Voez1999

Jan 17, 2022
I am not here to speed Oceanlab along as I do not sub (when the minimum to get a VN is above the $5 for the majority I always pass)

But if he does not release in roughly 3 month intervals, CONSISTENTLY, more than half of his fans will die before this is done. Assuming the 30 chapters is still the goal.
You're not the first one to say this bs and won't be last. but ever since people kept saying he will lose fans because of his update times, he only kept on growing and getting more ‍♂

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
You're not the first one to say this bs and won't be last. but ever since people kept saying he will lose fans because of his update times, he only kept on growing and getting more ‍♂
You missed the point. I said right there at the beginning "I am not here to speed..."

But 30 chapters with 1/2 chapters being made is 60 updates/releases
We have what amounts to 9 done so 51 remaining

51/4 is only about 12-13 years (Long ass time in VN land) but mostly I was saying a lot of the fans are old ass farts who would be dead by then

I never said he will lose fans from anything other than death

Depending on your age it may be 50/50 that you are dead by then

It may be worse

WOW Cabin Fever You guys are pretty psycho :unsure:
I literally spelled it out for Voez1999 I am numerically talking about people dying from the wait ;) and assuming the releases come 3 months apart (which would be lightning fast :coffee: ) not anything about taking forever. Obviously I am being facetious. :LOL: But man oh man I did not expect the degree to which it would over the heads of the bibi's
:FacePalm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hawk784563

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
You missed the point. I said right there at the beginning "I am not here to speed..."

51/4 is only about 12-13 years (Long ass time in VN land) but mostly I was saying a lot of the fans are old ass farts who would be dead by then

It may be worse
So what statistics do you have to support your assertion that a lot of the fans are "old ass farts"? Or is this another case of a hater too clever by half and pulling out a wholly unsupported and wildly idiotic assertion out of his old farting ass?

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022

It may be worse

WOW Cabin Fever You guys are pretty psycho :unsure:
I literally spelled it out for Voez1999 I am numerically talking about people dying from the wait ;) and assuming the releases come 3 months apart (which would be lightning fast :coffee: ) not anything about taking forever. Obviously I am being facetious. :LOL: But man oh man I did not expect the degree to which it would over the heads of the bibi's
:FacePalm:
Maybe you just have the wrong mindset.
I am 50 and not in the best health, so maybe I am one of those that never sees the end.
Who cares?
1. I enjoy the ride.
2. If I kick the bucket before the end, I won't care anymore.

It's not like if there is an afterlife I sit on cloud nine, or more likely sulphur island in a big lava sea nine and think "damn I really wished I had seen the end of SG before coming here".

Jah-Ith-Ber

Feb 23, 2021
Wow I haven't played this since chapter 2 and I really disliked it at the time but the game has certainly gotten a lot better. I know Ocean said he has abandoned a lot of the darker elements of the game and I think that was 100% for the better. I still think the thing in the start with MC and the gun is really awkward and stands out but now the MC comes across as damaged rather than psychotic. Bella seems less psychotic and bitchy I wonder if I remember it differently or if he changed it :unsure:

I think the scope of the planned number of "main" love interests is going to get overwhleming and might dilute some of them.

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022
Wow I haven't played this since chapter 2 and I really disliked it at the time but the game has certainly gotten a lot better. I know Ocean said he has abandoned a lot of the darker elements of the game and I think that was 100% for the better. I still think the thing in the start with MC and the gun is really awkward and stands out but now the MC comes across as damaged rather than psychotic. Bella seems less psychotic and bitchy I wonder if I remember it differently or if he changed it :unsure:

I think the scope of the planned number of "main" love interests is going to get overwhleming and might dilute some of them.
The writing, especially of the cast, has much improved. All characters act way more plausible than before without going over the top. Everything is way more subtle now and not that "hard ass psycho with a sledgehammer in your face"-shit anymore. As you wrote, the MC is damaged not psychopatic (even if he got into a lot of fights before closing to the world) and that shows way better now. Also I like the new humor, it's way over the usual slapstick you see in most other VNs. Like the Bellas sandwich scene in the reworked chapter 1.

And of course the renders are on another level.

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
Ocean doesn't give expected dates for releases Since that can vary due to size of the renders and the complexity of it
1 scene can render in 1 hour while an other can take 24

And he is working on 2 games at time.
His render time went down as he bought rtx 3090's

* Chapter 3 to chapter 3.5 took a little more then 9 months
* chapter 3.5 to chapter 4 took 5 months
* Chapter 4 to chapter 4.5 took in 3 months

I really appreciate your argument here, but the time thingy is wrong for Chapter 4.
Chapter 4 took a lot longer.

To give some context and what really improved the development schedule.

When Chapter 3 came, which took pretty much exactly one year, I was about to burn out because I underestimated the impact development has on your life. I worked 12-14h a day on the game but produced much less than I do nowadays.

My mindset was lacking.

That's when I made the decision to change something, but it takes a lot of time for many small improvements to accumulate and take effect.

Chapter 3 to Chapter 3.5 took as you said, a little more than 9 months. (1400 still renders)

Now with Chapter 4, WiAB took an active development role again, and it took 9 months (With the Ch1 rework 3000 still renders.)

Here the improvements start to show in the quantity of content. (I'd argue that my quality has also improved from update to update.) But it still took a long time.

Chapter 4 was also the time I started to outperform my two 3090 in terms of speed. I set up more renders a day than the cards could render in two days. The queue would start growing bigger and bigger.

Chapter 4 to Chapter 4.5 took the now infamous 3 months (1500 renders) and the improvements in development become apparent.

We did go from Chapter 3.5, 9 months, 1400 stills to Chapter 4.5, 3 months, 1520 stills + higher quality.

Many people argue that hardware doesn't make a dev faster.
They do have a point.

I could've bought 20 A6000s in 2021 and the game wouldn't have been developed any faster.
The dev himself needs to reach the speed of the cards first. Otherwise, he's wasting money (Not talking about VRAM.)

It's all a matter of personal improvements, focus, and in some way sacrifices.

And the big difference between 2020/2021 is that I feel absolutely amazing. There's no sign of even the slightest hint of burnout.
Meanwhile, in 2021's Chapter 3, I was about to fail.

Every single aspect from personal health to development speed and quality has improved significantly.

Now it actually makes sense for me to invest in expensive hardware to speed up the render process, as I have reached the maximum speed these cards can provide. (Leaving the VRAM aspect out)

As soon as the Ch2 rework is finished, the game's on Steam, things will progress even faster.

Personal growth never stops. (As long as you're willing to put in the work.)

The Glorious LIME

Oct 20, 2019
Ocean, the important thing here is that you are doing well.
With the production values you bring, take your time. I am fully aware that it will take a long time for the game to finish, but most people are down for the ride.

Keep up the good work, but most of all, do take care of yourself too.

Vopeco

Mar 16, 2020

Your last thought is one of few things that has me a little worried too. I fear the diluting of characters too, especially the routes we already have, which have already established connections and emotions, have already built up their own fan bases, I worry Ocean will be trying to do too much, adding too much to his plate, with too many LI's and that might take away from each character if too many are tried to be rotated with chapter/update. I think what is planned is around 10-12 main LI's but I could be wrong, could possibly become too much for eager fans and also the Dev, trying to rotate that many LI's with each update certainly has the potential to become a problem but we'll see.

Last edited:

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
When Chapter 3 came, which took pretty much exactly one year, I was about to burn out because I underestimated the impact development has on your life. I worked 12-14h a day on the game but produced much less than I do nowadays.

My mindset was lacking.
In addition to what you have just mentioned in terms of mental and physical stress, there is also a very massive point:

The financial insecurity that hangs over you like the sword of Damocles!

Based on the hours worked per day/week you mentioned, it is clear that you were already working full time on the game at this point. Full-time, and with the knowledge that you are at the mercy of your supporters.

Costs that go on and on like rent, utilities, social security (I seem to remember that you had massive problems with the health insurance in the past because of your self-employment). Authorities like the tax office who step on your toes because the registered company does not pay enough taxes due to the unexpectedly low turnover, and want to know what is going on.

We don't even want to talk about the knowledge that you are literally fucked if the update is not released soon and the supporters run away because of that and you are slowly but surely drying up financially - or they look for the distance because they are simply disappointed with the quality of the update...

And the big difference between 2020/2021 is that I feel absolutely amazing. There's no sign of even the slightest hint of burnout.
Meanwhile, in 2021's Chapter 3, I was about to fail.

Every single aspect from personal health to development speed and quality has improved significantly.
I hope this question isn't too personal, if it is, just say so and I'm done with it:

How did you deal with the whole story, or what was your solution? From what I read in your statement, the mental difficulties were the biggest problem,

Did you grit your teeth and come clean with yourself on your own, seek dialogue/advice from friends and relatives? Or did you seek professional help?

I would say that advice from relatives and friends is extremely brave because they are too close or even personally involved.
I think professional help is the best, because outsiders tend to have a clearer view of the whole thing and their thinking is more "out of the box". At least that was the case for me, as I faced similar problems during my divorce.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
I still think the thing in the start with MC and the gun is really awkward and stands out but now the MC comes across as damaged rather than psychotic.
I like that scene, personally - even more so because of the hospital visit followup. Being able to make the dark joke about being there to "finish the job" made me laugh out loud. Obviously not the best answer if you like Maja, but totally worth it.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
I like that scene, personally - even more so because of the hospital visit followup. Being able to make the dark joke about being there to "finish the job" made me laugh out loud. Obviously not the best answer if you like Maja, but totally worth it.
Yes, this one and the dolphin joke are also totaly worth a negative RP, but it seems that the last one was too cruel for a highly moral patreon.

`Ray`

Jul 12, 2020
* Chapter 3 to chapter 3.5 took a little more then 9 months
* chapter 3.5 to chapter 4 took 5 months
* Chapter 4 to chapter 4.5 took in 3 months
Chapter 3 to Chapter 3.5 took as you said, a little more than 9 months. (1400 still renders)
What's going on? :WaitWhat:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ch 3 to Ch 3.5 took only 7 months and Ch 3.5 to Ch 4 took 11 months (technically).

Last edited:

Sasanid

Jan 1, 2019
Maybe you just have the wrong mindset.
I am 50 and not in the best health, so maybe I am one of those that never sees the end.
Who cares?
1. I enjoy the ride.
2. If I kick the bucket before the end, I won't care anymore.

It's not like if there is an afterlife I sit on cloud nine, or more likely sulphur island in a big lava sea nine and think "damn I really wished I had seen the end of SG before coming here".
Totally agree with you, I'm nearly 43 and I know I have plenty of distractions while Ocean works his magic, updates will happen whenever they do, and I'll still be happy to play them. And I'll keep supporting him on patreon in the meanwhile, cause it's possible for me, so I don't mind one bit.

Last edited:

underoath27

Nov 22, 2020
So, Nami is bi now, interesting. Maybe we will see MC, Nami and another girl in a relationship? I would love to see Nami and Bella together but I think it is impossible, so maybe Nami and Mila? Or Nami and Vic?

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
So, Nami is bi now, interesting. Maybe we will see MC, Nami and another girl in a relationship? I would love to see Nami and Bella together but I think it is impossible, so maybe Nami and Mila? Or Nami and Vic?
I have to dissapoint you - in parts. :)

Nami: guaranteed main LI (Nami/Bella is possible but she is otherwise probably the least compatible with other girls, Nami/Mila not possible)

Reactions: Sasanid
4.30 star(s) 502 Votes