VN RPGM Completed Taboo Stories 1: Summer Vacation [v1.0] [PhantoMaster]

2.80 star(s) 9 Votes

Hermit76

Apr 15, 2018
Sweet and hot! :love:(y)
Yes, the contrast between text and backgound should be better. But it still was possible to read, at least for me.
I only whished to have a few more pictures for the epilogue. The one was nice, but a few few more (maybe two or three) that picture the following events - I don't want to spoiler - would have been nice.

Reactions: PhantoMaster

PhantoMaster

Jan 11, 2019
Mdaa, this community is kinda mean, but Hey, who am I to judge (except I spent time developing a game that isn't original enough for the incest genre, jeeezzz rofl).
Why RPG Maker? Because I know Javascript and fucking Javascript only, it's not worth it to deal with another game engine (I finished this game in about 40 hours, so...).
Slow text? use PageDown.
Too light background... which may be true, for me did not cause any inconvenience, but all people are different.
Here's a modified one for more contrast. Just copy and replace here: whereveryougamesfolderare\Taboo Stories\www\img\system
Window.png
How to save game??? Anyone help me, pls.
the game is saved at the end automatically, and in the scene before mom\sis selection.

P.S. Moderators: pls add also Itch.io store links in the future

UPD: Also thanks to all those who really supported me (and it's not just about money, lol), cause I have constant work and I create games in my spare time. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

SM-Tyr

May 10, 2017
text too slow far to slow with no option to speed up or skip. couldn't make it thought. Deleted for now hopefully skip added at the least.

Reactions: Pumpkin1984

Mytez

Engaged Member
Jul 28, 2017
This was surprinsingly good. Sweet and straight to the point, I wouldn't mind to see a longer one with the characters. Not much more to say, it was very enjoyable.

• Love

Bonhart

Dec 30, 2017
nice game, the only thing that disappointed me is that I was expecting many more animations for Chrissie, the sex scene on the beach with no animations made me feel bad :cry:

(Sorry my english)

• Love

Deleted member 900601

Sep 21, 2018
the game is saved at the end automatically, and in the scene before mom\sis selection.
You need to add more save points, basically the bulk of the game happens without saving, if I am half-way through the story after the selection and I want to save and quit, there is no option, I'll have to redo the whole story, this is a complete turn off for your game. Not only that, because of that choice, there is absolutely no replayability to your game. People aren't interested in holding down Z for 15 minutes to get to the good stuff on future play-through.

Pagedown isn't really a skip, it's barely faster than holding down Z.

Now don't take criticism as people being mean, you're doing mistakes that have been solved for ages, they're telling you about it. Either you heed the advice and learn from it, or call people mean and repeat the same mistakes.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Mdaa, this community is kinda mean, but Hey, who am I to judge (except I spent time developing a game that isn't original enough for the incest genre, jeeezzz rofl).
Why RPG Maker? Because I know Javascript and fucking Javascript only, it's not worth it to deal with another game engine (I finished this game in about 40 hours, so...).
Slow text? use PageDown.
Too light background... which may be true, for me did not cause any inconvenience, but all people are different.
Here's a modified one for more contrast. Just copy and replace here: whereveryougamesfolderare\Taboo Stories\www\img\system
View attachment 315644

UPD: Also thanks to all those who really supported me (and it's not just about money, lol), cause I have constant work and I create games in my spare time. I really appreciate it.

If you plan to do this (creating games), you might need to change the way you react to criticism.
People telling you everything is great aren't supporting you, they are just stroking your ego.
The feedback here on f95 might be rough at times, but at least it's honest.

Most of us here have played many games in this style and continue to do so, we know what makes playing them fun and what doesn't.
And I don't speak about content, I speak about functionality.
Of course, I get that it's annoying for you, if people complain about the text being too slow, when they were just pressing the wrong button, but normally you use either space or the left mouse button for that and some see no sense in trying out every possible button to see if that is included.
If you have functions tied to keys that are not regularly used for them, a short explanation at the beginning of your game would fix that.

I wonder, if you see another incest game with the same set-up you've seen for about 200 other games, do you say "wow, great! Another stereotypical incest game, fucking-A!"
Or maybe you are looking for a reason why you should play this one, instead of one of the many others?
That doesn't mean people won't appreciate your work, if it is good, if the sex is well written and the accompanying renders are good, just that many will also mention that it isn't very original. You seem to know that about your game yourself, so why get miffed when others mention it?

PixelRepublic

Donor
Jun 4, 2017
Slow text? use PageDown.
View attachment 315644

I agree with 95% of what botc76 said. For me, original or not, it's just nice to see a completed story. While there are many, many games out there like this, a good set of those are either drawn out or have been abandoned.

For me, the big issue with this game is that it's a VN, but not done with a VM engine. Lots of people hate RPGM, because it's not intuitive, easy to use or navigate. You can't expect users to guess that there is an uncommon key used to skip text. With the likes of Ren'py, people know how to use it, people can easily mod it, it has great save functionality, for those nice scenes you want to see again, without having to go through the entire story again.

There is no learning curve with the likes of Ren'py, whilst there almost always is with RPGM. Even games developed in the likes of Unity adapt the same kind of standards as Ren'py, because the developers know that if people don't have to learn a new system, they're more likely to play and enjoy it.

Play some of the games out there, this site is an amazing resource (also for learning engine's like Ren'py), the Latest Updates is something that can help. Look at the difference in popularity and support between Ren'py and RPGM games.

With so many developers moving their games away from RPGM and to Ren'py, it really confuses me as to why you picked it. If you know a programming language, you've already got a big head start over those that created great Ren'py games with no previous programming skills.

Regarding criticism....

You should always take it, no matter how harsh it might be at times. It's a tool you should be exploiting, you can learn from it, improve things, create better games, and get more support. I've been receiving both harsh and constructive criticism all my professional life, it can get you down at times, but you have to take it.

When people say they don't like something, you should listen. When you create something, you're creating it for those people, not yourself, what you like doesn't always matter. It's those people you're trying to win over whose opinions matter, they're the ones who will be supporting you... or not.

Anyway, rant over. :) Good luck with this and future projects. I really hope you stick with it and do well.

midx

Dec 27, 2017
maybe this is silly question but are the paths have different endings ? good game but i dont want to play two times

• Thinking Face

Mytez

Engaged Member
Jul 28, 2017
maybe this is silly question but are the paths have different endings ? good game but i dont want to play two times
No, you should play both first, it helps establish the characters.

Reactions: midx

morpheusahrms

Sep 11, 2017
Damn...this COULD have been a good little game. But too many little annoyances to make it enjoyable. Like the others said...(and I am not even dissing the choice of RPGM...if that is what the Dev can work with, thats what he should use. Better than buggy half assed Renpy even though I prefer the engine).
Text to slow, not easy to read, not enough options to save, random little bugs throwing you back. Sorry couldn't finish this. Too bad as the renders are nice enough. Needs a Quality of Life patch.

Reactions: botc76

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
After having played it (or at least tried to play it until I too got frustrated), here's my opinion.

Not bad for an attempt at using RPGM as a VN engine. It works well enough, with a few annoyances.
The text isn't appearing fast enough and the page down button doesn't work for that, it only skips to the next box instantly and only that just when the text is finished for now, but it doesn't make the text appear instantly and it doesn't allow skipping to the next "page" when it's one continuous text over several windows.

I sat here and had to wait and wait until the stupid text appeared a few words at a time and that took out all the fun of playing the game.

The renders look good, the writing is okay (a few words missing here or there, but nothing too bad), but for a dev like you who obviously HAS skills using RPGM, it should be easy to address problems like an option to let the whole text appear instantly and then simply use one key to skip to the next window and to also maybe include the option to open a save menu at any point with one button, as I know of several games using RPGM and achieving the same.

It is an achievement alone that you managed to finish the whole game and publish it in a working state and I'm not trying to take that away from you. If you removed the 1-2 little grievances you really have a nice little VN here, originality or not of the story withstanding.

I will refrain from posting a review to see if you address the little annoyances or not.

Reactions: stormpooper

Chowdog

Jun 19, 2018
Yea sorry dude, can't stand RPGM. Spent around 15 mins holding Enter to skip the text and it just took an eternity.

Not gonna bother with this one

Reactions: HansDampf788
Dec 18, 2018
no save file. Difficult to read due to white letters against light background. Game may be OK but almost impossible to play since you have to finish once you start.

2.80 star(s) 9 Votes