Xillop

Jul 30, 2018
Big thanks for that, I have photoshop and hopefully will get some better night images going forward. Now with already rendered images would you say feeding them into photoshop and using the auto-brightness would be enough or would a whole new render be needed? this is one from one of the scenes in question and I just added a brightness/contrast mask to it and feel that it doesn't look bad on my end. If this would be acceptable then when people say a scene is too dark I can just batch the 75 or so renders into photoshop and a couple clicks each and fixed.
Hi, Glad the info was helpful. Editing a JPG or PNG is not always the best option, because they are cooked formats (meaning anything that's already applied to the image can't be modified) (unlike .RAW / .NEF / .DNG etc) and it's been my experience that it's much harder to rectify under exposed images once in that format and still retain detail / quality. Often it adds artifacts and banding and you often lose control over what should be black.

But for this scenario, my suggestion would be to try adding a Levels layer and then you can control the black, mid and white points. See the two attachments. I just picked one of your modified images. In the first image you can see the Levels show that the white point (far right of the 3 chevrons under the graph, see red arrow), is way out ahead of any data in the graph. So instead of using Brightness / Contrast you can try scaling that back until it's just ahead of anything showing on the graph. You can position it anywhere you like and if you look at the second attachment you'll see what it does to the image. My attachments are high compression jpg, but you'll still see what I mean. Experiment for yourself so you can compare the differences. You can also adjust the middle chevron so you can control the mid point as well. In my second attachment I did adjust the mid to 0.75 to compensate for the drastic change in the white point. Another option is to apply a Curves layer then you can create multiple points and adjust the curve so that you have greater control over more ranged points.

Adjusting Levels I think is a safer way than adjusting Brightness and Contrast. You can also adjust the numerical values in those 3 boxes if you want to define a specific value to be used as black (0) or white (255).

In Photoshop if you have lots of images you need to apply that to, then best option is to create an Action, then use the Image Processor, select a directory where your images to be processed are stored and apply that action. Photoshop will do the rest.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelFenix

MichaelFenix

Fenix Games
Game Developer
Sep 10, 2019
Ok then re-render it is, If it was just a handful of images to fix in that manner then I'd do that. But between the two scenes, it's around 200-225 images. So after I finish the V9 opening scene, I'll begin re-rendering the ones from V6 and 7.

Big Purple

Jan 30, 2019
Just discovered this game and played it through, and I just want to say NIce Job! to the Dev.
Yes the scenes are very dark, after reading his comments, I get why, but it's too dark for sure.
But the posing, the dialog and everything so far is great! No weird poses that people in real life wouldn't make.
Straight into sex from early on is great too. I am looking forward to the rest of the story.
I like how he even made the taboo part of the step sisters , so they didn't get into bed with each other
until after they've agonized over the thought process of it all. (Well I'm assuming they will bed each other soon)

Anyway, funny, good dialog that seems much more realistic. The dude is a playa, and owns it too! Nice, some unusual
models and strange names, but it's all good! Keep up the great work.

MichaelFenix

Fenix Games
Game Developer
Sep 10, 2019
Alright today I start the re-rendering of the dark scenes, before I go head first into it I'd like some opinions, Here is 4 images. 1 is the original, one at 1 million lumens for all lights, one at 1.5 million lumens for all lights, and an overall shot at a mix of 1mill for candles and 1.5 million lumens for fixtures. I also added 2 fixtures to the wall with the door. I'm thinking the 1.5 is the way to go. Any thought's on if it needs to be more? Between my monitors, I only see some slight differences between the original and the 1.5 a few details are a little more obvious now but not a drastic difference for me. So as of now in a couple of hours I'm going to start hitting it at the 1.5 settings since I only got today off from work unless I get some notice to do otherwise.

Reactions: fabulous007

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
I looked at these on three different systems (one Win10 laptop with an RTX2060, one Win10 desktop with a GTX1080Ti and one dual-boot Win10/Ubuntu desktop with a GTX2080Ti), using two different browsers, and the 1M and 1.5M show less detail for the MC. I think they're actually worse than the original, and the original is pretty bad from a viewability standpoint.

Can you put some ceiling lights into the model and then crank the lumens up? I know you're trying to establish a certain ambiance but that's lost if we can't see the characters interact or see their expressions.

Reactions: Mister Ed

MichaelFenix

Fenix Games
Game Developer
Sep 10, 2019
ok I found a ceiling light fixture that hopefully don't get seen cause it looks really out of place in this room lol. set it to a half mill and left the rest at 1.5 mill, Considerably brighter in the scenes on my screens now hopefully this will be good.

Mister Ed

Aug 1, 2018
ok I found a ceiling light fixture that hopefully don't get seen cause it looks really out of place in this room lol. set it to a half mill and left the rest at 1.5 mill, Considerably brighter in the scenes on my screens now hopefully this will be good.
I understand your trying to establish a certain feeling with the lighting but frankly in a visually based medium if you cannot see what is going on then what is the point? If I have to squint or crank up my brightness to see details isn't darkening the scene being counter productive?

IMO better to err on the side of too much light than not enough. If you cannot see the fun bits or the action then why have illustrations at all?

Reactions: juan palote

Rain90

Oct 26, 2019
A hide chat button would sure be appreciated since it has covered every decent piece you see since the beginning of the game thus far.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
last 2 pics have best lighting. when mc enters sauna is still bit darky but ok.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Agree with several others - the last two pics are a step in the right direction but more illumination would be better. I don't think it takes much in the way of dimming to get the effect that you're looking for because we're used to being able to see things on TV and in movies that should be pitch-black, but magically have enough light to see the actors and other important items.

Thanks for considering our input and please...crank it up.

Reactions: Poser_Voyeur

jstreet

Engaged Member
Jan 7, 2018
Hello! Is the IPatch still needed in v8?? Thanks!
If you have notepad++ all you need to do is open the V0.8 script.rpy in it use the find use the words "brother" and "sister" (might want to use step-sister and step-brother to make sure you changed all of them) delete the step part or half (if you want to) and you don't need to wait for a ICpatch script.

2.90 star(s) 37 Votes