Tanurak

Apr 26, 2021
I'd suggest looking into this aggression problem that you may or may not have (based on this quote, I'd say you do have it)
If a game makes you nearly throw your own property then you should not bother playing it, it's just not for you.
I'll have to give that to the wall builder though, I thought about breaking stuff before because I had to reload a save from 2-3 hours earlier because I didn't talk to a single NPC (real examples but no limited to: Yhilini Ambassador, Sister Janelle)

Last edited:

Jigglybone

Mar 27, 2021
I'm about an hour and a half into my first playthrough and I'm rather intrigued. Been going in blind (except for looking at some general tips such as being conscious of non-respawning monsters) and would you recommend keeping at it that way?

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
I'm about an hour and a half into my first playthrough and I'm rather intrigued. Been going in blind (except for looking at some general tips such as being conscious of non-respawning monsters) and would you recommend keeping at it that way?
Depends on if you care too much about having a "perfect" playthrough or not. You will not be able to get the "best" results at everything without a guide, but there's plenty of cool stuff in the story that only happens outside of "perfect" playthroughs.

If you are only planning on playing the game once and you want it to be a "perfect" playthrough then I'd recommend maybe restarting (depending on how far along you are) and playing the game while following a guide.

If you're enjoying your blind playthrough and don't mind some stuff not being "perfect" then there's no harm in continuing playing blind, as long as you are moderately competent and thorough with your RPGs, you probably won't get stuck at anything and still get good results in the story.

Reactions: JungleNuts

Jennnnnyyyyy

Feb 21, 2018
Playing any game for the first time should be done blindly, you are not biased towards 1 path nor will you be disappointed by any choice that you make (hopefully because you may regret certain things but such is the way of gaming) The story will be more enjoyable and you won't fall into the general "perfectionist" run where you try to min max everything for well... perfection.

A blind run is always recommended for any game because it makes you enjoy the game more and its more immersive, if you know what will happen, you won't get the same feeling when defeating the big bad nor will you feel much of any satisfaction for saving any character.

Play how you want is the general rule of thumb if you consider playing any RPG game (because there is no "wrong" way of playing a game, maybe except for dying as that does seem like a "wrong" direction) Any suggestion is as stated, a suggestion and should not be a thing that changes how you play/enjoy your game.

And since sierra made the story actually goated, it's really worth to immerse yourself in it, play it slow and don't go looking on wiki as it does have lots of spoilers that you can accidentally encounter.

Dec 6, 2019
I would suggest a guide but not a walkthrough as I enjoy knowing what my choices do but I don't like following step by step because then I'm not playing the game just following directions

lostone2

Jul 1, 2017
I would suggest a guide but not a walkthrough as I enjoy knowing what my choices do but I don't like following step by step because then I'm not playing the game just following directions
The (except in some complex areas like Simon's stay in the Orgasmic Empire.)

Mentecaptor

Feb 14, 2023
Hello, I'm in Simon Route part and there's a problem: that suspicious succubi in the city and she's not showing up for me. It's a glich? Or did I fail to do something?

Ocean75

Apr 18, 2022
I remember seeing this around my mid teen years, now I'm in my early twenties, know when enough is enough, that aside does someone has a save of when it begins to actually get interesting cause i decided to give it a try since people have been recommending it a lot, I'm 7hrs in but still don't see the hype, it's just getting on my nerves instead with his fking saint and hero attitude, i damn near almost yeeted my pc cause it's just Hella frustrating, embrace whatever is inside you motherfucker, tf is wrong with you, I'd enjoy it more if they'd also let me play how i fking want if it it doesn't affect anybody cause the game forces you to grind too, i tried to edit level and increase stats to breeze through but no changes will be made except for money and pron, i have an actual life, i don't have the time to sit and grind for hours tf, i thought it was going to be something good with all they hype I've been seeing but personally, although I'm only at chapter 2 and don't have the patience or interest to keep playing, it made the list of my top frustrating 18+ games, it hella frustrates me when character get monster like or evil power but decides I'm gonna use it to save the world or make world peace in a already fucked up world or be a fking hero and a softie look tf around you, this isn't the time to keep your shit moral, 2/10!!!
Chosen moment

Zohan4201

Jun 25, 2017
Does anyone know the switch for asking Kalant to give up his powers? I forgot to ask him to give up his powers and now I'm too far along in my run as I'm starting the Incubus king war. Would be grateful if someone helped me with this. (yes i'm save editing my files because this is my 6th or 7th time playing this game from the start because i keep forgetting the story and right now I want to speed run to the new content.) Even the switch for introducing Kalant at the end of the war will do just fine because I want Kalant for Tyna.

Last edited:

Fulminato

Oct 17, 2017
Does anyone know the switch for asking Kalant to give up his powers? I forgot to ask him to give up his powers and now I'm too far along in my run as I'm starting the Incubus king war. Would be grateful if someone helped me with this. (yes i'm save editing my files because this is my 6th or 7th time playing this game from the start because i keep forgetting the story and right now I want to speed run to the new content.) Even the switch for introducing Kalant at the end of the war will do just fine because I want Kalant for Tyna.
Chosen Deserter (switch #1897)
and you should increase Kalant Support score (variable #0242) by two

Emmitudo

Feb 4, 2018
i was rather enjoying this game until I got to Aka's route and ran into some damn near impossible fights. Apparently I missed a playable character. This is bad game design :( I'm not sure if I'll continue or not, have to stop for today though. Too frustrated.

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
This is bad game design :(
Yeah unplayable without a walkthrough but it's amazing with one so it's uh... frustrating at first

Did you play while reading a walkthrough? Because that's the whole point (and fun) of a traditional j-rpg game scheme, and The Last Sovereign is a traditional j-rpg game scheme by design.

If you truly think this is bad game design, then j-rpg games schemes aren't for you. And that's totally cool; there's so much fun games on this site, I'd reccomend you find another that suits your tastes (like fenoxo's TiTs or Savin's CoCII)

If you still wanna play, be prepared to play with the wiki open, use the calculator to keep track of the dozens of variables on the fan forum site, and maybe open up an excel sheet :)

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
I played till the last update I very dislike or no I hate the needed walkthrough part but I enjoy the game :KEK:
Nice. As I said, the needed walkthrough is supposed to be part of the enjoyment :)

Glad to see you're still sticking though even though you don't enjoy that part. I guess you don't need to enjoy 100% of the game to enjoy the game as a whole

Emmitudo

Feb 4, 2018
Walk thrus shouldn't be absolutely necessary. I Love jrpgs. I've been playing them since Dragon Warrior on the NES. The bad game design is a main character for the game being easily missable. The best sword, that's fine. A side story, also fine. One of the main characters in the game? Not fine. This was a major problem with early JRPGS and the main reason why current day jrpgs don't do it is because it's bad game design. It feels really bad to miss a character entirely. It puts people off the genre entirely. Hidden characters in jrpgs are a bit different. This game is designed to have Altina, hidden characters are just a cool bonus, not required. I know you can say she's not required, but the game flow and difficulty level says otherwise.

I'm going to have to eventually replay the game while strictly following a walkthru, but that shouldn't be necessary. I did enjoy what was there, but knowing I missed such a big part just stopped my playthrough cold. I need to wait to get over the bad taste in my mouth for wasting a bunch of hours. I can beat these fights, it's just annoying and I need to use so many items that it's kinda egregious. So I shall have to start over entirely eventually, this time with a walkthru even though it shouldn't be absolutely required.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
Walk thrus shouldn't be absolutely necessary.
Contrary to what some say in regards to this game, a walkthrough/guide isn't necessary.

The bad game design is a main character for the game being easily missable. The best sword, that's fine. A side story, also fine. One of the main characters in the game? Not fine.
They're not a "main character" if they're missable.
Plot relevant/important characters, be they party members or not, aren't missable by design.

Just because a party member can be missed, does not equate to bad game design.
It's a mistake made by the player, which a developer allows them to make. Not making that mistake is up to the player.

This was a major problem with early JRPGS and the main reason why current day jrpgs don't do it is because it's bad game design.
It used to be common in western CRPGs as well, but because of a mix of whiney players throwing verbal tantrums, the ego of writers making all their characters must-haves in your party and the degredation of gameplay/roleplay mechanics in favour of prettier graphics meant that it was just easier to have every party member be automatically picked up as necessary.

It feels really bad to miss a character entirely. It puts people off the genre entirely.
The people who are put off by that are spoiled, and aren't who these games used to be made for.

Hidden characters in jrpgs are a bit different. This game is designed to have Altina, hidden characters are just a cool bonus, not required. I know you can say she's not required, but the game flow and difficulty level says otherwise.
She's not required, but is very useful to have, and not just for pure mechanical reasons - Her character development and affect on parts of the story count too. Still doesn't make her a necessity though.

I'm going to have to eventually replay the game while strictly following a walkthru, but that shouldn't be necessary.
It isn't necessary. You just want everything you can.
It's understandable, but it's still just a "you" issue, and not a fault of the game.

it's just annoying and I need to use so many items that it's kinda egregious.
They're there to be used, not hoarded.

this time with a walkthru even though it shouldn't be absolutely required.
No matter how often you say it, it doesn't make it a fact.

Emmitudo

Feb 4, 2018
Contrary to what some say in regards to this game, a walkthrough/guide isn't necessary.

They're not a "main character" if they're missable.
Plot relevant/important characters, be they party members or not, aren't missable by design.

Just because a party member can be missed, does not equate to bad game design.
It's a mistake made by the player, which a developer allows them to make. Not making that mistake is up to the player.

It used to be common in western CRPGs as well, but because of a mix of whiney players throwing verbal tantrums, the ego of writers making all their characters must-haves in your party and the degredation of gameplay/roleplay mechanics in favour of prettier graphics meant that it was just easier to have every party member be automatically picked up as necessary.

The people who are put off by that are spoiled, and aren't who these games used to be made for.

She's not required, but is very useful to have, and not just for pure mechanical reasons - Her character development and affect on parts of the story count too. Still doesn't make her a necessity though.

It isn't necessary. You just want everything you can.
It's understandable, but it's still just a "you" issue, and not a fault of the game.

They're there to be used, not hoarded.

No matter how often you say it, it doesn't make it a fact.
I really think you should stop simping for glaringly bad game design. Fun good games can have bad design choices. It doesn't make me spoiled to want all of the characters that the game is balanced around in my play through. Having the character missable entirely is a horrible design choice that made it much harder for the developer later on needing to deal with far more variables. I'm guessing that, but cursory searching shows it is the case. You clearly love the game but it IS a flaw.

Being able to recognize that good things can have flaws is an important part of life that it doesn't seem you have realized yet. Excessive grinding is bad game design. But I love Persona 4 and DQ2 and FFX and a ton of other games with it. Ludicrously high encounter rate is bad game design. But Skies of Arcadia and Shin Megami Tensei 3 and FF9 all have that and I still love them. Missing characters that are clearly required for proper balance in the game is not something I ever love, though. It's bad enough that almost no current games do it and for good reason. There are a lot of missable characters in the Suikoden series but I love that series, you can still easily play it without them characters. Hell, you can miss MOG in ff6 and I still love it to death.

I might eventually love this game, I greatly enjoyed my time with it until I realized I had missed a character that is part of the main cast. You can say she isn't required all you want, but that whole Aka section is designed around her being there. I know that I will eventually come back to it, this game made me actually like a character literally named Cum dump. But I'm definitely wary to to start it again soon, need time to soothe the slap to the face that bad game design choice caused.

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
I wasn't planning to get in this discussion, but really?

I really think you should stop simping for glaringly bad game design.

Excessive grinding is bad game design.

This was a major problem with early JRPGS and the main reason why current day jrpgs don't do it is because it's bad game design.
No it wasn't. It's called classic for a reason. Some people like using walkthroughs/spreadsheets to game, some people love grinding (like me).

Consumer tastes change over time; that's why jrpgs have changed over time. Just like how every other genre - music, tv, etc - has changed over the years.

A good case of this is that the original "space action" game was star raiders, and it sold like hot shit back in the days. Now when we say "space action," games like star wars sells more. It ain't to say one is better than the other, it's that people's tastes have changed (and better technology allows for coding more complex games).

It's not a matter of "good" or "bad." If ya don't like classic style, don't play classic style :)

Also, lol, if ya think this game is tough, try playing Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. Time travel, with like 8 different timelines overlapping each other, and ya gotta remember where is where and what is what.

Last edited:

Deepsea

Apr 20, 2017
On top of that, this is your first time looking at an overhead map for the region, so you have to guess where she's being held--and if you happen to go to Feroholm first, you're locked out without warning and can't retrieve her afterwards.
Simon does mention this and it is about 10 hours into the game for me to get to this point.
Untitled2.png

And since it's the overworld map, shouldn't you want to poke in everywhere? Stark's head in the shrine for instance. This does run counter-intuitive to the time system for this portion of the game however.
Untitled3.png

Altina was always meant to be optional, that's why when going after her it adds +5 days to the . It's a deliberate game design decision that she doesn't have a quest in the quest log but Varia does.

But there is no way I'd play this game without a walkthrough. Enemy elemental weaknesses for example can greatly help you early game.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
There's no indication when you return to the region, many hours and a full chapter later, that this is your one and only chance.
There doesn't need to be an explicit indicator that literally tells the player "Do dis naow!".
Common sense should be enough if you've been paying attention and aren't just going straight to finding Varia.

TLS is a great game, but it's not without its flaws, and this was easily its worst.
Deja vu...

4.40 star(s) 177 Votes