HMFAKK

Feb 22, 2018
I've always found such cases weird. Like, when you plan to have something done, say "by the end of July", and then it's mid way through August and it's still not done, how exactly did the person plan to have it done that early? One thing is for someone to miss a deadline like this by a few days, but half a month.....I'm not complaining or bashing him in any way, nor am I implying he's not doing his best. Just making an observation. Maybe something unexpected happened, who knows.

Eye-switcher

Jun 30, 2017
I've always found such cases weird. Like, when you plan to have something done, say "by the end of July", and then it's mid way through August and it's still not done, how exactly did the person plan to have it done that early? One thing is for someone to miss a deadline like this by a few days, but half a month.....I'm not complaining or bashing him in any way, nor am I implying he's not doing his best. Just making an observation. Maybe something unexpected happened, who knows.
No just the usual delays...
They said that chapter 11 was going to get released in August...yeah

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
Yeah, Mircom has his day job, and that is going to cause delays... which sucks. But I know when he delivers, he is going to deliver well.

LordofEntropy

Down with Delta-G
Donor
May 8, 2017
Yeah, Mircom has his day job, and that is going to cause delays... which sucks. But I know when he delivers, he is going to deliver well.
As someone that has worked in software for some 20 years now, estimates are a tricky thing. In particular, software developers (myself included) are notoriously bad at estimates and tend to underestimate the time that is going to be required to finish stuff. A common joke, that is actually not too far off from the truth(but a bit of hyperbole), is to take a developer's estimate, add 1 and increment the unit. So 2 hours becomes 3 days. 2 days becomes 3 weeks. 1 week becomes 2 months, etc. And this is for professional developers at their "real" day job. So for these games we find on F95 that are the hobbies and side gigs for people many of whom have little to no actual professional software development experience, the estimates are to be taken pretty lightly. Toss in some real life stuff, that perhaps for the normal day job would still have a lower priority, but for the hobby weekend project are going to be more important, deadlines are going to slip.

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
As someone that has worked in software for some 20 years now, estimates are a tricky thing. In particular, software developers (myself included) are notoriously bad at estimates and tend to underestimate the time that is going to be required to finish stuff. A common joke, that is actually not too far off from the truth(but a bit of hyperbole), is to take a developer's estimate, add 1 and increment the unit. So 2 hours becomes 3 days. 2 days becomes 3 weeks. 1 week becomes 2 months, etc. And this is for professional developers at their "real" day job. So for these games we find on F95 that are the hobbies and side gigs for people many of whom have little to no actual professional software development experience, the estimates are to be taken pretty lightly. Toss in some real life stuff, that perhaps for the normal day job would still have a lower priority, but for the hobby weekend project are going to be more important, deadlines are going to slip.
I hate having to do estimates. I always estimate too little, so I've learned to pad them. "It will take 2 weeks to do that". Then when it really takes me 1, I've got an extra week to polish and work on stuff that's important, but not important enough to schedule.

Then there's the hyperbole from the end of the project - the first 80% takes 80% of the time. The last 20% takes 80% of the time.

Reactions: MelodicAdvantage
3.90 star(s) 123 Votes