muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
You've got good art.. How about adding an artwork or 2 for the bonuses? Some people really like that stuff.

winterlook

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
Personally I think releasing a build earlier for patrons is not a good way to thank the patrons. It happens more often than not such builds get shared prematurely, thereby removing the incentive for patrons as you have noted. I suspect trying to build a community on your Patreon-site is a much more effective way to keep donations rolling. But that's very hard to do, and will eat into your development time if you're flying solo. Maybe invite-only chats or development sessions together with your patrons on youtube/twitch (or are they always public? I'm sure there must be ways to accomplish this) are also an idea. But the release earlier for patrons idea is broken imo.
youtube\twitch will eat my time like you said before. Also, I'm not an artist so I have nothing to show there.

Fade

Oct 21, 2016
What kind of "bonuses" do you mean?
He means that the patreon version should include "bonus" artworks. It can be in the form of an extra character, or maybe a side quest, or just extra images you can access from the menu.

winterlook

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
He means that the patreon version should include "bonus" artworks. It can be in the form of an extra character, or maybe a side quest, or just extra images you can access from the menu.
What is the point if that version can be shared easily?

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
What is the point if that version can be shared easily?
My reason for not suggesting it. But I sympathize, it's not easy to suggest giving something to patrons where there's little or no incentive to share, or where sharing does'nt deincentivize (is that even Engrish?) current or prospective patrons.

wep

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 16, 2016
Probably I'm strange but I'm actually support several games on patreon even If I can found them here the same day of release. Personally I don't think that supporting dev. is really in order to have the game a week earlier than the others. Quite often there are some minor/major bugs in the earlier version corrected in the public version, on the top. I believe people are supporting you because you are good and hard working (and you are), but probably I'm naive. What I like most on patreon is the chance to interact with the developer and "drive" the development of the game; your pools are a good example of that and they are attracting more patreons that the earlier release imho.

winterlook

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
Probably I'm strange but I'm actually support several games on patreon even If I can found them here the same day of release. Personally I don't think that supporting dev. is really in order to have the game a week earlier than the others. Quite often there are some minor/major bugs in the earlier version corrected in the public version, on the top. I believe people are supporting you because you are good and hard working (and you are), but probably I'm naive. What I like most on patreon is the chance to interact with the developer and "drive" the development of the game; your pools are a good example of that and they are attracting more patreons that the earlier release imho.
Thanks. I will keep your words in mind. I also enjoy to interact with patrons and people who like my work. I will think about creating more polls and other ways to keep them interested in it.

Muff Diver

Gaming Legend & LoneWolf
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks @winterlook keep your head up. Members and patreons do appreciate your work and the game you are creating, some members have said in some release threads after downloading the games a few times they real like the creators work and pledge to them.
So like some have said even though they might download here they pledge to the creator its only when creators stuff the patreons around thing go sour IMO.
You and some other creators take your time out to talk on this site in your threads about the games and whats happening people/members really appreciate creators taking the time to talk and help.
Like @PandaPenguin, @SinnersQuill and @seyfer110 and yourself to name a few.
Keep up the Great work creators.

Reactions: Twistty

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
*youcalled* :FuckYea:

Well that is just rude...
oh I have with the pirates here :ForeverAlone:
one of the main reasons I
  1. activated upfront payment on Patreon (no more fake Patrons)
  2. switched to "PM only" early access download links
    (a bit more manual work for yourself but my last release didn't leak in its 2 week "early access" time period)
this way I get at least payed ONCE for the release... :pokerFace:
if and how Patrons gonna share the game after they payed for it is none of my business after that point (can't control that anyway)

other than that there is not really much one can do about it other than appreciate the interest in ones work :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Muff Diver

winterlook

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
*youcalled* :FuckYea:

oh I have with the pirates here :ForeverAlone:
one of the main reasons I
  1. activated upfront payment on Patreon (no more fake Patrons)
  2. switched to "PM only" early access download links
    (a bit more manual work for yourself but my last release didn't leak in its 2 week "early access" time period)
this way I get at least payed ONCE for the release... :pokerFace:
if and how Patrons gonna share the game after they payed for it is none of my business after that point (can't control that anyway)

other than that there is not really much one can do about it other than appreciate the interest in ones work :cool:
Yeah, I do the same. There is also another way to control it, but it requires a lot of time. If you are interesting I can tell you about it in PM. Your project looks interesting, I will keep an eye on it and I wish you luck with it!

Reactions: PandaPenguin

winterlook

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
Thanks @winterlook keep your head up. Members and patreons do appreciate your work and the game you are creating, some members have said in some release threads after downloading the games a few times they real like the creators work and pledge to them.
So like some have said even though they might download here they pledge to the creator its only when creators stuff the patreons around thing go sour IMO.
You and some other creators take your time out to talk on this site in your threads about the games and whats happening people/members really appreciate creators taking the time to talk and help.
Like @PandaPenguin, @SinnersQuill and @seyfer110 and yourself to name a few.
Keep up the Great work creators.
Thank you! This kind of words means a lot to me as a creator and it is always nice to read them!

Reactions: Muff Diver

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
No problem, I hope you enjoy the new scene. Some patrons said it was too...hardcore.
Common! What do they know of hardcore? No, seriously - it's good that you seem to take part in discussions outside Patreon, don't forget about this, pls. I think there's a 'Patreon bubble' where devs/artists don't feel the need to leave that place. Because their fans are mostly 'super excited' ones. Which is bad. Here or at other forums nobody 'loves' you, because you did include something they like. Nobody 'hates' you, because you didn't.

To me this means: it's important to find out about other ppl's perceptions and points of view on your work. At least you get more unbiased critics. This is why e.g. painters go to a gallery (incognito) with their pictures on display and just watch or discuss art with random visitors.

Still there's a lot to improve with FoI. Places like chans are not the best for really discussing your games. You might have found out about it already. Welcome, Winterlook. Wishing you well.

winterlook

Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
Common! What do they know of hardcore? No, seriously - it's good that you seem to take part in discussions outside Patreon, don't forget about this, pls. I think there's a 'Patreon bubble' where devs/artists don't feel the need to leave that place. Because their fans are mostly 'super excited' ones. Which is bad. Here or at other forums nobody 'loves' you, because you did include something they like. Nobody 'hates' you, because you didn't.

To me this means: it's important to find out about other ppl's perceptions and points of view on your work. At least you get more unbiased critics. This is why e.g. painters go to a gallery (incognito) with their pictures on display and just watch or discuss art with random visitors.

Still there's a lot to improve with FoI. Places like chans are not the best for really discussing your games. You might have found out about it already. Welcome, Winterlook. Wishing you well.
Oh, thank you! That was a very deep analyse. I was and still am a supporter of a few projects and I understand of how important communication is. In other words - I treat my fans as I want other creators to treat me.

Yeah, I understand that there is a lot to improve and I want to do it, but there is not enough budget to release all of my ideas...at least for now.
And yes, I check 4ch and 8ch to read comments. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad and sometimes it's just some trolling, but I still enjoy it and take notes of what to do better. Don't hesitate to contact me. I would like to hear more from you.:):cool:

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 81 Votes