DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
It is worth noting that she was exactly the same age as them
also late teens, not children
Early teens. It happened during Middle School to around early highschool. That's between the ages of 14 to 16. Late teens is 18 to 19. So yes, they're children. :rolleyes:

Edit: looking at the scene again, Ella was 14 and it happened during graduation day so yes, she potentially killed 13 and 14 year olds. I don't know about where you live but 13 and 14 is not late teens at all.

Last edited:

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Early teens. It happened during Middle School to around early highschool. That's between the ages of 14 to 16. Late teens is 18 to 19. So yes, they're children. :rolleyes:
No, 14 to 16 are not "children". they are underage, that is not the same thing.
If you look it up in the dictionary. the traditional definition for a child is someone between the ages of infancy and puberty (which is 12 year old).

There is an alternative more recent definition of "someone under the age of majority". this definition is stupid and few people use it.
Also age of majority varies by country between the ages of 15 and 21.
and can vary even further by religion. example in judaism the age of majority is 13

Age of majority is extreme arbitrary. And few people would call someone who is 20 years and 11 months old a "child" just because he is under the age of majority in his country.
So... childhood ends at 12. at which point you are an adolescent
Edit: looking at the scene again, Ella was 14 and it happened during graduation day so yes, she potentially killed 13 and 14 year olds. I don't know about where you live but 13 and 14 is not late teens at all.
I remembered it as highschool instead of middle schools. so age 18ish. Hence I said late teens.
if it was middle school, then 14 year old ella killed 14 year old classmates.

When you call someone a child murderer, it implies they are an adult. It is a bad faith argument to omit the fact that they are literally the same age.

Last edited:

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
If you look it up in the dictionary. the traditional definition for a child is someone between the ages of infancy and puberty (which is 12 year old).

There is an alternative more recent definition of "someone under the age of majority". this definition is stupid and few people use it.
and can vary even further by religion. example in judaism the age of majority is 13

Age of majority is extreme arbitrary. And few people would call someone who is 20 years and 11 months old a "child" just because he is under the age of majority in his country.

I remembered it as highschool instead of middle schools. so age 18ish. Hence I said late teens.
if it was middle school, then 14 year old ella killed 14 year old classmates.

When you call someone a child murderer, it implies they are an adult. It is a bad faith argument to omit the fact that they are literally the same age.
None of this changes that Ella got a group of 13 to 14 year olds killed. It doesn't matter that Ella was also that age. The point was she got them killed. She knew they were going to die and made sure Christie wasn't there when it happened.

As for this age debate, I'm not interested in going any further into it. It doesn't change the main point of my post, that she did something really fucked up. If it makes you feel better then they're not "children" as I called them and Ella's not a "child killer". She's upgraded to a killer of middle schoolers now. Hooray for Ella!

You're cool with that? Since that specific part was what bothered you the most, I assume. Not that it makes what Ella did any less horrible but hey if this minor( :KEK:) correction is what you wanted, you got it. I'm getting this out the way now so it doesn't drag out any longer than necessary.

EllasBitch

Jan 10, 2023
So it probably won't be for a long time but does anyone know if we'll ever go back to the first major choice in the story where the patrons decided between fighting or running away from
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
cause it seemed like that was where the story was going to have 2 routes.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
None of this changes that Ella got a group of 13 to 14 year olds killed.
"14 year old kills 14 year old" is very different from "20+ year old kills a 6 year olds"
When you say "X is a child murderer" you are indicating the latter. Which is dishonest misrepresentation of the facts

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
"14 year old kills 14 year old" is very different from "20+ year old kills a 6 year olds"
When you say "X is a child murderer" you are indicating the latter. Which is dishonest misrepresentation of the facts
This might be true in some languages, but I don't think this distinction exists in regular English usage. A child murderer can be anyone who kills children or a child who murders others. Ella counts either way since she was a child who killed other children.

Example article:

I also stumbled across a on Stack Exchange, strangely enough.

Well, I'm definitely going to need to murder my search history after this.

Last edited:

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
It's not dishonest. I didn't say "Ella is a Child Murderer". You're the one being dishonest by putting that specific wording in my mouth. I said "Ella murdered a school full of children". But like I said, I have no interest in discussing this any further with you. I don't care how you feel on it. I've already accommodated you more than enough on it.

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
eyerolls. this is literally the same thing. that slight alteration in phrasing has identical meaning.
Same thing my ass.

The problem with your comment is it's moving towards what Hero did when my post is primarily about Ella and her actions. Ella, whether directly or indirectly, still got children massacred. I won't be giving her the same benefit of the doubt and her warning that she's going to fuck with you isn't something that should be cheered about.
In fact, here's my original quote that's unedited so everyone can see. Where in there did I say "Ella is a Child Murderer".

Saying "Ella got children killed" doesn't = me saying "Ella is a child murderer". Her age doesn't matter to this statement because there would still be a group of children being killed.

Only thing, I potentially misrepresented was them qualifying as children still at 13 to 14. You twisted it just to argue with me.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
In fact, here's my original quote
Your most up to date quotes work just fine:
I didn't say "Ella is a Child Murderer".
I said "Ella murdered a school full of children".
===
Same thing my ass.
It is the same thing.
"X is a child murderer" is saying the same thing as "X murdered a school full of children"

Actually if anything "X is a child murderer" is a slightly more tame statement.
As your actual wording is more of "X is a child mass murderer"

specifying which specific children (school children) does not make a meaningful difference to the statement
Only thing, I potentially misrepresented was them qualifying as children still at 13 to 14. You twisted it just to argue with me.
A. Misattributing childhood to the victim of murder is pretty damn huge thing.
B. You also conveniently omitted the part where ella was the same age as them.

And I didn't "twist it just to argue with you". I pointed out that your original statement is misleading because <insert clarification>. Because it is misleading, not because I just want to argue.

If you genuinely thought your original statement was fine as is then there would not even be an argument.
Nothing stopping you from just letting my clarification stand as is.
Why is it so threatening to you that I clarified Ella was 14 at the time?

C. Also, while we are at it. you keep on saying "an entire school". but it was actually more like a single classroom's worth.

Last edited:

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I don't see any misrepresentation there. Someone under the age of majority or not yet an adult IS a child...that's one of the basic of the word. I don't think there's any indication that in the world of Superhuman children legally or socially become adults at super young ages. OK, Michael's family probably views adulthood as starting from age 5 or so, but they're clearly presented as a fringe case in the game.

What all this argumentation isn't preparing us for is the inevitable retcon that will reveal Ella was actually trying to save the children (in fact, ALL children) the whole time. I'll definitely want an "Ella is still evil/morally complex" mod if WeirdWorld does that to us.

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
Your most up to date quotes work just fine:

===

It is the same thing.
"X is a child murderer" is saying the same thing as "X murdered a school full of children"

Actually if anything "X is a child murderer" is a slightly more tame statement.
As your actual wording is more of "X is a child mass murderer"

specifying which specific children (school children) does not make a meaningful difference to the statement

A. Misattributing childhood to the victim of murder is pretty damn huge thing.
B. You also conveniently omitted the part where ella was the same age as them.

And I didn't "twist it just to argue with you". I pointed out that your original statement is misleading because <insert clarification>. Because it is misleading, not because I just want to argue.

If you genuinely thought your original statement was fine as is then there would not even be an argument.
Nothing stopping you from just letting my clarification stand as is.
Why is it so threatening to you that I clarified Ella was 14 at the time?

C. Also, while we are at it. you keep on saying "an entire school". but it was actually more like a single classroom's worth.
My original comment wasn't misleading. Her age doesn't matter at all. I corrected you by saying she's 14 when you thought, in your "clarification", she was in her late teens and that it happened in highschool. When in fact it happened in middle school.

Once again, I didn't label Ella anything. Saying she massacred a school full of children says nothing about what Ella's labelled as besides evil. You jumped to those conclusions yourself to put that title on her head just to argue my point from that angle.

I didn't "conveniently" left out her age. Her age doesn't matter at all and I'm the one who corrected you on it by telling you her exact age. It doesn't matter if you changed Ella'a age to 100, 57, 39, 22, 10, 4 or even 1. The group that would have been killed by them would still be classified as a group of children. Which was my point. It doesn't matter who did it, it would still be a group of children being killed. The only thing I may have got wrong was them still being considered children still at 13 to 14.

You on the other hand tried twisting my point by bringing up something as irrelevant as "technically a child murderer has to be an adult to be considered that" when I never said Ella was a "Child Murderer" in the first place. I've called her Evil. It literally doesn't changed that a group of children died. It doesn't make what she did any less messed.

"Nothing stopping you from letting my clarification stand" that goes both ways, you know? There's nothing stopping you from letting my post stand as well but here we are.

"Why is it so threatening to that I clarified Ella's 14". Eh, what? In fact, I corrected you for thinking she was older than 14 in the first place. Her age doesn't matter at all.

As for your C point, I overlooked it. That's all.

I don't see any misrepresentation there. Someone under the age of majority or not yet an adult IS a child...that's one of the basic of the word. I don't think there's any indication that in the world of Superhuman children legally or socially become adults at super young ages. OK, Michael's family probably views adulthood as starting from age 5 or so, but they're clearly presented as a fringe case in the game.

What all this argumentation isn't preparing us for is the inevitable retcon that will reveal Ella was actually trying to save the children (in fact, ALL children) the whole time. I'll definitely want an "Ella is still evil/morally complex" mod if WeirdWorld does that to us.
Ah, that's good to know. So it doesn't change that it was a group of children was killed. Meaning my point still stands.

Also, I doubt she tried to save them. That kind of retcon would be a bit out of character. Even during those scenes, she seemed a bit crazy.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Ah, that's good to know
It is not new information. I explicitly said it and addressed it earlier
I don't see any misrepresentation there. Someone under the age of majority or not yet an adult IS a child...that's one of the basic of the word.
Already covered this here

A 21 year old is not a child.

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
A 21 year old is not a child.
Disclaimer: this discussion has basically nothing to do with Superhuman at this point so if you accidentally wandered into the Superhuman thread to actually talk about the game I apologize for the inconvenience.

I would say a biologist, a psychologist, a lawyer, and a sociologist might all define what a child is a little differently based on their knowledge and training. You seem to favor a biological point of view on this subject (linking the end of childhood to puberty) and are influenced by traditional thinking. I tend to favor more of a legal and cultural frame of reference and am more influenced by modern thought. Perhaps we'll never see things the same starting from such different vantage points.

Personally, it doesn't particularly trouble me to think of a 21 year old as a child -- in some cultural contexts, that might make sense. If you focused purely on brain development, you could argue true adulthood should begin at an even older age than that. The average 13 year old in a developed, democratic country has a life experience that is far more similar to a 9 year old than to a 30 year old. Both the 13 year old and the 9 year old can't vote, likely live with their parents or guardians, attend compulsory education (sometimes even...middle schools!), and aren't accepted as adults by their society. The situation won't change all that much in many cases even when they're 17.

Linking the end of childhood to puberty doesn't seem like a good idea to me, no matter how traditional it might be. For starters, puberty is a process that begins and ends at different times for different children. A situation where some 12 year olds are children and some are adolescents is simply confusing. That's likely why you want to say childhood ends at 12, but by doing so you are effectively conceding that the biological onset of puberty isn't really the end of childhood and that it's more of a cultural thing. I would agree with that, and that's why I think it makes more sense to have 18 be the true end of childhood given my particular social context. That's the point when a young person in my society will truly be able to begin to live as an adult and be accepted as such.

"Adolescent" and "child" don't have to be mutually exclusive terms any more than "toddler" and "child" do. I think of adolescence as the final stage of childhood just as "toddlerhood" is one of the earliest. Both are important transitional periods that non-adults go through. If non-adult is a less loaded term to you than child, I guess we could start using that instead.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Ella might have annihilated the fuck out of a group of non-adults?

4.80 star(s) 339 Votes