Cloud9-Kojack

Nov 10, 2019
If Alisha does not finish this game, I am really hoping she will, but is there a way someone could pick up and finish an abandoned project like this?
If they released all their assets, handed over the storyboard, and everything else to a trusted developer that was dedicated to finishing this. Yes....

But then again you're more likely to be struck by lightning at this point. So no....

gekk0z

Nov 6, 2017
nov 2018 = 0.1 released
jan 2020 = 0.2b released
game play state as of 0.2b = DEMO

check Patreon = $1,560 per month
give me more money …. means that the updates will be released faster or with MORE content

boys and girls ... you can draw your own conclusions.

this is why I love f95zone. this forum allows me the gamer to play and contribute funds to projects that are genuine. this forum allows game developers to a source of free marketing.

do well and get paid. scam ... and you still get paid. everybody is happy. (y)

Filippa2000

Jun 22, 2017
nov 2018 = 0.1 released
jan 2020 = 0.2b released

give me more money …. means that the updates will be released faster or with MORE content

this is why I love f95zone. this forum allows me the gamer to play and contribute funds to projects that are genuine. this forum allows game developers to a source of free marketing.

she held off the monthly sub for a while and changed it to per post

• Haha
Reactions: lnppo

hmc15

Apr 4, 2019
nov 2018 = 0.1 released
jan 2020 = 0.2b released

I donate to GOOD projects and also withhold donations from..."other" projects XD

Automata

Apr 10, 2017
If Alisha does not finish this game, I am really hoping she will, but is there a way someone could pick up and finish an abandoned project like this?
Not unless Alisha is willing to give away her assets to someone else, it would be an extremely annoying process to try to recreate everything from hand. So much so it'd be more worthwhile to do your own unique project.

Also illegal and unethical, unless Alishia and Elizabeth both consented.
Do tell, what law is being broken?

Reactions: Thermophob

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
Do tell, what law is being broken?
So you understand that Alishia's assets belong to her, but not that her characters and the existing body of work for the game belongs to her and Elizabeth?

Copyright law is what law would be broken. This game is the intellectual property of Alishia and Elizabeth. For someone else to try to take it over or recreate it without consent from both of the creators would therefore be, as I said before, illegal and unethical.

Automata

Apr 10, 2017
So you understand that Alishia's assets belong to her, but not that her characters and the existing body of work for the game belongs to her and Elizabeth?

Copyright law is what law would be broken. This game is the intellectual property of Alishia and Elizabeth. For someone else to try to take it over or recreate it without consent from both of the creators would therefore be, as I said before, illegal and unethical.
I figured you'd say that. However, it's more complex than that to actually prove it. Specially when the assets you are referring to seem to be DAZ assets that can be licensed to anyone. Recreation or reverse-engineering and parody all has special conditions under the law.

The story and the actual images (not a reproduction) in this case has more right to protection than any "asset" she's shown. Highly unethical, legally grey and mostly likely do-able without any legal recourse if the person made a few tweaks to things like names and UI.

Something like Summertime Saga where the assets are wholly created by the team would be easier to defend if this ever went to any US court. Not to mention, the issues with this if the offender isn't in a country covered by the Berne Convention.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
I figured you'd say that. However, it's more complex than that to actually prove it. Specially when the assets you are referring to seem to be DAZ assets that can be licensed to anyone. Recreation or reverse-engineering and parody all has special conditions under the law.
Proving it is a matter for lawyers and courts. Whether or not it's legal or ethical doesn't depend on proving the case. If Person B steals Person A's work, that's both illegal and unethical, whether or not the matter is ever prosecuted, or even discovered.

The story and the actual images (not a reproduction) in this case has more right to protection than any "asset" she's shown. Highly unethical, legally grey and mostly likely do-able without any legal recourse if the person made a few tweaks to things like names and UI.
Once again, addressing the question of provability doesn't change the actual legality. And more importantly, at least for some people, it doesn't make it right (the question of ethics).

Something like Summertime Saga where the assets are wholly created by the team would be easier to defend if this ever went to any US court. Not to mention, the issues with this if the offender isn't in a country covered by the Berne Convention.
The Berne Convention isn't the only international convention covering copyrights. There are also the Universal Copyright Convention, the Buenos Ares Convention, the WIPO Copyright treaty, the TRIPS treaty, and a few others I can't remember. As I recall, there are currently only about half a dozen nations where they don't recognize international copyrights. I know that Iran and Iraq are both on that list, as well as a couple of African countries (Somalia comes to mind, but I'm not sure.). And while China is a member of multiple copyright treaties, they have a reputation for not respecting copyright law.

So, unless you're in one of the half-dozen or so countries which don't honor international copyrights, trying to continue this (or any) game without the creator's consent is illegal, whether anything is ever done about it or not. And even in those nations, it's still unethical.

BiffTannon

May 13, 2020
Per request, here is my unofficial android port of The Red Room - v0.2b (Patched)
Let me know if you find any problem.

You can request me any game you want. I will try my best.

Join my

You can if you want.

My software says Android version has a Trojan ransomware virus, to delete right away.

Reactions: Zoomer420
3.70 star(s) 69 Votes