adanu

Mar 28, 2020
I always love the cope post where people try to brow beat your criticism with "it's slow burn, SLOW BURN!":ROFLMAO:It always seems to be code for nothing of value happens, but to be fair this is very early in development so I'm sure the pace will even out over time.
Given how early it is, I can excuse things being barebones. My problem comes from the people who seem to have never played games that are about story and not a treadmill. WOW mindset has infected so many it's disturbing.

Reactions: Eland51298

Casted420

Mar 4, 2020
Given how early it is, I can excuse things being barebones. My problem comes from the people who seem to have never played games that are about story and not a treadmill. WOW mindset has infected so many it's disturbing.
You can almost hear the reeeing of the Farming Simulator franchise fans.

• Haha
Reactions: 420691312

Jinp

Jan 17, 2018
This game is not a visual novel where all events happen automatically in a linear order, this is a sandbox game with a main history.

You can choose what to do in Null daily activities, also any game that have any sort of progression system can be considered grind as you need to perform some basic action and repeat it to progress, if you are expecting a visual novel where you can hold ctrl until a sex scene appears this game is not for you. Yes we will add more events, but in the end they are like the ones we already, (written) have but with different things happening.

Trust and love is representing your connection and intimacy with the character as daily life events happens, it needs to be this way and it is this way, this is a game, there will be only a finite ways of increasing those representative values after all.

If you do not enjoy the game writing at all i suggest to go play something else.

Jinp

Jan 17, 2018
ShinyBoots1993 could you ask if it is an oversight that all of the model3.json files specifically reference png files, but all the images in the folders referenced are webp?
I will edit this later with Ron official reply, but for now my answer is that webp is considerably a new compression and quality retention method, i'm sure you know that just saying for people that are curious of what is this.

But as i said, it's a better method of optimization for images, perfect for a game like this one, so in my personal opinion is probably not an oversight.

Raphael98

Dec 22, 2022
But as i said, it's a better method of optimization for images, perfect for a game like this one, so in my personal opinion is probably not an oversight.
I'm not saying they should be PNGs (I agree that webp is the better format*). I'm saying that the json files are referencing images that technically don't exist. Until JoiPlay's Renpy plugin gets updated to a version that is compatible with the live2dmodel 'change_color' attribute/function, it won't be known if JoiPlay will still error on this or not, but it was one of the hurdles I found in trying to get it to work. It's looking for png files and they aren't there. The json files should be changed to reference the webp images that do exist. Or changed to be format agnostic, but I am not sure if that's possible.

*until Renpy supports jpeg-xl

Last edited:

Thwip!

May 13, 2018
The massage part of Rogue-like was too annoying to figure out the right order. I looked up the right order in the code, but quickly lost interest to repeat this.
It's not a lot of fun if you have to constantly check spreadsheets to look up what to do in a game.

if the main quest objective events in TNH are a bit more delayed, then the waiting time for relationship events won't feel such a drag in the long run.
At least I have faith in v0.6 to further increase the general enjoyment of the game.
Yeah, but here's the thing:
It was always optional in RL:E. Meaning, if you wanted to do it, that option was always there. If you didn't, then no content was skipped and your experience wasn't negatively impacted.

I'm sure it would be optional in this game too.

freddygonzo

Apr 26, 2024
Yeah, but here's the thing:
It was always optional in RL:E. Meaning, if you wanted to do it, that option was always there. If you didn't, then no content was skipped and your experience wasn't negatively impacted.

I'm sure it would be optional in this game too.
Of course.
I totally missed doing dates in RL either for a while, as I was too busy earning all these first-time point bonuses among each girl to quickly level their stats up. A lot of activity there is optional as it is mainly a sandbox game with its own flair. More options are always welcomed.
Luckily, the flow to fool around in RL is still fast enough that you don't waste so much time going through them. The threesomes are fun, especially if it is a surprise visit.

In TNH, you simply have more character depth by story talks, so having fun with the girls should really feel more special; at least at beginning. You get your points mainly by dialogues and there is hardly any grind as long as the optional events don't popup too quickly and you reach the end of summer before the friendship/date/love side quests can catch up.
It's maybe inconvenient for players coming first from RL, like me, to wrongly expect the same gameplay.

Let's see what 0.6 brings. The achievement shop could at least offer some motivation and compensation for doing whatever (new) activity.

Reactions: Humalien and Thwip!

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
I'm not saying they should be PNGs (I agree that webp is the better format*). I'm saying that the json files are referencing images that technically don't exist. Until JoiPlay's Renpy plugin gets updated to a version that is compatible with the live2dmodel 'change_color' attribute/function, it won't be known if JoiPlay will still error on this or not, but it was one of the hurdles I found in trying to get it to work. It's looking for png files and they aren't there. The json files should be changed to reference the webp images that do exist. Or changed to be format agnostic, but I am not sure if that's possible.

*until Renpy supports jpeg-xl
It's not an oversight - Live2D's jsons always expect pngs, and I'm too lazy to convert the text in those files to "webp" every time I export a model into the game. I just have my version of Ren'Py look for webps instead of pngs when it's loading Live2D models. It's a dirty workaround while the models are still being actively edited.

Also, JoiPlay's Ren'Py will probably never get the change_color function - it's something I wrote in my own Ren'Py build. Why do you want JoiPlay functionality? We provide an APK?

Raphael98

Dec 22, 2022
Also, JoiPlay's Ren'Py will probably never get the change_color function - it's something I wrote in my own Ren'Py build. Why do you want JoiPlay functionality? We provide an APK?
I like having the ability to play on my PC, my tablet, and my phone, and swap between them easily (can't take my PC when I'm travelling, don't have a laptop). I put the Windows versions of games on a USB-C flashdrive, and create symbolic links in the Renpy Appdata folder on my PC, pointing to the save folders that JoiPlay puts inside the game folders. So whether I play on PC, tablet, or phone, the saves go to the same place and are there no matter which device I play on. Renpy sync doesn't work for every game, and this method also doesn't require uploading, downloading, or typing in 10 character codes.

Last edited:

Greymantle

Jan 11, 2018
I tried a search on my problem, and got 11 pages of responses in the thread, so... No, I won't read it all.

It appears to be a recurring problem, but I'm unable to date Jean even if Rogue and X-23 both gave me their blessing. I'm on the first day of Spring, if relevant and I'm currently at 601 Love/530 Trust with Jean. Did I miss something ?

Raphael98

Dec 22, 2022
Yes in the "game" subfolder you have the "version" file, it was 8.3.0 I think the last time I checked. Which is the nightly built? I tried to just modify the version number in the file to the one used buy the new joiplay, sadly it runs, but doesn't load the waifus' pics, as it's lacking a live2D import. So it's not really a "Visual" Novel anymore...
With the new iteration of joiplay, and the way it's now handling the renpy's plugins I have hope for an update for 8.3.X. plugin
Alright, so far I seem to have gotten it working on JoiPlay. I might still encounter more things JoiPlay doesn't like, because I haven't fully tested it, that will take a while. If I do, or if you or others do, let me know. I'll try to update.

Steps:
- Download TheNullHypothesis, and use Unren or a similar tool to unpack the archives
- Download the the game folder I've attached below, unzip it, drag it into the TheNullHypothesis folder (the one that contains the game folder), and overwrite files when prompted
- Add the game to JoiPlay, then long press on the game, select edit, click the Type box, and select "Ren'Py (Python3)"

This is just for 0.5b, things might change in future updates. The files in the game folder I've attached change the contents of the model3.json files to point to the webp images instead of pngs, and the script files have had portions related to the change_color function commented out.

Reactions: nonospot

FacelessVixen

Aug 25, 2017
I tried a search on my problem, and got 11 pages of responses in the thread, so... No, I won't read it all.

It appears to be a recurring problem, but I'm unable to date Jean even if Rogue and X-23 both gave me their blessing. I'm on the first day of Spring, if relevant and I'm currently at 601 Love/530 Trust with Jean. Did I miss something ?
All girls need 600 trust (and to like each other enough) to form the harem.

Reactions: armond

nonospot

May 15, 2020
This is just for 0.5b, things might change in future updates. The files in the game folder I've attached change the contents of the model3.json files to point to the webp images instead of pngs, and the script files have had portions related to the change_color function commented out.
Nice! I'm gonna try later ty for the share!

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes