j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Even in 2016, who would make a game (or any visual media) in 4:3 ratio?

the switch to widescreen/cinema ratios for home content started in the late 1980s. My first laserdiscs (fuck you, im old) even had letterbox to counter the 4:3 tvs we all had back then.
It simply happened, because SS wasn't supposed to become a game in the first place. DC wanted to teach himself working with renpy/coding and created a few images. That's, for example, how Roxxy became the cover girl of the game, since she was the first character DC made back then. So it made sense not to bother with large(r) backgrounds, etc.

People liked that, the "game" became popular really fast and back then mobile gaming was indeed much less popular. So - I guess - it just didn't seem important to change the ratio, let alone at the potential cost of losing a lot of the initial momentum and support.

Quite a few of the problems SS still has nowadays are a result of the way it became such a huge project in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsyeboii

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
Really? this is the only 4:3 game I am aware of here.... "most devs?" really? Maybe before 2005 when consoles switched to 16:9. "Many games?" which other games in the last 10yrs?

I smell hyperbole!
Games not having massive black bars on the sides doesn't mean they're not still in 4:3. Most RPGmaker games aren't even 1024 screenrez cause the engine doesn't go that high

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
They done a Code restructure not too long ago, to reduce the mess it had during the years, now if its a mess again its their fault, if i recall was Main coder and they hired a freelance to help recode most of the critical parts of game aswell some other things.

He could hire someone else to help, but at this point he wont, to not make any work conflict that can lead to delay of the tech update, but also he doesnt hire anyone else cause the money reduced from Feb 2022 to Feb 2023, which was a significant lose, you might say that makes no difference but it does, money drops = quality and development goes down.
Got nuked last time but still nope to everything

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
First you say that one cannot decide what people feel, then state that people have donated more than the game is worth. Given that everyone has their own feelings, you can't determine if they've given more than the game is worth to them.
I never said that every subjective opinion is equally valid. I said that you don't get to decide in your own subjective bias whether or not they are worth being heard. I'm actually making an argument for collective objectivity.

But as per your example; I think you can actually come up with an objective standard of value in the gaming industry by looking at and comparing development cost, content, growth, etc. Obviously these things aren't 1 to 1 but the amount of content this game offers is objectively less comparatively to most industry developers, even small indie ones, with revenue that is essentially pure profit, on simplified architecture. The increase in value here is astronomical. Most developers wish they had the kinds of margins that this dev has. A few employees, and 60k (fluctuated) in monthly income is almost unheard of for games of this size and development cost.

Are you claiming the issue is both subjective AND objective?
I'm claiming that there are objective standards that come from a big collection of subjective opinions that align. Not that an individual personalized claim is inherently equal to all others.

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
lol just grow up, your points are speculations aswell, dont try to give ur points has the truth when they are speculations, and try respect other people opinions, dont act like ur opinions and comments are right.
He lost $/month and didn't do anything. That's not speculations. Dev time or whatever didn't go down either. Until proven otherwise by DC hiring 20 dudes and releasing 3 updates per month, my point still holds more validity then all the "but wait till he gets to 0$/month and the game dies out"

Username7

May 1, 2017
They done a Code restructure not too long ago, to reduce the mess it had during the years, now if its a mess again its their fault, if i recall was Main coder and they hired a freelance to help recode most of the critical parts of game aswell some other things.

He could hire someone else to help, but at this point he wont, to not make any work conflict that can lead to delay of the tech update, but also he doesnt hire anyone else cause the money reduced from Feb 2022 to Feb 2023, which was a significant lose, you might say that makes no difference but it does, money drops = quality and development goes down.
Yes they did rework some of the code throughout 2018 and 2019 but that was mostly QOL on front end and only on the parts of the game they were actively working on at the time, Dogeek the coder back then did end up just saying fuck it and did a ton of stuff that needed to be done but wasn't getting voted on in his spare time which btw is the only reason the game has save compatibility. The real issues with the code are all on the back end the very foundations the game was built on and all they really did for that was slap a bunch of bandaids on it hope for the best and call it a day.
TLDR: Yes they fixed up some of the code but it was all about making the game look and play better not making it more stable or easier work on.

Glorious Cat

Jul 25, 2017
"improving existing stories"
Does this mean not-mom will be updated with the tech update (no more 2 frame animations) or just some scene ?

thedoomerjo

Apr 25, 2017
Does this mean not-mom will be updated with the tech update (no more 2 frame animations) or just some scene ?
God, I hope it's a full overhaul. It was always jarring to see her story shift from the new to old artwork as you play it. Hell, that peeping scene when she's on the bed has practically been untouched since, what, v.01?

itsyeboii

Aug 23, 2017
I'm guessing it just means the wallpaper will be used in her story, maybe all of her art (except scenes) will get updated now that they're reposing everything anyways, that would make sense, don't know if this is confirmed tho.

Reactions: petur

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
I'm guessing it just means the wallpaper will be used in her story, maybe all of her art (except scenes) will get updated now that they're reposing everything anyways, that would make sense, don't know if this is confirmed tho.
It does make sense. That would be a lot of work.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes