Eucanuba

May 22, 2017
1366x768 res is broken. Text wraps all over the place or disappears off screen to the side or below. In deck manager you only see two columns of cards since the third one is outside the screen poking in with its Minus symbol. Also nothing happens when I click Maximized window.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ariyana

May 13, 2018
I played for probably 20 minutes and there's a couple things that really stopped me from enjoying it

The tank girls are tedious as hell. If they only had 10 defense from their ally protection I feel like they would be better, but as it is now they make it impossible to deal damage without taking damage in return

Also, I chose quick jab as my reward from 3 different fights and never got one added to my deck

Last thing is just a little quality of life, it'd be nice to be able to just click on the room to move there instead of the WASD in the corner.
Read the tutorials that pop up on your screen, next time. The game flat out tells you that you need to add cards to your deck with the Deck Builder.

Squidbit

Jan 2, 2019
Read the tutorials that pop up on your screen, next time. The game flat out tells you that you need to add cards to your deck with the Deck Builder.
I'll accept that that's my fault, I even just went through again to see that tutorial specifically because I do remember seeing it the first time and you're right

The first time I went through, though, I was tired of all the tutorials because up until that point the game is exactly the same as every other game in the genre, so I assumed the deck worked the same as every other game in the genre and didn't care to open my deck to see the new card

Dec 9, 2018
Personally not much of a roguelike fan. But this one got a nice base of gameplay to build on and scenes as well.
And not to forget the merchant in the Dungeon.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

TeckXChaos

Feb 15, 2018
Great Slay the Spire-esque game. Simultaneously you're given really powerful cards and enemies that can land hits on you even if you roll out a perfect hand, which feels weird if you've played a lot of StS and you're used to perfectly being able to counter every enemy group. It gives the feeling that your deck isn't keeping pace and you're losing even if you've cleared the entire dungeon with more than half your health remaining.

Scenes are good and aren't gated in weird ways. Best of luck with the game!

Corvus27

Feb 21, 2018
I hope there ends up being transformation elements, cause it looks fucking amazing.
I'll probably play it when it gets a bit more complete, but it already looks great.

Ben the Beholder

Game Developer
May 28, 2022
Interesting idea. The art is nice, but in my opinion, it lacks smooth animations. Thoughts on gameplay: I would like to find chests with healing potions, as well as other interesting items.

Doggo Bow Wow

Jun 3, 2017
Did finish the level one, quite enjoyed it. Felt a lot like "Last Evil" which isn't a bad thing because I liked that game a lot. Abusing draw and quick strike felt really strong. Didn't really feel a reason to go for the attacks that cost mana, perhaps those could get buffed instead of neutering quick strike as a mean to pave the way for more challenging enemies. Ignite/Bleed is 100% too weak. You're trading off a bit of damage now to deal close to no damage later. And either I'm just daft or there weren't really any ways to heal back up, which felt a bit harsh. I do understand that the game is in very early stages, just hoped to chime in a little bit with how I felt about it, and I will definitely look forwards to updates.

Reactions: Suncatcher42

jg2142

Jun 5, 2017
That was really good, but I agree the 10 card limit makes Draw too powerful and 2 action cards too weak. The most effective strategy is to have 4 or 5 draw and 5 or 6 0 action knives. You can either completely withstand any assault or blitz an entire room down no problem. Maybe this is better when you have more actions per turn because of trinkets, but for now this is easily the best thing you can do.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I like the sprite work, but I feel like it's hard to comment on the current gameplay. It still seems very, very new. Like there's too many things that could improve the game in the short term that won't translate well into the long term. Just having more cards, enemy types, and events could easily shift the difficulty one way or another, depending on how powerful the effects they have. I will say, however, that the player's HP might be a little too high off the bat. It's high enough that you're unlikely to lose to anything while at full health, but having your health gradually chipped away by fights heavily in the enemy's favor (to seemingly offset said large health) doesn't seem fun. I rather lose because of a mistake on my part than lose because 10 rounds of being absolutely swarmed eventually dropped my resolve to 0. Victory and defeat alike should feel deserved.

As a minor suggestion, I wish we had a skip scene button alongside fast forwarding text. Sometimes I just want to jump back into the game rather than wait for the skip function to get to the last line of text. It's all the more important if replayability is a key feature.

Reactions: X_Machina

Suncatcher42

Aug 12, 2019
Gotta say I'm loving this so far. Card and enemy count are both low, but that's to be expected in a 0.1.5 version, there are multiple viable deckbuilding strategies (though a significant number of Dodge cards seems to be vital, since there's no healing option and the other defenses are either inferior or unreliable), and everything that is there seems very polished. I especially like how "surrender" is sometimes the correct option and even a winning fight sometimes gets punished; it makes the player pay more attention and think about things instead of just mindlessly cutting through everything.

I might suggest making it clearer when an event has increased corruption or changed resolve, since I had to keep looking at the bars and trying to remember where they used to be... A way to change text speed would also be appreciated, since even the skip function has to wait for every line to display before it can proceed. It would also be nice if there was a tooltip explaining the 'single use' cards; it's easy to figure out with experimentation, but the first time through I was worried the whole card would go away instead of being once per battle.

Just checking if I've missed anything, are there any special scenes to losing to combinations of enemy types, or does one of the special units always take priority? And is there a defeat scene for the ordinary slimegirls? I'm not sure if I've ever seen them without a special unit leader...

Looking forward to future updates!

Suncatcher42

Aug 12, 2019
I will say, however, that the player's HP might be a little too high off the bat. It's high enough that you're unlikely to lose to anything while at full health, but having your health gradually chipped away by fights heavily in the enemy's favor (to seemingly offset said large health) doesn't seem fun. I rather lose because of a mistake on my part than lose because 10 rounds of being absolutely swarmed eventually dropped my resolve to 0. Victory and defeat alike should feel deserved.
I would argue that's sort of a core part of the roguelike genre. The protagonist can usually win any single battle easily, unless it's a boss or you're seriously outlevelled, but you need to carefully manage your resources in order to last to the end of a level, so the challenge of a typical combat is not how to win this fight but how to get further and gather more resources without taking any unnecessary damage.

Ignite/Bleed is 100% too weak. You're trading off a bit of damage now to deal close to no damage later.
A single point of fire is almost worthless, but stacking multiple spells with burn effects is extremely powerful. Like, if you just hit them with burn 2, they take 2 next round and 1 the round after, for a total of 3. If you stack that to burn 4, they take 4+3+2+1 or 10 damage. Burn 10 means they take 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 or a total of 55. If you have a single Ignite card in your deck, you're putting out 5 burn every two turns so for example against the floor boss you could spend 5/6 of your energy on the minions and still do massive damage to the Guardian behind them for a single energy point every other round. 5+4+8+7+12+11+15+14+18+17+21... her 120HP melts away in eleven rounds without you even paying attention to her. Fill your deck with nothing but Ignite and focus them on a single target, and your victim takes 15 on the first round, 29 on the second, 43 on the third...
A single flame tongue in amongst your sword techniques is definitely less valuable than the other 1 point attacks you could be using, but a full up pyromancy deck is ridiculously deadly.
Quick strike on the other hand adds a little bit to any deck, but can't really constitute your primary source of damage unless you have a lot of potency or your deck is nothing but quick strikes and draw 3s. When I tried to do a dodge/quick strike combo for example I was getting 18 defense and 18 damage every turn, sure, but that wasn't enough burst damage to reliably deal with mages before they can buff every enemy into the sky or snipers before they could break through my defense anyway, leading to a lot of damage suffered in any fight that had multiple special targets. So it's good, but not overwhelming.

Really the only cards I didn't find much use for were the 2 energy for 14 defense (not reliable enough to rely on) and the draw 3 (energy limits hit before hand size limits, unless your deck is almost entirely quick strikes with no defenses to speak of)... though now that I think about it those might make a good combination; enough of the heavy defenses that you can usually find one to give a steady 14 defense, spend your other energy point on a draw 3, and hit with up to five quick strikes every round?

Yeah overall I'm really impressed with the card balance so far, especially for a game this early in development.

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I would argue that's sort of a core part of the roguelike genre. The protagonist can usually win any single battle easily, unless it's a boss or you're seriously outlevelled, but you need to carefully manage your resources in order to last to the end of a level, so the challenge of a typical combat is not how to win this fight but how to get further and gather more resources without taking any unnecessary damage.
I don't think you read my post right. I literally said the player has too much health. You're basically never in danger of losing because enemies would collectively have to do 500+ damage to you for you to lose, since corruption seems to only go up by 20 every time you come back. But the flip side of that is that the enemies aren't really doing anything clever to damage you either. The only reason you're losing HP at all is because you have to fight 4 enemies 80% of the time, and you usually stop bleeding HP once one of them dies. You're not really getting the roguelike experience of managing resources and making calculated risks, which was the point I was trying to make. I don't know how you interpreted it to mean I don't understand the roguelike experience. Playing an HP sponge that smushes everything and isn't in danger of losing isn't something I'd consider very roguelike-y.

aaa666

Sep 10, 2020
Not sure what info would be helpfull - I click on the BuiltGame.Exe and despite the loading (the box unity load) starting, it crashes somewhere in 2/3

3.70 star(s) 6 Votes