VN Unity The Overlord Isn't Another Isekai Protagonist, Is He? [v0.5 Alpha] [PinkChinChin]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Hellaborn

Mar 19, 2020
This game was such high quality in VA apartment I am legit shocked. Killer stuff. I can't wait for more. Once I got money, I am 100 percent becoming a patron.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Vyndoriesh

anminter17

Sep 8, 2017
Very much interesting chapter one. I don't usually give feedbacks and more so when the game is at his first release but I'm really looking forward to see what comes next, storywise caught my interest and i love the art style. Good work for next updates, i'll seriously consider to support the game financially if you keep this quality.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Vyndoriesh

SunlessXre

Oct 9, 2020
probably a dumb question to ask. but since the premise sounds interesting, i really have to know.

is this a novel with pictures and maybe a choice every hour. or a game?
i personally have little interest in novels. i'm here for games.

this isn't a knock on those who like that. just a question.

• Angry
Reactions: FFTW

Vyndoriesh

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
probably a dumb question to ask. but since the premise sounds interesting, i really have to know.

is this a novel with pictures and maybe a choice every hour. or a game?
i personally have little interest in novels. i'm here for games.

this isn't a knock on those who like that. just a question.
It's a visual novel with a LOT of choices and a few point and click elements.

SunlessXre

Oct 9, 2020
Well, Finished it yesterday. Not a review.Just writing my thoughts for anyone else who is thinking of playing this.

This was interesting.
The writing is really good, and the English voice actors are pretty high quality for the most part.

The story is very western, for those like myself who came for the title lol.

Don't expect the 5 dere's, typical isekai protagonist, Japano "western world" fantasy aesthetics, serious adventure! or other typical j elements.

That isn't to say it isn't heavily inspired by anime. But it very much follows more the typical writing and aesthetics(but not art style), of anime inspired cal arts, than of anime. It IS well written though. Unlike some of the cal arts cartoons.(I honestly hate cal arts cartoons. I liked this)

Being a modern western work. it has alot of elements you expect.
like laughing at itself and pop culture, not taking itself too seriously, and playing the parody of the tropes kind of thing, rather than trying to be wholly original, or dialing the camp up to 11 and playing it straight.
And the game has a bit of that TV drama feel of modern netflix series. Which I admittedly don't watch or care about.

Your character works for a "lawful evil" devil dream factory, that creates "dark" and sexy dating sims.
With the setting taking place in a biblical hell, which like most modern western works, is basically just sleazy urban america, with horned CEOs, and evil capitalism.

Personally, I found the setting boring, and would have preferred a more classical, or medieval depiction of hell. Or even a j style one, like the typical "demon faction".
I don't understand the appeal of new York, But with brimstone and bad bussiness!

But that's just me. Moving on.

There is gameplay in this. Mostly it involves clicking around the current scene, and looking for interactable objects and clues for forwarding the story, or collecting items that sometimes have a use later.
So a bit like a simplistic and very linear adventure game.
You only leave a scene to forward the story. I'd chock it up to 70-80% playtime is reading, with a choice every 10 or so minutes(sometimes you get quite a few in a scene), and a 3-5minute adventure game sequence.
Alot of choices appear to be the kind of illusion of choice.
Basically flavour text, or they seem to alter how characters perceive you, but don't alter the course of the story.
From what I can understand. The game has 1 linear track, with 1 or 2 swapped out scenes in between based on a dichotomy choice(hang out with character 1, or character 2, during this pivotal moment).

And presumably, based on earlier flavour options or personality affirming choices. minor changes or bonus scenes based on how a character feels about those choices.
I'm not 100% if that Is the case though. They may just be purely flavour options.

In general. This game is split into 2 seamless gameplay loops.
A linear visual novel, with moments of flavour options and choices. And a linear adventure game sequence, where there is only 1 solution, and no negative consequences.(again. This is as far as I could tell).

Honestly, I didn't mind this that much. I generally avoid visual novels, cause I don't like to play games that are linear, or don't feature gameplay. In general, I struggle to immerse myself in such experiences, especially if I don't like the story or characters.

But. The little adventure segments did add to my engagement with the story, and made me feel more immersed. In general, I think allowing is plater to get hands on with an experience, an feel like what they're doing matters goes A long way, even if it doesn't make much of an impact.

I would have preferred alot more flavour text options, and choices. Especially as someone who mainly likes western style rpgs.

In general, I don't like to play fixed protagonists. I prefer, even in games with predefined protagonists, to be able to mold a character into my own and live the experience through them, rather than watch someone else's story from the sidelines.

A comparison that may help better explain this, is witcher 3, or mass effect vs final fantasy, or any j rpg really.
In mass effect, you always play as commander Shepard. Ignoring the character creator, class selector(which has no effect on the story anyway), and the 3 background options. your character is predefined, and already set up for you.
But, you get to decide their actions. you get to shape their destiny, and you get to experience them grow along with you.
Opposed to final fantasy where you watch your protagonist grow without you, make decisions you don't think they should make, and act in a way you at times think is stupid or annoying.

This game feels more like a final fantasy. You can give the mc a nudge every now and then. But for the most part, you are simply a sad stilled spirit, unable to interact with the world in view. Left Stuck, staring as the unchangeable events unfold.

---------
Well. I've indulged myself enough lol.
Either way, I'll probably keep tracking this. I did enjoy the game, although its not at all what I was expecting or hoping. Not in terms of gameplay. But in terms of setting, aesthetics and writing.

As a trashy isekai addict, I was admittedly hoping I'd found an interactive ero experience in a light novel world.

The title sounded like a very typical trashy light novel one, and The picture reminded me of how not to summon a demon lord, alot.
I was thinking. "Yes! Omg, I get to play as diablo, and sleep with sweet sultry sexy demon girls, With hell as my playground!!".

I did like the 2 girls. They grew on me as i played. And all the other characters were well done. Even if I found them boring or undesirable, aesthetically and personably
(I really wanted that lamia though lol.).

I'll leave it here

Reactions: zack200

agregen

Oct 28, 2019
Just in case it wasn't clear, there will be completely independent story paths for players to follow as they wish. There will be no railroading to either gay or straight relationships in-game; as long as you can stomach allusions to possible gay interactions, you'll be just fine.
M/F scenes include: Titjob, Bj and some naked CGS
M/M scenes include: Bj and hj
That's the kind of thing you may want to have in OP…
Because while there's a gay tag, there's no straight tag here (and many games marked as ‘gay’ have no straight content).

…And yes, there's a titfuck tag, but it takes careful attention to notice it (also due to r34 I'm pretty sure there's some brain-bleach tier stuff out there that features titfuck without a woman :HideThePain:)

P.S. Any relation (e.g. inspiration) to ?

Vyndoriesh

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
Hi all, and our apologies for the absence. We are back now, more ready than ever before. The main reason for our time away was that we found out that the tools we were using would ultimately not work out in the long term, so with that, we bring you update 0.1.2. Our process for updates is going to be much smoother from now on, so expect a lot new content, soon!

Version 0.1.2

❤️
Sfw mode

❤️
New engine, more stable app work

❤️
Backlog, correct skip read only, tips, auto-play, and etc.

❤️
Some important bugs are fixed

❤️
Other small changes

❤️
2 updated CG's for Shay and Kali

And that's not all! We are very happy to launch our 0.2 update over at and will be bringing it to F95 in two weeks' time. If you want to support us, please consider wishlisting the game on Steam, it really helps us out. Thank you all for your patience, and we hope you enjoy 0.1.2!

Reactions: AlexaSky

Havenless_

Oct 12, 2020
Damn. The art is beautiful.

Can I date multiple love interests, or do I have to choose only one per playthrough, or per chapter?

I would like to try several options both straight and gay.

Vyndoriesh

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
Damn. The art is beautiful.

Can I date multiple love interests, or do I have to choose only one per playthrough, or per chapter?

I would like to try several options both straight and gay.
So currently, there is an option at the beginning that allows you to choose your sexuality. If you choose the bisexual option, you get access to these:

Possible endings:
- Romance Lux: no romance with others, (m/m)
- Romance Shay: (m/f)
- Romance Tien: (m/m), help Tien
- Romance Tien + Shay: (m/f), (m/m), help Tien
- Romance Kali: (m/f), Help Kali

For now, you can only romance one character per run, unless you choose the bisexual option. In future builds, the game will allow you to do everything with everyone in one playthrough.

Reactions: DemonKing636

randomname2243

Oct 26, 2017
That feeling when you can't find the one pixel you want to progress to the next part because your monitor is old and doesn't support above 1366x768(Tien route).
1661174753423.png

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes