal of loss in the first chapter was spot on for someone withdrawn. although in chapter to the MC's loss is shifted to there characters. hope that it will be cleared up and or choices can clear it up, either way great job will be watching and supporting.

Also would love to have the option to include or exclusive sister as it seems to fit the story.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

shkdbsahbdlabf

It's official. I am in LOVE with the aesthetic of your game. I don't mind a bit of waiting for sexual gratification. The MC is a dark and brooding and overall unpleasant individual but the mystery is intriguing. The girls in the game are down to earth with a bit of spicy drama mixed in.

I will most definitely be keeping my eye on this one!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Karnon254332

I reviewed this game during chapter 2, so the accuracy of this review might change.

The overall story has been emotionally impactful so far. While the MC's trauma has not been elaborated on enough to become understandable or provoke enough empathy, the premise of a depressed person and a cheerful and newly-paralyzed person helping each other heal is heartwarming. However, do not expect much sexual content during this stage (as the game developer has pointed out.)

The likely love interests are interesting as characters, mainly due to their respective traumas, emotional baggage and depths. It is no exaggeration when I say that for these characters, I am happy to play this game without any sexual content.

My biggest complaint would be the slow speed for updating as it could turn away previously emotionally invested players. But for now, it is worth the wait.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Guizinho_MC

One of the most difficult aspects of expressing things throughout a novel is to temporarily abandon a particular sets of ideas that the author defines as the core element of the work to expand into some others path that adds to the main story justifying the detour (which is even more true when we are talking about a game with multiple choices, due to its vast number of ramifications). That's one of the reasons many games are easily forgetable.

Summers Gone keeps the consistency: a boy that suffers for his girlfriend suddenly disappearing after he looked at the full moon and its turned into a bloody red ball in the night sky (yeah, don't do drugs, kids), and this nighmare remains haunting him for the last 3 years. It is how you'd imagine from a boy having the same shitty dream for 3 years where the good times with his girlfriend suddenly vanish, left him behind at the mercy of only loneliness and despair (as represented by the dark sky and the bloody moon). The boy becomes empty; every aspect of life itself becomes an insane joke, based into suffer without a motive, without meaning, and facing this cynical characteristic of life, he embraces this sarcastic way of being, which is pointed out sometimes in the story, as an example he monologue "all this suffer could be easily solved by a simple cut (on the wrist)" after see a girl being run over (it's a dark theme, and because of this, it can be a hard to illustrate well, many could not understand or if so, could not like due to its controversial topic, but, for me, this complexity is its charm). This idea is the core that moves the viewer so as a few characters by conflict or empathy. But this, as of itself, its not enough to be something different (if you're an unhappy bastard cursing the world for an existence without meaning while everybody elses is "happy", without a single connection between these two counterpoints, thats not cool, thats just boring), and thats where the story takes one step further by giving the doubt that maybe, just maybe, some people have a good reason to be unhappy too, and some of them are, and express themselves by others means, and some aren't, and this people, following with their lives and trying to achieve some kind of happiness, presents to the MC a few new colors, and as he interacts with them, he starts to learn how to feel again.

PS.: its good to have a MC that's not dumb.
    PS2.: the background sound and the music, at times, can add a nice touch.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

scalvi

Omg this story is above everything here. I'm so glad that serious visual novels with a priority on the plot begin to appear.
    The technical part of this game is very impressive. The dev made a lot of work for sure.
    Also there are some cinematic scenes 10-20 seconds length which are very unique in my opinion.

Though game is sometimes too quiet. Not much music. If this aspect is improved, then the game will be so much better and more immersive.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

jethroucc

Ok, I'm officially hooked. The story line is taking all sorts of turns I didn't see coming, and the characters are fleshing out amazingly well.. Amazing modeling work too - none of that plastic-y looking shit that Daz likes to coat everything in.

Only question I have... WHEN IS CH 3 OUT?!?

Edit: OK, i can't believe I almost missed this in latest updates - I rarely review, let alone re-review, but for this one, i'm stoked already to start ch 3. Will post a new review afterI give it a run through, can't wait!
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Luka85

This game keep me on the screen of my pc until the end of the update!
    Really love yhe story 10\10
    Amazing character 10\10
    psyco-Bella is outstanding
    keep going on this way dude! really good job!
  16. 5.00 star(s)

M.Sato

Pretty unique storytelling.

MC and a few other characters are introduced in a very odd way, with over the top personalities which are steadily unravel to reveal actual human beings. Animations are used as a way of creating mood and provide more contemplative moments.

Very well done artwork and a story so intriguing and pulling, it more than makes up for the lack of lewd content as of now (ch2).
  17. 5.00 star(s)

KekWGgWP

Amazing game with great writing, beautiful models, very intriguing story and a capable and a protagonist with personality, the game gets you captivated since the first time you play it and it makes you get emotionally involved in it.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Deadpool DP

Awesome game..I love the characters..especially Victoria.. and bella..this game is really is my type..I love story telling and romantic games...so I can kiss the hands of the dev for creating Victoria...I really really in love with that character..
  19. 4.00 star(s)

Manshino

Terrific renders, deserve three stars only for that.
    Story and originality are standard, for playability and "deepness" and branches we must wait future updates (because it's a 0.2 release).
    Overall: very good, near to excellent, four star on trust.
    Deserve support and following.
    Great work!
  20. 5.00 star(s)

abiorigins

I voted excellent for this game but only for the story because its awesome!
    the models are as good as it should be because there are few lacks in renderings. like models look different in different situations (bodies) except that choices are great.

different choices lead to different situations and dialigues. I

the update is slow though I hope the developer brings 2 updates at least in a month.