ICanBeCuddly!

Apr 22, 2022
I think there's a high chance that this game might get abandoned before it gets completed.
I've said it before and will say it again, for it to be abandoned; OceanLab has to die! Guy loves his work more than anything in this world. It's literally the only job he's passionate about. (Yeah, I never said that before.)
Ocean said he's planning on there being 30+ episodes, but that's just bullshit. I don't think he really thinks that he can work on this game for 30 years.
Even if he pulls magic out of his ass and starts releasing updates every 5 months, with every update being a full chapter, it'll still take 10+ years.
To be quite honest with you, it does seem like one ambitious goal. No one can deny that.

Anything (high quality) to make the visions come true, I guess. Artists are so like that, mate. They conjure up a vision, then they go straight for it! Mostly. Maybe, he might have a change of ideas. Who knows.

He couldn't care less about other people's opinions, and that says a lot about his intentions with his work.

It's more likely that he'd lose some patrons sooner or later. You can't make everyone happy, right? Actually, he did lose some of the patrons, but there happened to be more that loved his work. So they had started to support him and still do, and there would always be more people who'd genuinely want to support him financially, knowing the conditions, that is.

That shows money is not the driving force for him, not the most appreciated way of living, and I can respect it any day.
Of course it isn't, I agree on that count. But I wasn't looking to get informed then, just like the person I was replying to wasn't looking to inform me. He was just looking to jump on the train of people who wait for someone to utter one word relating to the development cycle, before launching a rant filled with righteous disdain so that they can continue patting themselves on the back for a job well done 'defending' the developer.

Just like you guys here are sick of people coming here and complaining about the release date, there are people on the other side too who are sick of ones who preach and insult and complain but never really answer their questions.

If these concerns were raised before, that's well and great. If there aren't many members ready to discuss it with me, then that's fine too. But don't pretend like you're willing to have a rational discussion about this issue, when all you're doing is raising completely irrelevant points like "he's working really hard!" (which I didn't even say anything about).
I understand that some people might be fed up of questions like this. if that's the case, then why don't you just shut up and ignore it? Why do you have to go on a rant, thereby increasing the toxicity in this thread? My original post was made in good faith, not once did I insult the developer.

You lost your right to complain about my language when you stopped replying to the posts in a civil way and chose to insult instead.
Looks like some judged you so fast...without any counts...:KEK:

I believe it was a fair bunch of questions in a single post. They should take their time before they judge someone...especially when it's for stupidity.

Ninja turtles aren't real turtles, mate! So, I wouldn't get worked up.

Last edited:

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
I've said it before and will say it again, for it to be abandoned; OceanLab has to die! Guy loves his work more than anything in this world. It's literally the only job he's passionate about. (Yeah, I never said that before.)

To be quite honest with you, it does seem like one ambitious goal. No one can deny that.

Anything (high quality) to make the visions come true, I guess. Artists are so like that, mate. They conjure up a vision, then they go straight for it! Mostly. Maybe, he might have a change of ideas. Who knows.

He couldn't care less about other people's opinions, and that says a lot about his intentions with his work.

It's more likely that he'd lose some patrons sooner or later. You can't make everyone happy, right? Actually, he did lose some of the patrons, but there happened to be more that loved his work. So they had started to support him and still do, and there would always be more people who'd genuinely want to support him financially, knowing the conditions, that is.

That shows money is not the driving force for him, not the most appreciated way of living, and I can respect it any day.

Looks like some judged you so fast...without any counts...:KEK:

I believe it was a fair bunch of questions in a single post. They should take their time before they judge someone...especially when it's for stupidity.

Ninja turtles aren't real turtles, mate! So, I wouldn't get worked up.
Hah yeah, I understand. You won't believe how many fans so fiercely defend the developers, its happening with every VN with a update cycle of 5+ months. It's honestly really frustrating because sometimes valid questions go unanswered, because the person answering usually only says something along the lines of "Quality takes time" or "The update will come out when it's done".

I guess the main issue Ocean is facing is that he's trying to combine quality with quantity. Like someone in the WiaB thread said, artistic vision is fine, but some times you have to sacrifice something for the goal. But Ocean doesn't want to do that. For example, he lost his license for music for a couple of cinematic, so what does he do? re-edit the cinematic to work with other songs? Simply leave it as it is? No, he removes the entire cinematic from the game.

At the end of the day though, it's his game, and his vision. While it might not get abandoned, I just hope he doesn't kick the bucket before they get finished (A very real possibility considering these two games will go on for at least a couple of decades).

Last edited:

memegamerfun

Jan 20, 2021
People seem to keep linking Oceanlab's current rate of development with how long it will continue to take to develop chapters. I don't think that's how it works.

As his popularity grows, and he gets more financial backing, he'll be able to afford to bring help on. And unlike many other devs, pretty sure he's been pretty open about his willingness to hire help.

Having help lowers the total development time for each update. If he was making enough money to get enough help, he could be pushing updates out every 2-3 months.

That's why I sub his patreon, since I like this game and my sub might actually make a difference. Unlike Being a DIK -> I love that game but don't see any point in subbing since the dude is already rich AF.

KhamulTG81

Oct 28, 2020
People seem to keep linking Oceanlab's current rate of development with how long it will continue to take to develop chapters. I don't think that's how it works.

As his popularity grows, and he gets more financial backing, he'll be able to afford to bring help on. And unlike many other devs, pretty sure he's been pretty open about his willingness to hire help.

Having help lowers the total development time for each update. If he was making enough money to get enough help, he could be pushing updates out every 2-3 months.

That's why I sub his patreon, since I like this game and my sub might actually make a difference. Unlike Being a DIK -> I love that game but don't see any point in subbing since the dude is already rich AF.
Ocean knows exactly that it would take an eternity + 1 to complete all his planned games at the current state of his development capabilities. The steam release will rise the level of support, this is basically a fact due to the quality of the product. In consequence, Ocean will invest heavily into hardware, software and so on to reduce the time between updates.

People always assume the worst until proven otherwise. Because of a substantial amount of inexperienced devs on this site who aren't cut out for the task, this behavior isn't unexpected. On top of that "scam-devs" lower the bar even further.

Ocean is passionate about his art and has an amazing work ethic to begin with. He needs a broader audience to enable his passion, plain and simple.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Ocean knows exactly that it would take an eternity + 1 to complete all his planned games at the current state of his development capabilities. The steam release will rise the level of support, this is basically a fact due to the quality of the product. In consequence, Ocean will invest heavily into hardware, software and so on to reduce the time between updates.

People always assume the worst until proven otherwise. Because of a substantial amount of inexperienced devs on this site who aren't cut out for the task, this behavior isn't unexpected. On top of that "scam-devs" lower the bar even further.

Ocean is passionate about his art and has an amazing work ethic to begin with. He needs a broader audience to enable his passion, plain and simple.
Too many Ifs in your post. You must learn to walk before you run. Right now with Ocean current capabilities and scope for the projects the task at hand will take decades to be completed. Maybe dropping one of the projects, hiring people or cutting corners (like the number of chapters or innecesary animations) could help to speed things up, but right now I have my doubts about the future of wiab and sg.
There is a fine line between ambition and delusion.

notakernelguy

Jan 10, 2021
hiring people
Also hiring people is quite a task. You would need to find not only skillfull people but also reliable, responsible and who share the same vision as you. I've seen enough VNs which started as a two-three man team but went abandoned or started over due to internal disagreements or private problems.

It actually already kind of happened in the past with Ocean when he initially gave SG to his friend. What happened next is a whole other story...

KhamulTG81

Oct 28, 2020
There is a fine line between ambition and delusion.
Jesus Christ... what the hell are you on? At the moment he is a on his own with limited resources. Talking about delusion... you spread negativity and your doomsday vision without thinking twice. Do you even realise how important a steam release is? I guess not!

Maybe dropping one of the projects, hiring people or cutting corners like number of chapters or animations could help to speed things up
- NOT desired by Ocean as he said so himself... it keeps him "sane"... so not gonna happen
- desired by Ocean after the support reaches a certain level
- GREAT IDEA!... this would go against one reason why a lot of people support the game in the first place! Reduce the quality to the same level of trash everyone else produces!!! /s

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Jesus Christ... what the hell are you on? At the moment he is a on his own with limited resources. Talking about delusion... you spread negativity and your doomsday vision without thinking twice. Do you even realise how important a steam release is? I guess not!

- NOT desired by Ocean as he said so himself... it keeps him "sane"... so not gonna happen
- desired by Ocean after the support reaches a certain level
- GREAT IDEA!... this would go against one reason why a lot of people support the game in the first place! Reduce the quality to the same level of trash everyone else produces!!! /s
Take a chill pill. I'm just saying the obvious, at this pace both projects are going nowhere.
- But he can earn enough to buy a PC farm in Malaysia in the future!!
Sure, also he can remake both games from the beginning in 2025 because the quality standards are gonna be higher by that time.

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
Also hiring people is quite a task. You would need to find not only skillfull people but also reliable, responsible and who share the same vision as you. I've seen enough VNs which started as a two-three man team but went abandoned or started over due to internal disagreements or private problems.

It actually already kind of happened in the past with Ocean when he initially gave SG to his friend. What happened next is a whole other story...
What's the story about that? I only recently learned that SG chapter 1 was rendered by someone else.

Vitez

Dec 9, 2017

I mean the dude said himself that if there wasn't a tabletop section, an update would be done in February. As far as I understand he's learning/making objects and places. Why not hire/delegate someone for just that and focus on animation and renders alone. I cannot fathom how spending so much time learning and making a petrol station and sci-fi environment (That's going to be used like twice?) is of any benefit for the future of lessening the update period.
But to be fair, in comparison to other devs, they are also taking a very long time, with the same models, same env, average renders (little to no postwork) etc. And still take very long.

Denz0

Mar 2, 2018
Hah yeah, I understand. You won't believe how many fans so fiercely defend the developers, its happening with every VN with a update cycle of 5+ months. It's honestly really frustrating because sometimes valid questions go unanswered, because the person answering usually only says something along the lines of "Quality takes time" or "The update will come out when it's done".

I guess the main issue Ocean is facing is that he's trying to combine quality with quantity. Like someone in the WiaB thread said, artistic vision is fine, but some times you have to sacrifice something for the goal. But Ocean doesn't want to do that. For example, he lost his license for music for a couple of cinematic, so what does he do? re-edit the cinematic to work with other songs? Simply leave it as it is? No, he removes the entire cinematic from the game.

At the end of the day though, it's his game, and his vision. While it might not get abandoned, I just hope he doesn't bite the dust before they get finished (30 chapters each for SG and WiaB=60 chapters total).
You know people hate the truth, not saying this game would get abandoned but it's within the possibility. People would just go so far to say some crazy stuff just because they like the game. I've seen some games with high potential like this went down that path. Truth is sour people.

memegamerfun

Jan 20, 2021
Why do people in this thread get so defensive at the mere mention of the insanely long time between updates.
It does take an insanely long time between updates, no doubt. And while there definitely are some who will lose their shit when you say that, I think it's more about people thinking that it taking a long time between updates NOW means it will take a long time between updates FOREVER. They don't seem to understand that as your resources increase (experience, money, hardware, etc), your productivity and efficiency goes up too.

So yeah, right now it's painfully long between updates. But, I'd expect it will improve over time, especially if he grows his Patreon base (and releases on Steam etc) so he's got a solid amount of cash available for hiring help and getting better hardware etc.

`Ray`

Jul 12, 2020
Why do people in this thread get so defensive at the mere mention of the insanely long time between updates. 9 months is absolutely ridiculous amount of time from chapter "3.5" to chapter 4.
It's because of some past experiences.

People who don't like the Development time express their views on it, which is completely fine. But some start complaining that this project will never be finished and that Dev should put a hold on his other game, etc.

At the end of the day, It is just criticism but the people here overdo it and that results in negativity.

And I believe that most who express their views on the development time don't follow the Dev-logs, because if they do then they will stop complaining.

Another point is that 6-9 months is completely normal for big projects like BaDIK, CoBD, and SG. It takes time to produce a quality of this level.

For those who are unaware, Ocean has done some changes in his workflow whose effect we will see during the next development period.

Also, this topic has been brought up and answered SO many times that most are tired of it. :D

Skrrt!

Oct 19, 2021
For us with the Asian kick, I think I remember reading a certain maternal figure wasn't going to have content. Am I remembering correctly? It's been a while since I think I read it

If this is about Nojiko, i dont think we are going to have anything like that with her. A lot could change tho.

Reactions: Laehtsia
4.30 star(s) 505 Votes