Feb 27, 2018
When you control the input, it's a lot easier to control the output: you could replace all instances of words with a unique symbol, for example "{ass}", which is always translated, but depending on whether the censor setting is enabled or disabled, it will be translated either into "ass" or into "bum". That way, you don't have to worry about other unrelated words that contain the censored word being caught in the filter. This approach is pretty foolproof when you're the one that writes all the text in the game and can always guarantee that it will be written that way...assuming you don't make any mistakes, anyways.
This whole thing is just that Sam_Tail was probably doing this in a hurry since the whole feature was clearly an afterthought. I'm sure in the next version it will be fixed, but I wish it weren't, because I love the idea of bambi sammy being like my elementary school friend who was so afraid of saying "god" that he said "bleepfather" instead. Also I just watched the Big O and I like your avatar.

Reactions: Amhran
Apr 14, 2023
This whole thing is just that Sam_Tail was probably doing this in a hurry since the whole feature was clearly an afterthought. I'm sure in the next version it will be fixed, but I wish it weren't, because I love the idea of bambi sammy being like my elementary school friend who was so afraid of saying "god" that he said "bleepfather" instead. Also I just watched the Big O and I like your avatar.
"Oh my fucking bleepfather." I don't know, it has a ring to it.

Feb 27, 2018
"Oh my fucking bleepfather." I don't know, it has a ring to it.
I think the idea of bambi Sammy being so repressed she won't even say naughty words as part of other words is pretty fitting given that bambi Sammy is supposed to never adapt to the world she lives in at all and just becomes progressively more traumatized as the game goes on. The whole game is basically the Haven bad end for bambi Sammy. I think it's super fucked up and I can't imagine being into it, but I am not going to judge, since I'm sure that I'm an unforgivable degenerate to most people too.

edit: btw the friend said bleepfather instead of godfather when talking about the movie, iirc he would just say bleep instead of god.

Amhran

Mar 22, 2022
I think the idea of bambi Sammy being so repressed she won't even say naughty words as part of other words is pretty fitting given that bambi Sammy is supposed to never adapt to the world she lives in at all and just becomes progressively more traumatized as the game goes on. The whole game is basically the Haven bad end for bambi Sammy. I think it's super fucked up and I can't imagine being into it, but I am not going to judge, since I'm sure that I'm an unforgivable degenerate to most people too.
I'd personally prefer it if more restrictions were enabled (e.g. tying being able to masturbate to how high your level of desire is like it used to be, and making sure your level of desire goes down by an appreciable amount when you do it so you can't just keep doing it...maybe also being unable to permanently obtain the Slut/Whore traits). But sandbox games tend to stop being as compelling or interesting for me as soon as you have the ability to do anything you like, so...so I like the game to keep trying to challenge me. It's also another reason why I'm not a huge fan of all the different ways that Sammy will just suddenly start drinking alcohol with zero input from the player, especially when you're playing a personality type that literally starts out with the lightweight drinker trait (which would seem to suggest that she's not supposed to be a drinker, but which works in the inverse manner because when she inexplicably does decide to start drinking, she's much more affected by it than other personality types). The game gives you plenty of options to break Sammy's restrictions if you really want to, but the game itself will suddenly break them for you and now Sammy is doing all the things that she's not supposed to even though you didn't really take any explicit action towards doing so. You can just be in school and get punched by the bullies, take a huge penalty to your happiness, and now she's forcibly day-drinking at school and accepting random prostitution propositions. Don't really love that design philosophy, but what're you going to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Randomguyy69

Jenna99

Feb 17, 2019

edit: btw the friend said bleepfather instead of godfather when talking about the movie, iirc he would just say bleep instead of god.
This has not remotely been my experience so far. Bambi Sammy starts out wanting nothing to do with all of this and being terrified, which I believe makes sense for someone suddenly waking up in a town of effectively legal rapists. To compound the problem, a town without legal birth control. An even greater degree of panic makes sense if the male beginning is chosen as the character would have gone from primarily being a target of violence to a more-or-less defenseless target of sexual assault. And they would have to worry about pregnancy for the first time. Just seems like a lot for someone to take in. No?

Regardless, as sexual act numbers increase, Bambi Sammy starts to swing into it just fine. Her perk stat values mean she is more likely to be groped on the bus and she is held back from being full-on sex crazed 24/7, but she completely adjusts. It just takes longer. The only trauma that hit for me on the day-to-day experience was from the bullies and not the world, and that's avoidable by getting in with the soccer players early. I suppose if you were playing thoughtlessly and hanging out late at night being assaulted left and right... but that's player choice, not the route. And if you end up with the bully trauma or from another source, once it passes Numb kicks in. No more trauma even possible.

I know you weren't judging, but if what you said is your impression of the route, then it is simply incorrect. Instead of viewing Bambi as an endless path of despair and emotional destruction, think of it as hard mode. You have to work more to progress Sammy along to the point that she adjusts instead of having her shrug and say, "Huh, everyone is assaulting me. Ah well, what are you going to do". Can it be a terror? Yes, but that just means the player chose poorly (unintentionally or not). Or I suppose just got really unlucky with the RNG.

Last edited:

Jenna99

Feb 17, 2019
Patrons in the pub are incredibly tricky. I had one take Sammy's panties when I had intentionally gone out on the floor not wearing any. When they asked to buy them Sammy correctly informed them she wasn't wearing any, but they were removed from inventory anyway and had to be repurchased.

Feb 27, 2018
This has not remotely been my experience so far. Bambi Sammy starts out wanting nothing to do with all of this and being terrified, which I believe makes sense for someone suddenly waking up in a town of effectively legal rapists. To compound the problem, a town without legal birth control. An even greater degree of panic makes sense if the male beginning is chosen as the character would have gone from primarily being a target of violence to a more-or-less defenseless target of sexual assault. And they would have to worry about pregnancy for the first time. Just seems like a lot for someone to take in. No?

Regardless, as sexual act numbers increase, Bambi Sammy starts to swing into it just fine. Her perk stat values mean she is more likely to be groped on the bus and she is held back from being full-on sex crazed 24/7, but she completely adjusts. It just takes longer. The only trauma that hit for me on the day-to-day experience was from the bullies and not the world, and that's avoidable by getting in with the soccer players early. I suppose if you were playing thoughtlessly and hanging out late at night being assaulted left and right... but that's player choice, not the route. And if you end up with the bully trauma or from another source, once it passes Numb kicks in. No more trauma even possible.

I know you weren't judging, but if what you said is your impression of the route, then it is simply incorrect. Instead of viewing Bambi as an endless path of despair and emotional destruction, think of it as hard mode. You have to work more to progress Sammy along to the point that she adjusts instead of having her shrug and say, "Huh, everyone is assaulting me. Ah well, what are you going to do". Can it be a terror? Yes, but that just means the player chose poorly (unintentionally or not). Or I suppose just got really unlucky with the RNG.
I haven't played Bambi because it's kinda the opposite of the appeal of the game for me, I was just going off of the impression that other people have given me in this thread about it. Also rape isn't effectively legal in the setting as far as I can tell, it's just that the game takes place in a failed state, so the concept of legality isn't relevant.

Apr 14, 2023
I haven't played Bambi because it's kinda the opposite of the appeal of the game for me, I was just going off of the impression that other people have given me in this thread about it. Also rape isn't effectively legal in the setting as far as I can tell, it's just that the game takes place in a failed state, so the concept of legality isn't relevant.
It didn't become legal, it's more like the police, if you can call them that, are focused in other more major things. Also, the police in this setting are little more than thugs on a leash and repopulating is a priority in the world, so they turn a blind eye.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
I think there is a big difference between something being effectively legal and just living in a failed state like this game takes place in. Legality implies that a group with a monopoly on the legitimate use of force has approved of it, while being in a failed state means that there is no group with a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. That may seem like a distinction without a difference from the ivory tower of living in a functional society, but to most of the world that is a very pointed difference. In a failed state the government isn't there to protect you, but also doesn't protect your attackers, and even if they are part of a larger armed group, you can probably get away with defending yourself with the utmost use of force. In a situation where something like rape is legal or de facto legal, then self defense against it is illegal or de facto illegal, so a group with a monopoly on the legitimate use of force will automatically be your enemy if you assert your right to sexual self determination.
A lovely example of his in game, one of the methods to deal with the bullies is to let them steal poisoned beer, which has no negative consequences for the MC (currently at least). It's pretty obvious what government there is doesn't want people getting murdered, since they care more about repopulation, but if you're not going on a murder spree and its relatively discrete, no one will care enough to investigate.

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
The government, interestingly enough, does have some dictatorial traits: They want to appear as the ones in charge, and the prevailing doctrine is that while life in the city is bad, everywhere else is far worse (though people aren't allowed to leave to check) and the city is surrounded by enemies (that no one ever saw) and they're the only ones keeping said enemies out of the city.

Similarly, the Institute isn't interested in policing the city (read: spending resources on something they have no return of investment in) but they do have the ability to enact a fair amount of force once something does involve itself in their business. In that, they are no different than Haven which also has its own security guards and enforcers and limited community infrastructure for its members.

Which leaves the city's general population in a position where laws exist, but there isn't really anyone to enforce them. Rape is illegal, murder is illegal, underage drinking is illegal, but no one ever does anything about these things because the government has its hands full paying clerks, teachers and heavily armed border guards and the organizations in power won't move if there's no clear benefit for them in doing so. If public order was their main concern the Institute could wipe out Haven in a couple of hours, but they don't because that would upset the balance of power in the city -- there's a reason they sent the MC to investigate, who isn't overtly connected to the Institute, and even then after having her appearance reworked: They simply do not want to get in a territorial dispute with Haven because it would not be advantageous to them. Even the Brothel Raid from the Slave (soft) bad end was only to retrieve their 'property' (Sammy's body), not to remove the brothel with all its implied forced prostitution from (the outskirts of) the city.

That's what the Institute 'made' Sammy for, a means to increase their sphere of influence without openly stepping on anyone's toes. Sammy is a trial run to see if it's viable to have more agents than just her in the future, that's likely why they put some rando kid in the new body. They paint themselves as the good guys while she helps them work out the kinks in the system, but in the end all she is to them is the asset that is her body. Sammy the person means nothing to them.

Reactions: Necronlord5

HjjK

Oct 11, 2021
Hey aah, what happened to tanning and tan lines? I remember that you were able to tan in the previous builds.

Jenna99

Feb 17, 2019
Hey aah, what happened to tanning and tan lines? I remember that you were able to tan in the previous builds.
Yeah, I thought that's what relaxing in the sand was for, but apparently not. I suppose it added too many extra images. Especially with different levels of tanning. Unless you could apply it at runtime as a layer on top of the images already used I suppose. Even that would mean making a tanning layer (if not multiple) for every scene, pose, and state of pregnancy. Would be cool to have, but if I had to choose between having it or the different plotlines moving forward I'm more than happy to choose plot. Of course, this is all assumption on my part.

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, I thought that's what relaxing in the sand was for, but apparently not. I suppose it added too many extra images. Especially with different levels of tanning. Unless you could apply it at runtime as a layer on top of the images already used I suppose. Even that would mean making a tanning layer (if not multiple) for every scene, pose, and state of pregnancy. Would be cool to have, but if I had to choose between having it or the different plotlines moving forward I'm more than happy to choose plot. Of course, this is all assumption on my part.

Reactions: UnDeaD_CyBorG
3.90 star(s) 58 Votes