Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Can't blame this dev, he is playing the system. And people are dumb enough to continue supporting him. I mean, I would do the same if I had a game that I released and people really enjoyed it, saw that it was making a shit ton of money from patreons, so then I would make sure to be really slow with updates, so that I will be set for life and retirement.

He is earning $62,870 per month . Think about that for a second. He is almost making 1 million every year. Why would I end that income by finishing that game if I was him. Why even start a new project? It could end up being a total failure. I'd be making my actual life a Summertime Saga and just fucking women and driving my Lambo.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. He is milking this for every last drop, and we're just sharks swimming around his yacht.
He has stated since the beginning that as long as people want to play the game, that they have ideas to add to the game, and that they enjoy doing what they are doing that they won't stop developing this. From about 6 years ago:

He's been very up front with this. Also, this is not unlike studios which revisit, revise, recode, reboot major titles.

(EDIT: Also, it's obvious from the interview that his ability to predict timelines and deadlines sucks. No one should have been surprised, especially DC, that his inability to do so would lead to a tech update taking much longer than he initially expected. The man can't predict worth shit.)

You say milking. Patreon subscriptions are for supporting creators in what they are doing, not for product access or product purchase - unless developers say as such. No one needs to pay anything play Summertime Saga. It's available for free to download directly from the developer. The only gameplaying benefit that subscribers get is that they get first access (up to 24 hours before the public) and downloading directly subscriber-only servers. If people only want to play Summertime Saga when there are updates (which were every several months before the tech update but which may not be for another 8 months or a year or more) they can do so without letting loose a dime. If subscribers want to stop their membership, no one is stopping them and nothing is stopping them from accessing the game. How is he milking?

Last edited:

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
He has stated since the beginning that as long as people want to play the game, that they have ideas to add to the game, and that they enjoy doing what they are doing that they won't stop developing this. From about 6 years ago:

He's been very up front with this. Also, this is not unlike studios which revisit, revise, recode, reboot major titles.

(EDIT: Also, it's obvious from the interview that his ability to predict timelines and deadlines sucks. No one should have been surprised, especially DC, that his inability to do so would lead to a tech update taking much longer than he initially expected. The man can't predict worth shit.)

You say milking. Patreon subscriptions are for supporting creators in what they are doing, not for product access or product purchase - unless developers say as such. No one needs to pay anything play Summertime Saga. It's available for free to download directly from the developer. The only gameplaying benefit that subscribers get is that they get first access (up to 24 hours before the public) and downloading directly subscriber-only servers. If people only want to play Summertime Saga when there are updates (which were every several months before the tech update but which may not be for another 8 months or a year or more) they can do so without letting loose a dime. If subscribers want to stop their membership, no one is stopping them and nothing is stopping them from accessing the game. How is he milking?
You'd probably have to explain the concept of "patron of the arts' first.

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
Can't blame this dev, he is playing the system. And people are dumb enough to continue supporting him. I mean, I would do the same if I had a game that I released and people really enjoyed it, saw that it was making a shit ton of money from patreons, so then I would make sure to be really slow with updates, so that I will be set for life and retirement.

He is earning $62,870 per month . Think about that for a second. He is almost making 1 million every year. Why would I end that income by finishing that game if I was him. Why even start a new project? It could end up being a total failure. I'd be making my actual life a Summertime Saga and just fucking women and driving my Lambo.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. He is milking this for every last drop, and we're just sharks swimming around his yacht.
A few points, if only to illustrate the insane range of earnings out in the world:

1. $62,870 * 12 = $754,440. That's considerably less than $1 million.
2. He's gotta pay for a full-time coder and several contractors out of that monthly amount, as well as whatever overhead the website represents. Let's be generous and say when all is said and done he's keeping ~$50k a month gross, or about $600k a year. That's pre-tax, too, so maybe $400k take-home a year once that's handled.
3. What kind of Tommy Tallarico fantasy world do you live in where $600k a year is nothing but Lambos and women? That's a lot of money to an average pleb, but in the world of high-paid professional salaries it's somewhere in the "pretty good" mark. I work with an attorney who comfortably clears in excess of $50k every month for ~100 hours of billables, all WFH.

Plus, it's pretty well documented that most of his free time is spent juggling his wife, three kids, and the various illnesses they keep giving him. Hardly a glamorous lifestyle. :ROFLMAO:

Lucky Guerrilla

Game Developer
Jan 26, 2021
A few points, if only to illustrate the insane range of earnings out in the world:

1. $62,870 * 12 = $754,440. That's considerably less than $1 million.
2. He's gotta pay for a full-time coder and several contractors out of that monthly amount, as well as whatever overhead the website represents. Let's be generous and say when all is said and done he's keeping ~$50k a month gross, or about $600k a year. That's pre-tax, too, so maybe $400k take-home a year once that's handled.
3. What kind of Tommy Tallarico fantasy world do you live in where $600k a year is nothing but Lambos and women? That's a lot of money to an average pleb, but in the world of high-paid professional salaries it's somewhere in the "pretty good" mark. I work with an attorney who comfortably clears in excess of $50k every month for ~100 hours of billables, all WFH.

Plus, it's pretty well documented that most of his free time is spent juggling his wife, three kids, and the various illnesses they keep giving him. Hardly a glamorous lifestyle. :ROFLMAO:
Ah, the world where $600k a year is poverty wages :rolleyes:

e hasn't left. Strayerror, the current coder, has been on the team since mid-2019.
He's been coding the project for the last 4 years? And it's still taking him 2 years to sort the code out? Fucking hell, that's worse than I thought.

Christ, the laziness and the incompetence shown by this project is unbelievable.

DC hired one coder, and part time, when clearly the Tech update would need more. They also have never heard of branches. It's criminal the level of idiocy that has gone into the last major update and yet people are still here white-knighting them.

And yes, maybe it's bad form to criticise another developer. But I think it's right to call out shitty behaviour. At no point has DC ever suspended payments. He never updated his target (which isn't even visible on his Patreon page now). Oh, and if you want updates on how they are failing to actually advance? You need to give them a dollar a month. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

He's been coding the project for the last 4 years? And it's still taking him 2 years to sort the code out? Fucking hell, that's worse than I thought.

Christ, the laziness and the incompetence shown by this project is unbelievable.
Also, it's a bit unprofessional for one developer to shittalk another developer in public, especially when they are aware the target of their shittalking never comes in the thread. It looks more like petty jealousy than professional critique - particularly with the word usage.

• Angry
Reactions: Toushiro

kikilake12

Jun 1, 2020

DC hired one coder, and part time, when clearly the Tech update would need more. They also have never heard of branches. It's criminal the level of idiocy that has gone into the last major update and yet people are still here white-knighting them.

And yes, maybe it's bad form to criticise another developer. But I think it's right to call out shitty behaviour. At no point has DC ever suspended payments. He never updated his target (which isn't even visible on his Patreon page now). Oh, and if you want updates on how they are failing to actually advance? You need to give them a dollar a month. Unbelievable.
the coder is full time i asked dc this myself one time on stream

• Haha
Reactions: BeaAndNessa

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
Never said it was, just pointing out that it ain't high roller money. There's a persistent undercurrent in this thread that DC has a money bin full of Patreon bux that he swims around in like Scrooge McDuck, and I figured it'd be helpful to point out that the only way you're living in a mansion full of sports cars at that income level is if you're financed up to your eyeballs. I'm in full agreement that DC has heavily mismanaged the project, though.

Man, anybody got something on-topic they want to bring us back around to? Shitposting about income levels and project management is fun and all, but I come to this thread mostly for titties.

Edit: Let's talk Annie. DC posted this a long while back and I still think it's one of the hottest goddamn things he's ever made. What do people want out of her story?

1693433510600.jpeg

Marphey

May 13, 2019
Never said it was, just pointing out that it ain't high roller money. There's a persistent undercurrent in this thread that DC has a money bin full of Patreon bux that he swims around in like Scrooge McDuck, and I figured it'd be helpful to point out that the only way you're living in a mansion full of sports cars at that income level is if you're financed up to your eyeballs. I'm in full agreement that DC has heavily mismanaged the project, though.

Man, anybody got something on-topic they want to bring us back around to? Shitposting about income levels and project management is fun and all, but I come to this thread mostly for titties.

Edit: Let's talk Annie. DC posted this a long while back and I still think it's one of the hottest goddamn things he's ever made. What do people want out of her story?

View attachment 2891459
I just want to fuck her mom

phill_leotardo

Dec 20, 2019

View attachment 2891459
Tough call between Roxxy and Jenny. Look at those goddamn things:

View attachment 2891468

That's four lethal weapons in one screenshot. Being sandwiched in there would make me die a happy man, come back to life to spread the word of Boobie, then die again.
Every young girl that has big tits, usually has small asses in this game. Why can't we have both

Reactions: lexlutha

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
so why is no one hating on kompass when they are the one's controlling everything behind the scenes?
Kompass Productions is DarkCookie's company.

Better?
59u2qvrqhxk61.gif
I'm calling out shitty behaviour. I never got the numbers he got, but it's not jealousy. I never got the numbers ICSTOR got or Bones got or Gumdrop got either, but those have been recognised as scammers. It's not jealousy, it's a warning that this is Vaporware. You are white knighting someone who has taken his fans for a ride. If his coder is full time, he should be done by now. This is not that complicated a game and 2 years is plenty of time to rewrite it, and yet it isn't done. His monthly updates say nothing and are just a wordy form of his patronising previous update that simply said "soon".

I honestly don't care what you think of me. My record stands for itself. You can search my post history and see that I was always honest with my followers, including when I literally told them to stop donating because I couldn't deliver. I was honest when it actually cost me money. What I never did was string people on with "Soon" for two whole years.

You're active in Breadman's thread, you know what a good, honest developer looks like. Why are you bothering here?
I am whiteknighting no one. There is nothing that subscribers get in gameplaying benefits. NOTHING. Subscribers are well aware of this. They get fewer than 24 hours of early access when an update is released and use of subscriber-only servers to download from. That's it in terms of the game. Nothing else.

What scam is there? DC isn't holding the game hostage for people to subscribe more. It's free on his website for everyone - as it always has been. Again, you are a developer and are fully aware of the purpose of Patreon and Subscribestar and other sites. It's not about access to any product - unless the creator makes it that way, and DC doesn't make it that way. His product is free for everyone. Yes, the subscribers make that possible.

You aren't calling out shitty behavior, you're displaying shitty behavior. You can't understand the basic idea of being a patron. Of a person supporting an artist simply because they like the work the artist is doing - with little to no strings attached. This is no different than tossing a buck into a busker's hat every Monday on your way out of the subway station simply because you like the music the musician is playing. It's free for everyone because of the few that toss a buck into the hat.

As for the other developer at the end of your comment - he has also been accused of exactly the same thing you are accusing DC of. Almost EVERY single developer on this site gets the accusation. Whenever it takes a year longer, a month longer, a week longer ... or even a day longer ... than the person making the accusation thinks it should take. The person bitches that a developer is a scam artist or a milker while they pine away wanting to download the developer's hard work without paying a single penny. The fucking irony of it.

Poggersq

May 2, 2022
Kompass Productions is DarkCookie's company.
Better?
View attachment 2891461
I am whiteknighting no one. There is nothing that subscribers get in gameplaying benefits. NOTHING. Subscribers are well aware of this. They get fewer than 24 hours of early access when an update is released and use of subscriber-only servers to download from. That's it in terms of the game. Nothing else.

What scam is there? DC isn't holding the game hostage for people to subscribe more. It's free on his website for everyone - as it always has been. Again, you are a developer and are fully aware of the purpose of Patreon and Subscribestar and other sites. It's not about access to any product - unless the creator makes it that way, and DC doesn't make it that way. His product is free for everyone. Yes, the subscribers make that possible.

You aren't calling out shitty behavior, you're displaying shitty behavior. You can't understand the basic idea of being a patron. Of a person supporting an artist simply because they like the work the artist is doing - with little to no strings attached. This is no different than tossing a buck into a busker's hat every Monday on your way out of the subway station simply because you like the music the musician is playing. It's free for everyone because of the few that toss a buck into the hat.

As for the other developer at the end of your comment - he has also been accused of exactly the same thing you are accusing DC of. Almost EVERY single developer on this site gets the accusation. Whenever it takes a year longer, a month longer, a week longer ... or even a day longer ... than the person making the accusation thinks it should take. The person bitches that a developer is a scam artist or a milker while they pine away wanting to download the developer's hard work without paying a single penny.
you can impregnate the three of them? cause i tried it don't work like that.

4.00 star(s) 363 Votes