D9074

Feb 21, 2021
It does take an insanely long time between updates, no doubt. And while there definitely are some who will lose their shit when you say that, I think it's more about people thinking that it taking a long time between updates NOW means it will take a long time between updates FOREVER. They don't seem to understand that as your resources increase (experience, money, hardware, etc), your productivity and efficiency goes up too.

So yeah, right now it's painfully long between updates. But, I'd expect it will improve over time, especially if he grows his Patreon base (and releases on Steam etc) so he's got a solid amount of cash available for hiring help and getting better hardware etc.
exactly this, everyone acts like just because it has taken a certain amount of time for the first few that the exact same time frame will happen every time. Thinking that no progress will be made or that he doesnt get more people or software/hardware which helps speed things up.

Also someone else said something like he is making these different enviroments but will only use them once or twice so how will that make him improve.. If you make certain things that are hard to make from scratch it makes other things way more simple, and will likely make you quicker at the simple things while still doing them at a high standard. So just because you only use something once or twice it doesnt mean you dont carry them same things you learned through to the next things. thats my logic anyway but maybe im just stupid.

End of the day who tf am i to tell a dev what to do, if they want to make certain shit then i have no say in that, its their life they can do as they want. maybe they enjoy doing certain things and maybe some devs make their games for themselves, having people play and support them could just be a bonus to some. one thing that gets to me is some people that come here act so entitled like they're owed something..

notakernelguy

Jan 10, 2021
Chapter 3 took around 1 year to be created. Then Ocean decided to switch to half chapters to decrease this waiting.
But something didn't go as planned and the upcoming half chapter alone is going to be bigger than full Chapter 3.
Good thing it took less time to create even more content than during Chapter 3 development, progress is there and it's undeniable.
But do you think the scope of the game was changed since half chapters are as big or bigger than full chapters? More characters/story arks?:unsure:

`Ray`

Jul 12, 2020
Chapter 3 took around 1 year to be created. Then Ocean decided to switch to half chapters to decrease this waiting.
But something didn't go as planned and the upcoming half chapter alone is going to be bigger than full Chapter 3.
Good thing it took less time to create even more content than during Chapter 3 development, progress is there and it's undeniable.
But do you think the scope of the game was changed since half chapters are as big or bigger than full chapters? More characters/story arks?:unsure:
The reason this update is bigger than the Ch3 is that it includes the table-top session, which won't appear in every update.

In fact, this table-top session was so big that Ocean had to cut it in half.

No one knows whether the upcoming half chapters (if any) will continue to be like this or not.

Fortuna ღ

May 13, 2020
I mean the dude said himself that if there wasn't a tabletop section, an update would be done in February. As far as I understand he's learning/making objects and places. Why not hire/delegate someone for just that and focus on animation and renders alone. I cannot fathom how spending so much time learning and making a petrol station and sci-fi environment (That's going to be used like twice?) is of any benefit for the future of lessening the update period.
But to be fair, in comparison to other devs, they are also taking a very long time, with the same models, same env, average renders (little to no postwork) etc. And still take very long.
Except this isn't going to be the only tabletops session. If memory serves me correctly, it's meant to be 1 of 5(or something like that). Also, it's not as if hiring extra hands is something he can freely do at the moment. He has expressed multiple times in the past that he was more than willing to do so... he just needs funds to actually hire someone qualified enough to perform those tasks and maintain the same level of quality that Summer's Gone is known for. With what he makes currently from patreon, that's not feasible at the moment. He has much more pressing matters currently, and this seems more like a problem to be considered in the future.
exactly this, everyone acts like just because it has taken a certain amount of time for the first few that the exact same time frame will happen every time. Thinking that no progress will be made or that he doesnt get more people or software/hardware which helps speed things up.

Also someone else said something like he is making these different enviroments but will only use them once or twice so how will that make him improve.. If you make certain things that are hard to make from scratch it makes other things way more simple, and will likely make you quicker at the simple things while still doing them at a high standard. So just because you only use something once or twice it doesnt mean you dont carry them same things you learned through to the next things. thats my logic anyway but maybe im just stupid.

End of the day who tf am i to tell a dev what to do, if they want to make certain shit then i have no say in that, its their life they can do as they want. maybe they enjoy doing certain things and maybe some devs make their games for themselves, having people play and support them could just be a bonus to some. one thing that gets to me is some people that come here act so entitled like they're owed something..
Many seem to live in a world without change. Many people here act as if the development period is fixed. Oceanlab does not even have a fixed development cycle as of yet. Since chapter 2, every update was brought forth in different circumstances. When I see comments of how we'll have to wait an X amount of years for the game to conclude, I always wonder if the people making those comments actually think before they type. As if Oceanlabs would have the same amount of patrons forever. As if he'd have the same hardware and software assets forever. As if Summer's Gone will never increase in popularity. These are all factors to take into account when considering his development period for the future, and it's like everyone just ignores that. I do agree with your comment by the way. Also wanted to add that it is rather hilarious how entitled so many users tend to be, despite the fact that they contribute literally nothing towards the project. Most are here getting this for free... it boggles my mind how some people think.
Why do people in this thread get so defensive at the mere mention of the insanely long time between updates. 9 months is absolutely ridiculous amount of time to from chapter "3.5" to chapter 4.
Because it's something that's been brought up countless times already. Please inform me of the purpose of mentioning dissatisfaction in the development period? So let's say that you make a post here expressing concern and dissatisfaction with the current development period. What is that supposed to do?

Last edited:

CrazyRabbit

Engaged Member
Oct 30, 2019
Except this isn't going to be the only tabletops session. If memory serves me correctly, it's meant to be 1 of 5(or something like that). Also, it's not as if hiring extra hands is something he can freely do at the moment. He has expressed multiple times in the past that he was more than willing to do so... he just needs funds to actually hire someone qualified enough to perform those tasks and maintain the same level of quality that Summer's Gone is known for. With what he makes currently from patreon, that's not feasible at the moment. He has much more pressing matters currently, and this seems more like a problem to be considered in the future.

Many seem to live in a world without change. Many people here act as if the development period is fixed. Oceanlab does not even have a fixed development cycle as of yet. Since chapter 2, every update was brought forth in different circumstances. When I see comments of how we'll have to wait an X amount of years for the game to conclude, I always wonder if the people making those comments actually think before they type. As if Oceanlabs would have the same amount of patrons forever. As if he'd have the same hardware and software assets forever. As if Summer's Gone will never increase in popularity. These are all factors to take into account when considering his development period for the future, and it's like everyone just ignores that. I do agree with your comment by the way. Also wanted to add that it is rather hilarious how entitled so many users tend to be, despite the fact that they contribute literally nothing towards the project. Most are here getting this for free... it boggles my mind how some people think.

Because it's something that's been brought up countless times already. Please inform me of the purpose of mentioning dissatisfaction in the development period? So let's say that you make a post here expressing concern and dissatisfaction with the current development period. What is that supposed to do?
You have so much patience for this thread I believe Buddha had a statue of you to meditate by.

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
I don't see the point worrying about this. Even if the dev releases 3 chapters per year, that's still going to be close to a decade if they're doing 30 chapters. The game will either be finished or it doesn't. Just take what we can get.
Well, at least I hope we live to see some real action with at least one of the girls. Preferably with Bella, Sasha, or Mila. Or with the three of them at the same time...

4.30 star(s) 505 Votes