doizoid.

Feb 23, 2023
I've been a Deadpool fan for about 25 years at this point, since the original Joe Kelly run. There has been some real low points but he's been a constant for me.
I've watched the movies and I really enjoyed the first one (2nd one was meh). Will I enjoy the comics, do they have a similar tone as the movies? Can you recommend a starting point? Or should I just start with issue 1

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
I tried to get the entire X-23 collection a month or so again, and all the torrents I found where either in my language or from 2010-2013, so they were never seeding.
If you google "Download X-23 comics," you should get some sites like GetComics.info, that allow you to download them straight, without worrying whether a torrent is seeded or not. When I was talking about the "every comic published that year" bit, I was thinking more of the olden days; those torrents I saw back then ("DC Comics Chronology - Revised" and "Complete Marvel Chronology") went all the way back to the 1930's. There's also the MTCDC-NMC, which collected every DC Comic ever (spread across 50 or 60 torrents), in alphabetical instead of chronological order. Not sure if Marvel has anything like that, but again, there are websites that just have comics as straight downloads (but those are probably all English, so if you're looking for a different language, I don't know anything about that).

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
(but those are probably all English, so if you're looking for a different language, I don't know anything about that).
I've never once bought or read a comic in Portuguese, if they're anything like the movies, shows and whateva' they suck.
I actually tried reading the third and fourth chapter of Innocence Lost in my language since they were direct downloads, but I just couldn't - I got chapter three in English a bit before the Portuguese was done downloading and there it was. Lots of lingo and disgusting changes of words that alter an entire sentence.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
Will I enjoy the comics, do they have a similar tone as the movies? Can you recommend a starting point?
A little while back, I was in a library and started reading a random Deadpool collection I grabbed off the shelf. It seemed to have a strong vibe of "people who saw the movie(s) are gonna be reading this now, so we need to make it more like that," which is pretty common for comicbooks (since their audience is a lot smaller than movies). Characters who were killed in the comics have been brought back to life to make the comics more like the movies. Or sometimes even more elaborate measures; Nick Fury in the regular Marvel universe was white, and then they had a whole storyline about how he had son with a black woman, and then "Nick Fury Jr." (who's an adult now, because original Nick Fury is old as shit) also joined SHIELD and lost his eye, and everyone just stopped mentioning the "Jr." part, so that Nick Fury in the regular comics continuity would be more like Nick Fury in the MCU.

Point being, if you enjoyed the movies and want to read comics that have a similar tone, I would say do a little research into which story arc or new creative team started after the movie came out. Those are probably the ones most likely to evoke a similar feel. (There also might already be listicles of "comics you should read if you liked the Deadpool movies" on nerd websites, but those might be older comics that have storylines or characters that inspired elements of the movies, rather than newer comics with a similar tone.)

Incidentally, have you ever seen Once Upon a Deadpool, the PG-13 rerelease of Deadpool 2? You have to put up with "fuck" being beeped out (unless you're lucky enough to be in possession of a fan-edit that integrates those scenes back into the R-rated version), but I personally think the Fred Savage scenes are indispensably hilarious. There are so many times when he says exactly what I'm thinking. Like one time when he says he's more a fan of the Marvel movies, and Deadpool says "we are Marvel," and Fred points out the quality difference between MCU movies and Marvel licensed by Fox. Maybe jokes like that are more for the hardcore fans, but I found him to be a great audience surrogate character for me personally, and it really added an extra layer of humor to the movie.

Also, I think my entry point to being a Deadpool fan (before the movies came out) was not any of the comics, but the 2014 video game starring Deadpool. It's not available anymore (through official sources, but you can buy discs on eBay if you want legitimacy), but a lot of reviews seemed to pan the gameplay anyway. You're just as well watching a video of it on Youtube so you can focus entirely on the jokes (EDIT: I thought would be a fun way to watch the game, because Ryan Reynolds himself is one of the people playing it, but it's more like an interview where you don't ever see the humor or cutscenes). It leans a lot more heavily on the fourth wall than the movies did (Deadpool is constantly talking about how he's in a video game, referencing High Moon, the developer of the game, and sometimes even consulting the game's script), so if you want something more grounded, that ain't the way to go. But if you like the wacky surrealistic humor, that game is a real gem.

Last edited:

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
Lots of lingo and disgusting changes of words that alter an entire sentence.
Yeah, I've occasionally watched shows from other countries where the audio is in the original language and the subtitles are in English. I might have like an elementary school level of knowledge in the language, enough to be like "hey, that word they just said was not anywhere in the subtitles." Really makes you wonder what else they might be changing.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Yeah, I've occasionally watched shows from other countries where the audio is in the original language and the subtitles are in English. I might have like an elementary school level of knowledge in the language, enough to be like "hey, that word they just said was not anywhere in the subtitles." Really makes you wonder what else they might be changing.
Yeah, I don't trust new Portuguese translations. They're done by young adults who really just want the money - it's all outsourced, it's ridiculous.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
In the first two pictures with the curly hair... uff. Redheads with curly hair are automatic 10/10's for me - I've dated a model, and a girl who was unapologecatily a 10/10, but a redhead with curly hair hits different to me.
I dated a girl who looked like a model and dyed her hair red after we started dating. Best two years of my life.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I imagine there's a bigger context to this image? I rather like it, if it's to be taken at a face value - seems like something a guy like Superman would say.
Nightwing was feeling self conscious about being a solo hero. He met Superman and they were having a chat. Security guard comes in thinking they're drunk teenagers, in many places they do have guards patrolling parks to catch people drinking and doing drugs at 2AM, and finds them instead. The panel I shared was what happened after he found them.

What I like about this moment is that Superman GENUINELY believes what he says.

To Superman, protecting the innocent and upholding justice is something of respect. Be you a mall cop, a neighborhood watch member, or a security guard at an office building. Superman genuinely believes these people to be his EQUAL. He's not naïve, he knows he's a god among men. However, it's his core belief that it's not WHAT you are but WHO you are is what's important. This is why Batman, a street level hero, willing to fight side by side with sometimes literal gods is his best friend.

It's why I hate stories that turn both characters into edgy sadists. Which was becoming a lot more common around the time I stopped reading DC.

The two I read?
Yes.

What's Styx?
The book that introduced X-23 into comics and made her a 14-16 year old prostitute.

Don't look 'im up
Too late.

he'll ruin feminine boys for you
No he didn't. :BootyTime:

He also made transplants
Oh, lame.

so less of a femboy and more of a trans.
Good for them.

And I think I got my timeline confused? 'Cause the Wiki says Laura first appearead on Evolution, but she was darker skinned from the pictures I saw; she actually looked like a Latina, which is what Logan suggested and what went over my head in RLE.
X-23 first showed up in X-Men Evolution and was modeled after the show creator's daughter.

Joe Quesada, someone very much disliked among the dev team, brought her into the comic books as a teenage prostitute in Styx.

Her creator from the show eventually came on to write the two books you read and a bunch of her other content.

No one has bothered writing comics set in between her origin story and her first debut in Styx because there's no justification for what Joe Quesada did.

He just likes to include edgy and creepy sex stuff into comics. For perspective, he's also the dude who made Quick Silver and Scarlet witch have incest sex while Wolverine watched.

He listens to audiobook instead of reading - give it a try
People keep telling me this and I do need to just find something since I listen to a lot of stuff on youtube.

"hey, that word they just said was not anywhere in the subtitles."
Play Civilization 5 or Civilization 6. It can get comical as none line up.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
He just likes to include edgy and creepy sex stuff into comics. For perspective, he's also the dude who made Quick Silver and Scarlet witch have incest sex while Wolverine watched.
In fairness, this is probably the one discussion forum where that's pretty much par for the course.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
What I like about this moment is that Superman GENUINELY believes what he says.

To Superman, protecting the innocent and upholding justice is something of respect. Be you a mall cop, a neighborhood watch member, or a security guard at an office building. Superman genuinely believes these people to be his EQUAL. He's not naïve, he knows he's a god among men. However, it's his core belief that it's not WHAT you are but WHO you are is what's important. This is why Batman, a street level hero, willing to fight side by side with sometimes literal gods is his best friend.
That's who I've always thought Superman was, even as a kid as my father nerded out about superheros. A guy who genuinely believed in the good even with how exclusive he is to the world he lives in.

Innocence Lost is really, just terribly, good. But Target-X? Really? Shiny, it's really bad.

The book that introduced X-23 into comics and made her a 14-16 year old prostitute.
I'll never feel bad about stopping at Target-X, never.

Too late.
No he didn't.
Oh, lame.
Good for them.
He is just the most breedable fucking thing in existence. I had all of his OnlyFan content on my computer a year or so back, he had the tiniest little cock and, damn, the ass on that petite body...

X-23 first showed up in X-Men Evolution and was modeled after the show creator's daughter.

Joe Quesada, someone very much disliked among the dev team, brought her into the comic books as a teenage prostitute in Styx.

Her creator from the show eventually came on to write the two books you read and a bunch of her other content.

No one has bothered writing comics set in between her origin story and her first debut in Styx because there's no justification for what Joe Quesada did.

That's disgusting. Did Styx come before Innocence Lost?

In fairness, this is probably the one discussion forum where that's pretty much par for the course.
With what I've just said, it's not exactly easy to defend myself, but I think it's somewhat different. These are just words of mostly mockery and no-ill intent - what that dude made was conciously direct, he wrote and gave the go ahead to print disgusting degenerate stuff into silly superhero comics.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
I just meant that I haven't actually played Behind the Doom yet. It's in a list of games I intend to play at some point, but I might not get around to it any time soon, because there are so many other games in that list.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
It's just games I've found on this site and bookmarked. I don't know if we necessarily have the same kinks or interests (I really like a lot of disgusting degenerate stuff).

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
I mean, we've both dated models in the past so something must have been gone wrong in our lifes to makes us equal like that.
I mean, Taissa was an alright girl, how was your model?

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
I mean, we've both dated models in the past so something must have been gone wrong in our lifes to makes us equal like that.
I mean, Taissa was an alright girl, how was your model?
She wasn't actually a model, she just had the looks to be one. There were a lot of things I liked about her, but I guess she never really accepted me for who I am.

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes