Others Abandoned The Mercenary King [v0.8] [Noxurtica]

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes

juanito

Jun 19, 2017
It's the same person, and the games is also on f95 and it's patreon link lead to the same guy (no page just profile), but posted by someone else. It was last updated 5/30/2019 and was released 5/06/2019.
T.T my hope is at an all-time low but I'll still hold on to it until 2020 at the least

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
First battle is far too complex with no context whatsoever. I'm not about to start reading menus and learning systems for a game that hasn't done anything to draw me in in the first place. Let me see what the game is about before making me undertake some huge and seemingly pointless battle whose rules and controls aren't even clear to begin with.

I'd have just passed it by if the art on the green eyed girl wasn't so good. But it's not worth trying to figure out that mess at the beginning. What a shame.

maxdrell

Jun 7, 2017
In regards to the Knightess, do you get anything fro releasing her or is she remove from the story? Doing a good guy run but I really don't wanna lose out on a whole chunk of content by letting her go, is there any benefit to releasing her?

Last edited:

LewdTheLolis

Friendly Neighborhood Lolilewder
Oct 1, 2018
The Mercenary King is about a mercenary that wants to take over a kingdom and become its king.
here I was thinking that this was going to be one of those games where you really had to think about how they came up with the title

• Haha
Reactions: juanito

m1ke

Aug 21, 2018
What I learned from the game so far:

Units that fall in battle wont be removed from your party. They'll come back during the intermission.
You can only save at the beginning of your turn. Once you do an action on a unit, you won't be able to save until the beginning of your next turn.
Your unit levels up once its exp hits 100 or above. And random attribute(s) will receive +1 boost. If you dont like the boost you're receiving, you can reload the round and do an action on other unit to generate exp to re-seed the boost rng. Still not liking the boost? Reload again, and do an additional action of top of the previous extra action to re-re-seed the boost rng.
Use your bonus points (bp) on the electric book, and attaches it on the mage. Its OP af. Your mage should be able to one-shot / one-shot counter your opponent's backlines now.
If you have extra gold, buy your priest a book so that he doesn't have to frontline and take hits to gain exp.

Storyline wise:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
In regards to the Knightess, do you get anything fro releasing her or is she remove from the story? Doing a good guy run but I really don't wanna lose out on a whole chunk of content by letting her go, is there any benefit to releasing her?
Yes, sex scenes and story changes based on your choice.

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
First battle is far too complex with no context whatsoever. I'm not about to start reading menus and learning systems for a game that hasn't done anything to draw me in in the first place. Let me see what the game is about before making me undertake some huge and seemingly pointless battle whose rules and controls aren't even clear to begin with.

I'd have just passed it by if the art on the green eyed girl wasn't so good. But it's not worth trying to figure out that mess at the beginning. What a shame.
That's a fair criticism. We'll try to improve the tutorial, move the first stage back, and work on a better hook for the story.

maxdrell

Jun 7, 2017
Yes, sex scenes and story changes based on your choice.
Ah okay, also as others have said, may need to work on the intro. Personally I had no problems going deep end first, but as an old hand at Fire Emblem I could manage fine. New players maybe might suffer.

Dunno if it helps, but here's an idea. Try fleshing out the intro by adding a CG showing our Merc King, could help with engaging the player before being thrown into gameplay. Attach a short starter battle (4-5 units on each side max, no mage on the enemy side since they can wipe you early on) onto the intro, an ambush on the road to the first town with everybody within attacking reach on the first turn. Make sure you skip the stage setup screen, the starter locations being preset with all units set up so the enemy closest to it is weak in the weapons triangle. Put some of the starter information in there, like movement and attacking, but don't introduce the weapon tree concepts or the terrain concepts until the town mission. Just a nice and easy battle to ease some concepts in before going full ham on the Town battle. Make sure to add a mission setup tutorial (explaining positioning and Convoy) as well before the Town battle since that's currently missing.

Reactions: Noxurtica

yanderepls

Nov 10, 2017
Noxurtica i have a suggestion for you:
Archers stationed on top of towers shouldn't be able to get attacked by melee units unless they are in the base of the tower. A couple of times i stationed heavy infantry in the base of the tower and archers in the tower itself only to have some random cavalry attack my archers. It doesn't make sense. Like how do their spears reach the top of the tower?

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
Ah okay, also as others have said, may need to work on the intro. Personally I had no problems going deep end first, but as an old hand at Fire Emblem I could manage fine. New players maybe might suffer.

Dunno if it helps, but here's an idea. Try fleshing out the intro by adding a CG showing our Merc King, could help with engaging the player before being thrown into gameplay. Attach a short starter battle (4-5 units on each side max, no mage on the enemy side since they can wipe you early on) onto the intro, an ambush on the road to the first town with everybody within attacking reach on the first turn. Make sure you skip the stage setup screen, the starter locations being preset with all units set up so the enemy closest to it is weak in the weapons triangle. Put some of the starter information in there, like movement and attacking, but don't introduce the weapon tree concepts or the terrain concepts until the town mission. Just a nice and easy battle to ease some concepts in before going full ham on the Town battle. Make sure to add a mission setup tutorial (explaining positioning and Convoy) as well before the Town battle since that's currently missing.
Great ideas, we were thinking along the same lines. Thanks for your input.

Noxurtica

Game Developer
Mar 3, 2019
Noxurtica i have a suggestion for you:
Archers stationed on top of towers shouldn't be able to get attacked by melee units unless they are in the base of the tower. A couple of times i stationed heavy infantry in the base of the tower and archers in the tower itself only to have some random cavalry attack my archers. It doesn't make sense. Like how do their spears reach the top of the tower?
It's a good point in terms of immersion. We'll have to see how that would fit in the game's balance, as towers are fairly powerful already and can be manned by infantry as well. We will definitely keep this in mind.

notforresale

Sep 23, 2018
is an SRPG Studio extractor that should get you the images you want. The stuff you're looking for should be in the runtime.rts file.
How do you make use of this? I've been trying to make it work, but the read me is terrible and I can't figure it out.

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes