Mod Ren'Py SuperPowered: Radioactive [v0.45.03-RA12] [T.Geiger]

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

T.Geiger

Modder
Nov 29, 2017
Updated for SuperPowered 0.34.02!

Nothing new for the mod itself at the moment. I have spent the past couple months not doing much of anything at all. Hadn't even played one of these games until just last week.

However, with what I have figured out in the past couple of days, interesting things may lie ahead. The last major technological hurdles have fallen, and, theoretically, there is no piece of code that is safe from me. It is even possible that all of Radioactive could be written without changing one letter of the original source code, while becoming version resilient and potentially mod friendly.

That is not necessarily Radioactive's future though. Just because it can be done, does not mean it is the best choice. While extracting all of the code to external files would dramatically shorten and ease updates, it might be performance heavy.

Testing and potentially implementing this idea will be my next primary goal. I will probably work on other things as well, but this will be my focus. If it does prove feasible, it will probably become a long term project like the hint system. A large start, with pieces completed over time, leaving room to work on other ideas.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Updated for SuperPowered 0.34.02!

Nothing new for the mod itself at the moment. I have spent the past couple months not doing much of anything at all. Hadn't even played one of these games until just last week.

However, with what I have figured out in the past couple of days, interesting things may lie ahead. The last major technological hurdles have fallen, and, theoretically, there is no piece of code that is safe from me. It is even possible that all of Radioactive could be written without changing one letter of the original source code, while becoming version resilient and potentially mod friendly.

That is not necessarily Radioactive's future though. Just because it can be done, does not mean it is the best choice. While extracting all of the code to external files would dramatically shorten and ease updates, it might be performance heavy.

Testing and potentially implementing this idea will be my next primary goal. I will probably work on other things as well, but this will be my focus. If it does prove feasible, it will probably become a long term project like the hint system. A large start, with pieces completed over time, leaving room to work on other ideas.
I haven't looked at the code in your mod but the easiest method I found to convert to a format that doesn't have to touch the original game's files is to use label overrides.

There is also a relatively new feature that you can use to allow duplicate labels (and presumably specify which one wins conflicts) but I couldn't figure out how that worked.

In my case all I had to do was something like this for any event I needed to edit from the vanilla game:

mod_file.rpy

Code:
init python:
    config.label_overrides["original_event(x)"] = "mod_event(x)"
    # x = however many events from 1-n you need to edit from the vanilla game

label mod_event(x):
    #whatever I want
Now all of the conflicting vanilla events are replaced with my own version without touching the vanilla files and it's compatible with any version of the game that doesn't change something critical in those particular events.

Wistil

Sep 9, 2018
Possible conflict? Running GetLucky at 20x on master, class, and corrupt, (changing master changes other two, and yeah, I know I can change them independently), and I overslept after nightpatrol. Is it possible that Radioactive is overriding GetLucky? Or do I need to increase another part of GetLucky?

T.Geiger

Modder
Nov 29, 2017
label overrides
Yeah, but that will probably cause all labels to check whether they are overridden or not, which will be a performance penalty. (I have not actually looked into the internals of how it works, but that is the way it is described.) For something like a RenPy game, that may not be a big deal, but I cannot, as a professional programmer, abide such a solution when there are workable alternatives.

Most of Python allows a programmer to replace one thing with another, including functions. While RenPy's labels do not work quite the same way as Python functions, it does have a lookup table where you can accomplish the same goal.

I overslept after nightpatrol. Is it possible that Radioactive is overriding GetLucky?
Overslept uses a different mechanic. Billy now has a chance to not oversleep depending on his Willpower and Energy.

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Yeah, but that will probably cause all labels to check whether they are overridden or not, which will be a performance penalty. (I have not actually looked into the internals of how it works, but that is the way it is described.) For something like a RenPy game, that may not be a big deal, but I cannot, as a professional programmer, abide such a solution when there are workable alternatives.

Most of Python allows a programmer to replace one thing with another, including functions. While RenPy's labels do not work quite the same way as Python functions, it does have a lookup table where you can accomplish the same goal.
Yeah I imagine there is some sort of performance hit. It does get the job done though which is what I was after. The only thing noticeable to me when playtesting is that the first time the game runs after an update it takes a LONG time to load. After that first time I don't notice a difference. I'm not a programmer though. I know what little renpy code has been required by my mod so far but haven't had time to learn python yet. One of these days I'll find the time...

Anyway sounds like you have matters well in hand. I can't imagine playing Superpowered without Radioactive. I'm kind of holding out for the Institute to be expanded though, so other than a brief playthrough to update my walkthrough I haven't played much lately.

sperg

Aug 6, 2017
quick question how do i actually turn on the cheats now i installed the file in the game directory but there is no option to turn on cheats, do i still need to redownload the getlucky mod cause i thought that was abndoned and integrated with this mod, and the directions in the first post don't actually indicate how to use the cheats.

T.Geiger

Modder
Nov 29, 2017
there is no option to turn on cheats
If there is no cheat option in the Load/Save menu, then you have not installed the mod correctly. The fourth screenshot in the OP shows what the mod menus look like, though it should be hard to miss.

Silentheart42

May 10, 2019
I might be missing it, but had to restart my game due to an error I made. Any rate I had Gift of Gab. But now after restarting the game I don't see it. What do I need to activate it?

Reactions: ultorem13

Silentheart42

May 10, 2019
Using this mod how do I remove Billy's comments of "Gross" when referring to his Sister and Mom? I know there is a Console command I just can't seem to put it in correctly can someone please assist?

D

Deleted member 1200074

Using this mod how do I remove Billy's comments of "Gross" when referring to his Sister and Mom? I know there is a Console command I just can't seem to put it in correctly can someone please assist?
You have to pick up a certain power to not be disgusted by inc. It is a flaw that comes with a power.

Reactions: T.Geiger
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes