Essta

Sep 12, 2023
Thats what you get for sharing the google drive link here and arguing its not piracy because google drive is "public". Piracy forum and all, but damn the nerve on some people.

Que pikachu face when some other way to distribute dev builts gets thought up.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
Thats what you get for sharing the google drive link here and arguing its not piracy because google drive is "public". Piracy forum and all, but damn the nerve on some people.

A private cloud server seems like the most reasonable form, considering the whole GoogleDrive leak.
The LonaRPG developer has one and it's paid up-front before you have access to the link.
There is no perfect system but even though the cloud server thing has weaknesses like Patreon I think it's actually safer.

Feb 27, 2018

bitch, I argued that it probably doesn't fit the strict legal definition of piracy, I think I was the only one who did so. I personally think that piracy is perfectly moral anyway and was only interested in whether it was piracy from a purely academic standpoint. What do you mean by the nerve on some people? Are you under the absolutely ludicrous delusion that copyright is an actual natural right and not a government enforced monopoly?

• Haha
Reactions: Xakorik and HikkiG
Apr 14, 2023
bitch, I argued that it probably doesn't fit the strict legal definition of piracy, I think I was the only one who did so. I personally think that piracy is perfectly moral anyway and was only interested in whether it was piracy from a purely academic standpoint. What do you mean by the nerve on some people? Are you under the absolutely ludicrous delusion that copyright is an actual natural right and not a government enforced monopoly?
Without copyright people would mangle works beyond recognition from the author's vision, it's an exploitable law but a necessary one. About rights and laws, they don't really happen in nature, they're both enforced by the government, institutions and, on occasion, the common folk and they are necessary to hold people accountable. Laws exist to protect us.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: cache-coherent

Essta

Sep 12, 2023
If i had something against piracy i wouldnt be here, now would i? I believe our lawmakers would actually call it "hacking" because you illicitly gained access to a internal resource? God our lawmakers are stupid. But yeah, its piracy. Like, do you think sending your friend a copy of a drm free game so they can play it without paying (and so on) isnt piracy because theres no drm on it?

And the nerve of if is because doing that and arguing its not piracy would, rightfully, piss off the dev even when they knowingly condone/tolerate that patreon early relases are shared here. Its like posing to nintendo and telling them "whatchu gonn do about it huh". Not gonna have the results anyone would want.

As for the morals of copyright? I dont believe its a natural law, but its a helpful one. Only its been perverted to benefit mostly only the rich, abused to shut down project that they realistically shoud not, only because of the almighty "more dorrah for me". Granting a monopoly for new inventions for 20 years so you can safely make back your investment and some for taking the risk of trying new things, aids innovation., by encouraging people to take that risk. Granting that right for 200+ years? Not anymore, now it just stifles anyone who could be building on top of those ideas. Iteration and extension are important parts to progress and mastery and the current situation kills it.

Last edited:

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
Piracy is going to happen. I don't want to spend any time or energy trying to combat it. Where it is harmful is when known buggy dev builds are leaked, promoted on the front page and new people come along, play it, realise it's buggy and leave bad reviews/comments under the assumption it is a full release. (already happened a few times before)

Dev builds are versions where I have done something and just throw it in the folder at the end of the day. They are not tested, often not save compatible, contain known bugs that I have chose to ignore and may even crashy or entirely unplayable for a proper play through.

So such leaks I will attempt to contain not because of piracy, but to not damage the games reputation.

FTFaceless

Jan 9, 2023
Piracy is going to happen. I don't want to spend any time or energy trying to combat it. Where it is harmful is when known buggy dev builds are leaked, promoted on the front page and new people come along, play it, realise it's buggy and leave bad reviews/comments under the assumption it is a full release. (already happened a few times before)

Dev builds are versions where I have done something and just throw it in the folder at the end of the day. They are not tested, often not save compatible, contain known bugs that I have chose to ignore and may even crashy or entirely unplayable for a proper play through.

So such leaks I will attempt to contain not because of piracy, but to not damage the games reputation.
Add a disclaimer at title screen "Dev build - buggy/broken/for debugging only" for those builds to make bad reviewers look stupid :KEK:

You ain't rolling stable builds that often anyway as far as I know...

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
Add a disclaimer at title screen "Dev build - buggy/broken/for debugging only" for those builds to make bad reviewers look stupid :KEK:

You ain't rolling stable builds that often anyway as far as I know...
Other than the recent full public. Big update with the wardrobe and being naked in public means there hasn't been a stable since.

That's a pretty easy solution
You think people read stuff? I have a bridge to sell you, great offer and you wont find a better deal.

Feb 27, 2018
Without copyright people would mangle works beyond recognition from the author's vision, it's an exploitable law but a necessary one. About rights and laws, they don't really happen in nature, they're both enforced by the government, institutions and, on occasion, the common folk and they are necessary to hold people accountable. Laws exist to protect us.
Every non trivial point you make in this post is wrong. Refuting it would require a lot more effort than I'm going to put in.
If i had something against piracy i wouldnt be here, now would i? I believe our lawmakers would actually call it "hacking" because you illicitly gained access to a internal resource? God our lawmakers are stupid. But yeah, its piracy. Like, do you think sending your friend a copy of a drm free game so they can play it without paying (and so on) isnt piracy because theres no drm on it?

And the nerve of if is because doing that and arguing its not piracy would, rightfully, piss off the dev even when they knowingly condone/tolerate that patreon early relases are shared here. Its like posing to nintendo and telling them "whatchu gonn do about it huh". Not gonna have the results anyone would want.

As for the morals of copyright? I dont believe its a natural law, but its a helpful one. Only its been perverted to benefit mostly only the rich, abused to shut down project that they realistically shoud not, only because of the almighty "more dorrah for me". Granting a monopoly for new inventions for 20 years so you can safely make back your investment and some for taking the risk of trying new things, aids innovation., by encouraging people to take that risk. Granting that right for 200+ years? Not anymore, now it just stifles anyone who could be building on top of those ideas. Iteration and extension are important parts to progress and mastery and the current situation kills it.
There are no controls on access to the google drive beyond limitations on where the link to it is released. If you have a link to it, you can access it. I'm pretty sure that the definition of hacking in the US at least requires that the person claiming to be hacked has to have put in some sort of controls on access. Sending a copy to a friend would legally count as a violation of copyright because you don't have permission from the copyright holder to make copies. The Google drive does have permission, so it's probably not a violation of copyright. I also would strongly dispute the idea that copyright is actually helpful. There really isn't any way to support that notion without trying out abolishing copyright for a while to see if things get better or worse. I understand the theory behind why it is supposed to be a good idea, but I think that the reasoning which underpins it is unsound. I mostly agree with the article . It's available for free and there is an audio version if you want to listen while you do something, so rather than waste more time arguing I'll just reccomend reading/listening to that.
Piracy tends to refer to copyright violations, worrying about reputational damage from inferior products being distributed with your name on them is the purpose of trademark, which is a much more reasonable notion than copyright and it protects the consumer from faulty goods which are misleadingly advertised even more than it protects the trademark holder. I think it might be more accurate to call what you are bothered by bootlegging.
You think people read stuff? I have a bridge to sell you, great offer and you wont find a better deal.
I think there are ways you could make a disclaimer so intrusive and clear that people are unlikely to miss or misunderstand it. I don't know if it's worth the effort to do so right now, but if people keep finding the dev builds and getting a bad impression of the game from them, then it might be worthwhile to do something obnoxious like covering the whole screen with a disclaimer you can't click through and have to type something like "I RECOGNIZE THIS IS AN UNSTABLE TEST BUILD AND I SHOULD BE PLAYING THE STABLE BUILD INSTEAD" to proceed, along with an air raid siren playing in the background or just a recording of you yelling "don't play this version you idiot, play the stable release".

• Haha
Reactions: Xakorik

HikkiG

Dec 12, 2020
I think there are ways you could make a disclaimer so intrusive and clear that people are unlikely to miss or misunderstand it. I don't know if it's worth the effort to do so right now, but if people keep finding the dev builds and getting a bad impression of the game from them, then it might be worthwhile to do something obnoxious like covering the whole screen with a disclaimer you can't click through and have to type something like "I RECOGNIZE THIS IS AN UNSTABLE TEST BUILD AND I SHOULD BE PLAYING THE STABLE BUILD INSTEAD" to proceed, along with an air raid siren playing in the background or just a recording of you yelling "don't play this version you idiot, play the stable release".
You underestimate how stubborn people are, they'll still ignore all warnings even when forced to type out. Hey Sam Tail, how many years now you've been repeating non-stop about leaked builds being unstable dev ones and only public ones being stable? Because I've lost count.

Completely agree with you on copyright.

Feb 27, 2018
You underestimate how stubborn people are, they'll still ignore all warnings even when forced to type out. Hey Sam Tail, how many years now you've been repeating non-stop about leaked builds being unstable dev ones and only public ones being stable? Because I've lost count.

Completely agree with you on copyright.
I said unlikely, not impossible. Another thought would be to crib an idea from old adventure games where they'd ask a question that you wouldn't know the answer to without the manual. But instead here maybe include some question with an easy answer that you'd need to play the game to know like "what's the name of the protagonist's landlord?". The point isn't to be totally idiot proof, because there will always be a bigger idiot, but it would probably cut down the number of people who play an unstable build and base their whole opinion of the game on it, and since it's already a small minority of the people who play the game who write reviews, cutting down the number of them playing an unstable build without realizing it would further cut down the probability of someone writing a negative review based upon an unstable test build.
edit: also you could replace random backgrounds with Goatse. It wouldn't do anything to help, but it would make the potential idiot who leaves a review based on an development build more obvious and funny.

Jadeicorn

Jul 11, 2022

i may be a pirate but i pay for the games i like so once this gets released im buying

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
i may be a pirate but i pay for the games i like so once this gets released im buying
Oh yeah, i pirated games before that i later on ended up buying too. Nowadays pretty much everything has a Let's Play on Youtube so i don't really need to hit up a torrent site anymore, but i understand the reasoning :)

huyt504

Feb 16, 2022
great game
been playing since 2021
one problem tho , the main story of the game havent been progress much which just suck to be left on a cliff hanger

BigAlzBub

Jul 20, 2020
great game
been playing since 2021
one problem tho , the main story of the game havent been progress much which just suck to be left on a cliff hanger
Unfortunately it is still a long way off, if you look at the discord for the project there is a road map which shows that there are 4 other updates before it gets to the main quest, and that is for people who have access to the Patreon builds (the one here I think is a public build?) the current Patreon build is 3.3.16, where as the build here is only 3.3.04

Given the titles of the updates on the Patreon, I would hazard a guess that even though quite a few builds have gone by, it is still the first of the milestones listed, so if it bothers you, maybe come back to in 3-6 months and see how things have progressed then.

Last edited:

Amhran

Mar 22, 2022
I think the first time I tried The Fixer, a dev build had been linked on the main post here on F95 and it seemed like just about every other thing I tried to do or look at was broken. It's undoubtedly better for the dev builds to not be listed as the main download in the original post here if good first impressions are the goal, which I think they should be for any new players.

3.90 star(s) 58 Votes