• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Mod Ren'Py Sunshine Love [Ch.1 v1.00, Ch.2 v1.01i, & Ch.3 v1.01i] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
You're missing an important aspect... RenPy's "default" hotkeys work regardless of interface. It's actual VN code (or mod code, doesn't matter) that is affected by the RenPy rule. Code outside the RenPy core language is NOT executed if the interface is hidden. RenPy's core language code IS executed even if the interface is hidden. Make sense?
Hmmm... Ok! Now I'm even more confused :ROFLMAO:
So... In my understanding of things, Ren'Py is an engine that allows you to create one or more Visual Novels (VN) whose coding is done in Python. My knowledge in this area is quite limited, having never practiced this coding language, nor attempted to create a VN. I would love to learn, as it has been tickling my fancy for a while, but I know it's a lot of time to invest and it's an important factor I'm missing due to my workload.
But, if I understand what you are saying (writing), these are commands like S, H, or any hotkey, etc... which are executed differently depending on whether the Ren'Py code is modified or not by, for example the code of your mod?
To take a concrete example, what makes the difference between the "LoF" VN, and this "SB" VN that I played, for the first with your mod, and this one, that I'm currently playing with your mod. For LoF I didn't encounter this problem, nor in other games where I used your mod. That said, this is the first time I've played with this hotkey change with your mod. Are these Ren'py rules you're talking about new, or does this change mean that the hotkey "S" is no longer part of the main code, but yours?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
But, if I understand what you are saying (writing), these are commands like S, H, or any hotkey, etc... which are executed differently depending on whether the Ren'Py code is modified or not by, for example the code of your mod?
Any RenPy core code is available to be executed by RenPy whether the interface is hidden or not, meaning that the core code that makes RenPy will execute (the base mechanical functionality of the core language itself, which includes it's internal keyboard accessibility "hotkeys").
To take a concrete example, what makes the difference between the "LoF" VN, and this "SB" VN that I played, for the first with your mod, and this one, that I'm currently playing with your mod. For LoF I didn't encounter this problem, nor in other games where I used your mod. That said, this is the first time I've played with this hotkey change with your mod.
Any current gen SanchoMod (mod core v7+) has it's own hotkey code by default and it works identical regardless of VN it's applied to (by design to keep things consistent in behavior).
Are these Ren'py rules you're talking about new, or does this change mean that the hotkey "S" is no longer part of the main code, but yours?
No, not new, as old as it's debut. All coding languages have core functionality that is always "on". Any additional outside code fucntions (such as VN script or mod script in the case of RenPy) is NOT the languages core functionality but a "third-party" added scripting. By "rule" I basically mean how things are treated in relation. RenPy disregards any outside (third-party) scripting functionality (commands, functions, or other processing) while the interface is "hidden". Only RenPy's core language protocol functionality is available during the interface being hidden which happens to include RenPy's internal keyboard commands (if unmodded of course).

SanchoMod hijacks RenPy's keyboard accessibility code and manipulates it. Even though I do this RenPy is not stupid and knows I'm hijacking it and therefore kills this "third-party" code scripting/functionality while the interface is hidden.

I'm trying to answer my best in layman's terms to ease the understanding between a coding language's core functionality versus external functionality (via someone writing script based on the languages core functionality that allows it, e.g. scripting).

Reactions: ♂Brout&Minou♀

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
I'm trying to answer my best in layman's terms to ease the understanding between a coding language's core functionality versus external functionality (via someone writing script based on the languages core functionality that allows it, e.g. scripting).
And you do it great cause even a dummy like me understands.
Well, I won't be able to code a VN anytime soon, but at least I'll be able to better understand how it works. So modifying elements governed by this or these rules would amount to completely re-encoding the source code of Ren'Py, or at least, practically entirely to put it simply?
Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to explain it to me.

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Good morning,

Please see #9 "HotKey 'S' Toggle" at the bottom of the FAQ post here.
Other than "because I wanted to", "because I could" and/or "because I don't really take screenshots", is there any compelling reason that you changed this in your mod and didn't simply make "Shift s" the hotkey entry to bring up the stat screen, forcing people that use your mod to adjust to an unnatural behavior when using your mod?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Other than "because I wanted to", "because I could" and/or "because I don't really take screenshots", is there any compelling reason that you changed this in your mod and didn't simply make "Shift s" the hotkey entry to bring up the stat screen, forcing people that use your mod to adjust to an unnatural behavior when using your mod?
"..forcing people ... to adjust to an unnatural behavior..." - You're coming at me with that? "Forcing" and "unnatural behavior"?

Bud, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. Your post is taking the viewpoint that I make these mods for other "people", but I make them for my personal use. I'm simply sharing my toys with others that are also playing in the same playground out of pure gratuity (although I do some extra UI work so the mod's aesthetics and manipulating the mod's features are easier for public consumption).

There's a difference as this is not a commercial product, it is a private product I'm sharing. Consider that I could just as easily continue to make mods for my own use and not share anything at all.

I do take screenshots all the time (My posts on this site are littered with them) but I've never used RenPy for that purpose, that's true. Also consider that I use my mods to assist developers bug test and for consulting work (also done as a gratuity) so the ability of me using my own mod as a tool to quickly maneuver is vital, and that includes single-key hotkeys that I'm comfortable with.

If any of the above rubs someone the wrong way then so be it as (imho) they are not understanding why I create mods in the first place. I do it for my own use of enjoying a VN and to assist in my work with developer collaboration. Me offering them available for DL to other members of this site (you folks) is not forced, it's completely optional, and so is the specific hotkey being referenced... with a push of a button you get your precious "S" button back... just don't hide the UI and it works identical.

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
And I think many members of this community can thank you for these shares. The arrogance of others sometimes makes me lose my temper. Not satisfied with reaping the fruits of others' labor for free, When they don't even understand what sharing means

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
"..forcing people ... to adjust to an unnatural behavior..." - You're coming at me with that? "Forcing" and "unnatural behavior"?

Bud, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. Your post is taking the viewpoint that I make these mods for other "people", but I make them for my personal use. I'm simply sharing my toys with others that are also playing in the same playground out of pure gratuity (although I do some extra UI work so the mod's aesthetics and manipulating the mod's features are easier for public consumption).

There's a difference as this is not a commercial product, it is a private product I'm sharing. Consider that I could just as easily continue to make mods for my own use and not share anything at all.

I do take screenshots all the time (My posts on this site are littered with them) but I've never used RenPy for that purpose, that's true. Also consider that I use my mods to assist developers bug test and for consulting work (also done as a gratuity) so the ability of me using my own mod as a tool to quickly maneuver is vital, and that includes single-key hotkeys that I'm comfortable with.

If any of the above rubs someone the wrong way then so be it as (imho) they are not understanding why I create mods in the first place. I do it for my own use of enjoying a VN and to assist in my work with developer collaboration. Me offering them available for DL to other members of this site (you folks) is not forced, it's completely optional, and so is the specific hotkey being referenced... with a push of a button you get your precious "S" button back... just don't hide the UI and it works identical.
And I think many members of this community can thank you for these shares. The arrogance of others sometimes makes me lose my temper. Not satisfied with reaping the fruits of others' labor for free, When they don't even understand what sharing means
You both miss my point. Appreciative of the work done and the sharing done, but logic would suggest you don't change a function that works perfectly fine as is, that every user knows and uses regularly, and then have to add in a new hot key or alternative workaround to restore the original function. It's extra work that wasn't necessary that also leads to unnecessary confusion. The logical solution would have been to not change the original hot key, and then use the new hot key for the new function. That may sound simplistic, but simple is often both elegant and sensible.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
but logic would suggest you don't change a function that works perfectly fine as is, that every user knows and uses regularly
You're making the assumption that because you personally use that particular feature that everyone does bud. That's not the case as it's a very small percentage of folks that have ever brought it up out of tens of thousands that have used the mod. I've stated already that I never have (and have no intention of having) a Python program create screenshots for me that PowerToys and other inter-OS apps on my studio system already do better.

To each their own of course, but again, I do not make these mods for you (the proverbial "you" meaning the public at large), I make them for me and simply share them. The only reason I placed a toggle for the damn hotkey in every SanchoCheats screen is so you have a choice... again, out of full gratuity of my personal share. So I've done the extra work only to appease a very small percentage of folks of all that I'm sharing a personal product to. I'd say that's above and beyond. If you don't agree then that's fine, again to each their own... but this is my own.

If my intent was to make this a commercial product then it wouldn't have half the feature sets (including any hotkey replacements) so I could simply knock them out in batches across hundreds of VN's in one go... but that's not the point of the mod at all.

It's also not my intent to debate this ad nauseam. I stand by my case and intent. If one of the dozens of features don't suit someone then simply turn the feature Off... it's not complicated. I have all the features that I personally want and use daily On by default... and that includes the Stat screen hotkey which I toggle constantly during updates (I can cycle through the pages faster than the MiniStat plus it's more efficient for me to read quickly due to the being a larger asset than the MiniStat).

Bottom Line:
Your point and view have been taken into consideration and declined. I'm not saying your opinion or desire is wrong for you... but I'm not going to change that feature at this time. If I find a better, more efficient way to work updates and use the mod the way I personally want to use it while playing the VN's that doesn't require the in-game stat screen toggle then I'll consider it at that point.

I do appreciate your input, truly... and I write this long post to try and fully explain my stance in a respectful manner that I hear you but I simply disagree. That said I do hope that such a minor thing won't kill your enjoyment of a VN while using my personal work with it.

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
You both miss my point. Appreciative of the work done and the sharing done, but logic would suggest you don't change a function that works perfectly fine as is, that every user knows and uses regularly, and then have to add in a new hot key or alternative workaround to restore the original function. It's extra work that wasn't necessary that also leads to unnecessary confusion. The logical solution would have been to not change the original hot key, and then use the new hot key for the new function. That may sound simplistic, but simple is often both elegant and sensible.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By pointing this change of hotkey out I didn't intend to make a big deal out of it. I just thought I'd point this out as feedback, having known about Sancho mods for a long time, and once or twice it turned out to be some sort of bug or something he missed
Seeing that this S hotkey didn't work anymore, I just though that will be good for him to know, so just a feeback, nothing more, cause generally, I use the original screnshot hotkey from the keyboard with some other software, like "Ditto" to name just one. I wouldn't explain how and why this work like that. Sancho is big guy, and if you didn't know before, He has pretty clearly explained how he doing his work, while he's sharing it. You have to admit that saying he's forcing the player to use his mod is pretty ludicrous, since if you're not using it, you won't encounter this hotkey change. It was this sentence that made me jump.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a game to finish :cool:

Twist_19

Aug 19, 2019
Does anyone know what the Georgina3some event choice is that is listed in the mod ministat screen? Was there a scene for this somewhere that I missed?

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Does anyone know what the Georgina3some event choice is that is listed in the mod ministat screen? Was there a scene for this somewhere that I missed?
Apologies for late reply, I wasn't pinged.

Georgina3Some is an event var from Week1. It is obtained during the convo with Nicole and Georgina at the beginning of the story (Chapter 1):
1707963499768.png

Twist_19

Aug 19, 2019
Apologies for late reply, I wasn't pinged.

Georgina3Some is an event var from Week1. It is obtained during the convo with Nicole and Georgina at the beginning of the story (Chapter 1):
Thanks for the reply. Week 1 was so long ago I didn't remember anything about this, thought there was a Georgina threesome scene/ending I missed

Sparhawker

Mar 23, 2022
Always love your mods and use them every time I can. I thought this was a 'multi' mod though. I just got the 'got to the church' or 'help the other girl' first split and ran through both scenarios for the donuts, but now I see there is a split from the split...and I guess there would be others as well.
Shame we cant do it all easily, though then I guess it wouldn't be a game with consequences.
Keep up the good work.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I thought this was a 'multi' mod though.
Sigh, it is.

"Multi-mod" does not (and never has been intended to) reference multiple LIs/routes (which is what you seem to be addressing). "Multi" refers to the features of a mod. In other words a mod that just provides a walkthrough, or just provides a scene gallery, or just provides a UI enhancer is NOT a multi-mod... it's a single-purpose modification. Multi-mod has multiple-purpose feature set combined into one. Another common software term for this is "suite" which is another commonly used synonym. This is universal.

• Wow
Reactions: Elhemeer

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
How do i change varibale value on the stat screen so I can see all endings?
You don't cheat alternative endings via stat screens bud. Stat screens are for displaying dynamic information (and will eventually inform you of what endings you are capable of being awarded in your current playthough in real-time). There's ~21 endings to this VN if memory serves (it's been a minute) but you can force (cheat) alternative endings in a few different ways.

Multiple save method (non-cheat)
Kind of obvious: makes saves during standard playthough at a minimum of where the mod informs you there's a split then later reload that save and make different choices accordingly.

Mod's gallery method (SanchoGallery)
The easiest way to see all endings is via SanchoGallery which are all the "Wk 13" titled scenes starting with the one highlighted below:
1716290553873.png

Cheat method (SanchoCheats)
Due to how RenPy processes variables BEFORE choice menu screen info is written (displayed) on-screen, the in-game "cheat" method is best summarized this way (imo):

Once you get to this choice (it will vary depending on your current playthrough) in Wk13's gameplay (make a save file here so you can revert your cheat(s) later):
1716290663670.png

Rollback at least one frame and open the SanchoCheats screen:
1716290774621.png

Change whatever items you wish according the the info found in the first step's "Choice requires..." info, then advance one frame forward to repopulate the menu choice. In this example I changed Yuki's points from 114 to 115 to unlock that choice:
1716290973797.png

That about summarizes the three most common ways. Regards.

Reactions: Elhemeer
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes