• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HELIO CESAR

May 30, 2018
It's more complicated than that. Yes Ren'py is designed to work with visual novels and such, but ultimately it's a Python based software that is simply tied together to make things easier for that purpose. You still have to code in all of the quests triggers (Where, when, how the quest is triggered), what kind of variable are used, where and when characters start to speak, what poses are used, super-impositions, etc...

Then you have a bunch of things like mini-games, quest trackers/UI elements, inventories, etc...

The ex-coder Dogeek was known for basically being a douche and wrote overly complex and poorly optimized code, with poor naming conventions and a lack of comments on said coding. Which is a massively unprofessional and inefficient.

Say i present you a wall with a bunch of light switches. A good coder will properly and clearly label each switch and their purposes, and will be neatly arranged on the wall (This one turns on and off the lights in the kitchen. This one activate the oven. The other one activate the automated turrets, etc...) Most, if not all the switches should work as intended. If one doesn't work, fixing it should be fairly straightforward

From what people have told, Dogeek didn't bother naming any of the switches, are all bundled up in a rat nest on the floor and you have to figure out which does which by error and trial, and cross fingers you don't accidentally burn up the whole place. Since nothing is explained, you don't know that the original coder made one switch work by tying two specific wires together, etc...

Now imagine that the quantity of switches is in the thousands (tens of thousands even).
Bro i don't know what is happening with the game, only got here because the no-trap mod made me curious, last time a saw anything about the game was like, 3-4 years ago?By what i can see the game didn't release the promised tech update even still, do you know if they released new things since the mafia plot?
At this point isn't it better to re-make the code from the ground at the side? Don't even know if this was cogited or not, really in the dark about this game for a good time now.

Glaoui

Donor
Apr 8, 2017
Wasn't this made in renpy? Renpy is literally a VN engine focused on branching text and loading assets like images. Unless the original dev went truly crazy, didn't use anything stock and heavy modded the engine I don't see how they could have fucked up so deeply.
You can do that if you want to be really naughty and no one is actually looking or working on the project beside few 'drawing' sessions to show you are still interested.
There is nothing in this project to justify years of waiting.
It's more complicated than that. Yes Ren'py is designed to work with visual novels and such, but ultimately it's a Python based software that is simply tied together to make things easier for that purpose. You still have to code in all of the quests triggers (Where, when, how the quest is triggered), what kind of variable are used, where and when characters start to speak, what poses are used, super-impositions, etc...

Then you have a bunch of things like mini-games, quest trackers/UI elements, inventories, etc...

The ex-coder Dogeek was known for basically being a douche and wrote overly complex and poorly optimized code, with poor naming conventions and a lack of comments on said coding. Which is a massively unprofessional and inefficient.

Say i present you a wall with a bunch of light switches. A good coder will properly and clearly label each switch and their purposes, and will be neatly arranged on the wall (This one turns on and off the lights in the kitchen. This one activate the oven. The other one activate the automated turrets, etc...) Most, if not all the switches should work as intended. If one doesn't work, fixing it should be fairly straightforward

From what people have told, Dogeek didn't bother naming any of the switches, are all bundled up in a rat nest on the floor and you have to figure out which does which by error and trial, and cross fingers you don't accidentally burn up the whole place. Since nothing is explained, you don't know that the original coder made one switch work by tying two specific wires together, etc...

Now imagine that the quantity of switches is in the thousands (tens of thousands even).
Please. It's not Baldur's gate III.

Anyway, that Dev is gone since years now. The fact he could do that without control or supervision or the fact than they are still talking about this as an excuse, years after. Just shows no one was really working on this beside the well timed 'Drawing' sessions and Discord chats.

knyght

Apr 21, 2017

Completely forgot this had minigames. They were also pretty bad if i recall. Might not have been a huge loss if those got cut out to be honest. Looking back I remember skipping all of them.

To be honest as you describe it it might have been better to just extract the dialogue, simplify the structure a bit and code the options while choosing the appropriate images from scratch instead of trying to recreate it as is.

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
Completely forgot this had minigames. They were also pretty bad if i recall. Might not have been a huge loss if those got cut out to be honest. Looking back I remember skipping all of them.

To be honest as you describe it it might have been better to just extract the dialogue, simplify the structure a bit and code the options while choosing the appropriate images from scratch instead of trying to recreate it as is.
Yeah, remaking the entire game is what should have been done. Although personally i would have just bitten the bullet, made a final update to it and move on to a new project entirely.

CUNTBLAZER420

Jan 24, 2020
Yes, yes. Abandodned tag is finally here, well deserved. DC even got cold feet and is gonna release tech update now in parts (nothing motivates like idea of reduced income). But there is more news coming!

Summertime Saga receiving abandoned label is a great opportunity to share with you this little mod. Many asked for a long time and here it is: Trap-free version of the game. This mod basically removes all shemale content from Summertime Saga and restores it to its original state, so no more trap Eve!

https://f95zone.to/threads/summertime-saga-trap-free-mod-v0-1-flamboyantjoe.205981/
You could go through the trouble of modding the game to avoid trap content or you could just select no when Eve asks if you like dudes.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Thanks for your kind words.

I stopped being a patron back when the main story started, because I didn't agree with DC's decision to remove the choices in further updates (which he fortunately seems to have walked away from, again). I'd agree that the money I spent back then was well worth it, especially considering the alternatives.

Once it became clear that the tech update would talke waaay longer, there were only two ways to go, as far as I see it. Either you accept that and take what you get for free or you leave and stop caring about the game and move on.

Everything in between is just such a waste of time and energy. I mean, I do indeed kinda enjoy all of the BS over here, up to people posting conspiratory essays, but DC (and his money) are reallying living rent free in ways to many people's minds.

I still enjoy the game itself a lot and I'm looking forward to whats coming. DC will likely continue to do "his thing" and people will continue having the choice to go along with that or to leave - and this topic will almost certainly also contiue to stay the same irrelevant shit show it has been for years...

PS: We 100% agree on Eve's story neeing a proper branche/option for Grace. It's really annoying that they put diolog options in there, when then lead to nothing meaningful. It's actually probaly my biggest criticism of the game (next to - not 100% serious - Becca not being a main girl ), but I guess, that's another discussion.

MONOHELL

Mar 10, 2019
I admire the developer of this game. He hasn't done anything for a couple of years and was getting paid well for it. From what I understand from the comments, he is planning to release a small update. You know how it looks? It's like the owner is throwing a small bone from the table covered with food to his barking dog. It's like, gnaw on this bone while I enjoy delicious food. And for some reason, I have a feeling that this update was done a long time ago, he just kept it in reserve. And now the situation has become a bit critical, and he decides to pretend that the work on the game is ongoing. Bravo. Now he can again do nothing and release a small update in a couple of years. And who is to blame in this situation? His followers, who continued to give him money when the developer was doing nothing. Bravo twice.

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
tumblr_ea4eba7b56f44692bc212c349e2b8aac_cbbe6e7d_540.gif

look at that glorious abandoned tag bros, we fucking did it. oh god i'm cumming.

also i now think DC drip feeding the tech update out of desperation had something to do with the tag (combined with his patreons getting more angry), the dates are just too suspicious and i don't believe in such coincidences. huge L for the darkcookie defense force

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
someone should ask dogeek on twitter what he thinks about DC and his team solely blaming him for this mess. they make him look like a complete idiot who didn't know wtf he was doing and there is always two sides to a story.

i still think it's sus that they let him do his thing for 2 years without asking him once why he is naming things "booger aids" or whatever. the complete lack of oversight about what his sole coder is doing is definitely on DC. i think he just didn't care as long as the patreon money didn't stop. simple as.

4.20 star(s) 343 Votes