Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
I Usually have numerous light's in the indoor scenes, outdoors where everything is fine is just a skydome. And I am using Iray for the renders. How it is that I still see them and others do not is baffling to me. But as shown in my previous post the darker scenes have been lightened up or completely re-rendered. I admit part of the quality drop has come from me rushing updates since making the "Deal" to pound out monthly updates for a better rendering rig. it seems that every aspect of the game has suffered from making this deal so I may have to re-nig on that and put things back on track as they were before taking that offer.
About lighting a scene. You really don't need a lot of lights to get it to work. If there are windows, let the environment light shine into the room, up the environment intensity and/or map liberally without over lighting and cause details to be lost by overexposure. Add an emissive plane roughly the size of the ceiling to light all the props in the room so the lighting isn't too dramatic (unless that's what you're going for of course), add another emissive plane to act as a reflector, and/or have a dedicated spotlight pointing at your subject. So 3-4 is all you need. You can skip the environment light to save resources too if its night time outside, or the rooms don't have windows, then it's just 2-3 lights.

The problem with your lighting IMO is that the lighting isn't focused on the subject of your scene at all. In photography or films, you don't just switch on the room lights and start filming, there are spotlights and reflectors set up to make sure the subjects are well lit and in focus. It's like stage production where there are spotlights above always pointing at the actors, not at all realistic, but it's necessary and it works.

For example, the re-lit scene you posted is still far too flat and dark. The light fixtures of the room are brighter than the girl fucking the shit out of the MC. Is the subject of the scene the ceiling or the girl? I'm guessing the girl. So, just point a spotlight or emissive plane on the subjects, move it really close, like 1 metre close, up the luminance to really high values (or switch to kcd/m^2 and set it to 600-1000+). Make sure your subject is the most well-lit thing in your scene. Being able to see something isn't enough.

Here are two examples to illustrate. The first one is lit only by the environment and a ceiling emissive, no lights are dedicated to the subject (which is the naked girl of course). Although in this case, while it is bright enough to see the girl, the lighting is flat and dry.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The second I have a light directly pointing at the subject on the other side of the table, a room high purple emissive plane coming from the cashier to build contrast with the blue environment light coming through the window. That's just 3 lights. You can clearly see the expression of the subject, which is the focus of a conversation scene.

I hope you find this helpful, but regardless I wish you the best of luck on your future updates, I know it's not easy.

Last edited:

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I am new here on this thread so idk if this been brought up But what happened to his patreon and when is next update Great game by the way
my guess is that patreon booted his sorry ass if he gave incest patch on patreon.

we'll know when he posts here.

Reactions: EZ8lt

MichaelFenix

Fenix Games
Game Developer
Sep 10, 2019
I am new here on this thread so idk if this been brought up But what happened to his patreon and when is next update Great game by the way
Yes, Patreon claimed that even the unpatched version was incest-based. Basically, someone got sand in their vag over the game and reported me. So moved over to subscribe star posted on here when it happened but that was a few pages back now. And thanks glad you like it. As for the next update.........

V0.9
Android:

mac:

Pc:

WinX86:

V0.10 will be on subscribestar by Monday if everything goes right. Now if all my ducks lined up for once this one (V0.9) should have the re-renders of the sauna and bedroom scene with Naida from earlier versions increasing the lighting. ALSO, it should have the scene in the twin's room that had a brightness mask applied in photoshop in hopes it was good enough for everyone to avoid re-rendering them as well.

I want to thank everyone else who has posted about the lighting and offered solutions to try and get everyone happy about it. I really appreciate it. Because in future updates there are going to be more "night" scenes, and one whole scene in particular that I know is going to be trouble for sure so hopefully these tips I have received will help. Even though This project is a year and a half in I still consider myself a noob at it there is a lot I have not had time to learn to do properly between work and trying to pound out a 500 render update every month.

So as I stated earlier there is like a season finale that is coming up here pretty soon, either this next version or it might drag out to V12 I have not decided which yet. Then the next part will begin V0.1.0. However, between those 2 parts, there is going to be a bit of a break in between them.

1. Just to take a min from working non-stop for the last 18 months. Between a full-time job and then working on this when not there. You could say I'm a bit burnt out. So a week or two of just chilling after work and on my days off from it is due.

2. To polish and fix stuff in EVERYTHING that has been made so far. Some minor scene/dialog changes, fixing or expanding on them. A lot of the earlier renders which are a bit grainy from when I was rendering on my old tower, can be re-done faster now with the new rendering tower, what I have learned since making them, and the new content I have purchased since they were originally made in 2019. SO IF YOU FIND ANYTHING SCREWY that me, and the apparently less than adequate playtesters I have had checking my work, have missed. Anything at all. Typos (Yes I know they are there, but don't know where.) miss-aligned or clipping poses. (Don't mention the somewhat choppy animations I already know about them. They are a vast improvement from v2 through 5. But, still need work.) Grainy images.

This is your chance to make it known and get it fixed. Don't just say "Oh this is wrong and you gotta fix it." and not say exactly what and where it is. There's this wonderful feature on ANY platform this has been made for, called a "Screenshot." If you find something wrong use this feature to make an image of said problem and post it here so I can see it and fix it. As of the end of V10 there are about 16,500 lines of script. Just coming on here and saying that there are numerous typos of your and you're, or there, their, and they're. Isn't gonna get it fixed. Narrowing down where it is in those 16,000 lines will.

3. To study up on the rendering process a bit more and actually experiment with it some more. So far everything after the first release has been learned on the fly. Where taking the time to learn then do would probably be better. Take the time to actually, check out some of the tutorials I have found and play along. That way I can make a better novel. So far the way this has gone once I got something working alright I left it alone and didn't look back in an effort to pound the updates out faster. I'll admit there are literally hundreds of things in Daz I have no clue what they do. So taking some time to actually look around under the hood should be beneficial. Like today for instance I actually learned what the caustic sampler is and does and toyed with it and know it can be useful in some situations. Why not till today? Never came up with a reason to check it out or the time to do so. So in this "Break period." just doing shit like that can help a lot.

Now some people probably won't be thrilled about the length between these parts (One in particular.) I'm thinking like 3-4 months between them, nothing drastic like a year. So brace for a cliffhanger of a finale until after this break in production is over. Now during that period I will still be working on stuff and posting the supporter images to subscribestar just not devoting every spare minute to rendering for the next update. So for those who are or will become supporters, you'll still be getting something for your money. Maybe special renders of stuff I'm learning or testing or something.

MichaelFenix

Fenix Games
Game Developer
Sep 10, 2019
Nice, pretty much a full week later and the mods still haven't updated the thread for the updated version.

caju

Oct 5, 2017
It isnt that it is NTR. At least, it isnt to me.
What bugs me about that scene is that it is kinda like "wearing someone else's shoes"
I wear shoes but I certainly dont want to wear your shoes... especially after gym class...

What the developer did was to effectively remove a potential love interest.
I wasnt exactly happy with the scene either.

BabooJ1

Feb 12, 2019
Heck, had the dev included an option to have the man stay (for those that like the sharing/ntr genre) or go (for the likes of me who do not share my women or anyone that might be my woman soon enough), I would continue to love this game.

I didn't mind the girl-girl scenes as that is one of my kinks but the additional guy broke the camels back. So I thought okay, maybe, dev learnt his lesson so downloaded and started the next update after that and what did I learn in the talks with MC and the girls? Yes, the guy stayed and fucked more of the girls and even creampied more of them; it was at this stage that I stopped playing and deleted the game.

I've kept coming back here every so often to just read the posts and see if this option was added but alas not and I don't ever think it will be be.

Last edited by a moderator:

John David

Jun 21, 2017
About lighting a scene. You really don't need a lot of lights to get it to work. If there are windows, let the environment light shine into the room, up the environment intensity and/or map liberally without over lighting and cause details to be lost by overexposure. Add an emissive plane roughly the size of the ceiling to light all the props in the room so the lighting isn't too dramatic (unless that's what you're going for of course), add another emissive plane to act as a reflector, and/or have a dedicated spotlight pointing at your subject. So 3-4 is all you need. You can skip the environment light to save resources too if its night time outside, or the rooms don't have windows, then it's just 2-3 lights.

The problem with your lighting IMO is that the lighting isn't focused on the subject of your scene at all. In photography or films, you don't just switch on the room lights and start filming, there are spotlights and reflectors set up to make sure the subjects are well lit and in focus. It's like stage production where there are spotlights above always pointing at the actors, not at all realistic, but it's necessary and it works.

For example, the re-lit scene you posted is still far too flat and dark. The light fixtures of the room are brighter than the girl fucking the shit out of the MC. Is the subject of the scene the ceiling or the girl? I'm guessing the girl. So, just point a spotlight or emissive plane on the subjects, move it really close, like 1 metre close, up the luminance to really high values (or switch to kcd/m^2 and set it to 600-1000+). Make sure your subject is the most well-lit thing in your scene. Being able to see something isn't enough.

Here are two examples to illustrate. The first one is lit only by the environment and a ceiling emissive, no lights are dedicated to the subject (which is the naked girl of course). Although in this case, while it is bright enough to see the girl, the lighting is flat and dry.

The second I have a light directly pointing at the subject on the other side of the table, a room high purple emissive plane coming from the cashier to build contrast with the blue environment light coming through the window. That's just 3 lights. You can clearly see the expression of the subject, which is the focus of a conversation scene.

I hope you find this helpful, but regardless I wish you the best of luck on your future updates, I know it's not easy.
I would like to say thank you for this explanation of the lighting. I am not a developer but have often become frustrated at scenes that you have to view in a basically dark room to be able to see really any detail. Now I have a better understanding of why that occurs and even more respect for those of you that put the effort in to producing these things for the rest of us! I hope this games developer gets something from your post as well because...and island harem deserves to be seen! :)!

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Mar 16, 2019
The Island [v0.9 Public] [Compressed]

Original Size Win/Linux: 1.53 GB
Original Size Win x32: 1.52 GB
Original Size Mac: 1.51 GB

Compressed Size Win/Linux: 216 MB: -
Compressed Size Win x32: 202 MB: -
Compressed Size Mac: 199 MB: -

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.

You can find all of my Walkthrough Mods content here:

Or you can:

Last edited:
2.90 star(s) 37 Votes