VN Ren'Py The Cabin - Summer Vacation - Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 03/06/2020

I've been thinking a lot recently about the game and just when it'll be released and the more I work on it the more I feel like it'll just never get released.

My idea was to release in episodes rather than versions, version tend to go all over the show, v0.1, v0.1.1, v0.1.2.3 and it just hurts my head, with episodes it's easier, you know where you stand, episode 1, episode 2 and so on. That might just be me being a little moaning bitch but yeah :p

Anyway, as you know, I have the renders for episode 1 finished ( just need to render them ) and I have the script finished for episode 1, 2, 3 and a little of 4.

Each episode seems to be on the long side though, episode 1 has around 650 CG's and I notice that most game release only have like 100/200 CG's per release. Now I wanted to keep every CG in this release as the story fits with it, but rendering all 650 CG's is proving tough, I'm like 4 days into rendering and I've only managed to render around 30 CG's so at this rate it'll probably take me 2-3 months just to render episode 1.

That's when it hit me, I know episode 1 is 650 CG's ( as I just counted ) and I know episode 2 & 3 will be a little smaller than 1 as I've done the script for it. But...I've done the outline script for episode 4 so I know what'll be happening in each scene and from the outline alone, I feel it's going to be way bigger than episode 1, to give you a little idea of how big it'll be, episode 1 consists of 650 CG's within a 7 scene episode, so episode 1 only has 7 scenes and it's using 650 CG's, but episode 4 had 20 scenes...so I can only imagine how many CG's that'll be :p and it's not like there small scenes, they pretty big.

Anyway, while washing my bald head in the bath moments ago, I pondered something. What if, rather than releasing episode 1 as a whole, taking 3-4 months to do it, why don't I release it in chapters? like in a book, consider episode 1 to be the whole book and the chapters would break it down making releases quicker and my workload more manageable. Rather than waiting 3-4 months for each episode, you'd simply have to wait a month for each chapter, I mean shit, I may even be able to get 1-2 chapters a month out.

Each chapter would consist of between 100 to 200 CG's and god knows how many lines of code ( I normally do 4-6 sentences for each CG ).

I think this might work out better in the long run, I'll test it out with episode 1, if people don't like it I'll hold a poll on my patreon and we can go back to just releasing in episodes.

Sorry for the long windedness of this as well :p but it would mean instead of waiting till...jeez, gone October? for a release, you'd be getting one in July.

E1S121.png
She finished her drink :p

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
It is a good idea to pace your releases so that you don't end up dropping a smaller release than usual one time, people can be whiny, so breaking down an episode into chapters is fine. Try to make each release as close to each other in size as you can. The first release and the final release can be bigger and most people won't bat an eye, but be aware of expectations that the first chapter will inevitably set and try to get in front of them with release notes etc.
If you're cutting up what you already have, just make sure you try to find good jumping-off points like real chapters in books so a release doesn't just randomly end in the middle of something. Cliffhangers are fine and probably preferred over a release coming to an end just after a mundane conversation or something.

Reactions: Abhai

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
It is a good idea to pace your releases so that you don't end up dropping a smaller release than usual one time, people can be whiny, so breaking down an episode into chapters is fine. Try to make each release as close to each other in size as you can. The first release and the final release can be bigger and most people won't bat an eye, but be aware of expectations that the first chapter will inevitably set and try to get in front of them with release notes etc.
If you're cutting up what you already have, just make sure you try to find good jumping-off points like real chapters in books so a release doesn't just randomly end in the middle of something. Cliffhangers are fine and probably preferred over a release coming to an end just after a mundane conversation or something.
Good notes, I probably will make the 1st release a little larger just because I want people to actually get to the cabin before the end of the first chapter and I think I've found a good cut off point for each release. I don't think there will be massive cliffhangers in the chapters but there will be some for the episode end, I'm thinking of doing 3-4 chapters per episode and each episode end will have some form of dramatic ending.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
E1S187.png

Just wanted to jump on to let everyone know I'm still working on the game, granted the pace isn't as fast as I'd like it to be but still, work continues :p

Still working on WTHI and that's taking up more time than I thought it would, been trying to sneak bits of work for the game in during my off time from WTHI but it really doesn't leave me as much time as I'd like. Manage to get a good bit of work done today and yesterday though so that's good.

Really just an update to let you know I'm here :p

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 29-07-2020

It's been a while since my last development update but I wanted to let everyone know of a few changes that'll be happeneing. I've been working a lot on WTHI recently and managed to get this months work about 70% finished but can't really continue until I get the boss mans appoval on some things so while I'm waiting on that I figured I could use this time to catch up on some renders.

While rendering and browsing the F95 forum I noticed when I first started this development thread, 30th November 2019...that's like 10 months ago...what the fuck have I been doing? granted, I did take a job for WTHI and that took up a massive chunk of my time, but I feel like I've let this game go to much. Working for WTHI is amazing and I love it, the team over there is fantastic and great to work with, but I've let this game slip to much.

I really need to start switching my focus more and get into a lot more development of The Cabin, the story is something I'm passionate about and want to get told. Which is why I need to put more time into it. I currently work from home, about 10-12 hours a day is either spent on WTHI or on just watching youtube if I'm being honest, I don't render during the night which is something I need to start doing if I want to get the game done!

My plan was to split episode 1 into different chapters to get the game out faster but if I'm being honest, looking back and looking at the game I don't think that's something I want to do, it'll take focus away from the story and I don't want people getting lost, so I'll stick with my original plan to do episode 1 as a single episode. I have the script written out for 3 and a half episodes so once episode 1 is out I'll be good to go to start on the 2nd release without any delayes, same for episode 3.

I also feel like I owe everyone an apology for the delay, I swear I'm focused and dedicated to the game, a lot more now than I was before!

E1S198.png
I'll leave you with this and say...stay tuned :p

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Anything new?
I'm still working on it but it's very slow going, I've been getting very tied up with WTHI and that's takeing up a massive amount of my time, I've been trying to split up my time a little, work on WTHI during the day and render The Cabin at night, or work on WTHI during the week and The Cabin at weekends, but with certain things happening over at WTHI that I can't really go into, it's causing that to take up a vast amount of the time.

I am still working though, that's the main point, if it takes a day, a week, a month or a lifetime, this story will get told!

The goodish news is, some stuff is changeing over at WTHI which should free up my time, I normally work 7 days a week on that game but I think I might start takeing Sunday off and use that for rendering The Cabin, it's not much but it'll at least keep things moveing along.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 31-08-2020

It's been a long ass year, almost a full year working on the game off and on, time sure does fly and I wish I could blame it on WTHI but honestly I'm loving working on it to much, which over time has put The Cabin further and further onto the back burner.

I don't want to say the game is dead, I've put a shit ton of time into this game, over 100 renders done, over 500 renders ready for rendering and 4 episodes worth of script written and there is no way I'm just going to throw all that away.

It is however with a heavy heart that I do need to say, production of The Cabin is official paused! I thought I could spent my weekends on the game but I have to much work to do with WTHI now that Red has left and I don't want to misslead people into thinking production is still underway when fact of the matter is, there is no/minimal work being done.

I do however still want the story to be told, so one day I will return to it and I will finish the project, but that day is not today...probably not going to be tomorrow either :p

I did have the idea of turning the game into a comic series, that would get the story out and the game was never really going to be a game with options anyway, it was more of a visual novel than a game to be honest, but I'm not sure if I'm set on turning it into a comic series.

I do want to work on some comics though, in the little spare time I have, but for now I'm not sure.

Anyway that was a patron for the Early Access stuff will still get that when the game is eventually released, I do plan on doing the game one day!

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
As Abhail said, game is on hold, I will release it one day. I have Ep1 pretty much ready to go, but don't want to release is as it means you'll be waiting ages for Ep2 and that'll just tarnish my name.

Work on WTHI has been very very time consuming over the past couple months, was working throughout the day and night trying to get Ep18 out but we finally finished it!

So now that we're on Ep19 I do have more spare time, not a shit ton but a little bit so I'm going to use this spare time to focus on getting some comics made. I was thinking about turning The Cabin into a comic series but I've changed my mind on that, the story would be to long for a comic series.

So hopefully will be putting some comics out sometime soon :D

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Development Update - 05-11-2020

It's been a while people but I'm back with news!

I recently stated that as I'm working on WTHI, which doesn't leave me much time for this game, I was going to go back to my roots which was comics/stills. I did a few but realised, the still were easy but coming up with the story for comics was pretty hard, pretty much everything has already been done and I'd just be telling old stories. I'll share a couple of stills I did below as well :p

Anyway, I've found myself with a little more free-time than I thought I'd have with the current release of WTHI so I've decided to go back to working on the game ( mainly the story ) but I've also decided that I want to give it a total re-haul, new character designs, new scenes, new lighting, new everything. I've learnt a lot from working on WTHI and I was to implement those changes into The Cabin. Of course, no changes will final without first going through an extensive polling and voting system to make sure you guys are happy with the changes.

One big change I was planning on doing was changing Aunt from being the Aunt and making her an older Grandma character instead ( Mom's mom basically ), you don't see a lot of grandma's in games so I figured...why not? I then changed my mind though, I don't want to lose the Aunt story arc so instead will keep it the same, but also have Grandma living in the cabin with Aunt. This does mean I'll either need to find a new 3-bed cabin asset or re-design the current one, which I wanted to do anyone with all new furniture to make it look less stock.

So yeah, that's the plan, the current characters are gen 3 which is why I want to make them, moving on to gen 8 for the 1st release will for sure be the better move, saves me having to figure out how to convert the characters further down the line :p

But here's a few stills for you guys ( keep in mind, these are not going to be the characters in the game :p )
S02.png
S01.png
S03.png
S04.png

I was planning on doing 2 more stills with penetration in the last one and deepthroat in the blowjob one...might still do it :p

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Development Update - 05-11-2020
.....One big change I was planning on doing was changing Aunt from being the Aunt and making her an older Grandma character instead ( Mom's mom basically ), you don't see a lot of grandma's in games so I figured...why not? I then changed my mind though, I don't want to lose the Aunt story arc so instead will keep it the same, but also have Grandma living in the cabin with Aunt. This does mean I'll either need to find a new 3-bed cabin asset or re-design the current one, which I wanted to do anyone with all new furniture to make it look less stock....
Hmm, i would rather to have two aunts, instead grandma:unsure:
There is not that many games with two aunts either, yet, thats just me.

Reactions: xXwankerXx

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Hmm, i would rather to have two aunts, instead grandma:unsure:
There is not that many games with two aunts either, yet, thats just me.
There could be a 2nd Aunt but I think that'll put to many characters in to start with, really got my heart set of a granny now and got a decent asset going for it :p could always make it so a 2nd aunt could visit in a future update :unsure:

Pogo123

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2019
quality looks really good. nice big boobed milfs +1 story sound good too and its nice its not fully mc playstyle but... the mc looks boring :/ far too young and especially smooth/nice looking. are there more guys you can interact with/the girls have fun with? guys i have to play and find out. (hopefully) but its not abandoned so hopes are more or less high to see some nice updates with possible ntr options and older/uglier guys.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote