frogbert

Oct 15, 2018
1 you're not forced to brainwash women into sleeping with you
2 you're not forced to turn innocent people into blood dolls
3 and in the last update I played you're not forced to take a smart young girl and turned her into a fucking child mentally
None of those things happened in Rebirth either :unsure:

Drafox

Jul 27, 2017
I don't believe this is the right thread to discuss this kind of topic
In Rebirth you could brainwash the female cop and have sex with her, turn the vampire hunter into a blood doll and offer your best friend/thrall as a feeding gift to your sire and also lobotomize the cave scientist..

And these are the things that made me love that game intially, not because I'm a sadist bastard but due to the fact that in dark fantasy, you need to have these elements and paths available to you as a player, even if you don't pursue them or maybe you just want test out those possibilites to see how things would turn out if you were an evil spawn from hell.

When the dev of The Bite Revenant said that our MC isn't that type of a person..It kind of bothered me because it meant our choices will never affect his morality, and we're stuck with a white knight forever. But it is his vision and his game we're nothing but beggars in this situation therefore we can't choose anything.

Last edited:

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
I finished the update and I didn't have a problem with the Emilia thing. She felt him trying to use his power again(my assumption), she killed him flat out. The first time surprised her because like the other vampires, she assumed that their command powers don't work on each other. Now that she knows that he can with his power, she didn't let it happen.

All that said, the scene was kind of hot, in a weird way. I'm totally blinded by my lust for her. Ever since I saw Emilia, I've had the hots for her. If we can pursue a "relationship" with her, I'm down for it.

Sep 3, 2020
In Rebirth you could brainwash the female cop and have sex with her, turn the vampire hunter into a blood doll and offer your best friend/thrall as a feeding gift to your sire and also lobotomize the cave scientist..

And these are the things that made me love that game intially, not because I'm a sadist bastard but due to the fact that in dark fantasy, you need to have these elements and paths available to you as a player, even if you don't pursue them or maybe you just want test out those possibilites to see how things would turn out if you were an evil spawn from hell.

When the dev of The Bite Revenant said that our MC isn't that type of a person..It kind of bothered me because it meant our choices will never affect his morality, and we're stuck with a white knight forever. But it is his vision and his game we're nothing but beggars in this situation therefore we can't choose anything.
I was not trying to go off-topic

I was just trying to express how much I love this game more than the other one if my comment is going to cause a problem I will gladly delete it and apologize

this Developer is like a brother to me and I do not mean to cause him any trouble intentionally

Reactions: Drafox

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017

Morality in Rebirth isn't handled very well imo, because it's never laid out as a dilemma and the PC is always devoid of emotions. What's the point in acting either good or bad, when none of the characters ever bat an eye? Not to mention that enthralling the two women so far wasn't dependent on player's choice.
The Bite still has the chance to do better, because, even if the PC is more of a "white knight", this can still be a source for tension and drama. For example getting involved with the nerdy girl can go very wrong for her in the future. Rebirth would handle this as "it is what it is", but The Bite actually gave us the choice to push her away for her own safety.

frogbert

Oct 15, 2018
You're right but last post about this just to set the record straight:
1. You are not forced into any of the sex scenes. There are also negative repercussions for taking advantage of the cop (soul stain)
2. Carmen is never turned into a blood doll, and is not innocent in any case (she tried to kill you with an axe). A blood doll is a human that has been trained or mind controlled to be happy to serve as feeding stock. Carmen is anything but that.
3. Sharon is the one who screws with Ivy's head, the MC actually tells her to stop. Thralling someone does not "turn someone into a child mentally" or Laurie and Andrew would be also.

Anam0rf

Aug 29, 2021
Just a few hours in - loving game so far. Lots of world building. Decent writing, not boring nor too fancy. Interesting plot and characters feel realistic. Exactly what i was looking for in a vampire vn.

Reactions: aragh
Sep 3, 2020
Morality in Rebirth isn't handled very well imo, because it's never laid out as a dilemma and the PC is always devoid of emotions. What's the point in acting either good or bad, when none of the characters ever bat an eye? Not to mention that enthralling the two women so far wasn't dependent on player's choice.
The Bite still has the chance to do better, because, even if the PC is more of a "white knight", this can still be a source for tension and drama. For example getting involved with the nerdy girl can go very wrong for her in the future. Rebirth would handle this as "it is what it is", but The Bite actually gave us the choice to push her away for her own safety.
personally I love this game gives you the option to play a good vampire

Darkmetal

Jul 6, 2019
personally I love this game gives you the option to play a good vampire
It's good that you like the game, I do too, but does it really provide this option to be good or are we just going along with the default setting?

If we find a wallet on the street with $100 in it, whether we turn it in (or not) is a choice.

OTOH, if we find a wallet with $10 in it with a note that says "if this wallet is lost, please call xxyyxx. $1,000 reward" and we turn it in, this does not say anything about our morality either way.

$10 = occasional doses of blood (that one can get from the hospital dude anyway) at the cost of possibly tanking our relationship with Zoey in the process and certainly tanking the relationship with the blond apartment owner (there is a negative repercussion if we try to use our power with her, so her path is pretty clear)
$1000 = full fledged romance with the Redhead, Zoey, the blond apartment owner

This is not opting between good or evil, this is us opting to go with the content/reward rather than without.

... ...
Just to be clear, I have no problem with event triggers that some others are complaining about. This is true of any story based RPG, even $100m ones, let alone a one man VN. e.g. In KoTOR you don't have any choice about leaving Taris, you have no choice but to look for the Star Maps, you have no choice about boarding the Leviathan, and much like the loss to Emelia in this game, you take a loss against Malak resulting in Bastila getting captured no matter what you do or how good a player you are. Mandatory story events are required for a coherent game plot.
... ...

Shaping a protagonist's character (as opposed to the plot) is another matter, and for me, very important.

IMO Drafox put it rather well.
due to the fact that in dark fantasy, you need to have these elements and paths available to you as a player, even if you don't pursue them or maybe you just want test out those possibilites ...

When the dev of The Bite Revenant said that our MC isn't that type of a person..It kind of bothered me because it meant our choices will never affect his morality,
Angel (Buffy verse) would be a completely forgettable character if he'd just always been a good vampire from day 1 of being turned "because he was a good guy type." He is a far better protagonist with Angelus just beneath the surface.

Reactions: Drafox and Tumai

hatefuldisplay

May 22, 2020
This game is great so far. I'm not sure how I missed it to this point. I love the old Vampire the Masquerade aspect to it, but would not mind more clans being included. Still, two clans along with some unaffiliated gives plenty of room for chaos and intrigue.

I like a lot of the female characters so far, but find I am more drawn to Hanna von Rauss and Runah so far with Emilia in a close third. What can I say? Maybe I have a thing for powerful women? I know the only Hannah scene has her as a cunt, but the model used is very appealing to me.

With Claire, I'm left wondering if she will become a partner for Alys at some point in the future.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next update.

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
This game is great so far. I'm not sure how I missed it to this point. I love the old Vampire the Masquerade aspect to it, but would not mind more clans being included. Still, two clans along with some unaffiliated gives plenty of room for chaos and intrigue.

I like a lot of the female characters so far, but find I am more drawn to Hanna von Rauss and Runah so far with Emilia in a close third. What can I say? Maybe I have a thing for powerful women? I know the only Hannah scene has her as a cunt, but the model used is very appealing to me.

With Claire, I'm left wondering if she will become a partner for Alys at some point in the future.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next update.
My preferences till now
Cafe girl (sorry, forgot her name)
Zoey (close 2nd)
Doctor crazy
Emilia
+

Reactions: hatefuldisplay

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
I am not keen on playing/reading a vn where I can not customize the name of the main character!
The creator of this project seems very keen on not allowing us to do so: It is not a feature of the vn itself, nor is it possible to change it with the 0x52 universal renpy mod...
I might come back to this when we are able to do so, but for now I guess I will abandon ship.

Sep 3, 2020
I am not keen on playing/reading a vn where I can not customize the name of the main character!
The creator of this project seems very keen on not allowing us to do so: It is not a feature of the vn itself, nor is it possible to change it with the 0x52 universal renpy mod...
I might come back to this when we are able to do so, but for now I guess I will abandon ship.
I'm just letting you know that you can change the main character's name as The Story Goes On

just not at the very beginning

does a part of the story where you have to make a new identity after becoming a vampire

and that's when you can put in your name

Reactions: hatefuldisplay

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
I'm just letting you know that you can change the main character's name as The Story Goes On

just not at the very beginning

does a part of the story where you have to make a new identity after becoming a vampire

and that's when you can put in your name
I did skip ahead a bit before posting here, without seing anything like that.
Perhaps the creator(s) of the vn should consider two namechanges instead of just for the alternative identity?
That way people would be able to immerse themselves better in the role of the main character from the get go rather than in the middle of the vn!
Mighty kind of you to provide information though, thanks for that.

Last edited:

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Mar 30, 2019
I am happy to tell you that in mod version you can customise your name from the start.

madmate.games

Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
what ethnicity is Claire supposed to be ? red hair, blue eyes, european features but really dark skin. I'm not saying that its an impossible combination but yeaaa...
I actually completely missed that her skin tone is on the dark side. After reading your reply I actually went back through scenes to check it for myself. :D
Hi, I just installed the game and applied the walkthrough mod. I got an exception at the beginning of the game right as you take home the blonde woman from the bar. Did anyone else get this exception?

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'images/story/mc_intro/0101endframe.jpg'>:
IOError: Couldn't find file 'images/story/mc_intro/0101endframe.jpg'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 25, in script call
  File "Scripts/Scenes/mc_intro.rpyc", line 67, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 715, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 1417, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 1219, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, dtt=dtt, **display_args)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 871, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 621, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3213, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3729, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2466, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 492, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 263, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 783, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 170, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "renpy/display/transform.py", line 706, in render
    return transform_render(self, width, height, st, at)
  File "accelerator.pyx", line 140, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
  File "renpy/display/image.py", line 501, in render
    return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/image.py", line 307, in wrap_render
    rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/video.py", line 395, in render
    surf = renpy.display.render.render(self.image, width, height, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 607, in render
    return cache.get(self, render=True)
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 271, in get
    surf = image.load()
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 688, in load
    raise e
IOError: Couldn't find file 'images/story/mc_intro/0101endframe.jpg'.

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.5.1648
The Bite Revenant
Thu May  5 01:06:14 2022
Fixed in v0.52
Well, I guess this means that a harem of sex thralls is off the table then. Dang it, there goes my Plan A for the yoga students down the bin! :HideThePain::LOL:

On a more serious note, hardcoding the MC's morality instead of making it a player choice seems a bit "iffy" to me. There are certain genres, IMO, where a full dark play through option is almost a must - Mafia/Gangster games (imagine GTA where you can only be a good guy) or a Star Wars RPG where you can't go darkside/Sith - and a vampire game is certainly one of them. It also caps potential character arcs. e.g. If Emilia becomes a LI and the MC can only be "goodish," this forces a redemption arc on Emilia (boriiiiing), whereas, IMO, going full on debauched Bonnie and Clyde with her would be a hella lot more fun.

Having said that, this is the Dev's story and he should write only what he wants to write in the way he wants to write it. The key word being want though (as opposed to wariness of rules) .............but you know, madmate.games , that Patreon goal you wrote as a joke (using the money on hookers and blow) rather than a boring extra render station or some such is in actuality not a bad idea at all. Honest. Totally not trying to lure you to the dark side or anything. :whistle:
You inconveniently left out some parts of what I said. Here's the full quote:
No rape in this game. I planned to eventually explain how MC doesn't find that kind of use of his powers or stature appealing, but I think I may have to somehow shoehorn it to be earlier in the game.
EDIT: Sorry, re-reading I see you were asking for it to be more saucy, and I was quite blunt in my reply jumping on the rape word.
I guess my wording could've been better, but what you quoted was referring to first sentence.

Éama

Apr 17, 2022
The way I see it, the MC in Rebirth is simply more part of the vampire than the human realm. He hardly has any encounters outside the vampire realm and thus he seems detached from the human world. In The Bite you feel more strongly that the MC was recently human. He still has the old habits and has scores to settle from his old life. This makes him feel more complex as a person and not like a blank sheet. But I would not say that there is no moral compass there. The social constraints of being a vampire in Rebirth are just so overwhelming that there is no time to reflect on any moral implications, he is basically stumbling from one disaster to the next. Andy has much more opportunity to choose his own path and reflect on it.

4.50 star(s) 69 Votes