Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Why did you write yesterday that the update would come out today? Do you still think that because you have reason to believe it, or did you just shoot a news story?
:confused::confused::confused:
Why did you believe anything that you read in this thread? Their response was an obvious joke.
No one knows when. Just be patient.

Xupuzulla

Aug 1, 2022
Hello everyone!

This is my first time writing in this forum, although I have been here for over a year. I am here to express my frustration and disappointment with the developer's inability to deliver a game, despite earning a substantial amount of money per month.

In August 2016, the developers received their first $1 Patreon. As of this year, 2023, they have around 25,000 subscribers, giving the developers $60,000 per month! It has taken them seven years to create a "point and click" game. During these seven years, they have accumulated around 5 million dollars, and the game is still not finished! There are no deadlines, regular updates, or schedules. It appears as though they are taking advantage of their Patreons.

I understand that some may see my review as greedy, envious, or even jealous. That is not the case. There are examples of great games that are popular today and started with a budget less than 5 million dollars.

For example, Stardew Valley had a solo developer who worked on the game for about seven years with a budget of 0. His only budget was his time. But if we consider paying him during this period, the budget would be around 500k dollars, approximately 1/10 of Samertime Saga's budget!

Another example is Minecraft, which started in 2009 with 0 budget by a guy who had a day job. It is more popular than Stardew Valley and has billions in gross profits. Even if we consider a monthly salary for this guy, his budget would still be only 1/10 of Samertime Saga's budget!

This article may not change anything, but I wanted to express my thoughts on this game and its developers. If you are a Patreon, please consider following some better projects that show promise and are in need of your support.

Take care, and happy gaming!

P.s
Data sources for DarkCookie devs

View attachment 2465997

Data sources for Stardew Valley & Minecraft:
This post is too good for this thread.

emixam2005

Jan 2, 2020
It's been a while since I came here
Can't believe the game is still on that "tech upgrade" update
It's been more than a years with this "upgrade" no?
Ok there was some update in the story and all but the last update were all "small update" (that's even how the dev called them)

I know DC is still working on the game since there are regular stream about it, so I'm not yet consider him as a 100% milker like the Gumdrop or Icstor but damn... what's wrong with the delivery delay with this game?

Each update take longer and longer to come out and content of each update decrease from one another.

What is exactly the big deal with this damn "tech upgrade"? Is there a valid reason for it to last sooo long?

I really don't get it.
Maybe the guy is partially milking ok but if it was just to milk patreon, then he wouldn't even show himself working on his stream, he would just stay silent like Gumdrop did for years and years.

Mar 6, 2021
The difference is, that DC is usually streaming his work 7 to 8 hours a week, with each stream ending up being watched somewhere between 3000 and 6000 times. So we are talking about 50.000+ views each month. It's indeed hard to judge how many of his patrons are actually giving money because of that - unlike most other streamers, he doesn't really offer stream goodies for money or such.

For those who are regulars, that's like 30+ hours of entertainment each month. It's hard to argue that nobody is getting anything in this case.
wow he works 7 to 8 hours a week! so much hard work. LOL he works 32 hours a month an earns 61,680 bucks. so he makes 1927 dollars an hour off of 25,850 marks.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGrandMasterCory

4shneed

Jun 7, 2020
I know the updates take forever for this game, but at the end of the day, anyone who is a patron is willingly giving DC their money and can back out at any time. We're big boys and big girls here, so ultimately we are in control of what happens to our own money. SS is a great game regardless, and I'll wait as long as I need for an update to be ready without being rushed. Maybe the development isn't as efficient as other games, but no one has a gun to their head forcing them to give DC their money.

Username7

May 1, 2017
It's been a while since I came here
Can't believe the game is still on that "tech upgrade" update
It's been more than a years with this "upgrade" no?
Ok there was some update in the story and all but the last update were all "small update" (that's even how the dev called them)

I know DC is still working on the game since there are regular stream about it, so I'm not yet consider him as a 100% milker like the Gumdrop or Icstor but damn... what's wrong with the delivery delay with this game?

Each update take longer and longer to come out and content of each update decrease from one another.

What is exactly the big deal with this damn "tech upgrade"? Is there a valid reason for it to last sooo long?

I really don't get it.
Maybe the guy is partially milking ok but if it was just to milk patreon, then he wouldn't even show himself working on his stream, he would just stay silent like Gumdrop did for years and years.
So because you seem genuinely curious here a summery of the train wreck that's been the tech update.
First thing to know is DC's really bad at estimating things like time and workload. He thought it'd take 9 months maybe a year so when he started expanding the backgrounds he did the majority on stream which he admits slows things down a lot like 2-3 days a background slow. While this was happening the posers had nothing to do and all 5 of the ones they hired at the start left the team during this time. Then came the great re-exporting where they found that due to DC not being consistent and lazy (His words not mine.) that tons of assets were mislabeled, broken, half assed or just straight up missing. Necessitating all 15k plus assets having to be re-exported and sorted one by one re-labeled and fixed as they went, my favorite highlight as revealed on stream is they found a whole batch of Eve assets that never made it into the game in the first place because they didn't even know they had them.
Now on to the posing which is a whole other beast because the entire game has to be reposed which means that all the posing for each past update is now an individual task this is also why it's been stuck at 80% as all the content heavy routes need to be finished which is taking so long Stray the coder built an auto reposer to do a lot of heavy lifting however it's not perfect and they still have a lot to do. This is what's holding up the coding in fact the other day they finally got enough of Debbie's route done that Stray could start recoding it. So no it's not that DC's milking or scamming it's that they didn't grasp just how much work there was and that's before all the set backs.

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
I'm sure this tech update will be worth the reversal of revenue growth and loss of potentiality hundreds of thousands of dollars. :WaitWhat:

So because you seem genuinely curious here a summery of the train wreck that's been the tech update.
First thing to know is DC's really bad at estimating things like time and workload. He thought it'd take 9 months maybe a year so when he started expanding the backgrounds he did the majority on stream which he admits slows things down a lot like 2-3 days a background slow. While this was happening the posers had nothing to do and all 5 of the ones they hired at the start left the team during this time. Then came the great re-exporting where they found that due to DC not being consistent and lazy (His words not mine.) that tons of assets were mislabeled, broken, half assed or just straight up missing. Necessitating all 15k plus assets having to be re-exported and sorted one by one re-labeled and fixed as they went, my favorite highlight as revealed on stream is they found a whole batch of Eve assets that never made it into the game in the first place because they didn't even know they had them.
Now on to the posing which is a whole other beast because the entire game has to be reposed which means that all the posing for each past update is now an individual task this is also why it's been stuck at 80% as all the content heavy routes need to be finished which is taking so long Stray the coder built an auto reposer to do a lot of heavy lifting however it's not perfect and they still have a lot to do. This is what's holding up the coding in fact the other day they finally got enough of Debbie's route done that Stray could start recoding it. So no it's not that DC's milking or scamming it's that they didn't grasp just how much work there was and that's before all the set backs.
This is what I figured was going on. Usually it's either A)The dev doesn't have a grasp on work load time frames or B)The dev doesn't communicate well enough before release when it comes to ero games. I had a feeling that the tech update would last a really long time when the dev said it might take 9 months. The community was coaxed into supporting it but tech updates in the middle of development are almost NEVER a good idea. This is a big no no in the gaming world and the main reason why most of the heavy lifting is done prior to assets being created. Mainly because doing so might actually bankrupt a company if some big problem happens that adds years to a dev cycle. It was such a rookie move from this company. But it also seems like there is too much ego going on to just abandon the idea when they learned the scope of the problem and just continue making content until the game is finished and you can make a cleaner game next time.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes