Yuki-x

Jul 22, 2021
Thanks for those insights.

I don't want to take your illusion away, but by your logic, free software would not exist. But, hey, it does exist, and Summertime Saga is freely available.

I would say DC's problem is that he wants to transfer this game into a new one, instead of simply calling it done and create the Tech Update as a sequel. SS is one of the most complete and most finished games around. All it would have needed was to close some lose ends and start fresh. Patreons who support him now would support the sequel as well, even more since new content would come out much quicker.

Bad management decision, but to call someone who gives the game away for free a milker does not quite fit.
You are quoting someone who contributes a lot in open source programs in my free time (not with this nickname).

So my answer is simply:
Complete BS.
If you understood how developing an application or a game works you would not say any of the above.
IF DarkCookie really worked so hard he would simply release every 3-6 months an alpha or beta time-bombed version for his patrons to check the development and new features of their "investment".
He does not do that because the only work, that he does is writing statistics (that they cannot verify) and posting 1-2 images every now and then.
And I don't blame him. He found idiots willing to get milked and he simply provides the service they want.(y);)

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
You are quoting someone who contributes a lot in open source programs in my free time (not with this nickname).
And you are quoting someone who has intimate knowledge of most, if not all the assets, and coding of this game because they have a very popular mod that they've been maintaining for 5 of the years that the game has been in development.

Oh, and it's under the username they post under - so there is no question to their credentials.

I love how people, such as yourself, who have no idea what the situation is in the development, what challenges a development team is facing, no clue what their full vision is for a release - somehow knows exactly what the developer needs to do be successful or get a release out in that person's preferred timeline.
for his patrons to check the development and new features of their "investment".
And this shows your lack of knowledge of the situation. They aren't investing in anything. That isn't how Patreon works, particularly in DC's situation.

It is very explicit what subscribers get for their tier benefits and the game is not one of them. The schedule of releases is not one of them. What they have been promised for their subscription as tier benefits, they get.

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: thedoomerjo

Yuki-x

Jul 22, 2021
And you are quoting someone who has intimate knowledge of most, if not all the assets, and coding of this game because he has a very popular mod that he's been maintaining for 5 of the years that the game has been in development.

Oh, and it's under the username he posts under - so there is no question to his credentials.
Sorry, I did not know that modding something is so hard. :LOL:
And with this nickname, I am probably the only one that can fully decrypt the enigma protector. So what is your point?

Reactions: Chili_Chale_Cholo

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018

So my answer is simply:
Complete BS.
If you understood how developing an application or a game works you would not say any of the above.
IF DarkCookie really worked so hard he would simply release every 3-6 months an alpha or beta time-bombed version for his patrons to check the development and new features of their "investment".
He does not do that because the only work, that he does is writing statistics (that they cannot verify) and posting 1-2 images every now and then.
And I don't blame him. He found idiots willing to get milked and he simply provides the service they want.(y);)
So in your rant you completely ignore the part where I don't agree with DC.

I would very much appreciate if you stopped insulting everybody. Thank you.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Sorry, I did not know that modding something is so hard. :LOL:
And with this nickname, I am probably the only one that can fully decrypt the enigma protector. So what is your point?
One, no one ever said it was hard. I said they have the street cred because they've actually been elbow deep in the guts of this game and you're just spouting off at the mouth.

Two, and you're King Charles of England, and you have the actual shroud of Turin, oh... and you have a girlfriend who lives in Canada.

Dude, it's the fucking internet on a site where people are anonymous. Anyone can claim anything.

Yuki-x

Jul 22, 2021
So in your rant you completely ignore the part where I don't agree with DC.

I would very much appreciate if you stopped insulting everybody. Thank you.
No I did not.
In your rant you don't agree with him, but are defending him.
Maybe you missed that in my rant I agree with him (he provides the service his patrons want) but I do not feel the need to defend him.
One, no one ever said it was hard. I said they have the street cred because they've actually been elbow deep in the guts of this game and you're just spouting off at the mouth.

Two, and you're King Charles of England, and you have the actual shroud of Turin, oh... and you have a girlfriend who lives in Canada.

Dude, it's the fucking internet on a site where people are anonymous. Anyone can claim anything.
Actually, I'm the reincarnation of "Xerxes the Great"

Reactions: Chili_Chale_Cholo

Kojj4

Nov 7, 2018
Pretty sure the day the income gets cut in half, the new release suddenly will be done in a mere month or even less. Meanwhile enjoy milking the hell out of the horny cow
It brought updates very quickly and suddenly it started taking a long time. another thing. a person who earns $70k will not have many problems in life, such as having two jobs or one job and having time to work on the game. they announced this road map in 2022 and then they will come up with excuses for delay like every successful developer does and we will still see people defending themselves by saying how difficult it is to work on a game.

SemenDaemon

Nov 4, 2023
Bad management decision, but to call someone who gives the game away for free a milker does not quite fit.
I don't get this "he's giving it away for free" thing
I mean he's getting paid for it through patrons (and making quite the salary) so he's not working for free by any means.
Giving it for free also doesn't mean he can't be purposefully lazy or purposefully bottleneck production. Not to say that he IS doing those things for sure. I get the "it's free" argument if people are a little too overboard and go apeshit with their whining but besides that misusing that argument makes it meaningless. Like people who call everyone a "bigot" or "idiot" for not agreeing with their bs takes.

ALSO I've already said this on here before but I'd much rather have this game on a marketplace like Steam and straight up pay a flat fee for it (believe it or not I have bought some of the games on here) because it would solve most of the complaints or hiccups or wtv with this game and people have the ability to review or refund. I don't understand WHY he's not doing that when there are so many NSFW games on Steam. I would like that for one.

Like you said it might be bad management but to completely rule out complacency, greed or malintent like he's some angel is fking weird. Dick riding weird. Just like assuming he's the most evil mf on the planet is weird. Hater boner weird. IMO it's a little bit of both.

Also I know I replied but this is not targeted to you personally I'm shitposting or ranting. I think that's the term? idk

Edit: I had to look up shitposting and this is not shitposting. "Trolling" was fine, why did they....

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
I don't get this "he's giving it away for free" thing
I mean he's getting paid for it through patrons (and making quite the salary) so he's not working for free by any means.
The fine print, so to speak, is important here. People paying DC aren't paying for the game access like they do for other developers. They pay him to create his art. You know in the old fashioned 'patron of the arts' way. Hence why the game is very much free on that technicality.

That it all funds the game is more of second nature as per the agreement between him and his patrons.

It is what it is, and arguing in this thread won't change that fact. No matter how often he's going to be called a milker, or a scammer, or whatever else flies people's fancy.

But hey, why not call the authorities on him if you guys think he's stealing people's money?

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I would say DC's problem is that he wants to transfer this game into a new one, instead of simply calling it done and create the Tech Update as a sequel. SS is one of the most complete and most finished games around. All it would have needed was to close some lose ends and start fresh. Patreons who support him now would support the sequel as well, even more since new content would come out much quicker.
To be fair, ending SS at this point - without the missing content and without the missing reworks - would mean that it would stay a really flawed game by any means.

Given the way 2D games age and stay somewhat "timeless" if they are well made, he's got the chance to create a cornerstone of (mobile) NSFW gaming for many years to come - maybe even for decades. It's a once in a lifetime chance for him.

Sure, he'd likely make the same money creating a new game with regular updates, but I doubt it would ever have the same impact as SS did have and still does.

Poggersq

May 2, 2022
The fine print, so to speak, is important here. People paying DC aren't paying for the game access like they do for other developers. They pay him to create his art. You know in the old fashioned 'patron of the arts' way. Hence why the game is very much free on that technicality.

That it all funds the game is more of second nature as per the agreement between him and his patrons.

It is what it is, and arguing in this thread won't change that fact. No matter how often he's going to be called a milker, or a scammer, or whatever else flies people's fancy.

But hey, why not call the authorities on him if you guys think he's stealing people's money?
that is a good idea, but will they try it is the question

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Yup. I agree.

This is not much different than donating to Public Radio or Public Television in the United States during their membership drives, and receiving a tote and a mug and a calendar (or a DVD!! Ooooo) for their generosity - so that everyone who wants to listen to Public Radio or watch Public Television without commercials and for free.

Or when you go to a free museum which is supported by the contributions of the patrons of the museum. They aren't purchasing the art or the displays or the interactive experiences in the museum, they are supporting the museum's efforts so that the public can enjoy it for free (or an at-will donation, if they so choose).

I'm not saying that DC is benevolent nor that he can't be lazy (in fact, he's been quite honest he doesn't like corporate deadlines and the like). However, knowing the correct analogy for comparison would go a long way to comprehending how the game is free for everyone to play while having patrons supporting a developer's work.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes