Bonercat

Apr 14, 2021
his grudge for the bartender are in the edgy action "i am gonna kill you for daring selling alcohol to feroholm and insult me for not buying your beer despite someone else will fill up the business after your death shortly after" kind of way, rather than simply not accepting apology for his wife death.

oh yeah also you claim "Killing him didn't resolve the problem but it at least stopped it for how ever short amount of time it was" but simon already raid all his alcohol anyway he pretty much stopped the bartender business "however short amount of time it was" hence his speech of "he was a symptom of a bigger problem" sound like coping when seeing another takeover the bartender business, not considering how extreme his method are when there clearly many alternative option like i have mention, hence my impression at that time the tone or story was mean to be edgy until sierra change it.

in before another reply without actually fully comprehend my comment again with the same copy paste of "he was ruthless because he was weak and have no option boohoo but after he get strong he can do his power fantasy yaay!! suck suck!" which i called bullshit as alternative method already exist when yarra and aka was there.

realistically they would though, considering feroholm are full of alcoholic, they would notice such pile of alcohol taken into a wagon which was such a shore thumb in such place where merchant dont pass by due to being poor place, and especially when their provider get killed and out of business for them to get their alcohol. not considering it still have the church base and guard located there to maintain order (i am not expect them to capture the culprit but the church can certainly add a bounty to the criminal).

yeah, hence why i questioning why early simon even bring altina to such place and accompanied by the hero, simon are pretty thoughless and heartless in the beginning. he can do just fine with only him and the hero as a wrangler to the hero antic, and he wont have any sympathy or depression when the asshole hero die like other has mention. and as i mentioned before the reason it was like that are probably the tone of the story are mean to be dark edgy until sierra change the course or the tone of the story.

Last edited:

Fulminato

Oct 17, 2017
his grudge for the bartender are in the edgy action "i am gonna kill you for daring selling alcohol to feroholm and insult me for not buying your beer despite someone else will fill up the business after your death shortly after" kind of way, rather than simply not accepting apology for his wife death.

no?

Reactions: mahligl

manscout

Jun 13, 2018

oh yeah also you claim "Killing him didn't resolve the problem but it at least stopped it for how ever short amount of time it was" but simon already raid all his alcohol anyway he pretty much stopped the bartender business "however short amount of time it was" hence his speech of "he was a symptom of a bigger problem" sound like coping when seeing another takeover the bartender business, not considering how extreme his method are when there clearly many alternative option like i have mention, hence my impression at that time the tone or story was mean to be edgy until sierra change it.

in before another reply without actually fully comprehend my comment again with the same copy paste of "he was ruthless because he was weak and have no option boohoo but after he get strong he can do his power fantasy yaay!! suck suck!" which i called bullshit as alternative method already exist when yarra and aka was there.

realistically they would though, considering feroholm are full of alcoholic, they would notice such pile of alcohol taken into a wagon which was such a shore thumb in such place where merchant dont pass by due to being poor place, and especially when their provider get killed and out of business for them to get their alcohol. not considering it still have the church base and guard located there to maintain order (i am not expect them to capture the culprit but the church can certainly add a bounty to the criminal).
Simon did not kill the bartender just because he insulted him, Simon brushes off people that insult him all the time during the story. The insults and other generally scummy dialogue by the first bartender are there to quickly establish that he is very aware of the negative impact his business has on Feroholm, but he is just an asshole and simply does not care about the harm he causes, so cut the whole "poor unlucky bartender who was simply selling alcohol with no ill-intent and just happened to come across that psycho old man Simon sob-sob".

Simon killed the bartender because he needed his stock and because he did not care about keeping the bartender alive, no different from how he kills bandits to defend himself and because he does not care to spare them. Or are you going to say the story is edgy because of that and it should instead have Simon take down every single bandit exclusively through non-lethal means and then Yarra does her magic to make every bandit turn themselves in to the authorities?

I agree illusion magic is poorly established, specially early on. The other thing I have seen pointed out is why didn't Yarra use her illusion magic to disguise herself as Qum so we could send Yarra (who was much more willing) to work on the brothel instead of Qum? Maybe Yarra's magic just isn't that strong early on, she can mostly just disguise herself and throw people on sexual stupors and she only learns to do more as she gets stronger. Or maybe Yarra at that point in the story is strongly trying to influence Simon into becoming more ruthless and reckless, like her idea of what an Incubus King should be, so she wouldn't offer to use her powers just so Simon can morally solve everything with magic without ever getting his hands dirty.

And I also do agree the story shifts direction a bit and mostly shies away from morally conflicting actions later on. I'd say the big turning point is probably the 3AW since optimal saves can easily get through that without taking any ruthless actions (never have to raid, only "edgy" action I can remember would probably be having Mestan kill the Aram commander that was going against our war plans). The argument of Simon being more responsible with his power doesn't even show up until late into chapter 5 either, and while I do think it is a good explanation for some of it, I do also think the story softened up first and found an explanation for it later.

But I don't think Simon's character was ever meant to be "edgy" like you are saying, where it is implied he is hiding a darker side, just that the story itself got less "edgy" with how it wanted conflicts to be solved and things to pan out as a reward for players with optimized playthroughs.
yeah, hence why i questioning why early simon even bring altina to such place and accompanied by the hero, simon are pretty thoughless and heartless in the beginning. he can do just fine with only him and the hero as a wrangler to the hero antic, and he wont have any sympathy or depression when the asshole hero die like other has mention. and as i mentioned before the reason it was like that are probably the tone of the story are mean to be dark edgy until sierra change the course or the tone of the story.
We don't know why Altina was there but I really doubt Simon requested her to be there, maybe she volunteered because she wanted to work with Chosen, maybe Simon received orders from the church to let her tag along so she could get some combat experience.

But the important thing to remember is that the prologue mission in the Withered Fortress was never meant to be dangerous, it was supposed to just be a mostly empty hovel of straggled deserters of the IK's army, a really easy task, specially for Kai who was one of the stronger Chosen Simon ever got to work with. Simon lies about it being dangerous or it being a potential base of the Incubus King's army because Chosen are all extremely arrogant and get offended if they are being sent on training missions instead of whatever is the most important task available.

If it had gone as expected, Simon would have probably used Altina's help as a way of convincing Kai that working as team is an important skill for him to learn, and then either kept Altina around for the easier missions or requested that the church relocate her to some other work before she got into harm's way. Things only went really badly because Riala laid a trap there with herself plus a couple of elite succubi, specifically to catch Simon, using information from spies she had within the church, it was something completely unexpected and that Simon couldn't prepare for.

Reactions: mahligl

Goi

Nov 18, 2017
Also a point to remember is Altina would have surpassed Simon as combat capable very quickly because she had a lot of potential, similar to how Simon had so many people pass him as fighters with much less effort.

But yeah was meant to be an easy mission to the point mr might straight up run of a cliff to death, as the record holder for fastest death of chosen did would survive.

4.50 star(s) 190 Votes