Others Abandoned The Mercenary King [v0.8] [Noxurtica]

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
This is way too much to throw at the player right at the very start, next to no context for what is going on either. You're also blocking the player from even progressing by starting with this super tedious battle that is still challenging even on the casual difficulty. The map is also way too large for convenient traversal and you start with far too many troops (takes like a minute just to move move them all. The H content and art looked nice from the preview images, but i'll be dammed if im slugging through that first mission just to get to it...

Serkyan

Nov 22, 2017
I agree with Fealow, the first battle is tedious with the unnecessarily large map. I tried powering through it to see more of the game, but decided to call it quits halfway through because it took so fucking long to even end my own turn. For a prologue map there are too many troops on both sides, battle is doable, but takes too much even on casual to get through enemies.

A few things should be outright reworked if you plan on continuing this. Personally I don't see this being finished, given the track record with this type of game, but I'm looking forward to more nonetheless, I really like strategy games.

Reactions: grgrgr5 and jazz154

MadHacker

Dec 23, 2017
So, I finally got around to playing the game.
Here's my short little review for the players. It's definitely too much for a beginner, but anyone who has played a game of the Shining Force (just the earliest example I also remember the name of) style before should find it fairly easy. The expert difficult just seems like being dropped in the middle of a Shining Force game without character spells and after battle revives. It simplifies it but also makes unit deaths damn near inevitable (without save-scumming) since the number of units is increased and the quality of each is decreased.

As for advice to the developer, if you want to make this style of game, remember that new players don't know the mechanics ahead of time and won't willingly struggle through the unexplained menus to figure out mechanics (I did that to figure out which units to use on what, since the information given was a little too short and fast for my thick skull to get it). The key rock-paper-scissor style (which is slightly more difficult than that of a Fire Emblem game since appearances are less clear) of this game is barely mentioned and dropping people into a game with 7 or 8 different unit styles (especially with unit styles the player themselves does not have - like squire) with expert/veteran units and Hero units is essentially throwing people in the deep end just after telling them the basics of swimming in 20 words or less. I'd definitely advise a tutorial level to explain the mechanics of units with time to chew over the explanations between turns (i.e. turns between each new mechanic mentioned). Most easily accomplished by, say, a battle with tiered encounters where you fight groups of certain enemy types and the main or supporting characters tells you what to do to deal with each. Much easier for beginners to stomach than that better, but still rather rapid fire approach, is a series of battles where you slowly build up your forces (and introduce named units) from one to three units up to something like 10 to 30. It accomplishes the earlier example by letting you learn each character and their unit type one at a time and cementing the value of careful movements and planning to the players over a series of easier and shorter battles.
As for the trading mechanic, it seems interesting and rather similar to what I remember from Shining Force but rather inconvenient considering the scale of this game. When you have this many characters, keeping track of and maneuvering all the items will be tedious at best and horribly annoying at worst. I'd advise a party inventory style centralization of items (like the average rpg game on this site).
Also, I rather like the rescue spell and after-action movement, it's an interesting idea for diving in deeply for attacks on archers without writing a suicide note and maks retreating viable and deadly to the enemy through rescues on front-line units hanging back as a rear guard (and with the after-action movement you don't have to risk your units capable of rescuing). It's a fantastic use of a spell that I've never seen in any of the games of this type and an cool twist on the usual movement of characters in this type of game. It's clear you've got some good ideas and I'd love to see more of this game (even if it didn't have the H-scenes).
Edit: Oh yeah, and I like the music choice.
Anyway, keep up the good work.

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
It is stuck to the engine that the escape key exits the game? Because if that is an option that can go, it really should. Otherwise, this seems like it could be a good start.
We're looking into it. We'll try to have it changed in our next update.

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
This is way too much to throw at the player right at the very start, next to no context for what is going on either. You're also blocking the player from even progressing by starting with this super tedious battle that is still challenging even on the casual difficulty. The map is also way too large for convenient traversal and you start with far too many troops (takes like a minute just to move move them all. The H content and art looked nice from the preview images, but i'll be dammed if im slugging through that first mission just to get to it...
We're working on fixing the first level. The feedback here has been very helpful. We plan to release another demo with the updated changes. Hope you give it another go then.

Reactions: someone10

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
I agree with Fealow, the first battle is tedious with the unnecessarily large map. I tried powering through it to see more of the game, but decided to call it quits halfway through because it took so fucking long to even end my own turn. For a prologue map there are too many troops on both sides, battle is doable, but takes too much even on casual to get through enemies.

A few things should be outright reworked if you plan on continuing this. Personally I don't see this being finished, given the track record with this type of game, but I'm looking forward to more nonetheless, I really like strategy games.
We've been making adjustments based on the feedback. Hope you'll try the next demo and have a more enjoyable experience.

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
So, I finally got around to playing the game.
Here's my short little review for the players. It's definitely too much for a beginner, but anyone who has played a game of the Shining Force (just the earliest example I also remember the name of) style before should find it fairly easy. The expert difficult just seems like being dropped in the middle of a Shining Force game without character spells and after battle revives. It simplifies it but also makes unit deaths damn near inevitable (without save-scumming) since the number of units is increased and the quality of each is decreased.

As for advice to the developer, if you want to make this style of game, remember that new players don't know the mechanics ahead of time and won't willingly struggle through the unexplained menus to figure out mechanics (I did that to figure out which units to use on what, since the information given was a little too short and fast for my thick skull to get it). The key rock-paper-scissor style (which is slightly more difficult than that of a Fire Emblem game since appearances are less clear) of this game is barely mentioned and dropping people into a game with 7 or 8 different unit styles (especially with unit styles the player themselves does not have - like squire) with expert/veteran units and Hero units is essentially throwing people in the deep end just after telling them the basics of swimming in 20 words or less. I'd definitely advise a tutorial level to explain the mechanics of units with time to chew over the explanations between turns (i.e. turns between each new mechanic mentioned). Most easily accomplished by, say, a battle with tiered encounters where you fight groups of certain enemy types and the main or supporting characters tells you what to do to deal with each. Much easier for beginners to stomach than that better, but still rather rapid fire approach, is a series of battles where you slowly build up your forces (and introduce named units) from one to three units up to something like 10 to 30. It accomplishes the earlier example by letting you learn each character and their unit type one at a time and cementing the value of careful movements and planning to the players over a series of easier and shorter battles.
As for the trading mechanic, it seems interesting and rather similar to what I remember from Shining Force but rather inconvenient considering the scale of this game. When you have this many characters, keeping track of and maneuvering all the items will be tedious at best and horribly annoying at worst. I'd advise a party inventory style centralization of items (like the average rpg game on this site).
Also, I rather like the rescue spell, it's an interesting idea for diving in deeply for attacks on archers without writing a suicide note or making retreating viable and deadly to the enemy through rescues on front-line units hanging back as a rear guard. It's a fantastic use of a spell that I've never seen in any of the games of this type. It's clear you've got some good ideas and I'd love to see more of this game (even if it didn't have the H-scenes).
Edit: Oh yeah, and I like the music choice.
Anyway, keep up the good work.
Thank you for your advice and feedback. We'll definitely take your advice into account on our next demo release.

ronney

May 6, 2017
to be fair the esc key thing is a default setting I assume with all srpg studio games.

Miskarias

Feb 1, 2019
I am guessing that chapter 6 isnt developed yet. Managed to burst through to chap 6 on both an evil and a good playthrough(not sacking town vs sacking/being kind vs having way with) and there is no units, no vic conditions or defeat conditions. Guessing that i am too far for this version?

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes