El Tanque

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
This is interesting because in my game she says "Goodnight. No, let's just say goodnight Randy." which again sucks because it makes it look like she's a liar but man if I was MC and heard her agree to kiss him she'd definitely be looking for a new place to stay.
It all depends on what points you have made with her, I played two paths, one where you give more attention to Kari, and one where not so much, in one she kisses Ranwi and in the other she doesn't. simple as that. ;)

In both paths, she hides that she's dating that guy, (maybe I don't remember exactly), but in both of them Ranwi ends up taking her home. :confused:

Anyway, the dev has already said that he's going to review the Ranwi thing.(y)

Last edited:

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Question for you guys:

You may be familiar with the expression "breaking the fourth wall."

It's used mostly in television when a character directly addresses the viewer.

I've done something similar a few times in the game (once to translate from miles to kilometers, and a couple of times for comedic effect during meetings with Lois and Mallory).

My question is, does it "work" or does it take you too much out of the game?

Would it be better to drop it entirely, or create a narrator character or something else?

There are a couple of times when there's just straight explanatory text, like at the beginning of Day 1 when it says "Today's the day your adventures really begin" and explains the Quick Menu and Status info.

Another time, it reminds you that text in italics represents what someone is thinking.

So what works best?

Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
There are a couple of times when there's just straight explanatory text, like at the beginning of Day 1 when it says "Today's the day your adventures really begin" and explains the Quick Menu and Status info.
Personally I don't mind explanations like that, for me they work like the informations about place and time of action in the movie that appear in a written form or when you're watching film from a foreing country and there are some cultural references and they're explained in the subtitles very quickly. However I don't like breaking the 4th wall when characters speak directly to the player, know they're game characters and so on. A little bit of that could be ok (esp. imo when kept rather vague), but too much of it really takes me out from experience.

Reactions: mofonistik

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Question for you guys:

I've done something similar a few times in the game (once to translate from miles to kilometers, and a couple of times for comedic effect during meetings with Lois and Mallory).

Would it be better to drop it entirely, or create a narrator character or something else?

Another time, it reminds you that text in italics represents what someone is thinking.

So what works best?
I'm not a huge fan, but I don't think it's a big deal so long as it's not overdone.

Nova1811

May 6, 2018
Question for you guys:

So what works best?
It only makes sense to me if the game plays out with the MC telling their story, though I do prefer if it's just explanatory text.
I played a VN once where a LI broke the fourth wall during a sex scene, and I cringed so hard I instantly deleted the game and never went back

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
Does anyone have a copy of The Roommate v0.2? There was a lot of dialog and scenes cut by v0.3, and I accidentally deleted my copy. For example: "You fall asleep with the image of Kari's face fresh in your mind."

Chapter 5 especially was changed significantly, and not necessarily for the better. I recreated one of the cut scenes from it as best as I could from memory and old save logs as a mod of the Joker Walkthrough mod.
View attachment ch05.rpy

Last edited:

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Actually almost nothing was cut between releases. Some things got moved around.

The reactions if you said you didn't want to carry on living with Kari were toned down.

The line you quoted is actually from the end of day 2. But Ch/Day 5 has hardly changed at all.

Emelex

Nov 15, 2018
Actually almost nothing was cut between releases. Some things got moved around.

The reactions if you said you didn't want to carry on living with Kari were toned down.

The line you quoted is actually from the end of day 2. But Ch/Day 5 has hardly changed at all.
I'm sorry. But I thought for sure there was an extra scene you could get in v0.2 where if Kari has high sluttiness and you agree to sex in return for dinner, she actually goes through with it, after which she leaves and it's Game Over. And I'm certain there was a scene at the end of v0.2 which previews you giving Kari oral sex followed by her saying "Oh! Oh, [PLAYERNAME]! Don't stop...". If those were in previous versions of the game but got taken out, I wouldn't mind so much, as long as they either get/got put back in, or I could get my hands on a copy of v0.2. If they were moved to different places in the current version of the game, I haven't found them. I attached a copy of one of the images from one of my old saves that I couldn't find in v0.3.

Just to be clear, if any of what I wrote could be read as sarcastic or insulting, I assure you I wasn't trying to write it like that. It absolutely was not my intent to come across at all disrespectful.

Last edited:

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Yes, you're right, although that's what I meant when I said about toning down. There were several paths that I just didn't have time to explore in the initial release and so they led to one line resolutions that ended the game. My intention being that people would simply roll back from that path. But there were complaints about bad endings, so it was dialed back, including the scene you're talking about. They're still not fully realized at this stage, but the game is called "The Roommate".

Also, if I remember correctly, you had to use the cheat code to make her slutty enough for that scene to play. It was really just for fun in early tests, and I'd forgotten all about it.

The oral sex scene was meant as a preview, just to underline the promise that you'll get to having sex eventually, but again there's been criticism that it's gone too fast or that there wasn't enough build up.

My response to that, as always, is that it's not a finished game. I'm still working stuff out, making changes to accommodate what I still think is a huge over-reaction on some people's part to what was supposed to be a sub-plot and so on. Plus the game has already evolved in ways I didn't originally anticipate, and it's a lot of bloody work! ;)

So, in version 0.4 there are further changes, but again it's about fleshing out the story. There's a tweak to the background story as mentioned elsewhere and a couple of extra scenes where you get to sit and watch a movie with Kari. Just to prove she really is a nice girl, like I said...

Anyway, long story short, there'll be plenty of sex eventually (when I get permission from everyone else here... ;) )

I could send you 0.2, but it seems like overkill for the sake of a couple of images. Message me if you're missing the other one.

I need to get on, because I'm trying really hard to get version 0.4 done!

I hope to have it ready by Sunday, but it's going to depend on a lot of things going smoothly (including work).

Based on the experience with 0.3 and the added complexities at each stage, I would also expect to do a 0.4.1 within a few days of the next release, so bear that in mind before doing any translations, walkthroughs or anything else unauthorized! :p

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Finally, before I go back to ignoring you all for a while...

- I haven't had time to explore discord yet, so don't hold your breath on that

- I'll be releasing a number of assets as freebies on renderosity once 0.4 is done

- I'll be doing a blog with a lot more background, etc, at togs-3d.com. Nothing much to see just yet.

And as to what's in 0.4...

- More of what seem to be becoming the favourite characters: Kari (of course), and also Lois and Mallory
- Another chance to shag Marina (hey, it's better than masturbating in the shower)
- Slight re-working of the Ashley storyline with a view to expanding on that later
- A showdown with Mrs. Jakes from HR
- The expansion and completion of the whole thing with Randy
- The first round of interviews with candidates for the receptionist position
- The bit where you discover Kari and Lois are actually your sisters
- And some other stuff as well

P.S. One of the above isn't true.

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
I think in the case of most of these breastaurants their sartorial choices are about as authentic as their cuisine.

Sadly, you can see the edge of Kari's panties peeking out of the waistband of her skirt.

She's no more wearing a kilt than any of us [waits for the inevitable smart alec comments...]

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Again it really makes me wonder about what her long-term arc is going to look like; is our guy going to encourage that kind of thing or discourage it? If our guy weren't filthy rich I'd wonder if the 'dark' side might be exploiting her for money, but that doesn't seem too likely with him being inheritor to an empire.

3.80 star(s) 77 Votes