BobaFatter

Feb 15, 2021
Umm, i have been searching for certain images that are being used in the script, for example, "show player 108" , but when i search for it in the "images" file under player and anon, it doesn't exist, in fact, the amount of images that exist in the file doesn't make sense... It is sooo inadequate. I have used the un.rpy command to try and extract any hidden images by pasting the command in the said file but to no avail. Soo, may i know, how do i extract these images?

mofu2x

Oct 10, 2020
I suspect that these aren't pre tech updates and rather "oh fuck our codebase is horrific spaghetti that is collapsing under its own weight and we need to rewrite most of it in a better way in order to actually be able to add more content in a sane manner" updates. And also you kind of need a properly educated programmer to do that so it's taking even longer.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
It's infuriating, it's been two years since the tech update, why isn't the developer hiring someone to help with the work and deliver the update sooner man.
:confused:
It's been a long time - but not 2 years. It's been 19 months. No need to go to exaggeration. And if you actually want an answer - go ask on Picarto during one of his nearly daily streams.

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
when people voted for the tech update back then DC said it would take as long as a regular update so 3-4 months. no one would have voted for it knowing it would take 2 years and more just to get bigger backgrounds
As someone with a lot of coding experience you have to realize that tech updates are entirely different than content updates. Content you can more or less predict because you go through cycles you get used to. Tech updates rarely go as planned. The work is more tedious and more trial and error intensive. I haven't seen a sweeping tech update that was ever done in a short amount of time.

Taking them at their word is naive.

chunkas

Jan 29, 2018
No, really, friends, after all, the expectations were not in vain and dev still added hmmm updated some scenes. But we love this wonderful game so much that we agree to wait for updates in the next 5-7 years (at the end, a disgusting sadistic laugh sounds).

Crosaith.

Nov 18, 2017
As someone with a lot of coding experience you have to realize that tech updates are entirely different than content updates. Content you can more or less predict because you go through cycles you get used to. Tech updates rarely go as planned. The work is more tedious and more trial and error intensive. I haven't seen a sweeping tech update that was ever done in a short amount of time.

Taking them at their word is naive.
And it's not like they have to deal with the pressure of deadlines or quotas like most people. They can work at whatever pace & get paid. What's the incentive to work harder or more efficiently?

Crosaith.

Nov 18, 2017
I've been to bunch of DC's streams way back. The guy's pretty chill. Getting crap updates sucks for us, but I can't really blame him. He's getting paid good $$$ to work at his own pace. Bet most of us would want a job like that. :LOL:

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
This is the majority of the top end patreon games, especially h games, and the primary reason why I don't ever back any that haven't proven themselves yet (like Dystopian Project), and even then I think real hard about their progress and content to time ratio.

Thing is, these projects very rarely finish or release in any more than a throwing out the trash and wiping your hand kind of way. Many of them are literally now 3-5 years beyond predictions for stuff, and then there's the 'ol famous "we took too long so we're going to have to scrap everything and do a complete do over on a new engine or with a new graphics or with 'better' features" only for the project to grind to a halt and release like no new meaningful content for years instead of finishing what they got, then building upon it for a sequel. Yiffalicious is a great example of that.

Look, I get that games need support, but the way I see it, a ton of indie devs have managed this better ways than patreon unless those other income streams are utterly and fully extra support, meaning you get squat for it in return, do well on their game, and use that to fund their next game.

Patreon "successes" by definition and design discourage a game from ever being completed. If you're making half a mil to a mil a year and have to split that with 3 people, all for a 10% complete fan project with barebones content, no 'sane' person would ever rush through that piggybank. There are literally untold hundreds of people spending 10-20 times what the final game will cost for 10% of its content and likely just as high a percentage it'll ever finish.

Like, it's some quick math right there lmao.

That's why I just don't sub anymore. I'll buy the final game to support them if it's worth it, and hey, I'm thankful there are enough whales out there happily wasting money so we get little tidbits of nice h content once in the blue moon, but that ain't going to be me chief.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Can the quest tab be a little bigger its hard to read it in mobile ver
You can use my mod which allows to change the font size. It's not yet finalized for the new version though, you may want to wait some days.

Jul 15, 2017
Patreon "successes" by definition and design discourage a game from ever being completed.
I get what you saying, but i kinda feel like this type of Mindset shoots them back in the foot at some point. I mean in all honesty, and maybe it's only me, but in itself Summertime Saga is fantastic and really stands out. The Art is particular amazing and IMHO also unique, and the Concept is pretty neat. I mean i'm pretty sure there were Games kinda like this before as well, but for me it felt Summertime Saga made it atleast popular(if it wasn't the first one) within the H-Gaming community, and it felt like Games like Taffy Tales, A Town uncovered and such get a huge push and did pop out after Summertime Saga.

My Point: I do think they are pretty competent Devs, and even if they would finish the Game too fast, i'm pretty sure they would find another great project, which also had a huge follower-base especially after such a great Game like StS is finisher (and i'm with you, i really hope the devs will sell it on Steam once it's finished). However if you drag it out so long and are so slow with the Updates,(atleast if it's on purpose) you will lose the goodwill of People and might screw it up at some point. So i find that rather weird approach....

---
Also - i've to add i can see some Value with Patreon, for soem devs the only reason why they can work on something etc... and i understand less popular games or better say niche have a hard time which slows down the Progress....

Problem is - as an outsider it's hard to tell what kind of Dev is sitting behind it... one who exploits Patreon or one who struggles with the development (because to few supporteres and whatever). However it's kinda hard to believe in case of StS that it is the latter one.

AlfredBundy4

Feb 12, 2021
This is the majority of the top end patreon games, especially h games, and the primary reason why I don't ever back any that haven't proven themselves yet (like Dystopian Project), and even then I think real hard about their progress and content to time ratio.

Thing is, these projects very rarely finish or release in any more than a throwing out the trash and wiping your hand kind of way. Many of them are literally now 3-5 years beyond predictions for stuff, and then there's the 'ol famous "we took too long so we're going to have to scrap everything and do a complete do over on a new engine or with a new graphics or with 'better' features" only for the project to grind to a halt and release like no new meaningful content for years instead of finishing what they got, then building upon it for a sequel. Yiffalicious is a great example of that.

Look, I get that games need support, but the way I see it, a ton of indie devs have managed this better ways than patreon unless those other income streams are utterly and fully extra support, meaning you get squat for it in return, do well on their game, and use that to fund their next game.

Patreon "successes" by definition and design discourage a game from ever being completed. If you're making half a mil to a mil a year and have to split that with 3 people, all for a 10% complete fan project with barebones content, no 'sane' person would ever rush through that piggybank. There are literally untold hundreds of people spending 10-20 times what the final game will cost for 10% of its content and likely just as high a percentage it'll ever finish.

Like, it's some quick math right there lmao.

That's why I just don't sub anymore. I'll buy the final game to support them if it's worth it, and hey, I'm thankful there are enough whales out there happily wasting money so we get little tidbits of nice h content once in the blue moon, but that ain't going to be me chief.
Exactly right. The system of receiving money for an unfinished project - or incremental work - inherently creates a system that incentivizes NOT finishing a project.

So adult VNs are in a weird state where almost all projects are new developers that think they'll make $10,000 a month off of an initial release of 30 renders. When that doesn't happen they just abandon it.
The other side are those that keep releasing and eventually obtain financial support before slowing to a crawl in order to keep getting that financial support.

Very, very few just make VNs and let whatever happens happen. They make money but they release on a pretty timely schedule. They end projects in a naturally timed manner and male new projects because they trust their ability to create work that people will like.

Those types make up probably 1% of devs. The rest are the first two I mentioned, either abandoning in an update or two or milking the fuck out of it once they bring in some money.
The ultimate shame actually belonging to those that keep paying, IMO. If this dev makes $70k a month for doing almost literally nothing...who can blame him/them? It's on everyone to take that money away and that'll let you know who you're dealing with.

The problem there being that so many people are terrified to never get that nut they want, lol. Look at AWAM. Everyone hates that dev (rightfully) yet won't stop paying him for fear they'll never see the main character get fucked by their preferred person. It's blackmail but they allow themselves to be blackmailed, lol.

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
I get what you saying, but i kinda feel like this type of Mindset shoots them back in the foot at some point. I mean in all honesty, and maybe it's only me, but in itself Summertime Saga is fantastic and really stands out. The Art is particular amazing and IMHO also unique, and the Concept is pretty neat. I mean i'm pretty sure there were Games kinda like this before as well, but for me it felt Summertime Saga made it atleast popular(if it wasn't the first one) within the H-Gaming community, and it felt like Games like Taffy Tales, A Town uncovered and such get a huge push and did pop out after Summertime Saga.

My Point: I do think they are pretty competent Devs, and even if they would finish the Game too fast, i'm pretty sure they would find another great project, which also had a huge follower-base especially after such a great Game like StS is finisher (and i'm with you, i really hope the devs will sell it on Steam once it's finished). However if you drag it out so long and are so slow with the Updates,(atleast if it's on purpose) you will lose the goodwill of People and might screw it up at some point. So i find that rather weird approach....

---
Also - i've to add i can see some Value with Patreon, for soem devs the only reason why they can work on something etc... and i understand less popular games or better say niche have a hard time which slows down the Progress....

Problem is - as an outsider it's hard to tell what kind of Dev is sitting behind it... one who exploits Patreon or one who struggles with the development (because to few supporteres and whatever). However it's kinda hard to believe in case of StS that it is the latter one.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%. I love Summertime Saga, and there are other patreon games I would consider good games. However, this kind of slippery greed (though, honestly, that might be too harsh in some cases) isn't exclusive to patreon or H games. There are plenty of big name games/series out there ruined by chasing dollar signs.

So it doesn't change the fact that they may be excellent devs or the game and or idea itself is good, but like you said, if you shoot yourself in the foot enough times, you're going to bleed out. Utterly off topic so I won't stray far, but that's how you get stuff like Anthem, lol Excellent team, looked great, awesome concept, but EA wanted it to be a Destiny 2 money machine clone instead of a MP Bioware RPG. The devs told the whole story behind the flop, and it's really, really sad.

But no, Patreon can't add value if you ask me, because I doubt all that extra money is going into hiring extra devs or outsourcing work to make things faster... it usually goes into their pockets and little else from what I've seen. The scopes of most games don't even change despite funding doubling or tripling.

And no, they won't lose good faith. Even patreons games that have become memes are still making bank each and every month. Subverse is already a flop and there are still hoards of people defending it and saying it just needs time.

The problem with patreon is that instead of just twiddling your thumbs and praying the game leaves development hell, the development hell lets the devs siphon from your bank account and gives them less and less reason to hurry with each day. That's much worse.

But remember that there are tons of other devs out there who made fully successful (and great) games without resorting to milking patreons. A lot of Japanese devs do just that.

Reactions: chunkas
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes