legendppk

Aug 25, 2018
...really? None of it is required. Do you look at tags for games and assume every one of them is necessary for progression? If so I imagine you're missing out on a fuckload of things.
Short answer is Yes.

Unfortunately, that's how the tag system was designed, intended, and how it works. The tag system exists so people can filter out content they don't want to deal with or filter to content that they want. It also serves as a brief summary of available content in the game. You're blaming the person but your problem is with the system.

If devs don't want to lose potential players, they need to make it obvious that certain content is optional and is locked behind certain choices. I've play far too many games here where unwanted content is forced into the gameplay regardless of player choice. The problem isn't that I missed a fuckload of content, it is that I didn't miss enough of the unwanted content.

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020
Short answer is Yes.

Unfortunately, that's how the tag system was designed, intended, and how it works. The tag system exists so people can filter out content they don't want to deal with or filter to content that they want. It also serves as a brief summary of available content in the game. You're blaming the person but your problem is with the system.

If devs don't want to lose potential players, they need to make it obvious that certain content is optional and is locked behind certain choices. I've play far too many games here where unwanted content is forced into the gameplay regardless of player choice. The problem isn't that I missed a fuckload of content, it is that I didn't miss enough of the unwanted content.
I hope to design this game so that as much of the content as possible is optional.

Reactions: legendppk

legendppk

Aug 25, 2018
Which character were you interested in?

You will eventually be able to kill almost every main character in all probability lol
It was very satisfying killing Azreal. Would be cool to necromancer raise him later to become a minion.

And I wanted to bend Margerie over make her into my breeding bitch and then have her present the baby to her prestigious family. After that, make her mom my bitch too. Conquest complete. Oyakodon is delicious.

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020
You can also make some routes circle back to the main route so you dont have to create separate routes for each decision.
Yeah, a lot of the game is going to be designed this way. Some variable will change based on your choice which will affect the content of future passages, but it will be the same passage instead of just being diverted to completely different passages. That second approach would be unwieldy.

Elli Wölfin

Dec 8, 2019
Short answer is Yes.

That's fair. I guess I'm fairly open to a lot (excluding male protagonists and straight female ones) so it generally doesn't bother me. Now that I think of it I have a few tags I refuse to play a game with (based on the summary/dev notes as well) so I can understand.
Sorry for being kinda rude :)

Reactions: legendppk

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
-Changed the title for clarity
Wait, wait. Now it's even less clear. Possibly from something being misspoken somewhere. (I actually still haven't gotten around to actually playing yet, but that means I'm probably a better reference point of what someone's going to see from coming into this thread for the first time.) So did you just change the title of the "demo" to "The Monastery" while the "main game" is "The Archmage"? The beginning of the developer's notes seems to suggest that, but then the next part opens with...

The Monastery picks up after the introduction where The Archmage left off.
Does that mean The Archmage is a prequel to The Monastery? Or did you mean to say it the other way around? Whatever the heck is going on here, you need to note *somewhere* that "The Monastery is the SFW prequel/demo of The Archmage" or whatever the most correct version of that statement is, because it's not clear in the first post now in the slightest. I felt like I had a much better understanding of the situation when I saw "Demo" and "Main Game" instead of "The Archmage" and "The Monastery".

Necrosian

Jul 26, 2017
Does that mean The Archmage is a prequel to The Monastery? Or did you mean to say it the other way around? Whatever the heck is going on here, you need to note *somewhere* that "The Monastery is the SFW prequel/demo of The Archmage" or whatever the most correct version of that statement is, because it's not clear in the first post now in the slightest. I felt like I had a much better understanding of the situation when I saw "Demo" and "Main Game" instead of "The Archmage" and "The Monastery".
From what i understand they will be merged when bugs and content is dealt with.

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020
Wait, wait. Now it's even less clear. Possibly from something being misspoken somewhere. (I actually still haven't gotten around to actually playing yet, but that means I'm probably a better reference point of what someone's going to see from coming into this thread for the first time.) So did you just change the title of the "demo" to "The Monastery" while the "main game" is "The Archmage"? The beginning of the developer's notes seems to suggest that, but then the next part opens with...

The current content of The Archmage concludes with the player arriving at The Monastery. I'm using the demo to develop that location. It was previously marked SFW in the download link, now it is marked Demo SFW for clarity.

From what i understand they will be merged when bugs and content is dealt with.
This is correct. It is not a prequel, but rather an isolated portion of the main game which will be integrated upon completion.

3.20 star(s) 5 Votes