Bobber Tail

Nov 28, 2017
At the bar I put on the work dress but it won't allow me to work, says I need to put on work clothes, buy all 3 items, again and still won't let me work. Win with save from July.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
At the bar I put on the work dress but it won't allow me to work, says I need to put on work clothes, buy all 3 items, again and still won't let me work. Win with save from July.
Did you go to the back room and hit the "Work" button? Sammy should dress herself in the outfit. If you're using 0.3.3.17 I'd suggest trying to roll back to the stable 0.3.3.04 build. 0.3.3.17 is a developer build and as such has a tonne of bugs and glitches that the testers are combing it for.

...I'll wait for the next stable build. The unstable 0.3.3.17 should be removed and replaced with the stable.
Still having fun substituting bum for ass in a variety of words, such as the resulting tbumle, bumistant or even bumbumin.

Had a thought. The word "Pass". Pbum -> Pb -> Lead -> Leadum.
Hilariously, Pb, the chemical symbol for Lead comes from the latin term "Plumbum".

Last edited:

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Holy shit, I cant believe I didnt piece that together... The game is literally word replacing anything that says "ass"? that's hilarious method to replace swear words on the fly.
This was discussed a little while ago, but it's called the Scunthorpe problem. Scunthorpe is a town in England that has a lot of issue with its name getting caught in automatic censures (letters 2-5). It plagues every simple find and replace or block this string type of program, since if the program only looks for a string of letters, then it can block or change part of a word, sometimes even across words (for example "wanted icky" contains d ick, which some programs take issue with).

Reactions: SiggySky and shioxu

Qahlz

Jul 25, 2023
This was discussed a little while ago, but it's called the Scunthorpe problem. Scunthorpe is a town in England that has a lot of issue with its name getting caught in automatic censures (letters 2-5). It plagues every simple find and replace or block this string type of program, since if the program only looks for a string of letters, then it can block or change part of a word, sometimes even across words (for example "wanted icky" contains d ick, which some programs take issue with).
At least in this case the fix should be relatively easy by replacing it via a regular expression instead of simple find-and-replace. If you use the regular expression "\W(ass)\W" only instances where "ass" is its own word will be replaced.

Ronia

Sep 12, 2018
One of the only fond memories I have of being a community manager is that I got to post the greatest patch note in the history of everything:

- Enemy names including the word "assassin" should no longer display as "******in"

I know nothing about coding, but it is insane to me that someone managed to make a language filter so aggressive that it went after mob names. And this wasn't some hobby project by a first time developer. This was a large team of veterans, making a very expensive game. But I guess it was also a game where, at launch, literally any entity that somehow went out of bounds was moved to coordinates 0.0.0, resulting in a localized vortex of chaos and madness.

Last edited:

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
One of the only fond memories I have of being a community manager is that I got to post the greatest patch note in the history of everything:

- Enemy names including the word "assassin" should no longer display as "******in"

I know nothing about coding, but it is insane to me that someone managed to make a language filter so aggressive that it went after mob names. And this wasn't some hobby project by a first time developer. This was a large team of veterans, making a very expensive game. But I guess it was also a game where, at launch, literally any entity that somehow went out of bounds was moved to coordinates 0.0.0, resulting in a localized vortex of chaos and madness.
Part of the issue is that people love to try and get around censor lists constantly. Think of every variant of a swear (fuck, fucker, fucking, exc), replacement letters (fvck), adding characters (fuuck, f uck, exc), and "alternate" swears (frack from Battlestar Galactica is one example). So the naive way is to simply remove special characters and spaces, then search the string for any set of letters on the banned list, then remove or replace those letters as the program is set. It's (relatively) simple to do, but has many issues.

It's one area AI probably is going to be (and maybe already is) really useful to improve things, since the simple censor lists contently both miss swears and block non-swears. A properly trained AI model can read the context around a potential swear and determine if it actually is a swear or not, including learning as the users try and get around the filters.

Anyway, that's the last I'll post on this, since this is a bit off topic.

rexi073

Apr 29, 2020
An exception has occurred.: 0.3.3.17
Windows-10: While running game code:
ScriptError: could not find label 'random_event_generic_exhib_4'.
: Full traceback:
File "scripts/locations/general/random_events/random_events_unique/exhibitionism/random_events_exhib_picker.rpyc", line 3, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1974, in execute
rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
File "renpy/script.py", line 927, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.3.22090809
The Fixer 0.3.3.17
Fri Oct 18 23:48:35 2024

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
An exception has occurred.: 0.3.3.17
Windows-10: While running game code:
: Full traceback:
File "scripts/locations/general/random_events/random_events_unique/exhibitionism/random_events_exhib_picker.rpyc", line 3, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1974, in execute
rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
File "renpy/script.py", line 927, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.3.22090809
The Fixer 0.3.3.17
Fri Oct 18 23:48:35 2024
0.3.3.17 is developer build, made only for testing. It's going to have bugs until the vast majority are found, fixed and committed to the stable build.
Delete it and find 0.3.3.04, which is still the most recent stable build.
That's also for you, FPcrab and you str8up.

sir_starlin they're only nerfed if you choose the Bambi starting trait.

Reactions: str8up
3.90 star(s) 58 Votes